Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
captveg

Re: Passages

#8851 Post by captveg » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:19 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:43 pm
captveg wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:52 pm
Tommy Lasorda

Considering how long he had suffered from heart issues it's a credit to him for making it so long.
I have a love hate relationship with Lasorda. He was great for the game. A true ambassador for Baseball. I enjoyed to no end when his Dodgers beat the Yankees in 1981. But also hate him for his vastly underdog 1988 team beating the "Mighty" Mets, as Lasorda referred to them, in the playoffs. They had all the mojo going that year. But I do love him more. LOL. RIP.
As an Oakland A's fan I share your pain over the 1988 Dodgers.

The Curious Sofa

#8853 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:55 pm

Vladimir Korenev died on 2nd January 2021 of COVID-19 at the age of 80. He's probably best known as the star of the 1962 Russian romantic science fiction film Amphibian Man, which has quite a few similarities with later The Shape of Water.

flyonthewall2983

#8854 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:47 am

According to his official website, cellist David Darling passed away Friday. He was from Indiana, born in a town not that far from me actually. He recorded for ECM, solo and in collaboration with other artists from that label. He's also done some film work, most notably, his composition "In November" was used in Heat.

Feego

#8855 Post by Feego » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:49 pm

Antonio Sabato, of COVID-19. His son, Antonio Sabato Jr., has been a vocal anti-masker during the pandemic.

Feego

#8856 Post by Feego » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Steve Carver, director of Lone Wolf McQuade and Big Bad Mama

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8857 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Michael Apted discussion moved here

dx23

#8858 Post by dx23 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:25 pm

B-Movie actress Julie Strain. She had been suffering from dementia for several years now. Strain was also Kevin Eastman's (co-creator of TMNT) ex-wife.

dx23

#8859 Post by dx23 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:57 pm

captveg wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:19 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:43 pm
captveg wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:52 pm
Tommy Lasorda

Considering how long he had suffered from heart issues it's a credit to him for making it so long.
I have a love hate relationship with Lasorda. He was great for the game. A true ambassador for Baseball. I enjoyed to no end when his Dodgers beat the Yankees in 1981. But also hate him for his vastly underdog 1988 team beating the "Mighty" Mets, as Lasorda referred to them, in the playoffs. They had all the mojo going that year. But I do love him more. LOL. RIP.
As an Oakland A's fan I share your pain over the 1988 Dodgers.
Loved Lasorda. He was a huge figure in Puerto Rico due to a couple of great Budweiser commercials he did in the island in the late 80's/early 90's. I was fortunate to meet him in 1988 when the Dodgers were schedule to have a pre-season game in PR against the Pirates but it was cancelled due to rain. I was 8 years old at the time and was allowed to go in the field to talk to the players and ask them for autographs. I spotted Lasorda, who was in the middle of an interview with a local TV station, and when he saw me, he grabbed me into the interview, put his shoulder around me like if we were old pals and started signing a baseball and a cap I had. After the interview, he spent a good 10 minutes talking to me and giving me some tips on how to improve my pitching. It's an experience that I will never forget and that made me love baseball even more.

Aunt Peg

#8860 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am

Director/screenwriter Enrique Pineda Barnet best known as co-writer of I Am Cuba (1964). No linked able to be provided at this time. Sourced from Wikipedia.

dwk

#8861 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm

agnamaracs

#8862 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:24 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm
Actreas Jessica Campbell
Aw, no. Seth Rogen's smart-ass tuba-playing girlfriend on "Freaks and Geeks?" One of my favorite characters, even though she was only in a couple of episodes... Very, very sad.

hearthesilence

#8863 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:40 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm
Actress Jessica Campbell
Aw man, that's terrible - only 38 with a ten-year-old son. I figured she had left acting but I had no idea she had become a doctor. I only know her from Election even though I've seen Freaks and Geeks a few times, but she was excellent and gave the film a genuine emotional heft that would have otherwise been more or less absent.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8864 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Will never be able to hear Donovan's "Jennifer Juniper" without thinking of her. Rest in peace.

Pavel

#8865 Post by Pavel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 pm

mizo

#8866 Post by mizo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:29 am

Sylvain Sylvain from the New York Dolls

hearthesilence

#8867 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 am

mizo wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:29 am
Sylvain Sylvain from the New York Dolls
Love the New York Dolls. Sad that David Johansen is the only one left now (he still puts on a great show), but at least Sylvain lived a full life, and I'm guessing he was able to say goodbye and put his affairs in order, the first one who was able to do so.

knives

#8868 Post by knives » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:51 pm

hearthesilence

#8869 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:26 am

Edward Fletcher, aka Duke Bootee, the pioneering rapper who co-wrote and appeared on Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five’s classic “The Message.”

