Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1476 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:52 pm

They’re all MGM

dwk

#1477 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:52 pm

All Shout has said is that their license for those titles expire next month. Since they didn't list them earlier, like they did with most of the other MGM titles that are going OOP, and the fact that they are re-releasing a couple other MGM titles that they have had under license for just as long, if not longer, makes me wonder if they were trying to re-up but were out bid.

Of course it is just as likely that they feel that they've sold what they can and are focusing their budget on licensing Paramount, WB and StudioCanal titles.

dustybooks

#1478 Post by dustybooks » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 pm

I never got the Pink Panther set because I only really care about the first two films. (The others have their scattered moments but I have them on DVD if I ever get some compulsion to revisit.) I wish someone would put those out individually, but I’m now slightly tempted by the box since it’s going away...

Ribs

#1479 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:46 pm

They definitely seem like titles I can imagine Arrow being interested in porting their UK releases over for (of which most of them have equivalents). I can’t really imagine someone else putting out another Pink Panther Peter Sellers set, though I’ve been curious if a release from Arrow or Eureka Classics could happen.

dwk

#1480 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Target leaked the following Scream and Shout Select titles:
The Brides of Dracula
Let's Scare Julie
The Relic
Twins

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1481 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:35 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 pm
Let's Scare Julie
Never heard of this and Googling it makes it look like a Disney sitcom, but apparently it was filmed in one continuous take

Big Ben

#1482 Post by Big Ben » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:37 pm

The Relic is an interesting curio if you like dark movies. And by dark I mean the film is literally so dark it's hard to see anything.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1483 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Who was the genius who set a horror film in Chicago’s Natural History museum and then spent most of the movie in the sewers beneath it

dwk

#1484 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:31 pm

Someone at the Blu-ray.com forum pointed out that that is likely a 2020 IFC Midnight title called Relic not the 90s The Relic.

colinr0380

#1485 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:26 am

dwk wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:31 pm
Someone at the Blu-ray.com forum pointed out that that is likely a 2020 IFC Midnight title called Relic not the 90s The Relic.
If its this one it is supposed to be quite good (and has Emily Mortimer in it!), though it looks like another in the current trend of 'creepy elderly relative deteriorating and taking everyone down with them' horror films. I'm already having enough trouble with that in my actual life, thank you very much!

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Shout! Factory

#1486 Post by ando » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:18 pm

oldsheperd wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:44 pm
Ernie Kovacs is finally getting the appreciation he deserves from Shout! Factory. They're releasing a box set with 13 of Kovacs programming. Comes out 4/19
Was hoping for a review of this one somewhere. My fellow Trentonian is an acquired taste but the set looks like a must buy for fans of early (live) tv comedy.

whaleallright

#1487 Post by whaleallright » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:59 pm

FWIW, that's a repackaging of two separate Kovacs DVD sets (without the bonus discs) that had been released earlier. It is indeed essential, though it's almost too much to take in!

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#1488 Post by ando » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks. The Take A Good Look box set is tempting but 9 episodes of the first season, currently streaming on APrime, is enough of that show.

dwk

#1489 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Some more soon to be OOP titles have been added to Shout's, uh, going OOP list:
Cohen & Tate
Heavy Traffic
The Hot Spot/Killing Me Softly Double feature
To Live and Die in L.A.
The Dungeon Master/The Eliminators Double Feature

beamish14

#1490 Post by beamish14 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:29 pm

What is going on with these Ralph Bakshi titles? Kino says that Fritz the Cat isn't headed to them, and I don't think
Heavy Traffic is, either. They're both MGM still, AFAIK.

Also, that 4-pack with Tough Guys Don't Dance/The Visitors/Exposed, and The Hot Spot
is a hell of a steal, and they all look presentable.

Adam X

#1491 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:48 pm

I was going to get The Hot Spot a while back, but then got put off it after hearing an interview with the DP, who was fairly critical of the colour timing (it's mean to look hot, not naturalistic). I guess I've been hoping someone would pay it a little more attention.

re: Ralph Bakshi titles
If they're still with MGM, Vinegar Syndrome has a new deal with them, so it's possible they could've landed there. Time will tell.

dwk

#1492 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:20 pm

I wish I'd heard that about The Hot Spot before I ordered the disc yesterday. On the other hand, I'm not sure anyone is going to take another crack at it.

