Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
senseabove

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3176 Post by senseabove » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:27 pm
Surprised they wouldn't do these in multi-volume boxsets. I've only seen She Done Him Wrong which was awful enough that I never bothered to track down any more Mae West films. Are any of the others recommended? I do have the last film in a WC Fields boxset that I just haven't gotten to yet.
I've only seen She Done Him Wrong and I'm No Angel, and the latter was definitely better than the former. That said, I can't say I feel compelled to swing a blind buy of the rest, and if I were, it'd be Indicator's presumably forthcoming box...

Glowingwabbit

#3177 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:51 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Surprised they wouldn't do these in multi-volume boxsets. I've only seen She Done Him Wrong which was awful enough that I never bothered to track down any more Mae West films. Are any of the others recommended? I do have the last film in a WC Fields boxset that I just haven't gotten to yet.
I've only seen She Done Him Wrong and I'm No Angel, and the latter was definitely better than the former. That said, I can't say I feel compelled to swing a blind buy of the rest, and if I were, it'd be Indicator's presumably forthcoming box...
Oh yes an Indicator set would probably be worth it just for the special features. Here you get the Kino in-house commentaries (I've liked all of these commentators in the past but almost all their stuff for Kino just sounds uninspired)

Big Ben

#3178 Post by Big Ben » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:56 pm

I think this is one of those things were the commentary might be more interesting than the films themselves. The scandals surrounding West were always more interesting to me than the films themselves.

dwk

#3179 Post by dwk » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:03 pm

I've been going through them on the Criterion Channel (all but the first movie are on there until the end of the month) and they are not good,. These are an easy pass.
Edited to add: According to the Kino Insider, these are individual releases and are not being released as a box set.
Last edited by dwk on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

therewillbeblus

#3180 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:56 pm
I think this is one of those things were the commentary might be more interesting than the films themselves. The scandals surrounding West were always more interesting to me than the films themselves.
The commentaries also block out her voice- don't tempt me

Big Ben

#3181 Post by Big Ben » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:56 pm
The commentaries also block out her voice- don't tempt me
Truly, as I mentioned before I would argue that West is more important for what she represented than the quality of her films. She's pretty tame by today's standards but a woman who had an abortion and supported gay rights must have been a terrifying thing to the establishment at large at the time. A pity about the you know, movies.

therewillbeblus

#3182 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Yeah your explanation in the Britta thread and now here honestly makes me consider picking up the Indicator set too solely for the extras, depending on how they contexualize this information, because they'll probably be historically fascinating. I probably won't though, simply because buying a set of films I know I'll never watch feels wrong to me.

senseabove

#3183 Post by senseabove » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:39 pm

I just hope somebody can get to the bottom of her beauty routine.

knives

#3184 Post by knives » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Are her books any good? A bit like inventor Preston Sturges films seem like a side gig for West.

CSM126

#3185 Post by CSM126 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:58 pm

My only exposure to Mae West is the truly abysmal Sextette (doubtlessly the saddest excuse for a final film), and I can’t imagine that any of her other films are THAT bad. Or at least I hope not. Not that I’m blind buying any of these.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3186 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:18 pm

All these Mae West movies and no one bothered to license Myra Breckinridge from Fox before Disney shut the vault doors

Feego

#3187 Post by Feego » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:04 am

I'm a bigger fan of Mae West than most (or pretty much anyone) around here, though I will admit her films are not good and that her one-note persona is not enough to carry a picture. For that reason, if you have to see one West film, I recommend her very first, Night After Night. I wrote it up here for the Pre-Code list, as well as She Done Him Wrong and I'm No Angel. Night After Night benefits from casting West in a supporting role so that you get everything you get in one of her vehicles but in a more succinct and, for some, tolerable dose. It's no masterpiece, but I found it a fun pre-coder with colorful characters and atmosphere.

Aunt Peg

#3188 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:01 am

My favourite Mae West line is "No such thing as a good girl gone bad.....only bad girls found out."

ianthemovie

#3189 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
I seem to recall My Little Chickadee being somewhat amusing as a parody of Stagecoach (it even has Donald Meek). It's helped immensely by the creative input of Fields. If I recall correctly it's predicated on the joke that West is all too willing to be ravished by the masked man who everyone else in the film sees as a rapist and the robber of her "virtue."

Her appearance in Myra Breckinridge--in which she performs a rap number called "You Gotta Taste All the Fruits" right before Raquel Welch pegs Roger Herren with a strap-on--is so bad it's not even so-bad-it's good.

dwk

#3190 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Kino announced that they are releasing The Widow Couderc from a new 4K restoration.

knives

#3191 Post by knives » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 am

Going back to our Mae West discussion, I snapped on Klondike Annie this morning and not only is it the best West film I’ve seen, not much of a distinction, but a genuinely good film with a violent edge and harshness befitting director Walsh’s reputation. West’s hands are all over this, but it’s not really a comedy so much a von Sternberg like drama of femme fatale ripping apart the illusion of machismo with some snappy lines thrown in. It’s a mature and intelligent script by West that breaks down ideas of liberalism with a moralizing force on it. She starts off as a Rousseau and through a Calvin is able to become a sort of Malcolm X.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3192 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:36 pm

Ongoing and very enlightening audio commentary discussion moved here

captveg

#3193 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:16 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Cotton Comes to Harlem (1970) (DVD) (BD is also OOP)

EDIT: They must have tracked down some copies because as of 3/2/21 the DVD version is back on the website.
Last edited by captveg on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

captveg

#3194 Post by captveg » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:07 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Flesh + Blood (1985) (DVD) (BD is also OOP)
Solarbabies (1986) (DVD) (BD is also OOP)

Glowingwabbit

#3195 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Big announcement of an underseen Lubitsch!!! Also known as The Man I Killed.
Coming Soon!
Brand New 2K Master!

Broken Lullaby (1932) Starring Lionel Barrymore, Nancy Carroll & Zazu Pitts – Shot by Victor Milner (Cleopatra) – Screenplay by Samson Raphaelson (Suspicion) and Ernest Vajda (The Merry Widow) – Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (To Be or Not to Be).
Last edited by Glowingwabbit on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3196 Post by soundchaser » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm

I thought this one was just ok when I marathoned Lubitsch's sound films last year, but maybe I'll get something more out of it on a second go. It's quite tonally different from anything else he ever did, I think.

Glowingwabbit

#3197 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:17 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm
I thought this one was just ok when I marathoned Lubitsch's sound films last year, but maybe I'll get something more out of it on a second go. It's quite tonally different from anything else he ever did, I think.
Definitely strikes a different tone. Probably best watched on It's own. It's also just a title I never thought would get a restoration and blu ray release.

I should add that my second viewing of the film gave me greater appreciation of it.

Gregory

#3198 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Kino Lorber wrote:Starring Lionel Barrymore, Nancy Carroll & Zazu Pitts
ZaSu Pitts, from Eliza Susan, and it's misleading to claim she had a starring role in this.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3199 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Glad they're rescuing this from MOD purgatory

knives

#3200 Post by knives » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:32 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm
Alternatively, I think it is one of his best and easily his best drama.