Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
knives

Re: Cinema Guild

#751 Post by knives » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:03 pm

That’s a bit of a relief. My package was rather small, just one disc, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it got lost in the shuffle.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#752 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:36 pm

RobertB wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:21 pm
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 pm
My copy of Still Life arrived today and to me it looks like a factory pressed disc. How can I confirm it's a BD-R?
Does it have the BD logo? It is not legal to use the logo on a burnt disc. I hope some screenshots will be up soon. I have the old BFI DVD. If this an improvement I will get it even if it is burnt.
It does have the BD logo on both the disc and on the case. Like I said, I've dealt with many BD-Rs in my life and this looks completely factory pressed. Can anyone confirm the copies from Amazon are different? I ordered mine from Cinema Guild.
whaleallright wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:22 am
I remember the 35mm prints New Yorker created to distribute Still Life, back in 2011 or whatever, looking horrible. I'm not technically savvy enough to understand the details—I'm guessing it's a frame-rate issue—but clearly the digital-to-film transfer was botched, such that every panning shot in particular was an unbearable blur. I can't imagine this Blu-Ray looks any worse!!
They probably had to do some sort of frame blending in order to transfer the native 1080/50i to the 24fps of a 35mm print. I've seen a few film shots digitally that were transferred to film and they all look quite good, but those were either 23.97fps contemporary digital video or 29.97 video/tape from the early 2000s. With the unusual frame rate for Still Life, I can easily imagine it looking like a blurry mess on film. That said, the Blu-ray is closer to the original frame rate (being presented at 29.97fps) and looks to be HD, but due to the types of cameras used, it's not ultra-clear, contemporary HD and there's a hair of ghosting due to the necessary frame rate conversion. But nothing I would describe as a crippling viewing experience. I think it looks quite good, though it was a shock at first as it's been a while since I've seen a digital film like this, because even the miniDV works of someone like Pedro Costa don't look quite like this due to the difference in equipment.

I am glad The Fanciful Norwegian chimed in with a bit of the technical info including the connection to Dong. It's also worth noting that in both Mountains May Depart and Ash is the Purest White, Jia uses B-roll from both Unknown Pleasures and Still Life that are quite jarring as the frame rates and resolution are completely different than what's seen with the contemporary shot footage.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#753 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:09 pm

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:36 pm
They probably had to do some sort of frame blending in order to transfer the native 1080/50i to the 24fps of a 35mm print. I've seen a few film shots digitally that were transferred to film and they all look quite good, but those were either 23.97fps contemporary digital video or 29.97 video/tape from the early 2000s. With the unusual frame rate for Still Life, I can easily imagine it looking like a blurry mess on film.
In the days before progressive scan, it was common—preferable, even—for movies shot on video for 35mm release to be shot at 50i. With 50i you just needed to deinterlace to 25p and then output the results, which was significantly simpler than the inverse 3:2 pulldown process needed to convert 60i to 24fps. The downside of shooting at 50i was that the film would become 4% slower when projected at 24fps, but that was considered an acceptable price to pay. (You also have cases like The World or von Trier movies where the films were shot at 25p to maintain compatibility with other equipment in the production and post-production chain, even though the cameras were capable of 24p.) I don't have any memories of how Still Life looked in 35mm, but from the way it's described here it sounds like they didn't do a good job of deinterlacing the 50i footage before doing the film-out.

mikeyzjames

#754 Post by mikeyzjames » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 pm

RobertB wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 pm
My copy of Still Life arrived today and to me it looks like a factory pressed disc. How can I confirm it's a BD-R?
Does it have the BD logo? It is not legal to use the logo on a burnt disc. I hope some screenshots will be up soon. I have the old BFI DVD. If this an improvement I will get it even if it is burnt.
It does have the BD logo on both the disc and on the case. Like I said, I've dealt with many BD-Rs in my life and this looks completely factory pressed. Can anyone confirm the copies from Amazon are different? I ordered mine from Cinema Guild.

FWIW, I ordered through Cinema Guild and my PS4 reads it as a BD-R. I've also never seen a blu-ray disc you can straight-up look through like this one. Looked good on screen though.

Adam X

#755 Post by Adam X » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:25 pm

The opacity of a disc is down to whether there’s a label printed on the non-readable side of a disc. Nothing to do with the format.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#756 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:33 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:13 pm
Has anyone picked up the new DVD version of The Hole? I'm curious as to whether it's enough of an improvement on the old Fox Lorber DVD to make it worth picking up (though it's hard to imagine it could be worse).
My Cinema Guild order just came in, and I am pleased to report that this film now has an anamorphic widescreen DVD! Generally, from sampling, I would describe the PQ as not stellar, but appreciably better than the Fox Lorber

barbarella satyricon

#757 Post by barbarella satyricon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:44 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:33 pm
My Cinema Guild order just came in, and I am pleased to report that this film now has an anamorphic widescreen DVD! Generally, from sampling, I would describe the PQ as not stellar, but appreciably better than the Fox Lorber
Would it be safe to assume that the subs are removable / optional? I recall that the dvd of Rebels of the Neon God had either forced or burnt-in subtitles.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#758 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Subs are optional. There's actually a comically large selection process for this on the main menu screen

barbarella satyricon

#759 Post by barbarella satyricon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:43 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:20 pm
Subs are optional. There's actually a comically large selection process for this on the main menu screen
Thanks, that’s good to know. I first watched this one on a really bad non-anamorphic transfer and it still became my favorite Tsai from that viewing. Will plan on picking this up.

hearthesilence

#760 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:44 pm

mikeyzjames wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 pm
RobertB wrote:

FWIW, I ordered through Cinema Guild and my PS4 reads it as a BD-R. I've also never seen a blu-ray disc you can straight-up look through like this one. Looked good on screen though.
Nitrateville has a page on this. Does the BD-R look like their example, where you can see a difference to the area that's "burned" and the area that isn't?

