Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
whaleallright

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2826 Post by whaleallright » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:14 am

It's also in the wrong aspect ratio, though :sigh:

KJones77

#2827 Post by KJones77 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 am
For what it's worth, their Marty is uncut, and there's no guarantee future releases will be (Eureka's isn't, for instance)
Marty's a blind spot for me but do you mind saying what exactly was cut? The BBFC site didn't specify like it usually does.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2828 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:14 pm

There’s an additional scene present in Kino’s version. I don’t believe it’s a censorship cut. And gimme a breaksville on aspect ratio kvetching

Feego

#2829 Post by Feego » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:09 pm

I presume this is the scene in question, per the Alternate Versions section on IMDb (I don't think this can be considered a spoiler, but just in case):
SpoilerShow
When Marty drops off Clara at her home after their evening out, there is an additional 5-minute sequence where she visits her parents in their bedroom and discusses her date with Marty (included in the CBS FOX VHS and the 2014 Kino Lorber releases, but deleted from the MGM Vintage Classics VHS and DVD).

willoneill

#2830 Post by willoneill » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Does anyone know when/why the release date of Old Boyfriends got delayed? I just noticed that all of the retailers and Kino's own website list the release date at August 18th? I only ask because I had pre-ordered it and it was delivered two months ago; I don't want to find out that Kino delayed it at the last minute due to a technical issue and I received a bad copy that slipped out by accident.

Ribs

#2831 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:01 am

Their second UHD title will be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Releasing next year. Slightly more appealing than Hannibal!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2832 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Wow, they actually picked a title people would want!

captveg

#2833 Post by captveg » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:44 pm

willoneill wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:57 pm
Does anyone know when/why the release date of Old Boyfriends got delayed? I just noticed that all of the retailers and Kino's own website list the release date at August 18th? I only ask because I had pre-ordered it and it was delivered two months ago; I don't want to find out that Kino delayed it at the last minute due to a technical issue and I received a bad copy that slipped out by accident.
It was always 8/18, to my recollection. Sounds like they just sent it to you early by mistake.

L.A.

#2834 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:03 pm

L.A. wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:08 am
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray August 25th from Kino Classics!

Reginald Denny Collection (two-disc set)

The Reckless Age (1924)
Directed by Harry Pollard
Starring Reginald Denny

Skinner's Dress Suit (1926)
Directed by William A. Seiter
Starring Reginald Denny and Laura La Plante

What Happened to Jones?(1926)
Directed by William A. Seiter
Starring Reginald Denny and Marian Nixon

NEW 4K RESTORATIONS FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES!

The Reginald Denny Collection gathers three silent features from the career of the debonair British star: The Reckless Age, Skinner’s Dress Suit, and What Happened to Jones? The former amateur boxing champion made his name in a series of two-reelers about the fighting life, The Leather Pushers (1922), but soon made his way up to leading man. In the romantic comedy The Reckless Age Denny plays an insurance agent who insinuates himself into the case of a wealthy heiress. In Skinner’s Dress Suit, directed by comedy ace William A. Seiter (Sons of the Desert), he is a shy clerk who asks his boss for a raise at the urging of his wife. His request is rejected, but he lies to his wife, who immediately goes out and buys an expensive suit, an act that upends his once-ordered life. And in What Happened to Jones?, also directed by Seiter, Denny plays a wealthy young bachelor on the night before his wedding. He is convinced to attend a poker party which is promptly raided, sending him on the run in a series of increasingly hilarious disguises.

Special features:
*Audio commentary for The Reckless Age, What Happened to Jones?, and Skinner's Dress Suit by film historian Anthony Slide
*The Reckless Age music by Jake Monaco
*What Happened to Jones? music by Anthony Willis
*Skinner's Dress Suit music by Leo Birenberg
*O-Card slipcase (Blu-ray only)
Beaver. Now this is definitely a must-have.

dwk

#2835 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:50 pm

Mad Max UHD coming on November 24th.

Rupert Pupkin

#2836 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:54 pm

Ribs wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:01 am
Their second UHD title will be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Releasing next year. Slightly more appealing than Hannibal!
wow! I love Julianne Moore in Hannibal and I thought that the photography deserved a new x4 transfer (although there are some (minor) flaws) this is a huge upgrade in comparison to the previous blu-ray.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is one of my favorite movie...and Kate Winslet :oops: I even make a fake cover for an imaginary Criterion (I would have loved to have it included in the Criterion catalogue).
I hope that they will do something great.

