Error 4444

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
L.A.

Error 4444

#1 Post by L.A. » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Error 4444 is an American genre label. Their aim (per Facebook):
...is to bring Asian cinema to the Blu-ray format for the very first time, featuring new restorations overseen by the filmmakers and releasing the films in limited collector’s edition packaging. They already have rights to a rare Japanese Sci-Fi/Horror film and are working on many more!
Their first release was just announced which is Anatomia Extinction (Yoshihiro Nishimura, 1995). More details coming up soon.

Maltic

Re: Error 4444

#2 Post by Maltic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:15 pm

L.A. wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:06 pm
Error 4444 is an American genre label. Their aim (per Facebook):
...is to bring Asian cinema to the Blu-ray format for the very first time, featuring new restorations overseen by the filmmakers and releasing the films in limited collector’s edition packaging. They already have rights to a rare Japanese Sci-Fi/Horror film and are working on many more!
Their first release was just announced which is Anatomia Extinction (Yoshihiro Nishimura, 1995). More details coming up soon.

Looking forward to brand new colour schemes, aspect ratios, title sequences. One never steps into the same river twice! :D

Boosmahn

#3 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:24 pm

I overlooked the "genre film" part and was briefly hoping a label that could release Last Life in the Universe came along...

Still, this label sounds like one to look out for.

L.A.

#4 Post by L.A. » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:03 pm

***ARTWORK/FEATURES REVEAL***

Making its worldwide Blu-ray debut this year from Error 4444 !

Yoshihiro Nishimura’s “Anatomia Extinction” AKA “GENKAI JINKÔ KEISÛ” (1995)!

Pre-orders will be available on 3/25!

https://error4444.bigcartel.com/

Special features and Specs:
•NEW SCAN & RESTORATION
OF ORIGINAL 16MM ELEMENTS SUPERVISED BY DIRECTOR, YOSHIHIRO NISHIMURA
•EXCLUSIVE ART CARDS BY YOSHIHIRO NISHIMURA
•INTRODUCTION BY YOSHIHIRO NISHIMURA
•DELETED CGI OPENING SEQUENCE
•SHORT FILM
•AUDIO COMMENTARY BY YOSHIHIRO NISHIMURA
•ANATOMIA EXTINCTION & TOKYO GORE POLICE: A SHARED WORLD BROKEN DOWN BY YOSHIHIRO NISHIMURA
•TRAILER
•NEW ENGLISH SUBTITLES DESIGNED BY YOSHIHIRO NISHIMURA
Extras:
•8-PAGE BOOKLET
•O-CARD SLIPCOVER WITH NEWLY COMMISSIONED ARTWORK
•NEW SLEEVE ART
•NEW REVERSIBLE SLEEVE ART
•2 STICKERS

LIMITED TO 1,000 copies

Synopsis: The story of a man who becomes infected by the Engineer and slowly mutates. Once infected, the Engineer’s victims go on relentless murder sprees and it is made quite clear that this is seen as the only way to get the exploding population back under control.

beamish14

#5 Post by beamish14 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:05 pm

Really excited about this announcement. I adore Funky Forest, and the DVD prices had gotten insane.

We’re thrilled we can finally announce some planned releases with you all! To start, we’re working on releasing both FUNKY FOREST: THE FIRST CONTACT (2006) and WARPED FOREST (2011) in HD for the first time. We’ve lined up tons of extras including a Director’s Cut of FUNKY and several other new features with creators Katsuhito Ishii, Hajime Ishimine and Shunichiro Miki. In addition, all of the features from the old FUNKY dvd will be included as well!

If you’ve never seen or heard of FUNKY FOREST, you’re in for a treat! We’re huge fans of it here at Error_4444 and we feel it’s probably best described to a newcomer as if David Lynch and David Cronenberg went on holiday together to Japan and then returned to pitch their experiences to Adult Swim.

As for WARPED FOREST, it remains mostly unseen with only a small festival run in 2012. Since then, its been locked away, but we’ve found the keys!! Working as a pseudo-sequel to FUNKY, WARPED is also filled with the same zaniness that we’ve all come to love—including naked women trees that grow vagina-like fruit, animals that feast on nipples to bring sexual pleasure and kaiju-sized humans living and working normal lives.

We're proud to unleash both of these cult oddities back into the public consciousness!! In addition, we’ll be announcing two 80’s Hong Kong horror titles very soon. So strap in and stay tuned. Thank you all!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Alas, while Nishimura seems to have quite a few fans, his style seems to be a near-total fail for me. Just too erratic and eccentric.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#7 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:01 pm
Alas, while Nishimura seems to have quite a few fans, his style seems to be a near-total fail for me. Just too erratic and eccentric.
I have to agree. Reminds me of the sort of cult revival of Japanese films of the early 2000s where the common adjective for Japanese films was “weird”. A little too much weird for the sake of being weird with Nishimura.

