News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4001 Post by Drucker » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:23 am

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:16 am
A big old LOL for the Fullers.
Seriously annoying. So the Forty Guns 4k and book remains exclusive to the box?

Ribs

#4002 Post by Ribs » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:45 pm

Didn’t Eureka expressly say when it was announced that the Forty Guns repress would be exclusive to the box? Did I make that up?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4003 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:08 pm

You didn't, they apparently said so on Facebook.

Also, The Painted Bird is Eureka but not MoC. The other non-MoC releases for December are a box of Universal's Inner Sanctum Mystery films and a reissue of the Once Upon a Time in China set.

Florinaldo

#4004 Post by Florinaldo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:01 pm

I am pleased that MoC did not wait too long before issuing single editions of the two Fuller titles that had not been issued previous to the "Fuller at Fox" set, now that it is out of print. For those who had bought the previous single releases of the 3 earlier titles, it felt like our being faithful customers to the company had been disregarded.

As for the 4k version of Forty Guns exclusive to the box set, it can be found on the Criterion edition along with the Fuller Life documentary.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4005 Post by tenia » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:48 am

Sure enough, the few people importing have this option but it remains region A locked and not a domestic release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4006 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:10 am

The only people asking about it in this thread are American

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4007 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:24 am

MoC doing this is the least surprising thing ever, the "Fuller at Fox" set is a lovely thing to have on your shelves, and it's not that much more expensive now on eBay. If you really want the box instead of the individual releases, then just buy it already

Florinaldo

#4008 Post by Florinaldo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:26 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:48 am
Sure enough, the few people importing have this option but it remains region A locked and not a domestic release.
I took it for granted that a number of people on this board have region-free capability, whether here in Canada or elsewhere this side of the Atlantic, or over in the UK and in Europe, Australasia, etc. and sometimes make purchases from across the ocean(s). I also assumed that most of the people here understand issues related to region-locking and are able to do their due dilligence and research before purchasing a product from outside their borders.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4009 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:25 pm

I understand it and it's a fair point, but I would assume most people following MoC's output are UK-based and Region-B locked, though this board might not be representative of this general audience. ;)

Finch

#4010 Post by Finch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Reissues of Keaton Vol 2 and The African Queen at MoC, and a new release in Richard Fleischer's The Don Is Dead in the Eureka line in January.

MichaelB

#4011 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:20 am
I wonder what extra's The Painted Bird will have. The Czech disc has a second disc with a 'making of' which includes English subtitles. If MoC can come up with different extras I might double-dip.
It's a single-discer containing the main feature and the documentary - although filesizes have been sensibly apportioned, with the main feature 40 gigs plus and the documentary less than five. Since the main feature is in black-and-white 2.35:1 (i.e. with thick black bars taking up a fair chunk of the image), 40 gigs and a 32.5mbps average bitrate seems perfectly adequate, even for a nearly three-hour running time. And quick spot checks suggest that it looks fabulous.

Obviously, the filesize and bitrate of the documentary are much lower, but I dipped into that too and it looks perfectly watchable - it's clearly shot on digital video so can withstand more compression anyway.

L.A.

#4012 Post by L.A. » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:26 pm

Due to mysterious dark forces at work, the release date of INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES has unfortunately been pushed back until 18 January 2021.

We apologise for any disappointment this may cause, but we promise it will definitely be worth the wait!

What A Disgrace

#4013 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 pm

February and March releases being announced tomorrow. Anyone got a whiff of Amazon leaks yet?

Apperson

#4014 Post by Apperson » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:18 am

Eureka February/March announcements:

Breeder (2020) 15th February
The Last Warning (Masters of Cinema) 15th February

Mindwarp 22nd February
Pulse (1988) 22nd February

Nightwing & Shadow of the Hawk 15th March
Viy (Masters of Cinema) 15th March

The Lucky Stars 3-Film Collection 22nd March

Ribs

#4015 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:40 am

Gotta wonder if we’ll ever see a slipless MoC release again - just seems like they’ve really leaned into it so hard and these releases will have marked over two thirds of a year of releases with slips.

These announcements are awesome as per usual - I don’t really care for the Horror fare but the two MoC releases seem completely essential and Lucky Stars is one of those we-knew-had-to-happen things with how 88 and Eureka have tackled the Jackie releases. Very cool!

L.A.

#4016 Post by L.A. » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 pm

The Last Warning and Viy for me. Glad I didn’t get Flicker Alley’s of the former, I have Severin’s slipcase edition of the latter (which has exclusive extras) but I’ll double-dip because of the bonus film on the second disc.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4017 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:29 pm

Already have Last Warning from Flicker Alley so will pass, but the restoration is superb and looks even better than Man Who Laughs.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4018 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:00 pm

Those first three My Lucky Stars films are an absolute joy. It’s Sammo Hung at his most plotless sort of just trying to find threads between comedy scenes featuring one of my favorites, Richard Ng, and these incredible set pieces that feature Jackie Chan in peak physical form. Lots of interesting actors and performers pop up too including director Ann Hui as an employee at a fast food restaurant. Very happy to see Eureka continuing their incredible streak of Hong Kong cinema releases.

What A Disgrace

#4019 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:04 pm

The release of VIY sounds like a dream, and even though I bought the US disc of Last Warning, I'll double dip on it for the commentary.

Finch

#4020 Post by Finch » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:16 am

The reviews that I found of the bonus film for the Viy disc weren't great so as far as I can tell, the only thing that the MoC gains on top of that second film is Michael's commentary and the booklet. The shorts were already on the Severin disc. I'll wait for the standard edition of Viy or get the Severin during a sale, whichever works out cheaper.

I'm going to try find a link to the three Lucky Stars films before I commit myself to buying the set.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the subtitles on the last few HK releases? I've heard some people were pretty unhappy with the subs on those.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4021 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 am

Finch wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:16 am
Can anyone comment on the quality of the subtitles on the last few HK releases? I've heard some people were pretty unhappy with the subs on those.
I happened to see Wheels on Meals a few months ago with a native Cantonese speaker who was surprised at how accurate the translation was and how clever the translation was for language specific gags.

dwk

#4022 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 am

Finch wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:16 am
I'm going to try find a link to the three Lucky Stars films before I commit myself to buying the set.
If you have access to it, the 2nd film (My Lucky Stars) is on the Criterion Channel.

Finch

#4023 Post by Finch » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:37 pm

Thank you both!

What A Disgrace

#4024 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 am

April announcements, and a late March announcement, are coming tomorrow.

L.A.

#4025 Post by L.A. » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:06 pm

Apperson wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:18 am
Mindwarp 22nd February
Beaver.