Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
HistoryProf

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#1526 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 am

Jeff wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:I don't recall where the post was made, but Shooting/Hired Hand were confirmed by someone close to Hellman as being 'forthcoming from Criterion' a few months ago.
The only reference I can dig up on our forum to Criterion possibly releasing The Hired Hand is your guess here. Maybe someone on Facebook or another forum guessed it? While it's certainly possible that The Hired Hand has been licensed to Criterion (Fonda and Universal previously released a great special edition through Sundance Home Entertainment, which is presumably now part of IFC), I can't find mention of it anywhere. Google only returns this discussion.

At any rate, Monte Hellman had nothing to do with that film. He mentioned the upcoming Blu-rays of The Shooting and Ride the Whirlwind via Twitter, and has previously said that they had been licensed to Criterion.
well there you go...my addled brain transformed "Ride The Whirlwind" into "The Hired Hand." For some reason I always think of tHH when I think of the Shooting. But that Hellman tweet is what I was thinking of. My apologies for the mix up.

Jameson281

#1527 Post by Jameson281 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but after his presentation on THE REEL THING on the restoration of HEAVEN'S GATE, Lee Kline was asked about upcoming projects. He mentioned some titles that have already been announced, then mentioned that they're working on BRAZIL (presumably for Blu-ray).

ianungstad

#1528 Post by ianungstad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Great news! I'm sure most people expected a Brazil upgrade to be in the works but it's nice to know it's happening sooner rather than later.

ryannichols7

#1529 Post by ryannichols7 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:43 pm

this forum's favorite designer Sam Smith, via Twitter:
Sam's Myth ‏@SamsMyth
Just had a totally transcendent viewing of a film I'm working on w @Criterion. Truly my #1 dream assignment.

Sam's Myth ‏@SamsMyth
I first saw this film on a 14" tv in NYU's media library. I've seen it a dozen times since. Tonight was like seeing it for the first time.

matrixschmatrix

#1530 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Sweet, I feel a Border Radio upgrade coming up

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1531 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh no... I have a feeling Sam Smith is doing the cover for Eraserhead...

I don't dislike everything he's done for the collection, but he's had a few all-time worst cover efforts (Modern Times, Something Wild) that make me worried. Let's hope this is more The Phantom Carriage than those.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1532 Post by swo17 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 pm

I wouldn't completely fault him for those. I know that for Modern Times at least he had a lot of other ideas but was directed to go with the "simple iconic" one.

ryannichols7

#1533 Post by ryannichols7 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:20 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Oh no... I have a feeling Sam Smith is doing the cover for Eraserhead...

I don't dislike everything he's done for the collection, but he's had a few all-time worst cover efforts (Modern Times, Something Wild) that make me worried. Let's hope this is more The Phantom Carriage than those.
my mind definitely came to Eraserhead too. i do hope it's different than every other Eraserhead cover, but is something really good.

Smith is in the middle for me. i like a lot of his work, but some of it (coincidentally, most of his Criterion covers) are terrible. World on a Wire, Hausu, Kuroneko, and a lot of his gig poster/Nashville screening stuff is good to me.

i think we're getting off topic now and this should be in the cover art thread, but i still haven't gotten the hang of this place. regardless, he likely means Eraserhead, which should come in the next few months.

bainbridgezu

#1534 Post by bainbridgezu » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Sam's Myth ‏@SamsMyth
I first saw this film on a 14" tv in NYU's media library. I've seen it a dozen times since. Tonight was like seeing it for the first time.
It's probably not Eraserhead. A quick search of Smith's blog reveals that he graduated from NYU in 2004, but first watched Eraserhead in 2007.

onedimension

#1535 Post by onedimension » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:30 pm

Andrei Rublev?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1536 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 am

It could literally be any movie that's been readily available over the past ten years and that isn't terrible (or maybe is).

onedimension

#1537 Post by onedimension » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:18 am

totally transcendent, #1 dream assignment, seen a dozen times suggest it's something major- tonight was like the first time suggests a high quality restoration-

I'm calling Tokyo Story, Dreyer's Joan of Arc, or Andrei Rublev-

ShellOilJunior

#1538 Post by ShellOilJunior » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:27 am

ryannichols7 wrote:this forum's favorite designer Sam Smith, via Twitter:
Sam's Myth ‏@SamsMyth
Just had a totally transcendent viewing of a film I'm working on w @Criterion. Truly my #1 dream assignment.

Sam's Myth ‏@SamsMyth
I know my school's library has a similar setup for watching films onsite because they don't allow people to borrow anything. In college I had to do this a few times because the films weren't available anywhere else. I recall a viewing of The African Queen on laser disc where they had to wheel out a TV and video cart for me. They also had those small booth rooms with 15 inch televisions.