I’m curious about what will be coming from them in the future. None of their releases so far intrigue me, but I did preorder their first release just to support a new label doing something interesting (and just to give the film a shot). I am certainly intrigued by the announcement of Hong Kong films in the future. I blund buy category III films when I encounter them and have numerous on laserdisc and DVD that need to be rediscovered for the lovers of nasty genre films (Daughter of Darkness, Diary of a Serial Killer, Dr. Lamb, etc.).

cowboydan

#8 Post by cowboydan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 am

Anatomia Extinction looks similar to some of my favorites like Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer and 964 Pinocchio. I don't think it will quite reach the same level as those two films for me but I'm intrigued and looking forward to taking in the imagery it has to offer.

agnamaracs

#9 Post by agnamaracs » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:25 pm

Preorder for Funky/Warped Forest.
Physical Date: March 21st

The Forest Collection Box Set Including Both
Funky Forest: The First Contact | ナイスの森 THE FIRST CONTACT (2005)
& The Warped Forest | あさっての森 (2011)

REGION FREE = A / B / C
PRESSED BLU RAYS
LIMITED EDITION OF 1000 UNITS

BOX SET FEATURES --
• Double walled Box Set with new art created by Zi Xu, @ziqqix (also includes embossing and spot UV)
• 2 Booklets (one including two essays by the incredibly talented Michelle Kisner, @robotcookie)
• 3 Stickers
• 1 Art Card (size of a post card)
• Extra Mystery Disc
• 2 main sleeve art pieces designed by Zi Xu, @ziqqix
• 2 Reversible sleeve art pieces from both films

Funky Forest: The First Contact (2005) --
• New HD Transfer From Original Elements (150 mins)
• New Audio Commentary with Directors—Katsuhito Ishii, Hajime Ishimine and Shunichiro Miki
• New Director’s Cut Scenes (22 mins)
• The Making of Funky Forest - “Into the World of the Unfathomable Forest” (70 mins)
• Katsuishi’s Dance (A Choreography Lesson) (7 mins)
• The Transfer Student is Here! (5 mins)

The Warped Forest (2011) --
• New HD Transfer From Original HDCAM Tapes (82 mins)
• Audio Commentary with Director, Shunichiro Miki
• Introduction by Director, Shunichiro Miki
• The Making of Warped Forest - “Into the World of the Limitless Forest” (12 mins)
• Interview with Director, Shunichiro Miki (23 mins)
• The Wonderful Dwellers of Funky Forest (25 mins)
• Original Storyboards of Warped Forest
• Trailer (1 min)

J Wilson

#10 Post by J Wilson » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:40 pm

Error 4444 has added the HK Cat III horror films Centipede Horror (1982) and Red Spell Spells Red (1983) as their next release, scheduled for "early 2022." No details beyond "Exclusive Restorations of the Original UNCUT Film Elements for Both Films."

yoloswegmaster

#11 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:57 pm

More Cat III horror titles are coming, as Error 4444 have announced that they will be releasing 'Run and Kill' and 'Red To Kill'.

L.A.

#12 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:44 pm

Announcing CENTIPEDE HORROR and RED SPELL SPELLS RED! Pre-orders begin August 5th @ 10AM EST.
Exclusively on our website -
https://error4444.bigcartel.com
Thank you so much for your patience. Artwork, features and package details will be revealed next week!

L.A.

#13 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:15 pm

We’re excited to finally unveil art, features and bundle options for our releases of CENTIPEDE HORROR & RED SPELL SPELLS RED, both of which go up for pre-order this Friday, August 5th @ 10AM EST exclusively on our website - error4444.bigcartel.com

CENTIPEDE HORROR – Collector’s Edition Limited to 2,000 Units
Limited Contents:
-2 Slipcase Designs – 1,000 of each
-Booklet with Essay from the late Travis Crawford + Photos + Ad Artwork
-3 Lobby Cards
-Reproduction of original signed photo from lead actress Margaret Lee
-3 Stickers
-Double-Sided Poster
-Reversible Artwork w/ Original Mainland China VHS Art

Special Features
-2K Restoration of Uncut Film Elements [95 mins.]
-Animal Cruelty Free Cut [94 mins.]
-Predicting Ultraviolence: Hong Kong’s Category III Rating
-Spot The Difference: Centipede Horror Censorship
-Teaser Trailer
-Trailer
-Cantonese & Mandarin Audio Tracks
New English & Mandarin Subtitles

RED SPELL SPELLS RED – Collector’s Edition Limited to 2,000 Units
Limited Contents:
-2 Slipcase Designs – 1,000 of each
-Booklet with Essay from the late Travis Crawford + New Interview with Red Spell Spells Red Director, Titus Ho + Photos + Ad Artwork
-3 Lobby Cards
-3 Stickers
-Double-Sided Poster
-Reversible Artwork w/ Original Mainland China VHS Art

Special Features
-2K Restoration of Uncut Film Elements [94 mins.]
-Animal Cruelty Free Cut [91 mins.]
How To Make A Successful Hong Kong Black Magic Film
-Teaser Trailer
-Trailer
-Cantonese & Mandarin Audio Tracks
-New English & Mandarin Subtitles

VHS Collabs with Lunchmeat VHS will be up for grabs during our pre-order.
Very limited —
50 of Centipede Horror
50 of Red Spell Spells Red
50 of Anatomia Extinction

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:19 pm

NEW FILM ANNOUNCEMENTS!