Adam X

#1493 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:26 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Also, a whole heaping of more titles going out-of-print. What are you thinking?! If they released something you're interested in more than a couple of years ago, you should buy it up quick before it joins the list...
***OUT-OF-PRINT SOON ALERT***
Please note that the following Scream Factory Blu-ray & DVD releases will be going out of print this year as our rights are expiring on them. If you haven’t picked them up already, now’s your last chance!
• All Night Horror Marathon: Vol. 1 [4 Films]
• All Night Horror Marathon: Vol. 2 [4 Films]
• Angry Red Planet, The
• Bat People, The
• Beast of Hollow Mountain, The / The Neanderthal Man [Double Feature]
• Beast Within, The
• Brain That Wouldn't Die, The
• Cellar Dweller / Catacombs [Double Feature]
• Contamination .7
• Crawlspace
• Die, Monster, Die!
• Eve of Destruction
• Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, The
• Horror Show, The
• House That Screamed, The
• I Bury the Living
• Invasion of The Bee Girls
• Man From Planet X, The
• Naked Cage, The
• Outing / The Godsend [Double Feature]
• Return of Count Yorga, The
• Scream Factory Presents: TV Terrors [Double Feature]
• Screaming Skull, The
• Vagrant, The
• Vampire. The
• Vicious Lips
• What's the Matter with Helen?
• X-Ray / Schizoid [Double Feature]

solaris72

#1494 Post by solaris72 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:01 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:48 pm
re: Ralph Bakshi titles
If they're still with MGM, Vinegar Syndrome has a new deal with them, so it's possible they could've landed there. Time will tell.
VS said ages ago that they'd release Coonskin...perhaps they'll do a boxed set? All three films are 70s New York, which is relevant to their new "Fun City" label.

ianungstad

#1495 Post by ianungstad » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Kino said that Fritz the Cat was with another label. I suspect it's probably Arrow. They issued Fritz the Cat on dvd and it seems like something they would want to reissue under the video brand.

Kino also said MGM licensed out the original Addams Family television series to another label a few years ago. I'd like to know which label is handling that. I would have said Shout! but with all this MGM stuff going out of print...

Florinaldo

#1496 Post by Florinaldo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:43 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:23 pm
dwk wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm
Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 (drops the intros from the initial release)
According to their fb page this will have some new extras.
Comparing the listing on their Web site to my copy of the first edition, they have added new commentaries on four of the titles (the previous ones remain): Pit, Phibes and Usher get new ones by the frequent Haberman-Nasr duo, while Masque gets one with Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw on the extended cut (another new feature). Newman also provides an introduction to The Haunted Palace which is probably the one found on the UK Arrow. None of the new commentaries are duplicated from the Arrow editions, unless that editor has one in the wings for Masque (Anyone knows?).

As previously mentioned, all of the introductions by VP himself have been dropped, a question of expired license I would think; they were mostly anecdotal in content, but he was his usual charming self so dedicated fans will be disappointed if they missed out on the first edition.

Now, is that new content enough for double dipping? Or is the separate new edition of Masque the real prize? Still a month to decide I suppose.

Are they planning to do the same with the other two volumes in the series or was this update just done as a side benefit to the new edition of Masque. As usual it may depend on sales, to assess whether there is still sufficient demand for these titles.

dwk

#1497 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:08 pm

From Beyond is going OOP.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1498 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:51 pm

Shout/Scream announced the final specs for their Friday the 13th set. I'm not all that familiar with the series so not sure how big a deal it is but a number of people online are making a big deal out of the fact that the set will include deleted footage from the second film, which was apparently thought to be lost (all sourced from VHS and without sound, though).

Big Ben

#1499 Post by Big Ben » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Given the immense scrutiny the films received at the time (Shoutout to Siskel and Ebert) several of the later films were edited significantly due to backlash. The most infamous case is probably the Seventh film in the franchise which had almost all of it's gore cut out leading a weirdly tame movie. I am under the impression that the footage in question only exists in workprint form so I imagine Scream Factory won't be doing much with the film.

