Voyage of Time (Terrence Malick, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
ivuernis

#1 Post by ivuernis » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:50 am

Cde. wrote:
Fierias wrote:
Nigel Ashcroft

Currently Nigel is working on 2 major projects with legendary film director, Terrence Malick. As well as producing an extensive natural history segment for Malick’s latest feature film, The Tree of Life starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, they are making an Imax film entitled The Voyage of Time. Both are due to release at the end of 2009.
I'm amazed no-one seems to care about this. If true, it pretty much seals this film as being 'Q' (natural history? 'The Voyage of Time'?) and the thought of Malick shooting an IMAX film is almost too much for me. Forget The Dark Knight, the real moment IMAX becomes a serious format is when Malick gives us a film made in that format.
I'm stoked by this news as it does indeed sound like this film could be 'Q'. Any new film by Terrence Malick is something to cherish and if Tree of Life is 'Q' (or something similar) then this about the best news any Malick fan could wish for.

'The Voyage of Time' sounds to me like it might be a documentary though, probably using footage not used for the natural history segments of ‘Q’, sorry… Tree of Life.

"Imagine this surrealistic reptilian world. There is this creature, a Minotaur, sleeping in the water, and he dreams about the evolution of the universe, seeing the earth change from a sea of magma to the earliest vegetation, to the dinosaurs, and then to man. It would be this metaphorical story that moves you through time."

Nothing

#2 Post by Nothing » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:05 pm

but is this proper IMAX (70mmx2) or is it the poxy new digital version of IMAX? Only time will tell, I guess.

Cde.

Re: The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2009)

#3 Post by Cde. » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:13 am

Mr Finch wrote:I'd love to see the IMAX film released on DVD eventually. Might make a nice double bill with The Tree of Life.
I'm sure it will make a great double bill. From the sounds of it, the two films are parts of a whole and meant to be viewed together.
This is going to be my most anticipated film of 2009 (delay to 2010 notwithstanding) alongside Michael Mann's Public Enemies.
My picks as well.

This is most likely a location for The Voyage of Time.

This definitely is.

Other known locations are Iceland and Chile. Speaking of which, here are some nice shots from the filming.

EDIT: As usual, the photos are now gone. They never existed, and in fact, there is no such film as Voyage of Time.

Cde.

Re: The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)

#4 Post by Cde. » Mon May 16, 2011 5:03 am

Nothing wrote:
Best #Cannes rumor I've heard so far: Terrence Malick planning a near-silent IMAX version of The Tree of Life for 1 year from now.
Well that would be Voyage of Time, wouldn't it. Would be great if the project is still alive, for sure...
Douglas Trumbull suggested it was coming in a year or two at a talk a few weeks back. So it looks like it is still coming, thankfully.

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Wed May 25, 2011 12:50 am

The Fanciful Norwegian

#6 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:49 am

Co-financers of Voyage of Time sue Malick, accuse him of working on everything except Voyage of Time

Well, okay, that's an exaggeration--they concede he apparently did some more filming for it last year (!). Full text of the suit available here.

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 pm

So somebody's suing Terence Malick for making too many movies. :shock:

pzadvance

Re: Voyage of Time (Terrence Malick, 2014)

#9 Post by pzadvance » Tue May 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Technically won't be a full premiere. The terminology they're using is that producers will "present first images of the project to selected buyers at Cannes."

Sounds like it isn't finished yet, but we'll be getting a feature-length version alongside a 40-minute "large format"/IMAX version in 2016.

hearthesilence

Re: Voyage of Time (Terrence Malick, 2014)

#10 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Ah, you're right - they actually updated the article since it was originally posted.

sir_luke

Re: Voyage of Time (Terrence Malick, 2016)

#11 Post by sir_luke » Tue May 13, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm just glad to finally hear something about it again. After the legal debacle, there was an extended unsettling silence, and I (along with many others) was seriously wondering whether it was kaput. I'm beyond thrilled for this film, and I'm relieved to know that it's actually happening.

ianungstad

Re: Terrence Malick

#13 Post by ianungstad » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:42 pm

The article also mentions that it's being distributed by Broad Green Pictures in North America. They are an upstart company funded by a pair of billionaire brothers. They recently picked up 99 Homes and Eden...seems to be a company worth keeping an eye on. It'll be interesting to see who they partner with on eventual dvds and blu rays. (Please; not Lionsgate!)

gorgeousnothings

#15 Post by gorgeousnothings » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 pm

My first instinct was "Why? He's just going to dump it and use classical pieces anyways," but I'm actually really glad. The Days of Heaven soundtrack was beautiful, and at least Morricone knows how Malick is going to use his music, which he can keep in mind when composing. I'm looking forward to hearing this.

flyonthewall2983

#16 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:45 am

colinr0380

#17 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 pm

It looks like a Fibonacci sequence/golden ratio! Although didn't the last film that featured it end rather badly for the main character?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#18 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:29 pm

I think you meant Nymph()maniac but your point still stands.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#19 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:37 pm

ianungstad wrote:The article also mentions that it's being distributed by Broad Green Pictures in North America. They are an upstart company funded by a pair of billionaire brothers. They recently picked up 99 Homes and Eden...seems to be a company worth keeping an eye on. It'll be interesting to see who they partner with on eventual dvds and blu rays. (Please; not Lionsgate!)
They could really stand to get their shit together: The Neon Demon's release was totally bungled, opening in too many theaters (783 screens!) but all clustered around metro areas - it's playing in several theaters in my area, but in certain parts of the country isn't playing at all. It's the 39th worst wide opening weekend of all time, and 99 Homes is 42nd, so there are definitely logistical problems going on there. A24 isn't doing too much better (Green Room is 15th on this list!) with the whole wide release thing so far. While I admire the ambition, some of these new distributors on the block need to have more realistic expectations for how niche some (or all) of their films are, and engage in slower arthouse rollouts for them instead of having a nationwide release in a ton of theaters that aren't spread out enough.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:10 pm

The Neon Demon isn't playing at the local art house or the mainstream theatre here, it's instead playing at the same multiplexes way the heck out of town where all the horror movies get dumped. I guess they thought they'd get that audience over the MICA kids or bougies here in the actual city!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#21 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:32 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if Broad Green isn't just booking whereever they can get the film squeezed in, and if they have limited relationships at this early stage in their existence. But as a result, the map of where the film is booked is really awkward and I'm sure it'll be long gone from most theaters after next week. It's a shame, because if they were just playing it more appropriate places (Philadelphia sounds similar - we have Landmark arthouses in the city, then skewing old semi-arthouses like BMFI in the suburbs - none of these are screening The Neon Demon) I'm sure it would've done better bank and would have endured longer into the summer. And I wasn't even that fond of the film, but it definitely deserved better than the release it got.

Trees

#22 Post by Trees » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:42 pm

LOVE the poster.

antnield

#23 Post by antnield » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:21 am

gfxtwin

#24 Post by gfxtwin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:04 am

The trailer seems to confirm my hope that this could be Malick making something that feels & looks like 2001:ASO meets the Qatsi trilogy. This is my most anticipated from him, and if it even remotely meets expectations it will kinda be the movie I've always wanted to see since my fascination with space, prehistory and the future as a kid. So hyped right now. Any word on when/how the feature length version will be released though?

flyonthewall2983

#25 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:54 am

Not yet.