Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
L.A.

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2876 Post by L.A. » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:44 pm

senseabove wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:33 pm
Love Me Tonight (1932)
Beaver.

L.A.

#2877 Post by L.A. » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm

bluesforyou wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:51 am
Completely missed the news about Mad Max UHD. Very exciting.

Coming November 24th on 4KUHD!

Mad Max (1979)

Note: We’re still hoping to add a NEW interview with director George Miller.

DISC 1 (4KUHD)
• HDR Dolby Vision
• Audio Commentary with Art Director Jon Dowding, Cinematographer David Eggby, Special Effects Artist Chris Murray, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Ridge
• Australian 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Mono
• U.S. English Dubbed 2.0 Lossless Mono
• Dual-Layered UHD100 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

DISC 2 (BD50)
• Interviews with Stars Mel Gibson & Joanne Samuel and Cinematographer David Eggby
• Audio Commentary with Art Director Jon Dowding, Cinematographer David Eggby, Special Effects Artist Chris Murray, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Ridge
• Mel Gibson: Birth of a Superstar
• Mad Max: The Film Phenomenon
• Two Theatrical Trailers
• Three TV Spots
• Three Radio Spots
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Josh Olson
• Australian 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Mono
• U.S. English Dubbed 2.0 Lossless Mono
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 93 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
From George Miller, the acclaimed director of The Road Warrior, The Witches of Eastwick, Lorenzo’s Oil and Mad Max: Fury Road, comes this post-apocalyptic masterpiece starring screen legend Mel Gibson (Lethal Weapon, Braveheart, Payback). In the ravaged near-future, a savage motorcycle gang rules the road. Terrorizing innocent civilians while tearing up the streets, the ruthless gang laughs in the face of a police force hell-bent on stopping them. But they underestimate one officer: Max (Gibson). And when the bikers brutalize Max’s best friend and family, they send him into a mad frenzy that leaves him with only one thing left in the world to live for—revenge!

Also, released separately on Blu-ray!
They announced on Facebook that they’ve added a new 30-minute interview with George Miller.

Calvin

#2878 Post by Calvin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:42 pm

LADYBUG LADYBUG (1964)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Theatrical Teaser (In HD)
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

DIARY OF A MAD HOUSEWIFE (1970)
• Audio Commentary by Screenwriter Larry Karaszewski with Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Steve Mitchell
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Both will be released on December 15th. Worth noting that we know Indicator will be releasing Diary of a Mad Housewife at some point.

beamish14

#2879 Post by beamish14 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:19 pm

All of the wait for just THAT? No commentary on Ladybug? No Frank Langella interview on Mad Housewife? None
of the alternate scenes Perry shot for the TV version?
Last edited by beamish14 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#2880 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:41 pm
Gonna be seriously pissed if Lord Love a Duck doesn't have a Joe Dante commentary.
Looks like it's barebones, what a missed opportunity for a film demanding context

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2881 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Preminger's Rosebud coming soon to Blu

Reverend Drewcifer

#2882 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:45 pm
Theodore Gershuny's book Soon to be a Major Motion Picture offers a blow-by-blow behind the scenes of Rosebud.

Matt

#2883 Post by Matt » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 pm

L.A. wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:44 pm
senseabove wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:33 pm
Love Me Tonight (1932)
Beaver.
Not for the first time do I disagree with Gary. I don’t think this is a vast improvement on the DVD. Despite the increased resolution, the BD image actually looks somewhat softer to me, and the contrast boosting is too extreme to the extent that the whites in many shots look too bright. It’s been cleaned up quite a bit, all the dust and scratches visible on the DVD removed, but maybe to the point of softening all the grain and giving everything a Vaseline-smeared look? Of course, I watch this film every time it’s on TCM, so I’ll probably just keep both versions and never watch either of them.

knives

#2884 Post by knives » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:45 pm
That’s exciting as I think it stands as one of Preminger’s best despite a too old O’Toole and one of the most complex and relevant takes on terrorism in film.

