Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Passages

#8601 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:15 am

Dylan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:40 pm
I think this is where I saw those interview on The Fugitive. Anyone know the identity of the DP he replaced?
I believe Frank Tidy (who did a brilliant job photographing Ridley Scott's The Duellists) was the first cinematographer on The Fugitive. Here is a picture of a clapperboard from the shooting with both of their names on it.
That would make sense since he did Under Siege. Funny, he actually worked with Davis on Chain Reaction, so they must have made up.

CSM126

#8602 Post by CSM126 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:18 am

Joseph Laurinaitis, aka Road Warrior Animal.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8603 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Juliette Gréco

Lemmy Caution

#8604 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:06 pm

NFL great Gale Sayers.
Possibly best known here for being half of the teammate duo at the heart of the film Brian's Song.

Pavel

#8605 Post by Pavel » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:23 am

Serbian director Goran Paskaljević, probably best known for Cabaret Balkan (only one I've seen).

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#8606 Post by ando » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:06 pm
NFL great Gale Sayers.
Possibly best known here for being half of the teammate duo at the heart of the film Brian's Song.
Thanks. His runs really were balletic. R.I.P.

Lemmy Caution

#8607 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Before my time, but you always heard Sayers talked about as one of the greats, and a class act.
He certainly carried the ball loosely, and liked to switch hands on longer runs.

Probably the best running back I ever saw was OJ, with his combination of speed, power and agility.
Probably the hardest to tackle and best open field jitterbug was Barry Sanders who just did uncanny stuff. Best power runner was probably Earl Campbell, who just plowed over and through defenders.
Dickerson was somewhere between OJ and Campbell.

Gotta hand it to guys who last 10+ years as an NFL running back. It's a brutal sport. Sayers played really just 5 years and finished shy of 5,000 yards. QB's Randall Cunningham and Cam Newton ran for almost as many yards in their careers. Quite a tribute that Sayers was elected to the HOF despite such a short career. Youngest player inducted.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#8608 Post by ando » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Before my time, but you always heard Sayers talked about as one of the greats, and a class act.
He certainly carried the ball loosely, and liked to switch hands on longer runs.

Probably the best running back I ever saw was OJ, with his combination of speed, power and agility.
Probably the hardest to tackle and best open field jitterbug was Barry Sanders who just did uncanny stuff. Best power runner was probably Earl Campbell, who just plowed over and through defenders.
Dickerson was somewhere between OJ and Campbell.

Gotta hand it to guys who last 10+ years as an NFL running back. It's a brutal sport. Sayers played really just 5 years and finished shy of 5,000 yards. QB's Randall Cunningham and Cam Newton ran for almost as many yards in their careers. Quite a tribute that Sayers was elected to the HOF despite such a short career. Youngest player inducted.
Receivers have eclipsed Running Backs in terms of draw. Other than Zeek I can’t think of a current Running Back that has captured a franchise brand the way the old backs did. And, as you point out, the vast majority simply don’t stay healthy for long stretches to establish the status of those RBs. The game has changed, too. Those dodging and weaving heroics seem almost relegated to WRs or in the rare instance, QBs like Lamar Jackson.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#8609 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Takeuchi Yūko, the first victim in the original Ring, a lead in Kurosawa's Creepy, and the title character in Hulu/HBO's Miss Sherlock.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8610 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:47 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:22 pm
Takeuchi Yūko, the first victim in the original Ring, a lead in Kurosawa's Creepy, and the title character in Hulu/HBO's Miss Sherlock.
Terribly sad. I've been a fan ever since seeing her in Shiota's Yomigaeri (2002).

dadaistnun

#8611 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Just awful. I really liked her in Creepy, a film I was kind of lukewarm on over all.
SpoilerShow
Her scream at the end is as crushing as any I've ever heard in a film.

colinr0380

#8612 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I would quite like to see the anthology drama revolving around the lives of six women in one family, Flowers, some time, in which she stars in the 1964 section.

She also appeared in a few episodes of that ABC series Flashforward.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8613 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:54 pm

dadaistnun -- I fully share your feelings on Yuko Takeuchi's performance in Creepy and on Creepy itself.

colin -- there was a whole lot of excellent young actresses in Flowers. But I know nothing at all about the director.

