Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
hearthesilence

Re: Kino

#3251 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:18 pm

It was mentioned upthread that the French BD of We Won't Grow Old Together is a better deal at half the price, and also mentioned that Kino should have ported over the 2+ hours of unsubbed extras. Frustrating they didn't, but Kino had this for $9.99 during a recent sale (and I guess it'll be $9.99 in their frequent sales going forward), so time has righted things a bit. In terms of detail, grain, etc. it's a great looking transfer, but once again the color is irritating thanks to whatever aqua/teal hue they've applied to the whole thing. It's not as bad as, say, Je t'aime, je t'aime's new color which thoroughly ruined it for me, but it's still very apparent.

EDIT: I just looked at the screencaps for that French BD from Gaumont, and I'm guessing the same master was used? I actually wound up seeing this several times when The Film Desk revived it and screened it in 35mm at BAM (as well as Anthology Film Archives), so I'm really glad I caught those screenings, but it's still frustrating that the home viewing releases have been compromised like this.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3252 Post by Drucker » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Another good Kino sale currently on. Ton of titles that weren't on sale the other week.

therewillbeblus

#3253 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Drucker wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:14 pm
Another good Kino sale currently on. Ton of titles that weren't on sale the other week.
A great opportunity for folks to grab their Godards who don't already have them. Has anyone seen The Grey Fox? A friend was raving about it the other day and I've never heard of it, but it'll put me to free shipping with a blind-buy so I figured I'd put feelers out here

hearthesilence

#3254 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm

Drucker wrote:
When are they NOT having a sale? Seriously, it's like as soon as one ends, a new one starts a few days later. Labor Day, Halloween/Shocktober, Thanksgiving or early Black Friday, and now the "winter" sale. Granted stuff gets added, but a lot of the same core titles are perpetually on sale.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3255 Post by Drucker » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:18 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm
Drucker wrote:
When are they NOT having a sale? Seriously, it's like as soon as one ends, a new one starts a few days later. Labor Day, Halloween/Shocktober, Thanksgiving or early Black Friday, and now the "winter" sale. Granted stuff gets added, but a lot of the same core titles are perpetually on sale.
I foolishly bought a few discs from them a few weeks ago and everything I'm buying this time around wasn't on sale then. Tartuffe and Love Of Jeanny-Nay are both 9.99. As is The Southerner.

hearthesilence

#3256 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:26 pm

Drucker wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:18 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm
Drucker wrote:
I foolishly bought a few discs from them a few weeks ago and everything I'm buying this time around wasn't on sale then. Tartuffe and Love Of Jeanny-Nay are both 9.99. As is The Southerner.
I kind of went through the same thing on my last Kino purchase, but what happened was I bought some newly released titles from Deep Discount, as they were having a sale. Then a few weeks later, the same titles were even cheaper on Kino, and I think Kino may still have them at the same discounted price. (It was Love Me Tonight, Five Graves to Cairo, and I think one or two others.)

Gregory

#3257 Post by Gregory » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:35 pm

I've not looked at any recent Kino sales, but this one seems like a good time to pick up their Hitchcock releases: the British International Pictures Collection for $20 plus Blackmail and Murder! for $11 each.
Also, the Tod Browning release comprising Drifting and White Tiger is a pretty great deal at $12, especially considering it hasn't even been out two months!

Telstar

#3258 Post by Telstar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:45 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:59 pm
I almost feel as though the Jewish Soul set deserves its own thread, but in any case, folks should find this podcast with one of the compilers, Yiddish actor Allen Lewis Rickman, extremely interesting:

https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic. ... e58c9f432e
Working my way slowly through this set and finding it basically very satisfying, with a few major bumps. Surprisingly, the J. Hoberman commentary on The Dybbuk is one of the biggest bumps: infuriatingly sparse and superficial, both in terms of the filmic and cultural aspects, with perhaps a sentence or maybe two delivered every 5-10 minutes and zero analysis of the film. It's like he'd never written a review or heard a commentary track before.

L.A.

#3259 Post by L.A. » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:40 pm

Coming to Blu-ray February 16th from Kino Classics and the BFI!

Man with a Movie Camera (1929)
Directed by Dziga Vertov

One of the most innovative and influential films of the silent era, Dziga Vertov’s Man With A Movie Camera utilizes rapid editing and innumerable other cinematic effects to create a work of amazing modernity and power. This dawn-to-dusk view of urban Soviet life shows people at work, at play, and at the machines that endlessly whirl to keep the metropolis alive. It was Vertov’s first full-length film, and it employs all the cinematic techniques at the director’s disposal—dissolves, split-screens, slow-motion, and freeze-frames—to produce a work that is as exhilarating as it is intellectually brilliant. Restored by the British Film Institute, this edition features an orchestral score composed and conducted by Michael Nyman (The Piano), first performed on May 17, 2002 at London’s Royal Festival Hall.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Adrian Martin
*The Life and Times of Dziga Vertov: An Interview with Ian Christie (46 Min.)
*Dziga Vertov: Non-Fiction Film Thing, a video essay by David Cairns (20 Min.)

kekid

#3260 Post by kekid » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Kino are also releasing "Jazz on a Summer's Day" on Blu Ray in February.

rockysds

#3261 Post by rockysds » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:32 am

Their also releasing Helmut Käutner's superb Grosse Freiheit Nr. 7 (Port of Freedom) on blu-ray in February.

wattsup32

#3262 Post by wattsup32 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:08 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:40 pm
Coming to Blu-ray February 16th from Kino Classics and the BFI!

