Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: Streaming Services

#151 Post by knives » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm

hanshotfirst1138 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:49 am
My new iPhone crops many, many 2.35 movies down fit the phone, and Apple have no answer for me as to why.

Apparently HBO MAX is STILL having a huge fight with Fire and Roku and hasn’t created an app for either yet. As usual, the consumer must suffer. I suppose I should be glad that it even works on Chromecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your first problem is trying to watch movies on a phone.

willoneill

#152 Post by willoneill » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:23 pm

hanshotfirst1138 wrote:
My new iPhone crops many, many 2.35 movies down fit the phone, and Apple have no answer for me as to why.
On all of my iphones (I think i'm on my 5th one now), if you double tap the screen, the video crops to fit the screen. Double tap again, it goes back to OAR. I assume you've tried that?

hanshotfirst1138

#153 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:30 pm

knives wrote:
hanshotfirst1138 wrote:

Apparently HBO MAX is STILL having a huge fight with Fire and Roku and hasn’t created an app for either yet. As usual, the consumer must suffer. I suppose I should be glad that it even works on Chromecast.

Your first problem is trying to watch movies on a phone.
I’m not trying to watch whole movies on it, but when your job makes you almost suicidally miserable, a few clips on your lunch break at work are nice.

hanshotfirst1138

Streaming Services

#154 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 am

I used to get HBO MAX through my father-in-law’s Comcast account, but apparently he signed up through Apple TV and now it won’t allow another login. This about as first-world a problem as you can get but it’s still annoying as hell.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#155 Post by ando » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:55 pm

I'm hooked on 70s crime/political thrillers and have seen several competent ones on APrime over the past week: Hennessy (1975, Sharp), The Parallax View (1974, Pakula), 3 Days of the Condor (1975, Pollack), Rogue Male (1976, Donner) and tonight, for the first time, The Boss (1973, Di Leo). The only reference I could find for the Di Leo film on the site was this:
Ovader wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 pm
RaroVideo US collects some of his finest work in The Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection, a four-DVD set that includes Di Leo's highly influential "Milieu Trilogy" - Caliber 9 (Milano Calibro 9), The Italian Connection (La Mala Ordina) and The Boss (Il Boss). The set's final disc includes 1976's Rulers of the City, which stars Jack Palance as a mob boss. All four films were digitally restored and remastered in collaboration with the Venice Film Festival. Each is presented with a number of extras, including a documentary about each film. The Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection will arrive on DVD February 22.
The set might be worth an investment. Gotta see The Boss turns out first.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#156 Post by ando » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:01 pm

18 selections from Renown Films currently streaming on APrime.

Lowry_Sam

#157 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:16 am

Just came across an ad online for Ovid TV & hadn't heard anything about it. Is anyone familiar with this service? Who is running it, quality of the streaming. I went to the website & noticed some overlap with Kanopy & perhaps Criterion. The website boasts connections to the Maylses Documentary Center, BFI, National Film Board of Canada, Oscilloscope, First Run Features. On browsing titles I see Marlon Riggs, Maya Deren, Chris Marker... Seems to be some overlap with Kanopy, not as much with Criterion. At the moment they have just over 900 titles, but it looks like Kanopy where there's not much turnover. Not sure it's worth $7 a month as I already have plenty to view between Criterion & Kanopy.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#158 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:20 am

Ovid was started by Docuseek, a streaming provider of documentaries for the educational market. The "founding content partners" are Icarus, First Run, Grasshopper, KimStim, Bullfrog Films, Distrib Films US, Women Make Movies, and dGenerate Films. Been meaning to check them out but haven't yet, so I can't say anything about the streaming quality.

Lowry_Sam

#159 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:03 pm

Recent Documentaries do seem to be the bulk of the content, however the ad I saw emphasized that it featured international films not easily available in the US & billed the channel as a more intelligent alternative to Netflix. I noticed a few international films: Camille Claudel, Ida, Mesrine pts 1 & 2, however many of these seemed to be also on Kanopy & not part of some rotation scheme like Criterion does, so it looked like I might only want to tune in for a month or 2, but that a year subscription wouldn't be worth it.