Calvin

#2885 Post by Calvin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:54 am

BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
Includes both English & Italian Tracks with Optional English subtitles
Audio commentary by film critic Nick Pinkerton
Booklet essay by film scholar Alberto Zambenedetti
Theatrical Trailer

It's great that it's from the new restoration, but it's really disappointing that they couldn't include any of the extensive extras on the Carlotta release especially El Il Casanova de Fellini

britcom68

#2886 Post by britcom68 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:24 am

beamish14 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:19 pm
All of the wait for just THAT? No commentary on Ladybug? No Frank Langella interview on Mad Housewife? None
of the alternate scenes Perry shot for the TV version?
Kino announced on their Facebook page late Fri that Ladybug release *will* include commentary by Richard Harland Smith. no other supplements announced.

L.A.

#2887 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:16 pm

Coming January 5th!

Rough Night in Jericho (1967)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 104 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From Arnold Laven, the director of Anna Lucasta, Geronimo, The Glory Guys and Sam Whiskey, comes this tension-filled western starring screen greats Dean Martin (Texas Across the River), George Peppard (Newman’s Law) and Jean Simmons (Elmer Gantry). One-time lawman Alex Flood (Martin) is now the ruthless boss of Jericho—a town he once helped to clean up. Now this officer-gone-bad has bullied his way into owning more than half of all of Jericho’s businesses with the exception of the stagecoach line run by the strong-willed widow Molly Lang (Simmons). Molly and the townspeople turn to former Deputy U.S. Marshal Dolan (Peppard) for help but he refuses to take on the tyrant, figuring any confrontation with Flood or his men is a losing battle. How far can one man be pushed before he finally fights back? Co-starring Slim Pickens (The Getaway) and John McIntire (Backlash).

L.A.

#2888 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Coming January 5th!

Texas Across the River (1966)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 101 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From Michael Gordon, the outstanding director of An Act of Murder, The Lady Gambles, Woman in Hiding, Cyrano de Bergerac, Pillow Talk and Portrait in Black, comes this wonderful comedy-western starring screen icons Dean Martin (Rio Bravo, Something Big) and Alain Delon (The Sicilian Clan,Un Flic). The Louisiana wedding of debutante Phoebe Ann Naylor (Rosemary Forsyth, The War Lord) to Don Andrea de Baldasar, El Duce de la Casala (Delon) is stopped by the cavalry over a matter of honor. Don Andrea flees across the river to Texas, where he meets up with Sam Hollis (Martin) and his Indian sidekick, Kronk (Joey Bishop, Ocean’s 11), who are carrying rifles to the town of Moccasin Flats. Don Andrea rescues an Indian maiden, Lonetta (Tina Aumont, Man, Pride & Vengeance), tames some longhorns, competes with Sam for Phoebe’s affections, eludes a Comanche war party and the cavalry (who have come to Moccasin Flats to celebrate Texas statehood) and ultimately saves the town and gets his girl. Co-starring Peter Graves (Robbers’ Roost), Michael Ansara (The Pink Jungle) and Andrew Prine (They’re Playing with Fire).

captveg

#2889 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:37 pm

More OOP:

Separate Tables (1958) (DVD still available)
They're Playing with Fire (1984) (DVD still available)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2890 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:33 am

Noticed by accident that they just put out the Tod Slaughter film The Face at the Window on Blu-ray!

JPJ

#2891 Post by JPJ » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:31 am

swo17 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:33 am
Noticed by accident that they just put out the Tod Slaughter film The Face at the Window on Blu-ray!
Yeah,I want to buy it too, just because the French guy who scripted the commentary on Kino's disc stole my VHS tapes back in 1993 or 94!😡

L.A.

#2892 Post by L.A. » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:56 am

Coming January 5th!
Nominated for 3 Oscars!