Man with a Movie Camera (1929)
Directed by Dziga Vertov

One of the most innovative and influential films of the silent era, Dziga Vertov’s Man With A Movie Camera utilizes rapid editing and innumerable other cinematic effects to create a work of amazing modernity and power. This dawn-to-dusk view of urban Soviet life shows people at work, at play, and at the machines that endlessly whirl to keep the metropolis alive. It was Vertov’s first full-length film, and it employs all the cinematic techniques at the director’s disposal—dissolves, split-screens, slow-motion, and freeze-frames—to produce a work that is as exhilarating as it is intellectually brilliant. Restored by the British Film Institute, this edition features an orchestral score composed and conducted by Michael Nyman (The Piano), first performed on May 17, 2002 at London’s Royal Festival Hall.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Adrian Martin
*The Life and Times of Dziga Vertov: An Interview with Ian Christie (46 Min.)
*Dziga Vertov: Non-Fiction Film Thing, a video essay by David Cairns (20 Min.)
Does anyone know of a compelling reason to buy this instead of Flicker Alley's release which contains a couple other of his Vertov's films. From what I've read, the restoration and transfer for Flicker Alley is very nice.

Feego

#3263 Post by Feego » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:39 pm

The Flicker Alley release is loaded with visible compression artifacts, and the music on that edition is not well-synced to the film. The best edition to get, if you have region-free capabilities, is the MoC edition. It has the same restoration and score (by Alloy Orchestra) as the Flicker Alley, but without the bad compression and the music is in sync. The MoC also has the additional films that are on the Flicker Alley PLUS the bonus features that are going to be on this Kino edition. The only thing the Kino has going for it is the Michael Nyman score, though I can't say I'm too fond of it.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3264 Post by soundchaser » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:40 pm

I really can't imagine watching it without the Alloy Orchestra score, so I'd also recommend the MoC edition if you're region-free.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3265 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:43 pm

I'd recommend supplementing the MoC release with the BFI, which gives you the option of the Nyman score plus even more Vertov films. And then the Edition Filmmuseum Vertov releases are all worth getting as well, for more films and viewing options.

By the way, these other extras are all on the MoC

FlickeringWindow

#3266 Post by FlickeringWindow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:18 pm

Feego wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:39 pm
The Flicker Alley release is loaded with visible compression artifacts, and the music on that edition is not well-synced to the film. The best edition to get, if you have region-free capabilities, is the MoC edition. It has the same restoration and score (by Alloy Orchestra) as the Flicker Alley, but without the bad compression and the music is in sync. The MoC also has the additional films that are on the Flicker Alley PLUS the bonus features that are going to be on this Kino edition. The only thing the Kino has going for it is the Michael Nyman score, though I can't say I'm too fond of it.
Yeah, the Kino disc seems geared towards those who only have the Flicker Alley/Lobster Films disc. While it's long OOP, the limited edition MoC release is flat-out amazing between the thick booklet and the day-and-night difference in encoding quality. (Note: It's not really Flicker Alley's fault - like some of the other Lobster Films releases, they just used their disc image without any changes)

What A Disgrace

#3267 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:39 pm

Its almost criminal that the BFI release of Man With a Movie Camera got overlooked, because it has one of the finest of all Soviet silents as a supplement. Its not likely that One Sixth of the Globe is getting its own release any time soon.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3268 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm

That's actually one of the Edition Filmmuseum releases, where it's paired with the excellent Eleventh Year

wattsup32

#3269 Post by wattsup32 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks to each of you. I am region-free, so MoC and BFI it is. Thanks again!

htdm

#3270 Post by htdm » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 am

Regarding the "One Sixth of the World" version included on the BFI disc, does anyone know what exactly the "ETV-version" is?

RobertB

#3271 Post by RobertB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:01 am

The problem with the BFI (and Kino) release of Man with a Movie Camera is surely Michael Nyman's score. I usually like his music, but found it overshadowing the film. I often found it irritating! I wouldn't recommend a release that has that as the only music option. Last time I watched the film I used the MoC disc for video and stretched the Bisophere soundtrack to make it almost synch up.

yoshimori

#3272 Post by yoshimori » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:30 pm

RobertB wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:01 am
The problem with the BFI (and Kino) release of Man with a Movie Camera is surely Michael Nyman's score.
To each, his or her own. I bought the BFI, despite owning the MoC, specifically because I prefer the Nyman score. It feels, for me, a perfect match for the freneticism of the film and the mechanism of its age.

RobertB

#3273 Post by RobertB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Indeed! It is very frenetic, and if you feel it fits, that is the one to get! But the release would have been harder to overlook if it wasn't relying on such a very distinct score as the only option. I only have the BFI on DVD and went for the MoC for blu ray.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3274 Post by tenia » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:40 pm

FlickeringWindow wrote:Note: It's not really Flicker Alley's fault - like some of the other Lobster Films releases, they just used their disc image without any changes.
Lobster does a good job on their restorations, but yeah, their BDs are often compression nightmares. Their Charley Bowers, Vertov and Max Linder encodes are godawful, almost turning Youtube-like on any dark flat area (which can be numerous considering the movies they're restoring but also the one slight issue they have in restoration : elevated black levels).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3275 Post by Drucker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Quick q: what's the best way to browse for titles on the Kino site? I generally love everything they put out under the Library of Congress and FWMS Banner, but there are some releases in those lines I just noticed on Amazon but had not realized it had been released. (like a Pabst film from 1943). It seems their German silents are to be found in the same place all their "World Cinema" is, which is unfortunate. Is there a better way to browse the site?