Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1526 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 am

Crash is now up on Amazon in UHD, so here you go.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1527 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Okay, but for real, Arrow needs an intervention

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1528 Post by Drucker » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Not sure if it had been confirmed here yet, but Silent Running is a new 2k restoration.

black&huge

#1530 Post by black&huge » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:54 am

so if Arrow is granted the rights for the UHD of a no brainer big seller by Paramount I think the chances Universal letting them have the UHD rights to Basterds is more believable than ever. I'm glad Arrow is making up for their lackluster 2020 blu slate with their UHD's at least. Crash and King of New York are a great start.

Calvin

#1531 Post by Calvin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:48 am

Wolf of Wall Street isalso with Universal in the UK, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a UK exclusive. I'm surprised that Universal would release Spartacus and a Hitchcock 4K collection themselves but license out two of their biggest films of the past decade. I thought that Universal would be happy to licence out Blu-Ray rights now, safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't cannibalise sales of their cheap original release and they could release a UHD of their own.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1532 Post by tenia » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:10 am

Spartacus and the Hitchcocks are cash cows for Universal but they also own worldwide rights, while they only have the rights for the Scorsese in some territories (UK, Germany, Spain, Scandinavian countries, South Africa). A UHD for Spartacus thus makes sense because Universal will be able to recoup the structural costs in a worldwide manner, while they won't be able to on Wolf of Wall Street.

I'm more surprised about Basterds, since in this case, they do own the worldwide rights. But it is yet to be confirmed (IIRC) Arrow will be doing a UHD release of it, and that it won't be a Waterworld situation in which Arrow can only do a BD re-release while Universal keeps the exclusivity for the UHD.

yoloswegmaster

#1533 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Callum Waddell revealed on the bluray forum that Arrow is going to be releasing "one of the biggest slasher films of the 1980s". Any guesses on what it could be?

Boosmahn

#1534 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Sleepaway Camp?

Mr Sloane

#1535 Post by Mr Sloane » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:20 am

Makes sense for a UK release seeing as 88 Films only released the sequels here.

Berzeli

#1536 Post by Berzeli » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Twitter teaser for Academy announcement on Friday.

Most popular speculation seem to be Imamura's Black Rain.

Pavel

#1537 Post by Pavel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 pm

Oh, that makes sense. I was wondering why everybody thought this somehow related to the Ridley Scott film, and why the hell Arrow would release it under Academy.

Calvin

#1538 Post by Calvin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 am

Berzeli wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:15 pm
Twitter teaser for Academy announcement on Friday.

Most popular speculation seem to be Imamura's Black Rain.
This was indeed for Black Rain and a little more:

Throughout the 1980s, Shohei Imamura (The P*rnographers, Profound Desires of the Gods), a leading figure of the Japanese New Wave era of the 1960s, cemented his international reputation as one of the most important directors of his generation with a series of films that all competed at Cannes to great critical acclaim. This exclusive box set from Arrow Academy presents restored versions of three late career classics from the legendary filmmaker.

Based on an ancient folktale, The Ballad of Narayama (1983) was the first of two works from the director to win the prestigious Cannes Palme d Or. Imamura s magnum opus depicts the members of an extended farming family eking out their existence in the mountainous north of Japan against the backdrop of the changing seasons before village lore decrees they make the sacrifice of abandoning their aged mother on the top of a nearby mountain when she reaches her seventieth year. Making its HD debut, Zegen (1987) takes a satirical look at Japan s prewar colonial expansion through the unscrupulous eyes of its flesh-peddler antihero as he establishes a prostitution enterprise across Southeast Asia. Finally, the harrowing Black Rain (1989) details the precarious existence of a household of atomic bomb survivors as, five years after being caught in the blast of Hiroshima, they struggle to find a husband for their 25-year-old niece.

These three works epitomise the director s almost documentary style of filmmaking, exposing the vulgar yet vibrant and instinctive underbelly of Japanese society through a sympathetic focus on peasants, prostitutes, criminal lowlife and other marginalised figures to explore the schism between the country s timeless premodern traditions and the modern face it projects to the world.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Restored High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all three films
Original lossless Japanese PCM 1.0 mono soundtracks
Optional English subtitles
Brand new audio commentaries on all three films by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp
Brand new, in-depth appreciations of all three films by Japanese cinema expert Tony Rayns
Alternate colour ending to Black Rain, shot by Imamura but removed from the film shortly before its release
Archival interviews on Black Rain with actress Yoshiko Tanaka and assistant director Takashi Miike
Multiple trailers and image galleries
Original Japanese press kits for The Ballad of Narayama and Black Rain (BD-ROM content)
Limited edition 60-page booklet containing new writing by Tom Mes
Limited edition packaging featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
It doesn't sound like The Ballad of Narayama will be a newer restoration than the old MoC disc, so I would have rather Arrow rescued The Eel or his 70s documentaries, but this is great news nevertheless.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1539 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:46 am

I don't think Zegen has ever before been available in subbed form. Sounds like a must-buy set.

Do they say when this due to be released?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1540 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:54 am

It was on Amazon UK at one point (not seeing it now) but I believe it said Dec 7

How rude!

#1541 Post by How rude! » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:36 am

Jesus, I hope this sells well. I would love to see a follow-up boxset of The Eel, Dr Akagi, and Warm Water Under a Red Bridge. You would think this has to be a possibility. The Eel and Warm Water are just wonderful, wonderful films from one of the very great filmmakers, of any period.

Arrow are clearly THE distributor for Japanese cinema, and they should be congratulated for this, and all previous Japanese film releases.

Ovader

#1542 Post by Ovader » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:50 pm

Calvin wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:27 am
It looks like Arrow will be releasing Shane Carruth's Primer for its 15th anniversary, with a theatrical release in November.
I received a PRIMER postcard in my Black Test Car blu-ray today if that wasn't mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

willoneill

#1544 Post by willoneill » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Am I crazy, or is the "look and feel" identical to that of the Criterion Channel?

skilar

#1545 Post by skilar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 pm

The backend for both is handled by Vimeo OTT. I imagine the Arrow app (I presume they'll have one) will be very similar, as well.

fdm

#1546 Post by fdm » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:39 pm

I wonder if they will be limited to Dolby Surround.

yoloswegmaster

#1547 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:16 am

2 titles have leaked:

MichaelB

#1548 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:35 am

Ironically, Tremors originally opened in the UK in the same week as Black Rain. The Imamura was greeted respectfully but not especially enthusiastically, the other films that week (the remake of Lord of the Flies, something long forgotten called Fresh Horses) were generally dismissed, but the critics regarded Tremors as manna from heaven and gave it rave reviews. Which just goes to show how - sadly - the week that a film opens can make a disproportionate amount of difference to its fortunes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1549 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:49 am

Sadly? Tremors continues to maintain cultural relevancy, it seems like if anything it’s critical and commercial success are evidence that sometimes everyone gets it right at the outset

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1550 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:12 am

I think he was saying sadly about Black Rain