Did you see an ad at Kino web site or something like this ? There is nothing, even in the news of blu-ray.com

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2837 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:04 am

They announced it on their Facebook page

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2838 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:09 pm

The Universal 70s TV show KL is releasing on Blu is not Night Gallery or Kolchak but... Buck Rogers?? Oh-kay...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#2839 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Buck Rogers isn't much of a lift, it's already been released on Blu in the UK and Australia. Night Gallery and Kolchak don't have foreign Blu releases or HD versions available on digital storefronts, so they probably haven't been remastered. (They're both streaming in 1080p on the NBC website, but they look like upscales.)

Ribs

#2840 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:14 am

Coming soon: two by Marty Feldman, The Last Remake of Beau Geste and In God We Trust. Truly things I never, ever would have thought would come on Blu-ray, I’ve been meaning to make a point of seeing them for some time and am thrilled KL will provide an opportunity.

captveg

#2841 Post by captveg » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:22 pm

More OOP:

Man of the West (1958) (DVD still available)
Planet of the Vampires (1965) (DVD still available)

L.A.

#2842 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:41 am

Coming November 10th!

Play Misty for Me (1971)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• NEW Interview with Co-Star Donna Mills
• NEW Video Essay by Film Historian Howard S. Berger
• Play It Again... A Look Back at "Play Misty For Me" – Documentary
• The Beguiled, Misty, Don and Clint – Featurette
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Adam Rifkin
• Theatrical Teaser in HD
• Theatrical Trailer in HD
• Two TV Spots in HD
• Stills Montage
• Clint Eastwood Directs and Acts: Photo Montage
• The Evolution of a Poster
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition Slipcase
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 102 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
From Clint Eastwood, the legendary director of The Outlaw Josey Wales, Bird, Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby and American Sniper, comes this terrifying thriller about psychotic obsession. Eastwood (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) stars as Dave Garver, a popular radio disc jockey who repeatedly receives on-air phone requests from a sexy female fan to “play Misty for me.” When the woman, Evelyn Draper (Jessica Walter, The Group), orchestrates a rendezvous with Dave at his favorite nightspot, the two begin a torrid affair. But when Dave decides to end the relationship, Evelyn’s obsession turns to violence. Soon everything and everyone in Dave’s life becomes a target for Evelyn’s increasingly deadly campaign of terror. Beautifully photographed by Bruce Surtees (Night Moves) on location in Eastwood’s hometown of Carmel, California, Play Misty for Me continues to be considered one of the great modern-day thrillers. Play Misty for Me was Eastwood’s directorial debut, co-written by Jo Heims (Breezy) and Dean Riesner (Charley Varrick) with a strong supporting cast that includes Donna Mills (Superdome), John Larch (Dirty Harry), Jack Ging (High Plains Drifter) and Eastwood’s mentor, filmmaker Don Siegel.

captveg

#2843 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:26 pm

More OOP:

Cast a Giant Shadow (1966) (DVD still available)
True Confessions (1981) (DVD still available)
Last edited by captveg on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dwk

#2844 Post by dwk » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:03 pm

This weekend's KLSC announcements:
Jetsons: The Movie (1990)
Beach Red (1967)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2845 Post by cdnchris » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Thats a coincidence. I was just telling my kids how godawful the Jetson's Movie was. Now I can show them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2846 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:36 pm

And Tiffany completists everywhere rejoice

dustybooks

#2847 Post by dustybooks » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:25 pm

The completely random (animated) Tiffany video that's slapped right in the middle of that film is one of the most unmitigated moments of pure 1980s kitsch I've ever seen. I saw the film theatrically as a kid and remember nothing else about it at this point, but I have to say that as someone who isn't particularly nostalgic for my childhood, that clip gets me for some strange reason.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2848 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:31 am

That really is peak 80s aesthetic, isn’t it? There is only one pop hit I want from the Jetsons though and it’s this 🤚🏻

dustybooks

#2849 Post by dustybooks » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 am

Wow, I don’t remember that. That’s nearly as catchy as the Groovy Guru’s “Kill Kill Kill.” I’m unnerved by the stillness of George’s legs during that drum solo...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2850 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 am

For some reason that episode is literally the only one I even remember. Kid me could quote you chapter and verse from the Flintstones Meet the Jetsons though! Where’s that Blu-Ray?