hanshotfirst1138

#160 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:10 am

ando wrote:I'm hooked on 70s crime/political thrillers and have seen several competent ones on APrime over the past week: Hennessy (1975, Sharp), The Parallax View (1974, Pakula), 3 Days of the Condor (1975, Pollack), Rogue Male (1976, Donner) and tonight, for the first time, The Boss (1973, Di Leo). The only reference I could find for the Di Leo film on the site was this:
Ovader wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 pm
RaroVideo US collects some of his finest work in The Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection, a four-DVD set that includes Di Leo's highly influential "Milieu Trilogy" - Caliber 9 (Milano Calibro 9), The Italian Connection (La Mala Ordina) and The Boss (Il Boss). The set's final disc includes 1976's Rulers of the City, which stars Jack Palance as a mob boss. All four films were digitally restored and remastered in collaboration with the Venice Film Festival. Each is presented with a number of extras, including a documentary about each film. The Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection will arrive on DVD February 22.
The set might be worth an investment. Gotta see The Boss turns out first.
There was a whole subgenre of Eurocrime movies which were much like Spaghetti Westerns. Is that the kind of thing he makes?

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#161 Post by ando » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 pm

PeacockTv has all 46 seasons of SNL streaming. To avoid the clunkers I suppose your approach is everything (and I'm not sure how long this free access will last). So I'm starting with Pryor as guest host eps and working my way down the comedian host food chain from there. (Made a false start with James Franco.)

Blutarsky

#162 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 pm

ando wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 pm
PeacockTv has all 46 seasons of SNL streaming.
I decided to start with the ‘86-‘87 season that introduced the likes of Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, and Jan Hooks to SNL. It was full of clunkers but every so often one sketch would save the entire episode.

Interesting side note of these PeacockTV SNL episodes. They decided to edit episodes down to 30 minutes in the case of early seasons. So there is that to look forward to.

paulm

#163 Post by paulm » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:46 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Interesting side note of these PeacockTV SNL episodes. They decided to edit episodes down to 30 minutes in the case of early seasons. So there is that to look forward to.
When they first were added to Peacock the other week, I eyeballed some episode lengths that I remembered (mainly for being cut especially short) and they matched from 7-8 years ago when what are probably the same edits were all on Netflix and Hulu (before disappearing to the failed Seeso for a while). So most, if not all, musical performances have been cut out along with any sketch that used licensed music. The first five seasons are mostly complete though, which matches the DVD releases of those seasons, so they must have cleared the music for streaming rights on those too.

hearthesilence

#164 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:11 am

paulm wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:46 pm
Blutarsky wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 pm

When they first were added to Peacock the other week, I eyeballed some episode lengths that I remembered (mainly for being cut especially short) and they matched from 7-8 years ago when what are probably the same edits were all on Netflix and Hulu (before disappearing to the failed Seeso for a while). So most, if not all, musical performances have been cut out along with any sketch that used licensed music. The first five seasons are mostly complete though, which matches the DVD releases of those seasons, so they must have cleared the music for streaming rights on those too.
That sucks. I binge-watched the '80s during a Hulu trial years ago (I skipped seasons 1-5 as I had already gone through the DVD sets), and I was disappointed by the cuts. FWIW, the first four seasons are still the best (though season 1 was essentially the Chevy Chase show, just as season 5 was nearly the Bill Murray show). 1980-1981 is fascinating towards the end when you watch the show rapidly crumble following Rocket's cursing. Eddie Murphy is ridiculously good, still their best cast member, and he carried the show with Piscopo as his able foil. The final Ebersol year is strange, with established stars taking over and saving most of their best work for filmed sketches (unusual at the time). Lorne Michaels's first season back is stunning for how awful most of it was despite an incredibly talented cast. (I think they have by far the most acting Oscar nominations to date with five.) The show was actually cancelled for like five minutes - NBC's president made the call, told his wife, and she told him it was a mistake because what else can you program at 11:30pm EST on Saturday? He immediately realized she was right. (It had been previously old re-runs of Carson who accidentally created an opening for SNL when he demanded that NBC stop re-running his show on Saturdays to free up episodes that can be re-broadcast during his many vacations.) The show got a second chance, and the new cast + 3 key holdovers probably has the best chemistry of any outside of the original. It says a lot that except for Hartman (who had the best success out of all of them outside of SNL), none of them ever equalled what they accomplished on the show. It's amazing just to see Dennis Miller work single-handedly and confidently as their best anchor.

