Crash

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Adam X

Re: Crash

#126 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Based on other label's recent experiences with licensing from Criterion, I'd guess the only way a US release will include that commentary is if Criterion themselves release it. So fingers crossed.

flyonthewall2983

#127 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:00 pm

All due respect to him, I'd rather have 4K than Cronenberg mumbling.

kekid

#128 Post by kekid » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Arrow's 4K UHD version does not include the Blu Ray, and is Region Free.
Their Limited edition is Blu Ray only, and is Region B locked.
So if we want both 4K UHD and Blu Ray, we have to buy two separate items?
The German edition is completely English-friendly, and has both versions.

black&huge

#129 Post by black&huge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:22 pm

confused by this were you referring to both the blu and 4k arrow releases? both sets are exactly the same content wise: on disc, packaging and ephemera

kekid

#130 Post by kekid » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Both sets have the same extras, but one has only 4K UHD version and the other only Blu Ray version. So all interested buyers who do not currently have 4K UHD players will have to buy the Blu Ray version. If and when they do get the 4K UHD player they will have to buy the other version. The German set, by including both versions, makes the equipment upgrade in future a non-issue. Also, the fact that the Blu Ray version is B-locked and the 4K UHD is Region-Free might suggest that whoever is planning to release this in USA does not intend to issue the 4K UHD version.

kuzine

#131 Post by kuzine » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 pm

kekid wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm
Also, the fact that the Blu Ray version is B-locked and the 4K UHD is Region-Free might suggest that whoever is planning to release this in USA does not intend to issue the 4K UHD version.
UHD doesn't have region locking, so any release would be region free.

bluesforyou

Re: Crash (1996)

#132 Post by bluesforyou » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:10 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:24 pm
The use of it on that cover is probably going to be the only situation where the terrible road sign-looking new BBFC logo will look perfectly appropriate!
Why the nostalgia for the old ratings logos? They looked worse and it's not that much of a difference either way.

therewillbeblus

#133 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm

I’d def rather have the new Adrian Martin commentary, really curious to what he has to say about this one. Hopefully this doesn’t sell out immediately a la The Thing

black&huge

#134 Post by black&huge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:22 pm

kekid wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm
Both sets have the same extras, but one has only 4K UHD version and the other only Blu Ray version. So all interested buyers who do not currently have 4K UHD players will have to buy the Blu Ray version. If and when they do get the 4K UHD player they will have to buy the other version. The German set, by including both versions, makes the equipment upgrade in future a non-issue. Also, the fact that the Blu Ray version is B-locked and the 4K UHD is Region-Free might suggest that whoever is planning to release this in USA does not intend to issue the 4K UHD version.
I understand. I was only thinking from my own viewpoint since I am UHD compatible. I do like the uhd/blu combos since they're basically the standard in most cases and that dual format makes a lot more sense than blu and dvd but if it's uhd only it doesn't hinder anything for me. Now the worst is the upcoming second run Dawn of the Dead box. I will end up passing entirely because the bulk of bonus features are on blu-rays in the UHD set and locked so I kinda relate to where you're coming from on this.

kekid

#135 Post by kekid » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:17 pm

This is the case with the German edition of Crash as well. All the bonus features are on the Blu Ray disc. However, this is not a problem since both are sold together.

Orlac

Re: Crash (1996)

#136 Post by Orlac » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:24 pm
The use of it on that cover is probably going to be the only situation where the terrible road sign-looking new BBFC logo will look perfectly appropriate!

Glad to see it it going to be on UHD, although I am still going to cherish my big box ex-VHS rental copy of Crash, mostly because I have fond memories of being too shy and cautious to go into a shop and buy it underage (I was 17 and a half so felt as if I was breaking the law to do so!), when the friend I was with said that she would buy it for me, took my money, marched into the shop and got it apparently no questions asked whilst I stood outside blushing and wringing my hands nervously!

