Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Studio Canal/Kinowelt/Optimum

#1651 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Do you mean the 2K restoration of La Strada from 2017 or the new 4K one?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1652 Post by Drucker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:58 pm

Probably the former, just commenting that the Studio Canal UK disc never seemed like reason enough to upgrade the Criterion DVD.

L.A.

#1653 Post by L.A. » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:27 pm

The Elephant Man Collector’s Edition in April.

M Sanderson

#1654 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 pm

Have they still got the U.K. rights to Masque of the Red Death? Rumours that it’s been remastered from 4k, so when are we going to see this?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1655 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:55 am

If Cabiria has been done from a new fine grain master, there is no reason for it to look like this. And honestly, it just looks digitally filtered. Even dupes have a typically filmic grain.

Yes, I've seen some caps of Journal d'un curé, and it looks marvelous. It should be out in France through Studio Canal in March.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1656 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 am

Saw the 4k restoration trailer of Caibiria yesterday at Film Forum and can pretty confidently say that it doesn't seem to come from a new restoration, FWIW. It had scratches on it and pulsing brightness at various points.

M Sanderson

#1657 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:53 am

Villain (1971) with Richard Burton coming out on March 20; Vintage Classics.

No details regarding restoration work/fresh scans etc.

M Sanderson

#1658 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:02 pm

Villain has now been confirmed as a new restoration.

rapta

#1659 Post by rapta » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:30 pm

If StudioCanal are releasing The Nights of Cabiria, why have BFI Video submitted it to the BBFC? Very odd..

KJones77

#1660 Post by KJones77 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:56 pm

rapta wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:30 pm
If StudioCanal are releasing The Nights of Cabiria, why have BFI Video submitted it to the BBFC? Very odd..
Could BFI be doing a Fellini box-set of their own with SC licensing out titles like Nights of Cabiria as box-set exclusives?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1661 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:49 am

The BFI submitted the movie as "film", in opposition to submitting it for "video". The BFI has UK theatrical rights and will show theatrically the movies as part of their Fellini 100th anniversary event this year, while SC will be the ones releasing those on video. The BFI also submitted Juliet of the Spirits, I Vitelloni and La Dolce Vita, for instance.
Nothing new here, since this was announced on Oct 30th 2019.

ianthemovie

Re: Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1662 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:35 pm

It looks like this may not have ever been posted about here, but some while back StudioCanal released a 2-disc special edition of The Piano:

DISC ONE Film and audio commentary with Jane Campion and Jan Chapman
The Making of The Piano

DISC TWO Original Soundtrack CD
Alternative artwork poster
Booklet featuring new essays by: Film critic & broadcaster Anna Smith, Screenwriter & critic Kate Muir and Film journalist and Editor-at-large of Empire magazine Helen O'Hara

Has anyone picked this up? (I'm assuming it also includes subtitles for the sign language and Maori dialogue which were criminally left off of the Lionsgate R1 Blu-ray?)

feihong

#1663 Post by feihong » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:55 am

After you pointed this release out to me, I picked it up. I had a previous 2014 StudioCanal release of this blu ray, but to my eyes this transfer looks a bit better (and that transfer looked waaaaay better than the Lionsgate r1). There is a good amount of visible grain throughout, though it's a half-a-shade softer than one would like. In some of the heavily-filtered shots the grain looks a bit softer. The color separation seems improved on the Special Edition than on the 2014 disc. There's an English subtitle track that does seem to translate the Maori dialogue and the sign language. I've not checked the director/producer audio commentary, but I assume it's the same one as on the 2014 SC blu ray. The only new features are the soundtrack to the film on a separate CD, and a feature on the blu-ray called "The Piano at 25." The Making Of is also from the 2014 disc. There is a horrible poster to unfold from the box, look at, be horrified (the art is excrutiating), and stuff it right back next to a booklet with some critical essays on the movie. Not a lot of material in these essays you couldn't just get from watching the movie, I don't think.

I think the only real difference between the 2014 disc and the current one is that the compression looks a hair better. And the Special Edition is super-cheap. It's definitely worth getting, if you are still relying upon the LionsGate disc.

ianthemovie

#1664 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks! I ordered a copy as well but haven’t received it yet. Can’t wait to see that poster!

