Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
L.A.

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2851 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Coming November 10th!

THE EIGER SANCTION (1975)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• NEW Interview with Actor Reiner Schöne
• Archival Interview with Actress Heidi Brühl
• Vintage 8-Minute Promotional Reel in HD
• Theatrical Trailer in HD
• 4 TV Spots in HD
• 5 Radio Spots
• Poster and Image Gallery
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition Slipcase
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 129 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
From Clint Eastwood, the legendary director of Play Misty for Me, High Plains Drifter, Firefox, Gran Torino and Sully, comes this international espionage thriller set in the Swiss Alps. Jonathan Hemlock (Clint Eastwood, For a Few Dollars More) is a retired professional assassin who has adapted a calmer lifestyle with a pursuit of art collecting. When a close friend is murdered, Hemlock is suddenly forced out of retirement to hunt the deadly double agent that killed his comrade. The search takes him on a breathtaking journey up the Swiss Alps with a team of mountain climbers, one of which is an unidentified. target. Co-starring George Kennedy (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot), The Eiger Sanction features some of the most exciting mountain-climbing sequences ever captured on film. Two of the film’s best features are the terrific on-location photography by Frank Stanley (Magnum Force) and the hauntingly beautiful score by the great John Williams (Jaws).

captveg

#2852 Post by captveg » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:02 pm

More OOP:

The First Power (1990) (DVD still available)

John Cope

#2853 Post by John Cope » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:30 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:20 am
I'm posting this here because I have been completely unable to figure out how to create a new Topic in the Films section.

Heart of Midnight (Matthew Chapman, 1988)

I blind-bought this after watching the trailer that was included on a different KL disc as I found the visual aesthetic very intriguing. I watched the film tonight and was pretty knocked out for the first hour, but during the last half-hour I felt the storytelling really started to stumble: characters seemed to just disappear, I couldn't understand how certain scenes moved from point A to point B, etc. Also, it was confusing because scenes that were in the trailer I had watched were missing (I kept waiting for Steve Buscemi's character to reappear to deliver a certain line), but sure enough, those scenes never appeared in the film. Although there were many things I liked about it's production design & cinematography, the performances, and the mood, I was also disappointed in the end, with the feeling of "wait...that's it?"

After watching the film I was reading through its IMDb page, and in the "alternate versions" section, it states "The Italian and German VHS and TV editions run 1:29:01 at PAL speed; the UK DVD edition runs 1:46:25 at PAL speed, so it's 17 minutes longer." The Blu-ray is only 93 minutes (which basically matches the shorter PAL runtime listed). Even without converting PAL, that UK DVD is longer than the US Blu-ray. I looked it up and several different sources seem to state the DVD runs 106 minutes.

Has anyone seen this longer version? What is in the additional 17-18 minutes? Do they improve the film?
The short answer is, yes. I write about the film at length here, including the differences between the two cuts. I actually got in touch with Chapman about this when the disc was released but he was dismissive of the inquiry and even seemed strangely unaware of which cut was on the KL release. That's especially strange considering that he provides a commentary for this shorter version (still, he also seemed unaware of the longer cut of Color of Night, which he also wrote, on the commentary for that film, so maybe he's just generally blissfully unaware of such matters).

Adam X

#2854 Post by Adam X » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 am

My experience of seeing the film recently was much the same as PfR73's, but I had no idea there was a longer cut available. Looking it up on the BBFC website, it seems even that disc is cut by 8s, but it'd be interesting to see what it's like nonetheless.

L.A.

#2855 Post by L.A. » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Coming November 17th!

