Altered Innocence

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
L.A.

Altered Innocence

#1 Post by L.A. » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:41 am

L.A.

Re: Altered Innocence

#2 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:19 am

lzx

#3 Post by lzx » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:12 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:19 am
Love Express: The Disappearance of Walerian Borowczyk coming November 10th.
Trailer

senseabove

#4 Post by senseabove » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:56 pm

This label's quietly doing some great stuff as a kind of queer Vinegar Syndrome with more of an arthouse focus. Their release of Yann Gonzalez's Knife + Heart is great, and alongside several other recent films, they've announced an interesting array of restorations they'll eventually be releasing on blu-ray: a Fred Halsted collection that includes LA Plays Itself, Sextool, and Sex Garage; Dressed in Blue, a 1980s Spanish documentary by Antonio Giménez Rico about six trans women in Spain in the 80s; and Ivan Zulueta's Rapture (Arrebato).

JamesF

#5 Post by JamesF » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:43 am

Very pleased to see this label will soon be releasing a 4K restoration of one of my wishlist titles, director Garth Maxwell's stylish Kiwi horror oddity Jack Be Nimble, starring Bruno Lawrence and a pre-transition Alexis Arquette (doing a very serviceable NZ accent, I might add): https://www.alteredinnocence.net/jackbenimble
I've held onto my widescreen Tartan VHS for years because the only other alternatives were a pan-and-scan laserdisc (the film was shot in anamorphic 1.85:1) and a NZ DVD that cropped the pan-and-scan master to 1.85 so that most of the image was missing!

ianthemovie

#6 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 am

Coming from Altered Innocence: "Dressed in Blue (Vestida de Azul)', a portrait of 6 trans women from 1983 post-Franco Spain opens in U.S. cinemas starting on November 16th."

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:59 pm

I posted this in the Vinegar Syndrome thread not realizing there was a thread for Altered Innocence. Seems like this thread could use a bump:
colinr0380 wrote:Plus Altered Innocence is putting out an early film by Patrice Chéreau (who would go on to La Reine Margot, Those Who Love Me Can Take The Train and Intimacy) The Wounded Man which features a very early Jean-Hugues Anglade starring role, pre-Subway and Betty Blue.
Got my copy yesterday and gave it a spin tonight. I haven’t seen it in a good 30 years, but my reaction to it was almost the same. It’s a very odd film, similar to a middle-period Fassbinder film with its focus on searching for human connection on the margins of and in the underbelly of society. It’s also a resolutely unerotic film, despite its reputation and its prevalent nudity. It’s less an erotic thriller than it is a depiction of wild animals on the hunt. Anglade darts around, wild-eyed, like a spooked rabbit; Vittorio Mezzogiorno (so handsome he’s ugly or vice-versa) is a wolf on the prowl, appearing and disappearing behind darkened corners; and Roland Bertin is a great bear drunk on rotten fruit and stumbling through the woods. The sex in the movie—and there really isn’t any in a conventional sense—is more like a small animal trying to rip meat off a larger carcass. If you were uncharitable you would think that these actors had never seen anyone kiss or make love, but the hungry brutality of it feels entirely intentional.

(And I knew that Denis Lavant showed up somewhere, but he only appears as a guy cruising a men’s room giving someone that fatal Denis Lavant stare. No dialogue, but unmistakably him.)

The extras consist of two scholarly-style video essays (generally not my cup of tea) and a couple of trailers. Nice transfer with some slight and almost unnoticeable technical glitches in a couple of scenes. Worth splurging on if it’s the kind of thing you think you might be interested in.

I also watched the Altered Innocence release of Wild Reeds, and I’d say about the same regarding the transfer and extras. Though the three primary actors (Gaël Morel, Stéphane Rideau, and Élodie Bouchez) all went on to continued success in film, it feels like Téchiné caught lightning in a bottle with them here, capturing their and their characters’ confused, emotional youth at a crucial turning point. Lovely film, and more sweetly chaste than I remembered it.

Calvin

#8 Post by Calvin » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:25 pm

Per the programme for the New York Film Festival, Altered Innocence will be releasing Paul Vecchiali's The Strangler. Hopefully they've picked up some other Vecchiali films as well

criterionsnob

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#9 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 am

Altered Innocence have announced their first two non-partner label Blu-ray releases.

She Is Conann - May 7
Ozon’s Transgressive Triple (Sitcom, Criminal Lovers, and Water Drops on Burning Rocks) - June 25

Peacock

#10 Post by Peacock » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:58 am

criterionsnob wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 am
Altered Innocence have announced their first two non-partner label Blu-ray releases.

She Is Conann - May 7
Ozon’s Transgressive Triple (Sitcom, Criminal Lovers, and Water Drops on Burning Rocks) - June 25
She is Conann was inevitable but I’m so glad it’s coming this soon. Cannot wait!

And three key Ozons at last on English friendly Blus. Amazing announcements.

Stefan Andersson

#11 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:35 pm

Peacock wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:58 am
criterionsnob wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 am

She Is Conann - May 7
She is Conann was inevitable but I’m so glad it’s coming this soon. Cannot wait!

And three key Ozons at last on English friendly Blus. Amazing announcements.
Which version of Criminal Lovers will this be?

From the ImdB Alternate versions page for Criminal Lovers:

"The 2001 DVD release in France from Paramount contains an alternate cut of the film, running 80 mins., which places most of the events into chronological order."