So if I understand you right, the only way to get subtitles for the Maori and sign language dialogue is to turn on the captions for the whole movie? Why is it so hard for the studios to get this right? Sigh.

feihong

#1665 Post by feihong » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 pm

That correct as far as I can see about the subtitles. To be fair, I saw this in the theater about 6 times when it came out, and none of the sign language or Maori dialogue was translated there.

ianthemovie

#1666 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:34 pm

feihong wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 pm
That correct as far as I can see about the subtitles. To be fair, I saw this in the theater about 6 times when it came out, and none of the sign language or Maori dialogue was translated there.
That's fascinating. I have never seen The Piano theatrically but have owned multiple home video copies of it going back to VHS in the late 90s, as well as seen it on TV, and all of them prior to the Lionsgate R1 Blu-ray had subtitled that dialogue. I'm not sure what part of the world you're in; could it be a regional difference? It's possible to follow the movie without those subtitles but they add immense resonance, as when Ada explains that she and Flora's father could communicate without speaking (setting up a parallel to the later scene in which Stewart claims to have heard Ada communicating with him telepathically), to take only one example.

feihong

#1667 Post by feihong » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm

I live in Los Angeles. Now that you mention it, I do remember the scene you talk about being subtitled, but I also recall that scene being an outlier. I'll check the disc again to see if they handle that scene any differently than the others.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1668 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:05 pm

FWIW, the script specifies subtitles for some but not all of the non-English dialogue.

ianthemovie

#1669 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:17 pm

What perfect timing--my copy of the Blu-ray was waiting for me when I got home today. I'm happy to report that all of the subtitling appears to have been restored and displays automatically (i.e., even with the rest of the captions turned off). It's a slightly different subtitle translation which I find interesting. (Ex. "It's a coffin. Let the sea bury it" is now rendered as "Push the coffin into the water.") There are some brief moments where Ada's sign language is not subtitled but I believe these were never subtitled in any of the previous versions.

bad future

#1670 Post by bad future » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:12 am

Drucker wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 am
Saw the 4k restoration trailer of Caibiria yesterday at Film Forum and can pretty confidently say that it doesn't seem to come from a new restoration, FWIW. It had scratches on it and pulsing brightness at various points.
I’m assuming this Film Forum trailer is a new, different one? Or does this exhibit all the problems detailed re: the Japanese blu-ray and I just can’t tell (watching it on my phone)? Would be great to know the restoration isn’t a bust after all...

A Tempted Christ

#1671 Post by A Tempted Christ » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 am

Here is a screenshot from JPN Blu-Ray:

And here is the same shot but from the new FilmForum trailer:

I apologize for uploading such big pictures, but I think they will be informative.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1672 Post by Drucker » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:52 am

It's bizarre but I swear the Film Forum trailer floating around online is not the one I saw at the actual Film Forum the other week. I am 100% positive there were scratches and pulsing in the picture.

New trailer looks wonderful. Very excited!

bad future

#1673 Post by bad future » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:08 pm

A Tempted Christ wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 am
I apologize for uploading such big pictures, but I think they will be informative.
Drucker wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:52 am
It's bizarre but I swear the Film Forum trailer floating around online is not the one I saw at the actual Film Forum the other week. I am 100% positive there were scratches and pulsing in the picture.

New trailer looks wonderful. Very excited!
Thanks! What a strange saga this has been. I wonder if the Japanese Blu-ray and/or earlier trailer were not actually from the new restoration, or if that blu had been unnecessarily messed with, or if additional work was done since then. I assume all the improvements evident here should go for the expected Criterion release? Hopefully also the StudioCanal one? Fingers crossed anyway..

eerik

#1674 Post by eerik » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Australian retailer Kicks (who appear to be the equivalent of Zoom in the UK) have listed Verhoeven's Basic Instinct 4K UHD for July, and Kurosawa's Ran for September. If the latter is correct then it should be the existing restoration from 2016, which makes me hope they will also release Mulholland Drive on UHD.
Last edited by eerik on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam X

#1675 Post by Adam X » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:34 am

It says they’re run by Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Australia. Not sure if that has any effect on the films they sell, though they only deliver to Australia.