ULYSSES (1954)
• 4K Restoration by StudioCanal
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Includes both U.S. and Italian cuts in HD
• Alternate U.S. Opening & Closing Titles (SD)
• Trailers
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 104 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
This lush adaptation of Homer’s grand epic The Odyssey stars Kirk Douglas (The Vikings) as the hero Ulysses. After victory in the Trojan War, Ulysses embarks on a ten-year journey back to his kingdom. But before he can reunite with his beloved wife (Silvana Mangano, 5 Branded Women), he must defeat the brutal Cyclops, escape the spell of Circe who turns his crew into swine and outwit the Sirens who lure sailors to their death. Peril is everywhere—even at home, where the arrogant Antinous (Anthony Quinn, Barabbas) plots to steal Ulysses’ wife before he can complete his final quest in this powerful tale of heroism. Co-starring Rossana Podestà (Helen of Troy) with stunning cinematography by Harold Rosson (Singin’ in the Rain).

JamesF

#2856 Post by JamesF » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:05 am

Adam X wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 am
My experience of seeing the film recently was much the same as PfR73's, but I had no idea there was a longer cut available. Looking it up on the BBFC website, it seems even that disc is cut by 8s, but it'd be interesting to see what it's like nonetheless.
Apparently the BBFC cuts are to shots of a “rape cartoon” playing on a TV. There’s a Japanese laserdisc that is presumably uncut.

Adam X

#2857 Post by Adam X » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Not sure buying a laserdisc player & Japanese disc would be worth it exactly, but interesting to know what's missing ; ). Thanks James.

L.A.

#2858 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:35 pm

Coming November 10th!

THE BEGUILED (1971)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• The Beguiled, Misty, Don and Clint – Featurette
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with John Landis
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 105 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
From Don Siegel, the legendary director of Madigan, Coogan’s Bluff, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Charley Varrick, The Black Windmill and The Shootist, comes this tense psychological drama of love and betrayal starring screen legend Clint Eastwood (For a Few Dollars More, Play Misty for Me) with Geraldine Page (The Trip to Bountiful), Elizabeth Hartman (The Group), Jo Ann Harris (Act of Vengeance), Pamelyn Ferdin (The Mephisto Waltz) and Melody Thomas Scott (The Young and the Restless). During the Civil War, a wounded Union soldier is sheltered by the headmistress and students of a girls’ academy in the South. As his health returns, his desire increases—but can he trust these enemy women not to turn him in? He takes his chances but soon realizes that his benefactress can’t be trusted... with his love or with his life! His lustful ambition turns quickly against him and the story follows him through a series of nerve-shattering events, including realistic scenes that are among the boldest, most shocking ever witnessed on film.

captveg

#2859 Post by captveg » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:01 pm

OOP update:

Woman of Straw (1964) (DVD still available)

bluesforyou

#2860 Post by bluesforyou » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:51 am

Completely missed the news about Mad Max UHD. Very exciting.

Coming November 24th on 4KUHD!

Mad Max (1979)

Note: We’re still hoping to add a NEW interview with director George Miller.

DISC 1 (4KUHD)
• HDR Dolby Vision
• Audio Commentary with Art Director Jon Dowding, Cinematographer David Eggby, Special Effects Artist Chris Murray, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Ridge
• Australian 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Mono
• U.S. English Dubbed 2.0 Lossless Mono
• Dual-Layered UHD100 Disc

DISC 2 (BD50)
• Interviews with Stars Mel Gibson & Joanne Samuel and Cinematographer David Eggby
• Audio Commentary with Art Director Jon Dowding, Cinematographer David Eggby, Special Effects Artist Chris Murray, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Ridge
• Mel Gibson: Birth of a Superstar
• Mad Max: The Film Phenomenon
• Two Theatrical Trailers
• Three TV Spots
• Three Radio Spots
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Josh Olson
• Australian 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Mono
• U.S. English Dubbed 2.0 Lossless Mono
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 93 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
From George Miller, the acclaimed director of The Road Warrior, The Witches of Eastwick, Lorenzo’s Oil and Mad Max: Fury Road, comes this post-apocalyptic masterpiece starring screen legend Mel Gibson (Lethal Weapon, Braveheart, Payback). In the ravaged near-future, a savage motorcycle gang rules the road. Terrorizing innocent civilians while tearing up the streets, the ruthless gang laughs in the face of a police force hell-bent on stopping them. But they underestimate one officer: Max (Gibson). And when the bikers brutalize Max’s best friend and family, they send him into a mad frenzy that leaves him with only one thing left in the world to live for—revenge!