FATAL TERMINATION (1990) - That’s right! We’re working on a restoration of the legendary Hong Kong action film with arguably the most irresponsible and dangerous scenes ever put to film. But it’s really so much more than just those scenes. Watching the amazing cast including Moon Lee, Ray Lui, Simon Lam, Robin Shou and Phillip Ko go after each other with nonstop precision is exhilarating to say the least. This is definitely one film every Hong Kong action lover should see!

CHALLENGE OF THE LADY NINJA (1983) - May we introduce the most outlandish martial arts film you’ve never seen! This Taiwanese ninja film is overflowing with crazy antics: female mud wrestling, giant spider webs, underground gopher fights, murder by ninja seduction, an all-female assassin squad and several big bads. It’s an incredible little martial arts film that really throws everything in the book at you. We’re proud to be doing a brand new restoration of the film and hope that you all embrace it with as much affection as we have for it. It has strong female lead characters who kick ass and we honestly can’t wait to show it off to you soon!

THRILLING BLOODY SWORD (1981) - You may have heard of this one recently as a print of it was scanned and released to the public. We’re doing a proper restoration of the original elements to make sure the film is seen in the right way for the first time ever and we went through the correct channels to do so. Like CHALLENGE, this Taiwanese film is filled with crazy predicaments and set-pieces, but it’s a fantasy wuxia fairy tale epic that looks a lot like what a live-action Heavy Metal magazine adaptation may look like if it were done right in the 1980s. We’re talking He-Man meets Flash Gordon meets Ghostbusters meets Snow White meets Aladdin. Monsters, flashy costumes, black magic, wild set decoration… you’re gonna love it!

THE IMPERIAL SWORD KILLING THE DEVIL (1981) - Released the same year as BLOODY SWORD, IMPERIAL is another Taiwanese fantasy wuxia picture that takes off at warp speed and never rests until you suddenly realize it's all over and can safely wipe the sweat from your forehead. This film has skeletons, acid pits, flying dragons that make people explode, cartoon death drops and rock climbing and that’s all in the first ten minutes! This is a film that rushes by you. It’s like a fast moving train and if you catch it, you’ll be privy to all its secrets and amazingness. We’re thrilled to be doing a full restoration so it can be seen again in all its glory. All aboard!

That’s all for now! We’re working on more films, but this is all we can announce at the moment! We’re also hard at work ensuring CENTIPEDE HORROR and RED SPELL SPELLS RED are ready for October. And we’re hoping to get RUN AND KILL and RED TO KILL out within the fourth quarter of this year. We’ll see! Anyway, we hope these new title announcements tide you over. Thanks for all your continued support and kindness!

Thornycroft

#15 Post by Thornycroft » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:30 am

FATAL TERMINATION isn't one of the best Moon Lee vehicles (where's a nice Blu-Ray of the Iron Angels series when you need it?) but they're not wrong about it containing one of the most jaw-droppingly irresponsible action scenes I can ever remember seeing. Scenes of child endangerment are fairly routine in HK films of the era but FATAL TERMINATION really does take the cake.

CHALLENGE OF THE LADY NINJA was one of the films screened as part of the Taiwan B-Movies series at Anthology Film Archives back in 2020 and while it may not be quite as outrageous as their synopsis suggests it's certainly a fun and endearing flick that deserves a wider audience. The print streamed by AFA was in pretty decent condition, though there was a fair bit of speckling throughout and some rough splices so I'll be interested to see how much they manage to clean it up.

Finch

#16 Post by Finch » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:22 am

They had me at Taiwanese ninjas and wuxia.

Glowingwabbit

#17 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:42 am

Their releases so far have looked great but not to my taste, however I'm very excited about these recent announcements. Also exciting if this means even more from the Taiwanese archives in the future (if that's where the elements were found)

I was listening to an interview with them on the Disconnected YouTube channel and it sounds like they've worked with Third Window and Spectrum to share resources. I'd be curious to see if they were able to do any of the Shaw titles that Spectrum has done that fit their interest.

I also didn't realize this, but they provide alternative cuts on their releases that are animal cruelty free.