Captain Newman, M.D. (1963)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 126 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
From David Miller, the outstanding director of Sudden Fear, Midnight Lace, Lonely Are the Brave and Executive Action, comes this realistic look at life and love inside a stateside military hospital’s psychiatric ward during World War II, starring screen great Gregory Peck (Yellow Sky, The Big Country, On the Beach). This classic comedy-drama follows the affable Captain Newman (Peck) as he uses both humor and compassion to reach patients whose wartime injuries plague their minds instead of their bodies. Co-starring Tony Curtis (The Great Impostor), Angie Dickinson (The Art of Love), Eddie Albert (Attack), Robert Duvall (Tender Mercies), Dick Sargent (TV’s Bewitched) and Bobby Darin (Come September), this critically acclaimed film is just what the doctor ordered! Captain Newman, M.D. was nominated for three Oscars: Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Darin), Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium (Richard L. Breen, Phoebe Ephron, Henry Ephron) and Best Sound (Waldon O. Watson).

L.A.

#2893 Post by L.A. » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Coming January 5th!

The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Biographer Nat Segaloff
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 110 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From Jack Smight, the acclaimed director of Harper, Kaleidoscope, No Way to Treat a Lady and The Traveling Executioner, comes this wacky comedy starring screen legend Paul Newman (The Hustler, The Sting). The Secret War of Harry Frigg tells the story of a good-for-nothing goldbrick whose only talent is escaping from the Army stockade. Sent behind enemy lines to free five Allied generals held prisoner in an Italian villa, Harry Frigg (Newman), hardly the dedicated type, becomes sidetracked from his zany mission by a sexy Italian Contessa (Sylva Koscina, Hornets’ Nest, Lisa and the Devil). He finally uses his talent to escape, and his new rank of Major General to create havoc in this wild and brilliantly satirical tale of World War II. Beautifully shot in CinemaScope by the great Russell Metty (Spartacus) and featuring a hilarious supporting cast that includes Tom Bosley (Love with the Proper Stranger), Norman Fell (Charley Varrick) and Buck Henry (Old Boyfriends).

beamish14

#2894 Post by beamish14 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Nat Segaloff is a fantastic writer. He's the author of the incredible William Friedkin biography Hurricane Billy and he
extensively documented the production of the last film John Huston was partially responsible for, Mr. North

Orlac

#2895 Post by Orlac » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:51 pm

JPJ wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:31 am
swo17 wrote:
Yeah,I want to buy it too, just because the French guy who scripted the commentary on Kino's disc stole my VHS tapes back in 1993 or 94!😡
He's on the Classic Horror Film Board - a fascinating raconteur but very prickly!

JPJ

#2896 Post by JPJ » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Orlac wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:51 pm
JPJ wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:31 am
swo17 wrote:
He's on the Classic Horror Film Board - a fascinating raconteur but very prickly!
Oh I didn't know that! Back in the day I traded tapes with him. We had already made a couple of deals so of course I trusted him. He wanted some rare Finnish films, naturally they were unsubtitled but he said he didn't care. I think I sent him three tapes and never heard back.. I guess it wasn't that serious but I was young and didn't have that much money so I was pretty pissed off.
At that time he was preparing a book about Tod Slaughter, don't know if it ever got published.

captveg

#2897 Post by captveg » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:20 pm

More OOP:

Modern Girls (1986)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2898 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Huston’s Freud: the Secret Passion coming soon. Not a very good movie, but I know there’s been some interest from others on the forum in it

beamish14

#2899 Post by beamish14 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:45 pm
Huston’s Freud: the Secret Passion coming soon. Not a very good movie, but I know there’s been some interest from others on the forum in it
Count me among the very fervent lovers of this one. Huston had an incredibly patchy 1960's, with this one being the very
best he made during that time. It feels more like a horror film than a biopic, and there are some amazing
images in it. Montgomery Clift was inspired casting despite the fact that he likely incurred a traumatic brain
injury from his car crash during the making of Raintree Country and Huston had a very hard time
getting him to keep track of his lines. Jerry Goldsmith's score was a game changer.

fdm

#2900 Post by fdm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Kind of surprised that the Kino Shocktober Sale hasn't been mentioned around these parts. I was late in noticing it myself, it apparently started on the 15th, ends Nov 2.