Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
captveg

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2801 Post by captveg » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:49 pm

Initial November schedule (more to be added)

11/3
The Shepherd of the Hills (1941)
Buried Alive (1990) - New 2K Master by KL

11/10
Bustin' Loose (1981)
Amazon Women on the Moon (1987)
The Beguiled (1971) - New 2K Master by KL
Play Misty for Me (1971) - New 2K Master by KL
The Eiger Sanction (1975) - New 2K Master by KL

11/17
Dragnet (1954) - New 2K Master by KL
Ulysses (1954) - 4K Restoration
The Wonders of Aladdin (1961) - New 4K Restoration
Grace of My Heart (1996) - Scorpion/KL Release

11/24
The Lost Weekend - New 4K Master by KL

ianungstad

#2802 Post by ianungstad » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:21 pm

I could see Kino releasing The Magnificent Seven films.

kcota17

#2803 Post by kcota17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Sweet jesus I’m so excited for The Lost Weekend. I’ve been waiting an eternity for that one.

RSTooley

#2804 Post by RSTooley » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:01 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Platoon has an in-print steelbook release from Shout! Factory, which probably precludes Kino releasing it.
Agreed, however, the Shout! Factory steelbook releases of Platoon, Dances with Wolves, and Fargo (among others) were all limited editions to 10,000 copies. I'm not sure if that would allow a little bit of flexibility in licensing.

Am I crazy for thinking that Kino would actually pursue the out-of-print Twilight Time Woody Allen titles?

Ribs

#2805 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Yes, considering we know they’re only releasing 6 titles and three of them are ones KL has already released on DVD.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2806 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:11 pm

I don't think they'd avoid them due to Allen, but that they couldn't provide any new extras to add value and that there are movies starring Charles Bronson and other Old Bro target audience films in play they could grab instead, I wouldn't hold out hope

L.A.

#2807 Post by L.A. » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:37 am

captveg

#2808 Post by captveg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:38 pm

KL Insider has stated that 3 of these 6 titles that TT released on BD (and Kino already released on DVD) are getting BD releases from them due to the new MGM deal:

Lilies of the Field
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
From Noon Till Three
Remo Williams
Runaway Train
The Train

I'm not sure if TT having done two releases each for Alfredo Garcia and The Train makes them more or less likely for Kino to release them on BD again.

beamish14

#2809 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:56 pm

captveg wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:38 pm
KL Insider has stated that 3 of these 6 titles that TT released on BD (and Kino already released on DVD) are getting BD releases from them due to the new MGM deal:

Lilies of the Field
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
From Noon Till Three
Remo Williams
Runaway Train
The Train

I'm not sure if TT having done two releases each for Alfredo Garcia and The Train makes them more or less likely for Kino to release them on BD again.
It's just weird that they'll probably release Runaway Train for the upteenth time on Blu, but they say they have no interest in releasing
Konchalovsky's Shy People :cry:

Ribs

#2810 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:57 pm

I mean, one is a dumb action movie written by Kurosawa with Oscar-nominated performances, I don't think it's that weird that they know that another release would definitely sell better than that director's basically unknown quiet drama film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2811 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Runaway Train isn’t dumb in the slightest

beamish14

#2812 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 pm
Runaway Train isn’t dumb in the slightest
Make no mistake, I LOVE Runaway Train. It had a much-deserved revival at the Cannes Classic spotlight several years ago, and I
think the screenplay that Paul Zindel and Eddie Bunker fashioned out of Kurosawa's story is absolutely phenomenal. It's just a shame
about Shy People because it has a perfectly fine master that's aired on MGM HD.

nitin

#2813 Post by nitin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:59 am

I am tipping one of the UHDs to be Escape From New York since Shout are losing rights to that one, it's a big enough title for Kino to bank on and it would allow the 4k restoration to have a release on Region A blu at the same time.

captveg

#2814 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:44 pm

KL Insider yesterday:

"We're planning to do either add more titles to the Universal deal or do a new deal with them. We're also hoping to do another three or four deals."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2815 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:46 pm

Good to hear. Still lots of great Uni titles sitting in the vault, and KL has admirably gone after a lot of noirs and some studio films of conceivable interest to more than their Bro contingent

Ribs

#2816 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:50 pm

They’ve also indicated repeatedly they’ve been a bit disappointed with the sales of the star-focused sets, which is a shame because they’re terrific! (And if they write them off based on how Deanna Durbin sells before they get to, like, Cary Grant next month, they don’t have much business sense). Basically across the three sets I’ve watched through so far it’s been two hits and a miss per set but I really don’t see a way these extremely obscure generic studio star vehicles of the classic period will make it out without such wrappings. So would encourage people to pick them up the next time there’s a DD code or Target sale to make sure Kino keeps trying at ‘em.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2817 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:35 pm

The star boxes are priced way too high for cobbling together films without much selling power on their own. They need to include more movies or lower the MSRP

Ribs

#2818 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:58 pm

The price is that functionally its $25 on sale from any of the usual places that have regular sales - which seems pretty reasonable to me? It’s like $8 a film rather than the ~$12 a film that most Kinos will drop to.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2819 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 pm

Many if not most KL titles are in that range individually at some point in their sale life. For perspective, Universal released the three Grant films and two others in a DVD set for $26 MSRP. It also released a DVD set with 18 Cary Grant films, including the three upgraded, for the same $49.99 MSRP as KL’s. If they’re titles you want at that price, that’s awesome. I’m just saying if sales aren’t what they anticipated, maybe they should have looked at how Universal handled these titles prior

Calvin

#2820 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Any word on whether Fellini's Casanova uses the new restoration or will be the same as the Carlotta / Mr. Bongo releases?

