Criterion Collection Store

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
stevewhamola

Re: Criterion Collection Store

#1201 Post by stevewhamola » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:28 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:11 pm
If you ordered 2 items like I did from their site, you would have yo pay $8 for untracked shipping. Also, did they implement the free shipping for order over $100 recently? I placed an order during the July sale that was $150+ and I got charged $11 for shipping.
Yes the $100 free-shipping threshold is new. It used to be $150 and the extra $11 that applied to large parcels I believe was due to Canada Post/COVID and thus beyond their control.

willoneill

#1202 Post by willoneill » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:42 pm

stevewhamola wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:28 pm
Yes the $100 free-shipping threshold is new. It used to be $150 and the extra $11 that applied to large parcels I believe was due to Canada Post/COVID and thus beyond their control.
The $11 is indeed applied for any boxset, no matter how large the order is. But I wouldn't let UV off and say it's beyond their control; they could choose to absorb it like any other shipping cost (above a reasonable spending threshold), but they don't. They're not competitive on price, speed, or ease of use, so I don't bother with them.

stevewhamola

#1203 Post by stevewhamola » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:52 pm

No option is perfect for Canadians, so it’s a pick your poison dilemma. I’m surely not the only one who’s placed a 30 item order at B&N only to cringe when whey ship 1 or 2 items at a time, thus multiplying your chances of getting ding’d by customs. And paying $40-50 MSRP on Amazon.ca is unthinkable.

black&huge

#1204 Post by black&huge » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:23 am

and my third/small order got updated earlier tonight with a delivery estimate of Monday via USPS. I thought UPS was supposed to be quicker since that's the shipping option that isn't free? but I'm not complaining should all go well I have the 4 separate titles coming on Monday then the two big boxsets on wednesday. Nice little delivery sandwich with nothing in between

Chull

#1205 Post by Chull » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:34 am

Re: fellow Canadians.

I placed 2 orders, both for around US$120 before credits/coupons (I've found over the years that this has been a pretty decent threshold for not getting charged duty, though it doesn't always work.) Of course it being via DHL I just paid C$26/$42 in duty (I'm guessing the fact that I had a $50 credit on the first order vs, $10 on the second explains the discrepancy.) Based on the breakdown of the costs on the DHL invoices, the current exchange rate, a NS sales tax of 15%, and taking the CC store points into consideration I calculate that I would have to order 9 regular discs during the CC store sale to get below the cost of ordering from UV during their 40% off sale. Box sets would probably fare better given UV's added charge. In the future I will probably go this route as I find UV brutal to deal with. I've probably placed at least a dozen orders with them in the past year and very few of them shipped within a few days and without problems (I've had wrong titles, wrong formats, completely unwrapped discs and the most bizarre - a blu-ray copy of Band of Outsiders in a dvd case. As well as waiting months for items and in one case - a forgotten item that I had to e-mail about.) I also find their website terrible and one has to be very careful about what they put in their cart because the images for their discs can be misleading (e.g. larger size for blu or blu images for DVDs) It doesn't help that once they're in your cart, they don't indicate which format they're in. Then there was the complete meltdown of their site during the past sale. It's too bad. Of course, as stevewhamola says above - no option is perfect, and I will undoubtedly order from them on other occasions. I just wish they could get it together.

Ovader

#1206 Post by Ovader » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:54 am

I have The Complete Jacques Tati, Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema, Carlos, and The Battle of Algiers for a total of US$275.38 scheduled to arrive Oct 29. I did some number crunching and found ordering from the Criterion Store a better deal than dealing with UV to ship to my Canadian residence. Whether I will still feel that way once I get charged for duty remains to be seen. Surprisingly I wasn't charged for customs when I received my KINO order from August totalling US$245.77 but I suspect that will not be the case for the Criterion order.

FrauBlucher

#1207 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Persona is listed as Currently unavailable. I wonder if this means they will be ending the dual format packaging for this

black&huge

#1208 Post by black&huge » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:37 pm

I got my small order today of the four individual titles: Night of the Living Dead, The Gunfighter, F for Fake and Two Lane Blacktop.

