Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3901 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:55 am

I contacted Rialto Pictures about Il Boom...their reply
Unfortunately we have no information about a possible physical release.

black&huge

#3902 Post by black&huge » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:29 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am
News from reddit, about 13 minutes into the Spinal Tap episode of the Cox & Kjølseth podcast, Alex Cox mentions he is doing something for Criterion's upcoming Parallax View release
Excellent!

therewillbeblus

#3903 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Wonderful- fingers crossed Criterion doesn't stop here and prioritizes the other major Pakula/Paramount title Starting Over

colinr0380

#3904 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:41 am

black&huge wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:29 pm
dwk wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am
News from reddit, about 13 minutes into the Spinal Tap episode of the Cox & Kjølseth podcast, Alex Cox mentions he is doing something for Criterion's upcoming Parallax View release
Excellent!
I wonder if it will expand on his 1993 BBC introduction! Thanks for alerting me to the podcast too dwk!

(I also hope that Cox might be able to see if Criterion could get the great lost Moviedrome film, Francesco Rosi's The Mattei Affair, released)

movielocke

#3905 Post by movielocke » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Scorsese is really churning through his criterion to do list in this Covid era:

20/05/26 - Scorsese Shorts
20/09/29 - WCP 3
20/11/24 - Irishman
21/01/19 - Rolling Thunder

So since he's unlikely to start production anytime soon on new filming what other projects are likely to come out every 2-3. months? After Hours? WCP 4? Kundun? Tales of Hoffman?
Last edited by movielocke on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3906 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Kundun was already worked on for Kino Lorber

FrauBlucher

#3907 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Mean Streets should probably be included

Calvin

#3908 Post by Calvin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm

I don't think they've even been rumoured, but I imagine that Warner would licence out Who's That Knocking On My Door? and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore without putting up much of a fight. I'm still somewhat surprised that Scorsese Shorts was a standalone release and not paired with either one of those or Mean Streets.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3909 Post by Drucker » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm
I don't think they've even been rumoured, but I imagine that Warner would licence out Who's That Knocking On My Door? and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore without putting up much of a fight. I'm still somewhat surprised that Scorsese Shorts was a standalone release and not paired with either one of those or Mean Streets.
Why on earth were those films DVD-only for BFI though?

Calvin

#3910 Post by Calvin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 am

Drucker wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 pm
Calvin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm
Why on earth were those films DVD-only for BFI though?
The BFI's Ben Stoddart commented on Facebook about this a few weeks ago, saying that they "licensed two films and after being told there were HD masters, we were told last minute that there weren't any. I doubt they'll be renewed (not sure when they expire) as DVD only isn't worth keeping out there. I'd happily not have released them at all once the truth about the masters was shared with us. Criterion will do them on Blu-ray I suspect, though god knows when."

John Shade

#3911 Post by John Shade » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 am

Has there ever been a suggestion that Buster Scruggs would get the Criterion treatment? It would seem like an option for obvious reasons, but I've never seen a rumor of it.

dwk

#3912 Post by dwk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 am

The only Buster Scruggs rumor I've seen is from DVD Talk reviewer Tyler Foster who said he heard the Coens weren't interested in doing special features for it.

FrauBlucher

#3913 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:41 pm

It just dawned on me we didn't get a Minkin roundup for Oct announcements :( I hope everything is OK

Ribs

#3914 Post by Ribs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 pm

movielocke wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:25 pm
Scorsese is really churning through his criterion to do list in this Covid era:

20/05/26 - Scorsese Shorts
20/09/29 - WCP 3
20/11/24 - Irishman
21/01/19 - Rolling Thunder

So since he's unlikely to start production anytime soon on new filming what other projects are likely to come out every 2-3. months? After Hours? WCP 4? Kundun? Tales of Hoffman?
I don't think it's a case of "he need something to do!" as much as just a bit of a coincidence, as clearly Irishman and Rolling Thunder Revue were happening in the near future regardless, and Scorsese Shorts being announced entirely pre-Pandemic also. I would say the most likely next title is New York, New York, which had a new restoration premiere at Metrograph in NY in January and I believe do a little tour before that kind of thing stopped.