Blutarsky

#165 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:31 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:11 am
It says a lot that except for Hartman (who had the best success out of all of them outside of SNL), none of them ever equalled what they accomplished on the show. It's amazing just to see Dennis Miller work single-handedly and confidently as their best anchor.
As a teenager, I was fortunate enough to grow up with Phil Hartman as Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz, as well as a smattering of other Simpsons characters (...Monorail?). When I got into college, my roommate had stacks of SNL episodes from the late 80s and early 90s. I can’t help but attribute them to why I took five years for my bachelor’s.
Of all those episodes, I distinctly remember sketches in which Phil was lead for being some of the funniest bits of television I have seen. Some of it is definitely dated, but others truly show why he went on to greater successes than others. His delivery and immersion into the material is beyond outstanding.

hearthesilence

#166 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:31 am
As a teenager, I was fortunate enough to grow up with Phil Hartman as Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz, as well as a smattering of other Simpsons characters (...Monorail?). When I got into college, my roommate had stacks of SNL episodes from the late 80s and early 90s. I can’t help but attribute them to why I took five years for my bachelor’s.
Of all those episodes, I distinctly remember sketches in which Phil was lead for being some of the funniest bits of television I have seen. Some of it is definitely dated, but others truly show why he went on to greater successes than others. His delivery and immersion into the material is beyond outstanding.
Absolutely. I think he was actually underrated at the start because Jon Lovitz and especially Dana Carvey had the flashiest, best known roles and became very popular very quickly. (Hartman had Reagan, and the Iran-Contra mastermind sketch is possibly the greatest SNL sketch of that run, but his impression didn't catch on like Carvey's Bush or his own Clinton - it's possible Reagan impressions were already done too often by 1986 to really catch on with the public.) It's pretty amazing to watch the first appearance of, say, Tommy Flanagan or the Church Lady win over the audience so thoroughly that they soon came back over and over again to immediate applause. Hartman didn't have anything like that, and it's easy to see why he nearly left after Lovitz, Hooks and others did - after five years, no cast member would have reasonably expected to become bigger. (Past cast members from the early '80s learned the hard way that Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo moving on didn't mean they'd get more opportunities - Ebersol just pulled a George Steinbrenner move and hired big stars from Spinal Tap and SCTV.) Apparently Michaels talked him into staying because he said it WOULD lift his profile, and with Bill Clinton happening in 1992, he was right.

Even before Clinton, you can see his full potential clearly with the benefit of hindsight, but the cast members knew and called him "the glue." He was so versatile and so comfortable in virtually anything, it's almost insulting to call him a "utility player" because he was so good in every role and not just useful. I put him with Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, Jan Hooks, Darrell Hammond, etc. in that way, but none of them could match him in small or throwaway roles - especially in later years, he'd find something absolutely hilarious to do. (My favorite was his brief role as a pseudo-scientist for a Cher infomercial, where his character ineptly mangles the word "environment.")

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#167 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm

beamish14

#168 Post by beamish14 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 pm

It's awful that 200+ core employees will be out of jobs, but my god was this company built on a horrible temperature reading
of the marketplace. Its launch was comically terrible, and none of the A-list creators' shows ever debuted. Meg Whitman is
utterly incompetent, and Katzenberg thinks he's an artist, but he has no creative vision whatsoever.

Murder House Flip just couldn't help them weather the rough times!

Red Screamer

#169 Post by Red Screamer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:16 am

Have no fear, Biden's team is vetting the CEO of Quibi for a potential cabinet position!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#170 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:04 pm

Okay, time for Grandpa Domino Harvey to once again ask for recommendations on good streaming programming from HBO Max now that AMEX cut me a sweet deal on membership

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#171 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:09 am

This is nothing I haven't said before, and it's only an HBO exclusive as opposed to a MAX exclusive (although there isn't any physical release of it...) but I should reiterate Euphoria is one of my favorite series/filmed works in some time and would make my early 2010s list if I could even remotely muster an argument for its eligibility.

therewillbeblus

#172 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 am

The Leftovers is my pick. After stumbling briefly to find its footing, it transformed into one of the most profound, broad, and inclusively mature takes on man's relationship with spirituality, and all in a concise 28 episode series. Also, apparently they have Moral Orel, which is something...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#173 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 am

I'll tell you the same thing I would tell any other grandpa: The Deuce is prime David Simon

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#174 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:56 am

Succession is the best thing on TV

Matt

#175 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:04 pm
Okay, time for Grandpa Domino Harvey to once again ask for recommendations on good streaming programming from HBO Max now that AMEX cut me a sweet deal on membership
There's a huge amount of Alan Partridge content (but no The Day Today, alas). Stath Lets Flats. I May Destroy You. The Flintstones (the original series).