So I'm seeing if anyone else had this weird thing happen to them:

the latter 3 all seemed they were newly pressed. Gunfighter obviously but F for Fake and Two Lane both of the shrinkwrap on them felt as new as the Gunfighter's. Well I open all three up and for F and Two Lane there are tiny white debris specs on the discs. I at first though these were possible returns/rewraps but they had that unmistakable newly pressed smell all over the packaging and discs. I also noticed these white debris specs littered in the scanavo cases themselves in the bottom corner so... I have no idea maybe just a rush to get more copies out and the pressing plant got a little messy?

As for The Gunfighter for the newest release and on the day of the sale there is an unmistakable fingerprint smear on the info side which begs me to ask is there any step in the disc pressing process where discs themselves are handled by... hand? because this is weird.

fdm

#1209 Post by fdm » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:56 pm

White debris specs are probably from the leaflet. Assembled by hand most likely. You didn't mention the blue stickers...

That said, I just opened mine and no white debris specs, no fingerprints, and blue sticker was on the cellophane. Ooh, that smell.

yoloswegmaster

#1210 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:03 am

Barnes and Noble won't be shipping to Canada and Australia for the month-long sale.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1211 Post by soundchaser » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Everything in the Criterion store, including pre-orders, is 30% off MSRP until the 23rd. (Although they appear to have removed all the posters from the Gift Shop section.)

Bobby Peru

Re: Criterion Laserdiscs

#1212 Post by Bobby Peru » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Apologies if this isn’t the proper thread for this particular question; I’m sure it isn’t.

I did a search and couldn’t find anything related.

Has anyone here ever bought one of the Criterion t-shirts or the long sleeve shirts? I’m thinking about the ones with the plain C.

If so, how’s the quality—fit, material shrinkage etc? I’m 6’1”...180 lbs. Will a large work?

If there’s another thread more suitable for this subject, please let me know and I will seek it out.

...thank you.

FrauBlucher

#1213 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:48 pm

The flash sale watch has started. Possibly tomorrow?! [-o<

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1214 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Wait really, again? Already?

fdm

#1215 Post by fdm » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:12 pm

I was thinking maybe some gift certificates would show up first.

Ribs

#1216 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:55 pm

I think it would be next week at the earliest. Seeing as there’s not an obvious big movie to tie it to I think just wanting to include the month’s releases seems like the obvious move.

FrauBlucher

#1217 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pm

I was just speculating from dates of previous February sales

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1218 Post by soundchaser » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:21 pm

$10 code just landed in my inbox. Sale’s next Tuesday, if precedent holds.

fdm

#1219 Post by fdm » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:01 pm

This time, so far anyway, only got one (for being Channel subscriber).

TheKieslowskiHaze

#1220 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:15 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:21 pm
$10 code just landed in my inbox. Sale’s next Tuesday, if precedent holds.
Tomorrow? Any rumblings about whether this is or is not happening?

I got my second dose of the Moderna vaccine today. A sale tomorrow would be a nice little way to celebrate (if I'm not lost in a fever dream).

therewillbeblus

#1221 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm

The precedent is that channel subscribers receive a $10 code one week prior to the sale, so we will know at 12pm tomorrow, but yes it is likely.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1222 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm

Alright, the sale is definitely happening, I just got an email. As a reminder, this is a great time to send a message and buy the standalone of In the Mood for Love instead of the upcoming WKW box

Morbii

#1223 Post by Morbii » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:53 pm

Ooh, I’m finally on the list of people that get an email.

therewillbeblus

#1224 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 pm

I'm still not. Criterion is not in the mood to love me

hearthesilence

#1225 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:22 pm

It seems dependent on how much you spent during the last sale. The one time I spent light - like just enough to get free shipping - I didn't get a heads up, but when I've spent well over $100 (after the discount and before taxes), I've always gotten the email the next time around. I only buy during flash sales, so I don't know if spending a lot on other days makes a difference.