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#8870 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Blutarsky

#8871 Post by Blutarsky » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:22 pm
Phil Spector
I knew this was coming. Phil had never been, by both physical and mental standards, “healthy”. Since the release of “River Deep - Mountain High” and his marriage to Ronnie Spector nee Veronica Bennett, Spector had bouts of reclusion, drug abuse, and a life threatening car accident that took his life in the seventies. The “Wall of Sound” he created is, even today, one of the most exhilarating listening experiences. “Be My Baby”, “Then He Kissed Me”, and “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” are rightfully deserving of their place as some of the greatest pieces of pop music ever recorded. His work on Let it Be may still be controversially, but his work on John and George’s solo albums are essential to their breakthrough post-Beatles.
However, it goes without saying that his eccentricities as a producer also led to some awful events. Lana Clarkson was lost way too early, Ronnie Spector was mentally tortured, being held prisoner in their mansion with her kids, and drawing a loaded gun on the Ramones. It is incredibly sad that we lost Phil, but it is important that we remember his legacy as a titan of the music industry, and his failures that led to suffering of others.

hearthesilence

#8872 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:29 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:21 pm
Never Cursed wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:22 pm
Phil Spector
I knew this was coming. Phil had never been, by both physical and mental standards, “healthy”. Since the release of “River Deep - Mountain High” and his marriage to Ronnie Spector nee Veronica Bennett, Spector had bouts of reclusion, drug abuse, and a life threatening car accident that took his life in the seventies. The “Wall of Sound” he created is, even today, one of the most exhilarating listening experiences. “Be My Baby”, “Then He Kissed Me”, and “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” are rightfully deserving of their place as some of the greatest pieces of pop music ever recorded. His work on Let it Be may still be controversially, but his work on John and George’s solo albums are essential to their breakthrough post-Beatles.
However, it goes without saying that his eccentricities as a producer also led to some awful events. Lana Clarkson was lost way too early, Ronnie Spector was mentally tortured, being held prisoner in their mansion with her kids, and drawing a loaded gun on the Ramones. It is incredibly sad that we lost Phil, but it is important that we remember his legacy as a titan of the music industry, and his failures that led to suffering of others.
A great artist and a complete shit. Thoroughly scarred by his upbringing, but also enabled by too many people in the music business. Tom Wolfe's profile on him remains a classic. Darlene Love's new Rolling Stone and Variety interviews where she discusses every crappy thing Spector did to her is worth reading - in the end, she won her court battles and complete vindication.

dustybooks

#8873 Post by dustybooks » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 pm

Nik Cohn’s profile of Spector from The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll is magnificent (eerily capturing him in all his seclusion as of the early 1970s) and quite prophetic, but doesn’t seem to be online anywhere sadly.

Blutarsky

#8874 Post by Blutarsky » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:21 pm

hearthesilence, I completely agree with you that a great artist and complete shit. It was very interesting reading the reflections by Spector’s former label artists. If any book is worth reading is both Tom Wolfe’s legendary essay and Ronnie Spector’s memoir “Be My Baby”. Her escape from his mansion is truly heartbreaking and horrifying.

Lemmy Caution

A dignified hero

#8875 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm

Phil Spector telling a story about Otis Redding:
Like when I met Otis Redding the first time. Otis says, “Hey Phil” – man, I loved Otis – we were just gettin’ along famously talking, having dinner and he says, “How long you been knowin’ Omelet?” I just sort of laughed ’cause he said “Omelet,” and I know his name is Ahmet not “Omelet.” And I said, “About seven years.”

And he said, “Omelet is just too much, he’s too much.”

I said, “Yeah he sho’ is.” Afterwards, I went over to Ahmet Ertegun and said, “Ahmet, how long you been knowin’ Otis?”

He said, “Oh, about three years.” I said, “And you mean he calls you ‘Omelet’?”

So he says, “That’s right man. You know he calls the office all the time and he asks for Omelet, and they don’t want to hurt his feelings by telling him my name is Ahmet.”

Otis was not a dumb colored cat. You know he was a smart cat and knew what was happening. If he ever knew that Ahmet’s name was not Omelet, he would have been real upset, you know. And none of the secretaries told him ’cause they thought, “Oh, man, maybe a dumb spade.” And also they loved him and didn’t want to put him down, but he’d get on the phone with Jerry Wexler and he’d say, “How’s Omelet doin’?” Wexler would say, “Oh, Omelet’s fine Otis, Omelet’s doin’ real good, Otis.” The poor guy called him Omelet all his life.

{Note: Phil Walden, Otis’ close friend and personal manager, says Otis knew Ahmet’s real name, but thought it was a laugh to call him “Omelet.”}

But they love Ahmet for that, because he looks like Lenin, he has his beard and he’s sophisticated and he come on and he jives all these cats and he goes to Harlem and he cooks and he smokes the shit and everybody digs him.
From a long and zany 1969 interview.