The films in my opinion are most certainly not high art but they're a fascinating glimpse into the zeitgeist of the time when it came to what ratings boards were willing to tolerate. I imagine longtime fans will relish the inclusion of the footage.

L.A.

#1500 Post by L.A. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Here is what Samuelson Studios (producer of the extras) recounted in a Facebook post regarding the deleted footage for Friday the 13th Part 2:
The upcoming FRIDAY THE 13 boxed set from Scream Factory will include the uncut footage from Part 2. How it was found after being lost for almost 40 years is a great story! As many fans of the series know, several minutes were trimmed because of a crackdown by the MPAA on slasher movies. A few stills have surfaced over the years that gave a hint to what was missing, but despite many efforts over the years to find the footage, it was believed to have been lost or destroyed.

While prepping to shoot an interview with Bill Randolph for Part 2, I decided to re-watch the CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES documentary in order to avoid repeating stories that have already been discussed in depth for years. As expected, there was talk about the footage that was shot, but not included in the final cut due to ratings board. Greg Nicotero mentions that FX artist Carl Fullerton showed him the footage in question. I wondered if anyone had reached out to Fullerton to see if he may still have the scenes that the fans have been dying to see for years. Bill Randolph (who wanted to see his scene as much as anyone else did) and I reached out to Fullerton to see if he still had it. We left a few voicemails and hoped for the best. With less than two weeks before our deadline, I received a call from Carl saying he had a VHS tape with all the material that was trimmed. However, he couldn’t remember exactly what was on it, but was kind enough to loan it to us for inclusion on the set.

Because I was terrified that if it was shipped via postal mail, it might get lost in transit, so I made arrangements to get the tape in person through my co-producer and pal, Peter Bracke. I joked with Peter that I should have gotten him a suitcase with handcuffs and a bodyguard as this most likely was the only copy in existence. Peter met up with Carl, who handed him the old cassette with a typewritten date of April 24, 1981 -- about a month before the film opened in theaters! What could be on the tape?

Now came the fun part, seeing if the tape was still viewable after all of these years. It's possible because of its age, it could have been blank or no longer viewable. We wouldn’t ’t know until we got it transferred. Shout Factory's Cliff MacMillan made arrangements to get it transferred at a top-notch facility. However, there was an issue: the lab indicated that the tape was stuck together. If pulled apart, the magnetic information could be stripped, which would mean that we would lose everything. The only solution: baking the tape in an oven overnight to separate the reels. The VHS would have to be taken apart, the reels would have placed into an oven and baked overnight to in order to make it playable. After waiting almost 40 years for this footage, we would have to wait another couple of days to see if “Operation: Baking With Jason “ was successful. So after the careful dismantling and baking operation, the tape was then put back into the cartridge so it could be transferred to a digital format.

Now for the moment of truth -- what’s on the tape and is it watchable? Eureka! “It’s alive!” After hearing so much about this footage over the years, I was astonished when viewing the contents for the first time. It appears that Fullerton knew the film was going to be trimmed, so he asked the editor to assemble the trims, and make a copy so he would have a them for his portfolio. The first thing you notice is that nearly every death is considerably longer! There are also few scenes that I didn’t even realize that were that trimmed, ie, Adrienne King’s death.

Even more surprising was the quality. At nearly four decades old, the tape gave me cause to worry, but what I discovered was that the older vintage of the tape actually worked in everyone’s favor. The VHS cassettes used back in the day were of a much higher quality than the ones used a few years later. In fact, I was surprised at how good the image quality was, especially considering the source.

I must have watched the footage found ten times, as I was in utter disbelief that I was finally seeing this material that was considered forever lost. Viewing it confirmed that it was no longer lost, but found. I want to thank Carl Fullerton for going the extra mile to get us the tape; Bill Randolph for reaching out to Carl; my co-producer, Peter Bracke for transporting the holy grail; and to Shout Factory's Cliff MacMillan and Jeff Nelson for keeping the faith. Every Friday the 13th fan owes them a big round of applause and their eternal gratitude.

Edwin Samuelson
Director/Producer
Samuelson Studios