GaryC

#8614 Post by GaryC » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:04 am

Jimmy Winston, actor and musician, aged 75. He was the original keyboards player for Small Faces and had several acting roles in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Aunt Peg

#8615 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:32 am

hearthesilence

#8616 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:35 am

Mac Davis, perhaps best known for the songs he wrote for Elvis Presley, including the single "In the Ghetto" from his greatest non-compilation LP, Elvis in Memphis.

How rude!

#8617 Post by How rude! » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:32 am
Helen Reddy: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... es-aged-78
A moving essay on the influence of Helen Reddy, by former Australian prime minister Julia Gillard.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-01/ ... d/11810546

For those in the UK wondering about the controversy surrounding the appointment of another former Australian PM, Tony Abbott as a trade envoy, you could do no better than watch Julia Gillard's justly famous 2012 'misogyny' speech in parliament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNuPcf8L00

From the 12 year old girl hearing 'I am Woman' and being inspired and encouraged to stand up and demand respect, to the scathing critique in one of the great speeches, Helen Reddys' influence has been, and will continue to inspire women to demand respect. Many songs are labelled an anthem, but 'I am Woman' is the ultimate example, and as it will be playing on radio, and 'trending' on spotify/ facebook etc, it is encouraging to think that many will hear it for the first time(or really listen to the lyrics for the first time), as Julia Gillard did, and be inspired and encouraged.

FrauBlucher

#8618 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:46 pm

hearthesilence

#8619 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:52 pm

A rough month for Cardinals fans. Gibson may have been before my time, but just looking at his stats on paper was always mind-boggling to me:

"Gibson, who won two World Series rings with the Cardinals in 1964 and 1967, has been a part of the organization since he retired. The greatest pitcher to ever wear the Birds on the Bat, he changed the way baseball is played with his otherworldly 1968 season.

On the strength of a 22-9 record and an incomprehensible 1.12 ERA in 304.2 innings that summer, Gibson earned both the National League Cy Young and Most Valuable Player awards. His performance headlined the 'Year of the Pitcher,' leading MLB to lower the height of the mound the following year.

Given the nature of the game today, it's impossible to adequately appreciate Gibson's accomplishments, his contributions to the sport, without ever having seen them in person--but the back of his baseball card is truly candy to the eyes of baseball fans.

Gibby won 251 games during his 17-year career with the Cardinals. Remarkably, he pitched 255 complete games, meaning he had more complete games in his career than he did wins."

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#8620 Post by ando » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Wow. One of my heroes growing up. In his prime no one had nastier stuff. R.I.P.

FrauBlucher

#8621 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:57 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:52 pm
Given the nature of the game today, it's impossible to adequately appreciate Gibson's accomplishments, his contributions to the sport, without ever having seen them in person--but the back of his baseball card is truly candy to the eyes of baseball fans.
Here! Here! Well done

Tim McCarver likes to tell this story when he first caught Gibson. He walked to the mound to talk to Gibson after he gave up a few hits. Before McCarver could get to the top of the mound Gibson told him to go back to his position and said, "all you know about pitching is it's hard to hit."

Pavel

#8622 Post by Pavel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:52 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8623 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:44 pm

Grand Wazoo

#8624 Post by Grand Wazoo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:48 pm

Clark Middleton due to West Nile Virus

This is such a shame. He ran an acting program in NYC for many years which a friend of mine was attending and on one occasion I was allowed to sit in and watch a session. He was a genuinely impressive teacher and he molded scenes with such skill that you wished he got the chance to direct more often than he did. Afterward I spoke to him for a bit and aside from being a nice inviting man, he was a real cinephile with deep knowledge and love for the medium. We somehow got on the topic of Japanese cinema and discussed Imamura and Mizoguchi at length. He overcame a lot to get to where he was, making his loss even more tragic.

therewillbeblus

#8625 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks for sharing that personal appreciation. He seemed to pop up in everything this millennium, most recently during my run through of Fringe, and ascended typecasting within the character actor circuit. He didn’t appear to be slowing down either.. very sad.