The Hunt (Craig Zobel, 2020)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Luke M

Re: L'art de la guerre politique

#26 Post by Luke M » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 am

Pro-Trump movie cancelled by Trump.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#27 Post by cdnchris » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 am

Obviously they never looked into what it was about and is just another example of this admininstration flying by the seat of its pants. Like how they're now delaying some Chinese tariffs, realizing they're actually negatively impacting the economy. The incompetence just leaks everywhere.

Finch

#29 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:23 pm

It's also fair to ask why The Hunt is being singled out when Lionsgate opens Angel Has Fallen, a film that looks to have as much gun violence as the former, on August 23, and Fox has Ready or Not coming out in the same week, with that film also riffing on the "rich people hunting the lower classes" idea.

Nasir007

#30 Post by Nasir007 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Luke M wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 am
This is kinda the part I don't understand.

I actually read about the script on a script website before I ever saw the trailer or knew it was even being made. The premise was of rich liberals murdering trump voters for fun. I first of all thought, why would anybody write a movie like this? Hollywood will never make it.

So lo and behold they somehow actually make this movie.

I think the tone they took in the trailers killed them. They had to be very careful. If the showed the trumpies as the good guys, they would be decimated on twitter and critics would tear apart the film limb for limb. If they showed the liberals as the good guys, they would get dinged for advocating the murder of political opponents. So they pitched the trailer and marketing down the middle concentrating on the scholock and gore aspects.

Thus everyone misunderstood it and trumpies thought it was liberals celebrating their murder.

OR... OR....

trumpies did know the true thrust of the movie (the script is widely available to read) and they just created a fake culture war to "own the libs".

Only the joke's on them, because nobody cares to defend the movie and this was a movie that actually portrayed them as heroes.

flyonthewall2983

Re: The Hunt (Craig Zobel, TBD)

#31 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 pm

I read an article speculating worry on HBO's part about people getting similarly up in arms over Watchmen, but I doubt HBO is going to buckle on this the way people supposedly thought Universal did. The promotion for it was not only not that great, but I felt a little half-hearted. Same goes sadly for Don't Let Go which had a nice trailer but I'm not hearing a whole lot about.

Big Ben

#32 Post by Big Ben » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:58 pm

I imagine Watchmen will not have such a, say B Movie presence about it and given the presence of so many black actors in it's cast I doubt it's going to be a screed on say, Black Lives Matter. This is just a movie that came out at the wrong time and Trump capitalized on it. I imagine it'll be dumped somewhere later when Trump isn't willing to (publicly) blame everything but guns for gun violence.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#33 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 am

Nasir007 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 pm
Luke M wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 am
This is kinda the part I don't understand.
I don't think there is anything more to understand than irrational people doing irrational things.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#34 Post by cdnchris » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:46 am

Finch wrote:and Fox has Ready or Not coming out in the same week, with that film also riffing on the "rich people hunting the lower classes" idea.
But that one has Henry Czerny and Andie MacDowell. No one in their right mind would object to something with that pairing, no matter their politics.

Finch

#35 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#36 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Also, the movie used to knock children's ice cream cones out of their hands, and put nails in people's tires

Noiradelic

#37 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Damon Lindelhof co-produced and co-wrote it.

From the trailer it seems like a liberal Hollywood take on what Trumpists think is the kind of movie liberal Hollywood would make if they were making an anti-Trumpist movie. The liberal elites appear to be the bad guys, but since Lindelhof and Blumhouse were involved, I assume the movie's politics are tongue-in-cheek.

Nasir007

#38 Post by Nasir007 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:25 pm

I think it was their attempt at 'subversion' or shock or surprise to make the liberals the villains and the trump voters the good guys.

Though I am not sure the reverse would necessarily have been a better premise for such a film.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#39 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Literally no one here has seen this movie

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#40 Post by Brian C » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Literally no one here has seen this movie
And no more than a very small number of people here would have seen it had it been released. Trump’s ability to drive the discourse really knows no bounds.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#41 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 pm

I just meant that there's so much speculation about what the intentions behind it are, what the plot is doing and for what reasons - we have no idea whatsoever, everyone can take a chill pill before ruminating on the political subtext of a movie you haven't seen.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#42 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Further to that: Like any premise of any movie, there's conceivably a good way of making it, a bad way of making it, and many ways in between

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 pm

I haven’t really been following this whole kerfuffle but has no one mentioned that there’s already been a recent movie exactly like this called Beyond the Reach? That one was not subtle at all about the big bad liberal game hunter Michael Douglas going after the red state just folks tracker, but as far as I’m aware it didn’t ruffle a single feather on either side of the political divide

flyonthewall2983

#44 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 pm

Douglas' character would probably have been more right-wing, he drove what a huge gas-guzzling Jeep and is described in the synopsis as a "high-rolling corporate shark". There is some minor class warfare in the story, but it's not very political otherwise.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:07 pm

I don’t agree, Douglas is given numerous markers of being part of what the right imagines the “elite” left is like. It’s a deeply conservative movie

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#46 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:14 pm

That movie came out five years ago, it was a completely different world

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#47 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:20 am

This seemed, in the trailer I saw before Crawl, to be more of a Westworld or Hostel type concept (at least in loose framework) where the wealthy pay to be able to kill folks who were kidnapped and funneled into these set dressed scenarios.

flyonthewall2983

#48 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:07 pm
I don’t agree, Douglas is given numerous markers of being part of what the right imagines the “elite” left is like. It’s a deeply conservative movie
Name them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:54 am

Douglas’ entire arc is as an aloof outsider who thinks he knows better than the “folks” he’s exploiting. He is out of touch and out of place, but he still thinks he knows what the people are all about... sound like any arguments we’ve been hearing lately from those wearing red hats? And you also have to look at how the protagonist is painted with all conventional conservative traits in contrast. That Douglas of course just wants to literally discard those he deems beneath him (such as the honest working man protag) when it serves his purpose is two-fold commentary: the obvious Marxist one, but also the very real apprehension conservatives have about Liberal Elites thinking they know better than those they’re “helping” (think of Reagan’s famous line about the scariest words)

Also, in the future, when you’d like me to expand on my thoughts, please just ask me to do so

flyonthewall2983

#50 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:35 pm

I could have worded that a bit more like an actual question than a challenge, so I apologize.

More a question because I haven't seen this movie in awhile and don't remember liking it very much at all, and remember not taking that much away from his performance.

Edit: Right after posting this, I did some Googling and discovered that this was based on a novel, that was previously adapted into a TV movie, with Andy Griffith playing Douglas' character.