World of Tomorrow Series (Don Hertzfeldt, 2015-)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
therewillbeblus

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#26 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:39 pm

Doesn't Hertzfeldt himself have mixed feelings on Genre? Not sure if he'd want to restore/release it

therewillbeblus

#27 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:59 pm

His last email said there will be more updates about what to expect on the blu-ray, so maybe they'll use some of the extra money to restore more works after all..

Murdoch

#28 Post by Murdoch » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:08 pm

That would be great, the first blu-ray was stacked after all the funding it got.

I caved and upgraded to get the jigsaw puzzle, if only because the concept of a Hertzfeldt jigsaw puzzle seemed neat and it was such an odd perk to include.

Finch

#29 Post by Finch » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 pm

I chimed in with $20 for the BD myself. His first Kickstarter release is one of my most cherished discs.

zedz

#30 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:00 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:59 pm
His last email said there will be more updates about what to expect on the blu-ray, so maybe they'll use some of the extra money to restore more works after all..
The way it's going, he should have enough money to fund Worlds of Tomorrow 4 through 12.

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:18 pm

zedz wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:00 pm
The way it's going, he should have enough money to fund Worlds of Tomorrow 4 through 12.
Yeah I admittedly don't understand how kickstarters work- does any of the money get kicked back to the pledgers, or is it used to fund future projects that pledgers get access to, or does the person collecting the money just keep it?

Hertzfeldt has said before (and in a recent interview) that he plans to keep making World of Tomorrow episodes indefinitely, and was initially planning to release them 'out of order' since part of the idea is time functioning nonlinearly

knives

#32 Post by knives » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:20 pm

It’s all Hertzfeldt’s.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#33 Post by soundchaser » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:25 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:18 pm
Yeah I admittedly don't understand how kickstarters work- does any of the money get kicked back to the pledgers, or is it used to fund future projects that pledgers get access to, or does the person collecting the money just keep it?
Typically, the creator will announce "stretch goals" with certain amounts over the initial being used for things like longer booklets, deluxe packaging, extra subtitles, etc. Basically, the money would go to an improved end result. I assume some of those will be popping up soon. In this case, Hertzfeldt will probably use some of the dough for future projects, but he doesn't necessarily have to give backers access to them. (Though he probably would.)

therewillbeblus

#34 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:29 pm

Good, thank you both, it's nice to know he has the funds to keep making these great films. Hopefully folks have a chance to see Episode Three before Sci-Fi list submissions.

Adam X

#35 Post by Adam X » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Surely you all read the fine print before handing over your dollars?
Don Hertzfeldt wrote:...it seems like a good time to host another fundraiser because i've just broken ground on my new spoon-and-banana-shaped twin swimming pools and i blew the rest of the cash betting on horses.

zedz

#36 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:25 pm

Adam X wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:19 pm
Surely you all read the fine print before handing over your dollars?
Don Hertzfeldt wrote:...it seems like a good time to host another fundraiser because i've just broken ground on my new spoon-and-banana-shaped twin swimming pools and i blew the rest of the cash betting on horses.
I'm just glad to be contributing towards knife-, fork- and fish-knife-shaped swimming pools to go with them.

colinr0380

#37 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:10 am

I think that he also noted on the campaign page for this second Kickstarter that some of the extra funding received from the first Kickstarter did go towards producing the second and third parts of World of Tomorrow. As long as it goes towards future films and swimming pools it seems fine by me.

Is anyone on the forum a new pledger this time around? If they are, it sounds very cost effective to pick up the It's Such A Beautiful Day disc from the first Kickstarter at the same time. Even if it duplicates the first World of Tomorrow episode it has almost all of Hertzfeldt's other work on it. Even the segment from the 'famous animated TV series'.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

therewillbeblus

#38 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 am

I’m a new pledger- I must have missed the deal for It’s Such a Beautiful Day, what is it?

doctordre

#39 Post by doctordre » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:09 am

therewillbeblus wrote:I’m a new pledger- I must have missed the deal for It’s Such a Beautiful Day, what is it?
$50 for both discs

knives

#40 Post by knives » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:24 am

DVD + DVD. It’s under the rewards section.

therewillbeblus

#41 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:48 am

Wow, thanks- I literally have the page open on my comp at home to buy the It's Such a Beautiful Day blu directly from Hertzfeldt's Bitter Films site after revisiting it last night, which I was planning to do after work, so good timing. Not that it would've been much more, but saving $10ish counts.