Rupert Pupkin

#2821 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:01 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:06 pm
Kino announces so many titles I'm not sure if these have already been announced are not
Very Happy 90th Birthday to Screen Legend, Oscar-Winning Filmmaker and Composer Extraordinaire, Clint Eastwood!

Link for the Four KL Studio Classics Releases Starring Clint Eastwood:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view...clint-eastwood

Coming in 2020!
Seven More KLSC Special Editions Starring Clint Eastwood!
• Coogan’s Bluff (1968) – Directed by Don Siegel
• Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970) NEW 4K MASTER – Directed by Don Siegel
• The Beguiled (1971) NEW 2K MASTER – Directed by Don Siegel
• Play Misty for Me (1971) NEW 4K MASTER – Directed by Clint Eastwood
• Joe Kidd (1972) – Directed by John Sturges
• High Plains Drifter (1973) – Directed by Clint Eastwood
• The Eiger Sanction (1975) NEW 2K MASTER – Directed by Clint Eastwood

Coming August 25th!
• Breezy (1973) Directed by Clint Eastwood – Starring William Holden

they don't say "new 2K master" for BREEZY Kino US.
I have already bought when it came out the European Clint Eastwood box set which has "Breezy". (a German box set, but it has English and French subtitles). This was released by Universal.
DVDbeaver has just posted a test for BREEZY Kino but they don't give a clue wether it is a new transfer/restoration in comparison to the Warner BR. By the way, I thought that Breezy was released in the US via Universal.
so, new restoration ?
or same master (the Universal one is not a fresh one but okay to me - no abrasive DNR; it has a film-look) and better bitrate ?
and there is no "real-size" capture; you have to register to the "premium" account.

nothing so far at :
https://caps-a-holic.com/index.php?s=breezy

any comment about this Blu-Ray Kino release ? better or not than the European one ?
thanks in advance for your help.

PfR73

#2822 Post by PfR73 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:20 am

I'm posting this here because I have been completely unable to figure out how to create a new Topic in the Films section.

Heart of Midnight (Matthew Chapman, 1988)

I blind-bought this after watching the trailer that was included on a different KL disc as I found the visual aesthetic very intriguing. I watched the film tonight and was pretty knocked out for the first hour, but during the last half-hour I felt the storytelling really started to stumble: characters seemed to just disappear, I couldn't understand how certain scenes moved from point A to point B, etc. Also, it was confusing because scenes that were in the trailer I had watched were missing (I kept waiting for Steve Buscemi's character to reappear to deliver a certain line), but sure enough, those scenes never appeared in the film. Although there were many things I liked about it's production design & cinematography, the performances, and the mood, I was also disappointed in the end, with the feeling of "wait...that's it?"

After watching the film I was reading through its IMDb page, and in the "alternate versions" section, it states "The Italian and German VHS and TV editions run 1:29:01 at PAL speed; the UK DVD edition runs 1:46:25 at PAL speed, so it's 17 minutes longer." The Blu-ray is only 93 minutes (which basically matches the shorter PAL runtime listed). Even without converting PAL, that UK DVD is longer than the US Blu-ray. I looked it up and several different sources seem to state the DVD runs 106 minutes.

Has anyone seen this longer version? What is in the additional 17-18 minutes? Do they improve the film?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2823 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:37 am

Users don't have permissions to create new threads. This is a perfectly fine place to discuss the film or any film released by KL. I also discussed it somewhere in the horror list, so discussion there would have been okay as well. There's definitely a longer version circulating, but like Siskel said when the projector at his screening of Un indien dans la ville broke down, "It doesn't matter. The last reel could have been the missing footage of the Magnificent Ambersons and it still wouldn't have saved the film."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2824 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:06 am

These films have been added to KL's While Supplies Last sale (ie they're now OOP):

CONCRETE JUNGLE
D.O.A.
FLESH & BLOOD
GONE FISHIN'
MADHOUSE
MAFIA
MARTY
ONION FIELD, THE
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES
PURPLE PLAIN, THE
ROLLING VENGEANCE
RUBY GENTRY
SISTERHOOD
STILL OF THE NIGHT
VIVA MARIA
WOMAN OF STRAW
ZONE TROOPERS

They've also lowered the prices on all of the OOP titles, so some might start selling out soon

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2825 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 am

For what it's worth, their Marty is uncut, and there's no guarantee future releases will be (Eureka's isn't, for instance)