Also, released separately on Blu-ray!

dwk

#2861 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:10 am

Kino announced The Hot Spot from a new 2K scan. So you can skip the OOP Shout double feature.

yoloswegmaster

#2862 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:44 am

Kino is going to be releasing Mel Brooks' 'Spaceballs' on 4K UHD.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2863 Post by cdnchris » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:04 pm

There's something maddening about Spaceballs getting a 4K release while other labels won't even test the waters.

Definitely still buying it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2864 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:41 pm

The dick jokes will really sparkle in this ultra hi def presentation

captveg

#2865 Post by captveg » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:16 pm

OOP update:

Red Line 7000 (1965) (DVD still available)

Ribs

#2866 Post by Ribs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:12 pm

It seems insane seeing as Kino cancelled their plans to release the Producers on UHD. I understand the Star Wars of it all will sell better generally but I cannot imagine the falloff is high enough to make one release worthwhile and the other not. Hoping that more encouraging sales for the titles that aren’t Hannibal might get them to reverse course on that one and go back to their original plans.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2867 Post by Drucker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Maybe they knew they'd get the wrong-color'd version of The Producers which would inhibit sales?

Ribs

#2868 Post by Ribs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:13 pm

They’re releasing it on BD still, just not 4K.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2869 Post by tenia » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Drucker wrote:Maybe they knew they'd get the wrong-color'd version of The Producers which would inhibit sales?
I doubt this actually inhibit many sales.

dwk

#2870 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Does the 4k master of The Producers have an HDR grade? If it is SDR only, that could be why they dropped the planned UHD release.

yoloswegmaster

#2871 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:27 pm

Isn't Spaceballs a more well-known film then The Producers? I know that the former is a cult-classic but I'm unaware how well known the latter is. Maybe that factored into which film got a UHD release?

Ribs

#2872 Post by Ribs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:22 pm
Does the 4k master of The Producers have an HDR grade? If it is SDR only, that could be why they dropped the planned UHD release.
The currently available 4K streams of Spaceballs don’t have HDR, so it’s clearly not an issue to raise the costs to make a new one.

I think both films are classic comedies albeit of a different sort, both just under Frankenstein and Saddles for the most famous of his films. Again, I’m sure it’s a basic calculation of the Star Wars of it all meaning more genre/cult-y sales to make it *more* popular but I really don’t see why The Producers wouldn’t sell near enough the same. Ah well, always possible it’s a title Arrow Academy might go after.

dwk

#2873 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Ribs wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm
The currently available 4K streams of Spaceballs don’t have HDR, so it’s clearly not an issue to raise the costs to make a new one.

...but I really don’t see why The Producers wouldn’t sell near enough the same. Ah well, always possible it’s a title Arrow Academy might go after
You sure about that? The whole reason they gave for dropping their planned UHDs of the three Leone/Eastwood films was the cost of doing HDR grades for them.

As for The Producers and Arrow Academy, it s a StudioCanal title in the UK, so I dont think that will happen, but maybe StudioCanal will release it themselves.

Ribs

#2874 Post by Ribs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:31 pm

It might have been too much money to do it for three movies but not for just one.

Wasn’t aware of the different UK rightsholders. Ah well! Back to hoping for a change of heart from Kino.

movielocke

#2875 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:48 am

dwk wrote:
Ribs wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm

...but I really don’t see why The Producers wouldn’t sell near enough the same. Ah well, always possible it’s a title Arrow Academy might go after
You sure about that? The whole reason they gave for dropping their planned UHDs of the three Leone/Eastwood films was the cost of doing HDR grades for them.

As for The Producers and Arrow Academy, it s a StudioCanal title in the UK, so I dont think that will happen, but maybe StudioCanal will release it themselves.
The Leone movies are probably especially expensive because they’re two perf flat widescreen, not anamorphic four perf. That also means the image quality on the neg is substantially lower.

So those might be a special case because of how it was shot.