1170 Bergman Island

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

1170 Bergman Island

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 am

Bergman Island

Writer-director Mia Hansen-Løve embarks on a luminous summertime odyssey to the home of Ingmar Bergman for her seventh feature, a graceful, shape-shifting tale about the interplay of life and art and the ways in which stories are born. In search of inspiration for their current filmmaking projects, Chris (Vicky Krieps) and her partner (Tim Roth) travel to the remote island of Fårö, Sweden, where Bergman lived and worked for decades. There, the spirit of the cinema master looms as Chris confronts her complicated relationships to work, men, motherhood, and her artistic influences. Also featuring radiant performances from Mia Wasikowska and Anders Danielsen Lie, Bergman Island is a rich deconstruction of the mysteries of the creative process and the journey that every film takes from thought to page to screen.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• 2K digital master, approved by director Mia Hansen-Løve, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
• New interview with Hansen-Løve
• New interview with actor Vicky Krieps
Bergman's Ghosts (2021), a short film made during the filming of Bergman Island by actor Gabe Klinger
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: An essay by critic Devika Girish

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 11 & 477 The Seventh Seal and Bergman Island

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:31 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 am
Mia Hansen-Løve's next film is also called Bergman Island
Also chosen by Arte France Cinéma is Bergman Island by Mia Hansen-Løve, with filming due to commence this summer, featuring Greta Gerwig, John Turturro, Mia Wasikowska and Anders Danielsen Lie among the cast. This will be the 7th full-length film by the director, following on from All is Forgiven [+] (Directors’ Fortnight 2007), Father of my Children [+] (Special Jury Award of the Un Certain Regard competition in Cannes, 2009), Goodbye First Love [+] (Special Mention in Locarno, 2011), Eden [+] (presented in Toronto, 2014 and in competition in the San Sebastian Film Festival), Things to Come [+] (Silver Bear for best direction in Berlin, 2016) and Maya (currently in post-production). Her next film, which focuses on a couple but also on the creative process, will be set on the little Swedish island of Farö, which Ingmar Bergman made his home, and where some of his great masterpieces were shot. At the heart of the tale are two filmmakers who have travelled to the island in search of inspiration. But things don’t go as planned. A strange distance takes root between the young woman and her husband. As the days go by, fiction melds with reality, and the island’s secrets gradually float to the surface … Handling the production of the picture are CG Cinéma (France), Plattform Produktion (Sweden), Bioskop Film (Germany) and Scope Pictures (Belgium).
More info

Morbii

Re: Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 2019)

#3 Post by Morbii » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:31 am

Looks interesting.

Maybe Criterion can secure the rights and release it as spine #477 since the doc comes with Seventh Seal also!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:41 pm

The film's DP Denis Lenoir is writing a blog of the production; in part II he reveals that "the main actor" (John Turturro) can't leave the U.S. "for private reasons" and will also be recast (in addition to the already-announced replacement of Gerwig with Vicky Krieps).

All the Best People

#5 Post by All the Best People » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:41 pm
The film's DP Denis Lenoir is writing a blog of the production; in part II he reveals that "the main actor" (John Turturro) can't leave the U.S. "for private reasons" and will also be recast (in addition to the already-announced replacement of Gerwig with Vicky Krieps).
These links no longer work, even though a Google search points to them also. MHL is one of my favorite current directors so I'd love to read these if they reappear.

senseabove

#6 Post by senseabove » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 am

MHL was asked about this during some Q&As at BAMPFA and said that they shot half of it last Summer and will be shooting the rest this coming Summer.

She's doing a retro this week of most of her work (everything but Maya) plus a few selections from other directors, and I've very much liked the ones I've been able to get to (including two of her choices: Hou's Café Lumière and Gerard Blain's Le Pélican). Unless I'm overlooking something, I was a little surprised I couldn't find more discussion of her movies here...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 am

She came up in this thread at least

FrauBlucher

Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 2019)

#8 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am

Mia Hansen-Love writes and directs Bergman Island
"The picture revolves around an American filmmaking couple who retreat to the island for the summer to each write screenplays for their upcoming films in an act of pilgrimage to the place that inspired Bergman. As the summer and their screenplays advance, the lines between reality and fiction start to blur against the backdrop of the Island's wild landscape."
Looks like cast has changed since initial post.

Cremildo

#9 Post by Cremildo » Wed May 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Tim Roth has joined the cast.

THR describes it as a "supernatural melodrama".

senseabove

Re: Bergman Island (Mia Hansen-Løve, 20??)

#10 Post by senseabove » Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 am

Not sure where else to put this since Hansen-Løve doesn't have her own thread (I'd be happy to gather materials to start one), but does anyone know an English-friendly way to see either her first, short film, "Après mûre réflexion," or her last film, Maya? I see a French DVD of Maya, but that's it, and while the trailer makes it seem mostly in English so I might could muddle through with my poor French, it'd be nice not to have to.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1170 Bergman Island

#11 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:46 pm

furbicide

Re: 1170 Bergman Island

#12 Post by furbicide » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:52 pm

Surprised there hasn't been much discussion of this (unless I've missed it elsewhere on the site?).

As much as I was initially sceptical about the project – I was dreading an attempt at some kind of meta homage – I thought this was a pretty interesting and enjoyable film whose references go deep enough into Bergman's filmography to keep tragics satisfied while allowing him to recede enough into the background for the film to be able to breathe its own air. And there's quite a bit of critical evaluation of the master's legacy at the film's heart too, which is refreshing; it shows that you can present an unvarnished take on a beloved filmmaker without needing to do a cheap hit job (à la Le Redoubtable).

I was particularly relieved that Hansen-Løve makes no attempt whatsoever to mimic Bergman's style or ape his themes – this is really just a low-key gloomy holiday movie, more in the realm of Before Midnight than any kind of bargain-bin Scenes from a Marriage. Anyhow, I've been a fan of pretty much all of Hansen-Løve's work, but I think this might be her best film yet, or at least on par with Things to Come.

therewillbeblus

Re: 1170 Bergman Island

#13 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:00 am

And this is the only film of her's I downright disliked, but I think the make/break line kind of rides on how affected you are by the bifurcated 'other half' and impressions of what it reveals. I didn't think it had anything to say, but I'm interested in other readings which may enhance appreciation!