News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3951 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:26 pm

smccolgan wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:17 pm
I guess there is a chance we can get an early announcement this week for the World of WKW box. It would be a nice if it was in time for February flash sale
any basis for that?
All the other boxes announced this year have had their own announcement day prior to the regular monthly announcements

smccolgan

#3952 Post by smccolgan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:22 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:26 pm
smccolgan wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:17 pm
I guess there is a chance we can get an early announcement this week for the World of WKW box. It would be a nice if it was in time for February flash sale
any basis for that?
All the other boxes announced this year have had their own announcement day prior to the regular monthly announcements
sure, but what makes us think this'll be the month? I feel like this might have been tied to the restorations airing in cinemas, so.. I could see this being on hold.

justeleblanc

#3953 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:15 pm

February Titles have already been announced. Did anyone have Joyce Chopra or Ramin Bahrani on their radar?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#3954 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:22 pm

The Chopra just got a release by Janus. The real surprise for me is The Parallax View - my God, were there any hints about the release of that film? Guess we know now if they got any more Pakulas.

Bressonaire

#3955 Post by Bressonaire » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Therewillbeblus just recently mentioned that Criterion was working on The Parallax View.

Luke M

#3956 Post by Luke M » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Didn't even have time to guess this month!

Bressonaire

#3957 Post by Bressonaire » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Minkin gets a month off!

Boosmahn

#3958 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:34 pm

I was going to put Smooth Talk on my predictions list, but I didn't even have a chance to!

HernandoBiggies

#3959 Post by HernandoBiggies » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:22 pm
The Chopra just got a release by Janus. The real surprise for me is The Parallax View - my God, were there any hints about the release of that film? Guess we know now if they got any more Pakulas.
Alex Cox announced he recorded a special feature a few weeks ago I believe.

therewillbeblus

#3960 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:59 pm

Yeah it's been known for a short while, and a handful of people guessed it last month. I think I posted somewhere in response to the news that this gives me hope for Criterion issuing Pakula's other Paramount-held masterpiece Starting Over, so I'll bang that drum again.

Esterhazy

#3961 Post by Esterhazy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:05 am

It appears Ikarie XB-1 will be coming to the Film Forum courtesy of Janus Films.
https://filmforum.org/film/ikarie-xb-1-virtual-cinema

Separately, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding a possible Criterion release of The Chess Game of the Wind by Mohammad Reza Aslani. A wonderful film restored by the WCP.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Mogielnickisa1

#3962 Post by Mogielnickisa1 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:52 pm

If anyone loves Marcel Pagnol's films, I have some news. Per Nicholas Pagnol (Marcel's grandson), Jofroi has been restored (maybe Criterion has it?) and Criterion has the rights to Topaze (1936 version I think, maybe the 1951 version....Marcel directed two versions of his play.....I'm willing to bet the 1936 version is the one that Criterion has).

FrauBlucher

#3963 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:00 am

I do hope Criterion gives us some sort of preview for 2021.

therewillbeblus

#3964 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:56 am

That’s a good point, with the lack of newsletter clues I’m not so sure. For years waking up to that New Years Drawing was like Christmas all over again as an adult, rising from my slumber on the 1st to piece together some puzzles. This year’s was like getting coal, but I’d rather get coal than nothing.

yoloswegmaster

#3965 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:12 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:56 am
That’s a good point, with the lack of newsletter clues I’m not so sure. For years waking up to that New Years Drawing was like Christmas all over again as an adult, rising from my slumber on the 1st to piece together some puzzles. This year’s was like getting coal, but I’d rather get coal than nothing.
Don't know if I would compare this year's drawing to coal, as I was excited to learn that Criterion was going to be releasing a Bruce Lee boxset. On that note, I do hope that Criterion will release more Hong Kong titles (aside from the WKW titles).

therewillbeblus

#3966 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:00 am

My analogy was about the excitement of the puzzle or the process, not the releases themselves as presents, so an easy puzzle would be a dud gift. Insert your personalized version of that for coal, if you want.

FrauBlucher

#3967 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 pm

Maybe something like a crossword puzzle full of clues on New Years Day. :|

yoloswegmaster

#3968 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:00 pm

No idea where to post this but Ashley Clark is now working for Criterion in the role of "Curational Director"

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3969 Post by soundchaser » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Oh, that's...a little weird. I mean, I respect Clark and his work a lot, but I wonder if any of the individual producers feel like that position might be stepping on their toes?

Wigs by Leonard

#3970 Post by Wigs by Leonard » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm

His website mentions that he served as "consulting producer" on last year's Do the Right Thing upgrade. Not being glib here - what would that role entail, and how would it differ from what Criterion's on-staff team of curators and producers would do (is that kind of freelance producing common)? I presume it was some combination of producing the new short documentary, scouting for more supplements, commissioning the Vinson Cunningham essay and editing Lee's journals.

Since he's programmed Afrofuturism series for BAM and BFI Southbank, I wouldn't be surprised if he curated at least in part the current spotlight on the Criterion Channel, and is probably heavily involved in the eventual/probable release of Welcome II the Terrordome.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3971 Post by Drucker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:52 pm

Wigs by Leonard wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm
His website mentions that he served as "consulting producer" on last year's Do the Right Thing upgrade. Not being glib here - what would that role entail, and how would it differ from what Criterion's on-staff team of curators and producers would do (is that kind of freelance producing common)? I presume it was some combination of producing the new short documentary, scouting for more supplements, commissioning the Vinson Cunningham essay and editing Lee's journals.

Since he's programmed Afrofuturism series for BAM and BFI Southbank, I wouldn't be surprised if he curated at least in part the current spotlight on the Criterion Channel, and is probably heavily involved in the eventual/probable release of Welcome II the Terrordome.
The current spotlight is effectively a re-appropriation of the film series he programmed at BAM in 2015.

Vincejansenist

#3972 Post by Vincejansenist » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:38 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:00 pm
No idea where to post this but Ashley Clark is now working for Criterion in the role of "Curational Director"
Absolute tragedy what happened to George Floyd but looks like someone was able to spin it to their advantage and secure the bag.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3973 Post by Drucker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:45 am

Vincejansenist wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:38 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Absolute tragedy what happened to George Floyd but looks like someone was able to spin it to their advantage and secure the bag.
Pretty shitty thing to say! I've been going to repertory screenings in NYC for nearly a decade, and merely as an audience member I was familiar with Clark. He was leading programming at BAM already, and based on his Twitter presence is clearly well-known in NYC film circles. He has a well-deserved reputation.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3974 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 am

Vincejansenist wrote:
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Feel free to carry on posting such blazing hot takes on Film Parler or wherever, but this garbage isn’t welcome here.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3975 Post by soundchaser » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Vincejansenist wrote:
yoloswegmaster wrote:
What an awful, awful take. I think it's a weird position to exist at all, but it's clear Criterion would have been the ones to institute it and reach out to Clark, not the other way around. (And he's obviously more than qualified.)