Festival Circuit 2020

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
ianthemovie

Re: Festival Circuit 2020

#151 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:11 pm

When did you guys try to order tickets? I went on the website the first day that tickets went on sale to the general public (I think it was September 11) and there seemed to be plenty available, at least for the main slate films I was interested in. I can't speak for the opening/closing/centerpiece selections though.

Knife Eater

#152 Post by Knife Eater » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 am

chiendent wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm
I'm not sure if it's because I was watching on my TV over HDMI but a watermark with my full name and email was on the side of the screen the entire time. I understand it's kind of like a screener but I hate the idea of seeing Flowers of Shanghai for the first time like that. Has this been the case for others?
That's been the case for all three films I've watched so far (The Spook Who Sat by the Door, Fauna, The Calming). This was true regardless of whether I tried watching on my laptop or through the browser app on my TV. I was a bit disappointed by this as well, though I adjusted to it fairly quickly. It looks like the individual film pages now have a disclaimer referencing the watermark, but I don't recall that disclaimer being in place when tickets went on sale to the general public on the 11th.

Since Sibyl is in general release and not a NYFF offering, I'm assuming that's why that title is appearing sans watermark.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#153 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 pm

therewillbeblus

#154 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Glad that Ema is getting another spotlight exposure, though pretty disappointing to see only one of zedz' Latin America-heavy top ten make the cut

Grand Wazoo

#155 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:58 pm

I've seen almost no chatter about this but NYFF programmed and then pulled a short doc from their lineup and released this statement that feels like it's trying to take all sides. While I don't know specifics beyond what is mentioned here, it does seem like using this rubric for programming could mean any documentary film about 'bad people' could be subject to similar results. Yet somehow I doubt if something like, to use an extreme example, The Act of Killing, would be programmed then pulled from a festival slate if victims or families of victims affected by the subjects complained.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#156 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:37 pm

I noticed NYFF’s site is now also including warnings such as these for some films
Warning: this film contains depictions of sexual violence

furbicide

#157 Post by furbicide » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:09 pm

I would have thought that's pretty standard – the Melbourne International Film Festival has included warnings like that (also for, say, animal slaughter or real-life violence) for years now. I don't have a problem with it; it's common courtesy to warn people that they might encounter distressing content. But pulling a film from the program in these circumstances comes from a fundamentally different ethos, I feel – one that actively disrespects viewers – and seems more about PR damage control than any actual harm the film's screening might have caused.

Grand Wazoo

#158 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:00 pm

furbicide wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:09 pm
I would have thought that's pretty standard – the Melbourne International Film Festival has included warnings like that (also for, say, animal slaughter or real-life violence) for years now. I don't have a problem with it; it's common courtesy to warn people that they might encounter distressing content. But pulling a film from the program in these circumstances comes from a fundamentally different ethos, I feel – one that actively disrespects viewers – and seems more about PR damage control than any actual harm the film's screening might have caused.
Wholly agreed. The statement is so bizarre as it implies they stand by their rigorous selection process and feel the film is worthwhile and challenging, then directly contradict that in the following sentence. And still no one is taking them to task on this from what I've seen, though to be fair I'm certain anyone making a big stink about it will just become a film twitter pariah with charges of "Oh, so you endorse what he did!?" lobbed their way, rendering any actual discourse impossible. Very cool.

therewillbeblus

#159 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:57 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:11 pm
As thrilled as I am for the Mouret, Thomas Vinterberg's Druk sounds fascinating. It could easily be deeply offensive and problematic for me, but if pulled off right the possibilities are endless. Hopefully it's as bold as it sounds (and with Vinterberg at the helm, I'm optimistic).
Old news but Druk has been picked up by Samuel Goldwyn Films under the U.S. title Another Round for stateside distribution, will drop somewhere online in December.