My guess is: Olympia

Alan Smithee

#1539 Post by Alan Smithee » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:36 am

I'm crossing my fingers that they make a fresh cover for Eraserhead but I would be surprised. Lynch has been in control of what the cover was from the beginning and has shown no signs of wanting to change. The soundtrack was recently re-released on vinyl, same cover. Criterion might go against his wishes but I doubt it. It would all come down to whether he's open to it. I personally think his covers for his self released stuff have been awful. The cover for Eraserhead is iconic but stuff like the shorts and I.E. are amateur.

duck duck

#1540 Post by duck duck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 am

I would expect the Eraserhead cover to be similar to Rosemary's Baby, nearly the same but a little wider or taller.
But then again people get off on making fun of me.... So, what do I know.

JimmyTango

#1541 Post by JimmyTango » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:08 am

duck duck wrote:I would expect the Eraserhead cover to be similar to Rosemary's Baby, nearly the same but a little wider or taller.
But then again I get off on making fun of Criterion forum.... So, what do I know.
Fixed.

Daze

#1542 Post by Daze » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Another possibility for the SamsMyth tease -- The Overcoat. This Criterion Cast post mentions a new print slated to play at NYFF:

http://criterioncast.com/news/restored- ... nyff-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has the FEKS group been mentioned as a Criterion possibility? I haven't been following closely lately.

Otherwise Passion of Joan of Arc fits. First time I saw a good 35mm print on a big screen was a revelation.

ellipsis7

#1543 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm

See a new resto of Rosi's THE MATTEI AFFAIR among the NYFF lineup - a promising indication that it might end up on CC BR/DVD in the not too distant future...
THE MATTEI AFFAIR (Il caso Mattei) (1972) 116min
Director: Francesco Rosi
Just as Italy was beginning its industrial boom in the 1950s, businessman Enrico Mattei was developing the methane gas reserves found in the Po Valley—not simply to enrich himself, but to make Italy energy-efficient and free of the control of the multinational energy companies, the “seven sisters.” Working through public companies, Mattei struck deals with Middle East oil producers, with Russia, and had even begun initial talks with China, when, in October 1962, his private plane crashed just outside Milan Airport. Unfortunate accident—or assassination? Thanks to a beautiful restoration by Martin Scorsese’s Film Foundation, this masterpiece by the great Francesco Rosi can be seen once again. Co-winner of the Palme d’Or in Cannes, THE MATTEI AFFAIR is both a revealing investigation into Mattei’s death as well as a provocative assessment of his place in the postwar Italian economy. As Mattei, Gian Maria Volonté gives one of his greatest performances. Restored by Cineteca di Bologna at the lab L’Immagine Ritrovata in collaboration with The Film Foundation, Paramount Pictures and Museo Nazionale del Cinema of Turin. Restoration financed by Gucci, Eni, and The Film Foundation.

ryannichols7

#1544 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 pm

isn't the Mattei Affair a Paramount title? that's almost surely going to be a Criterion.

stroszeck

#1545 Post by stroszeck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Any chance Criterion will be able to put together a Bigas Luna set? I never ordered the Tartan one while I had a chance and I think it would be awesome to see some of his works on HD (Jamon Jamon, The Tit and the Moon..)

onedimension

#1546 Post by onedimension » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Since I don't think they've been mentioned, I'll float Ugetsu & Sansho as other possibilities for a paired December blu-grade..

Stefan Andersson

#1547 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 am

Any chance of Criterion putting Thomas Gunning´s excellent commentary (from the laserdisc) on an eventual Sansho Dayu Blu?

Matt

#1548 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:23 pm

If they didn't put it on the DVD edition and used a different commentary instead, it seems unlikely that they'd put it on an eventual Blu-ray edition. Anything's possible, though.

Calvin

#1549 Post by Calvin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Other than The Immortal Story, has anyone heard anything about Criterion releasing Orson Welles' lesser-known works (i.e. the shorts and made-for-TV stuff)? Due to the length of the unreleased films, they might even be able to fit one one Blu-Ray disc.

zedz

#1550 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Calvin wrote:Other than The Immortal Story, has anyone heard anything about Criterion releasing Orson Welles' lesser-known works (i.e. the shorts and made-for-TV stuff)? Due to the length of the unreleased films, they might even be able to fit one one Blu-Ray disc.
Much of this is being worked on by Edition Filmmuseum for their long-promised 'Unknown Orson Welles' set. Nobody else is going to get their hands on this particular treasure trove until that comes out. (One exception: the 'reconstructed' trailer for F for Fake, which MoC were allowed to include as an Easter Egg.)

EDIT: And if you've got an 'Unknown Orson Welles' set from Edition Filmmuseum, why would you need one from Criterion?