Also, changing your pledge package is a lot easier than Hertzfeldt made it sound from his #2 email, there's even general instructions about it on kickstarter's site- no idea why he made it more complicated!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#42 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Don Hertzfeldt Kickstarter update wrote:in order to properly prepare your home for the arrival of your new blu-ray, please take this moment to review some important information

- to comfortably break in the new blu-ray leather, use standard blu-ray rub. gently knead the disc edges, always moving with the grain.

- it is common for oils and other fluids to secrete from the blu-ray while spinning. excessive foaming can be reduced with a gentle wet cloth. do not clean too frequently as this may result in dry playback.

- unwanted blu-ray hair can be removed with common garden shears

- when not in use, please keep the ambient temperature in the blu-ray's terrarium above 85°F

- do not menstruate or make sudden movements near blu-ray

- if you hear blu-ray sobbing from other room, gently sing "you are my sunshine"

- do not touch blu-ray hole and then make contact with eyes or mouth

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#43 Post by soundchaser » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:42 pm

Hertzfeldt just added original drawings on Post-it notes as a reward, and I’m incredibly tempted to up my pledge. Especially because “it might be garfield eating lasagna.”

therewillbeblus

#44 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:48 pm

I created a special folder in my email just for these updates. I appreciated the Texas blackout check-in that became about heightened Cheerio night vision

therewillbeblus

Re: Don Hertzfeldt

#45 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:55 pm

For those who didn't contribute to the kickstarter, the latest hilarious email from Hertzfeldt:
Don Hertzfeldt wrote:i'm afraid i have some bad news to share tonight. due to a clerical error, it turns out we have not been working on blu-rays all this time, but have instead raised enough money to purchase the tampa bay rays.

it is my understanding that this is a baseball team. they appear to have very little to do with animation, science fiction, or the playback of any digital content whatsoever. this is quite different than what we promised and i apologize. they have never even won the world series.

as the new owner of the tampa bay rays i am going to try and make this up to you by sending a player to every backer's house. with the aid of puppets and clever lighting, exciting major league stars like randy arozarena and ryan yarbrough will act out for you, in exciting detail, all the events of the "world of tomorrow" series. my hope is that this will be close enough to the intended blu-ray experience.

if you were a backer in our previous kickstarter, you will no doubt remember how a similar factory mix-up resulted in providing everyone at the end of the campaign with not blu-rays, but manta rays. despite our best efforts, these manta rays did not result in playing the films we promised but instead flopped around and leaked water when shoved into a blu-ray player.

look, we're doing our best. please know that i share in your disappointment with the tampa bay rays. it was an honest mistake and we're simply going to have to make the most of it. let's go tampa bay! sting! sting! is that the cheer for the tampa bay rays? sting sting sting!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#46 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:52 pm

He also sent out a link to this Gizmodo Q&A the other day

therewillbeblus

#47 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:38 pm

Yeah I meant to post that in the Sci-FI thread since it began by professing that perhaps the World of Tomorrow series belonged listed amongst the great sci-fi films on the same day our list dropped but it seems that I forgot

zedz

#48 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm

Coming into the last days of the campaign, for those that haven't participated (and will regret it later). With a late push, Herzfeldt might just raise enough to buy Monaco.

I confess that I irrationally increased my pledge to include the jigsaw puzzle after it was upgraded from 550 pieces to 1000.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#49 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Hertzfeldt is also taking questions from backers for an interview supplement to be recorded for the disc, in case anyone wants more details on owning a small-market MLB team

therewillbeblus

#50 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:55 pm

zedz wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm
I confess that I irrationally increased my pledge to include the jigsaw puzzle after it was upgraded from 550 pieces to 1000.
It's alright, as Herzfeldt says, if you change your mind just throw away half the pieces! My favorite bit from the last email was
Don Hertzfeldt wrote:- last but not least, it is very clear that you anarchists are conspiring to make the kickstarter officially end at $420,069. i just want you to know that i know.