(Of course less than six months later I was buying Boogie Nights and Funny Games from the HMV in Meadowhall in Sheffield, feeling all self righteous after turning 18! But even before that time I was already aware about mail order and the deluge of 18 rated material being delivered to the door had pretty much begun in earnest anyway! But after all the overblown fuss made about it by the tabloids I was really worried that having a copy of Crash in my possession would result in police action!)
My first underage buy was the VHS of FIST OF FURY II - and it turned out the sneaky distributor had not bothered to remove the BBFC mandated cuts!

Calvin

#137 Post by Calvin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 am

The UHD is already showing up as Out of Stock on Arrow's site and unavailable at Amazon (having climbed to #3 on the bestsellers list) so goodness knows what it's limited to. 1000?

Glowingwabbit

#138 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:53 am

Both this and King of New York have shown up for preorder at Diabolikdvd.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product-category/preorders/

bluesforyou

#139 Post by bluesforyou » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo

#140 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:27 pm

How is the limited edition blu also out of stock already? Will they bump up the print run?

therewillbeblus

#141 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:42 pm

I don’t think they have before? I expect a standard edition to come out soon like The Thing, which’ll essentially be the same.

I just placed an order through diabolikdvd but it’s on backorder. I’m not very experienced working with them- but since there are only a limited amount of copies, is there a chance they’ll just ship me whatever standard re-release vs the LE I paid for? I don’t really see how an item like this can be on “back order” unless that simply means it’s a preorder

Glowingwabbit

#142 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:54 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:42 pm
I don’t think they have before? I expect a standard edition to come out soon like The Thing, which’ll essentially be the same.

I just placed an order through diabolikdvd but it’s on backorder. I’m not very experienced working with them- but since there are only a limited amount of copies, is there a chance they’ll just ship me whatever standard re-release vs the LE I paid for? I don’t really see how an item like this can be on “back order” unless that simply means it’s a preorder
It's always shown up as backordered for me when I've preordered stuff from them in the past. You're fine.

therewillbeblus

#143 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Good to know, thanks

Adam X

#144 Post by Adam X » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:29 pm

If it's a pre-order it should generally say "coming soon", but sometimes not - I guess maybe it's due to something being entered incorrectly on the backend? Anyway,
Just a quick note that BACKORDER on our site only means that it isn't in stock at the time of your order. It has no other connotation so you can just take it at face value - OUT OF STOCK. Thanks.
Diabolik are in the habit of only listing limited items until they've sold their allocation, so if you're able to pre-order something you'll get what you ordered (unless it's due to something out of their control, of course).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#146 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Hmmm, 4K or Blu? Good cover or bad cover? Criterion giving us a lot of very difficult decisions lately as other boutique labels start eating their lunch

bluesforyou

#147 Post by bluesforyou » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 pm

What makes it even more ridiculous is that Crash already has not one but two UHDs.

flyonthewall2983

#148 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm interested in the new 5.1 mix, and how immersive the sound will be on a decent system. Between Howard Shore's music and so much of the sound that happened just in a stereo mix, I always thought this would be a perfect candidate for such an upgrade.

therewillbeblus

#149 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Both the Arrow and Criterion have that mix though, right? I already pre-ordered the Arrow, though I'm curious enough about Cronenberg's laserdisc commentary to at least rent the Criterion, otherwise I think it's pretty clear which label wins and I'm not even upgrading to UHD. Also wondering if Arrow's "archival interviews" will reveal themselves to be the ones more specified on the Criterion extras

dwk

#150 Post by dwk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 pm

I assume the archival interviews on Arrow's release will likely be these from the German release:
- David Cronenberg (6:20)
- J.G. Ballard (2:44)
- James Spader (4:36)
- Holly Hunter (3:26)
- Deborah Kara Unger (5:05)
- Elias Koteas (2:33)

and they are likely the "Behind-the-scenes footage and press interviews from 1996" that are mentioned in Criterion's extras.