Does anyone remember any Eclipse titles that have done proper Janus theatrical runs that indicate they might be in the mix for a BD now that there clearly isn't a barrier for a full spine? Rendez-vous d'Anna and Tokyo Twilight (whose main musical theme is used during The Irishman, coincidentally) both did, at least, but I'm struggling off hand to think if there's anything else. Obviously there are other titles with appeal but I think a Janus theatrical tour would be a good sign that Criterion is high on the movie as a standalone commodity in particular.

diamonds

#3915 Post by diamonds » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 pm
Tokyo Twilight (whose main musical theme is used during The Irishman, coincidentally)
Where was this? I heard the interpolation of the Grisbi theme but I missed the Ozu.

Ribs

#3916 Post by Ribs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm

I may have been mistaken, but I believe it’s a sequence around an hour in as he’s driving by and casing somewhere to burn or something like that. I saw the movie the second time very shortly after seeing the Ozu at Film Forum and thought it was the same theme.

jwd5275

#3917 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 pm
Does anyone remember any Eclipse titles that have done proper Janus theatrical runs that indicate they might be in the mix for a BD now that there clearly isn't a barrier for a full spine? Rendez-vous d'Anna and Tokyo Twilight (whose main musical theme is used during The Irishman, coincidentally) both did, at least, but I'm struggling off hand to think if there's anything else. Obviously there are other titles with appeal but I think a Janus theatrical tour would be a good sign that Criterion is high on the movie as a standalone commodity in particular.
There have been rumors of a Les Miserables upgrade ever since Kim Hendrickson mentioned it years ago. Actually was surprised it wasn't the first Eclipse upgrade.

movielocke

#3918 Post by movielocke » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:08 am

Les Miserables has been bandied about, as has Daisies. Those two most frequently. Equinox Flower is perhaps more likely than Tokyo Twilight since it has that wonderful Channel exclusive supplement last year.

Iirc didn’t Street of Shame also get a decent release somewhere recently? Might be another candidate (could be misremembering another mizoguchi)

the Ackerman is also a good guess, “je tu il el” is the one I’d want though.

Perhaps the steel helmet as well, depends on materials, i’d imagine.

The Kurosawas will obviously all be included when they do the kurasawa mega set (2021? 2022?) so they may be off the table for individual spines in the near future.

Jgh8xxx

#3919 Post by Jgh8xxx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Welp, I put in the work on this so suppose I should share it with the worth rather than selfishly hoard it. Below please find a link to a spreadsheet which lists all Criterion Eclipse titles that have released on Bluray, with English subtitles, somewhere in the world:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

justeleblanc

#3920 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 am

Your google list makes me think that it would be nice to know which directors will be receiving box sets in the near future. The Ozu titles, for instance. Knowing that there's a chance that Criterion would release an Essential/Complete Ozu box in the future makes me less likely to purchase any future Ozu release. Same with Fassbinder and Kaurismaki.

Bressonaire

#3921 Post by Bressonaire » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:48 pm

I just stumbled across this interview from last spring, and it made me wonder about Arthur. She’s present in the Criterion Collection in Only Angels Have Wings, but since Cox praises her as a comedienne (which he also did in an interview in The Guardian the following month), and since someone at Criterion thought her work was worth a festival on the Channel, I wonder whether one of her comedies could be in the pipeline—because we sure need more comedy now. Cox cites The More the Merrier and Easy Living as standouts. I’ve seen the latter, and it’s a terrific film, second only to my favorite screwball, Libeled Lady. Has anyone heard rumors?

https://deepestdream.com/brian-cox-disc ... sy-living/

therewillbeblus

#3922 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:03 pm

No, but you should seek out The More the Merrier immediately. It's definitely the kind of comedy we need, now and always

KJones77

#3923 Post by KJones77 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Per the Kino Insider on another site, Criterion has the rights for Gillo Pontecorvo's Burn! with Marlon Brando.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3924 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:50 pm

They have been squatting on the rights for well over a decade. I’m more surprised to hear they still have them

black&huge

#3925 Post by black&huge » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:23 am

yeah I remember as far back as 2008 they had plans to release it. I wonder why that is taking so long.