(BD-R is on the left, pressed BD is on the right.)

Aunt Peg

#761 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:14 am

I purchased my Blu Ray of Still Life from Amazon and it was a BD-R.

ianthemovie

#762 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:01 am

swo17 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:33 pm
ianthemovie wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:13 pm
Has anyone picked up the new DVD version of The Hole? I'm curious as to whether it's enough of an improvement on the old Fox Lorber DVD to make it worth picking up (though it's hard to imagine it could be worse).
That's great to hear! Still frustrating that this title probably won't be getting upgraded to Blu anytime soon but at least the new DVD is a step up.

mikeyzjames

#763 Post by mikeyzjames » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:00 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:44 pm
mikeyzjames wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 pm

Nitrateville has a page on this. Does the BD-R look like their example, where you can see a difference to the area that's "burned" and the area that isn't?

(BD-R is on the left, pressed BD is on the right.)
Looks like the one on the right.

hearthesilence

#764 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:36 pm

mikeyzjames wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:00 pm
Looks like the one on the right.
Thanks - very interesting. Fop said his looked like a regular BD (i.e. the one on the right too), but maybe his disc is really a BD-R. Disappointing that this is only a BD-R, but again if it's something like an M-Disc, it's likely to be durable enough to outlast us all.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#765 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm

Amazon has been known to burn their own MOD versions of otherwise pressed Blu-rays, so it wouldn't be unheard of

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#766 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Just to make this clear, I know very well what a BD-R looks like and what one doesn't look like. On the left is my BD-R of Supercop, on the right, my pressed copy of Still Life. As mentioned earlier, I bought this directly from Cinema Guild on Black Friday.

nitin

#767 Post by nitin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:47 am

Are Cinema Guild still on holidays? I have been trying to get an update on a Black Friday order but am not getting any responses via email.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#768 Post by Shrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:27 pm

FYI, I had a Black Friday order I just picked up last weekend, because it had been sent to the wrong address. I finally got around to checking the tracking information after waiting 6 weeks, which said the package had been delivered 12/7. I realized that even though Cinema Guild's site was showing my current address for the order, the USPS tracking page indicated that the package had been delivered to a different zip code where I'd lived 5 years ago. So I swung by my old apartment and sure enough the package was there. Fortunately for me, the apartment was only 20 mins away and in a building with an open foyer where packages would regularly sit for awhile.

That apartment was probably the first place I ever had a Cinema Guild ordered shipped to, and their system must have somehow reverted to it even though I had put in my new address (and had stuff successfully shipped here before). So I'd advise anyone still waiting on an order to check by old addresses if they can.

hearthesilence

#769 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm

Shrew wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:27 pm
FYI, I had a Black Friday order I just picked up last weekend, because it had been sent to the wrong address. I finally got around to checking the tracking information after waiting 6 weeks, which said the package had been delivered 12/7. I realized that even though Cinema Guild's site was showing my current address for the order, the USPS tracking page indicated that the package had been delivered to a different zip code where I'd lived 5 years ago. So I swung by my old apartment and sure enough the package was there. Fortunately for me, the apartment was only 20 mins away and in a building with an open foyer where packages would regularly sit for awhile.

That apartment was probably the first place I ever had a Cinema Guild ordered shipped to, and their system must have somehow reverted to it even though I had put in my new address (and had stuff successfully shipped here before). So I'd advise anyone still waiting on an order to check by old addresses if they can.
Was your old address still saved in your account? (Which reminds me, I need to clean out my address books on all my accounts - I think I even have a London address saved on a few when I was able to ship orders to an airbnb I was using while on vacation.)

ng4996
the Wizard of Ozu

#770 Post by ng4996 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:20 pm

nitin wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:47 am
Are Cinema Guild still on holidays? I have been trying to get an update on a Black Friday order but am not getting any responses via email.
I preordered a copy of Liberté earlier this month, as it was supposed to come out on the 12th. I haven't received a confirmation email, and the website says the order is still pending, so them being in holiday seems likely. For what it's worth I was a bit shocked to see the release date for Liberté was pushed back to March when I checked in the order.

nitin

#771 Post by nitin » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:06 pm

I just got a response so they appear to be back.

Finch

#772 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 pm

dadaistnun

#773 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:50 pm

CG has picked up Hong's new one, Introduction, plus Like You Know it All, Hahaha, Oki’s Movie, Nobody’s Daughter Haewon, and Our Sunhi.

therewillbeblus

#774 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:09 am

Not exactly a strong slate of Hong, but absolutely thrilled about Nobody’s Daughter Haewon, which I’ll continue championing as his secret masterpiece even if I’m destined to die alone on that hill

knives

#775 Post by knives » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:12 am

Alternatively I find those to be his absolute best films.