Criterions Out of Print (OOP)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
movielocke

Re: Criterion OOP

#351 Post by movielocke » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:51 pm

meaningless milestone, I think (without including the fellinis) that there are now ~1000 in print titles in the collection.

davidhuxley

#352 Post by davidhuxley » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:44 am

How did you arrive at that figure? By my reckoning, as of October 25, 2020, there are 77 OOP spine-numbered releases. If you're counting titles instead of spines, there are 1182 films featured in the spine-numbered series. There are some releases with a single spine number, but with multiple titles, and some spine numbers which are not titles. There are also many titles released without spine numbers, like the films in the Bergman and Varda boxes.

SSF

#353 Post by SSF » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 am

Olivier’s Hamlet is OOP.

movielocke

#354 Post by movielocke » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 am

davidhuxley wrote:How did you arrive at that figure? By my reckoning, as of October 25, 2020, there are 77 OOP spine-numbered releases. If you're counting titles instead of spines, there are 1182 films featured in the spine-numbered series. There are some releases with a single spine number, but with multiple titles, and some spine numbers which are not titles. There are also many titles released without spine numbers, like the films in the Bergman and Varda boxes.
Uh I don’t remember.

I think, but don’t hold me to this, my numerological sorcery was taking the highest spine number (that had been announced at that point) and subtracting the number of oop spines and getting a result that was at or above 1000.

captveg

#355 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 pm

SSF wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 am
Olivier’s Hamlet is OOP.
Hopefully an indication that it and Henry V have BD upgrades just over the horizon.

Amazing Goose

#356 Post by Amazing Goose » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm

What are the chances that The Third Man comes back in print? I'm not as good at keeping up with who has the rights as some are on here, but I've noticed that just about everything seems to eventually come back in print.

I'm wishing I had sold my Sternberg DVD set when it was getting high prices, and am considering putting my Third Man blu-ray up for sale if the odds are good that it may come back at some point, too.

hearthesilence

#357 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Amazing Goose wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm
What are the chances that The Third Man comes back in print? I'm not as good at keeping up with who has the rights as some are on here, but I've noticed that just about everything seems to eventually come back in print.
I hope it does. The current UK BD from Studio Canal used a 4K transfer that's a better picture than Criterion's old BD, but as documented elsewhere on this forum, the soundtrack on that UK BD has these bizarre edits (or rather errors) where bits of dialogue were somehow lost and other sound effects were even repeated.

The Criterion BD soundtrack is better, but it's also harsh from heavy compression, so ideally they'd reissue a BD with the new 4K transfer picture but tie it to their original 1999 DVDs soundtrack (as well as keeping all of the great bonuses on the old Criterion BD).

ianthemovie

#358 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Persona is now listed as "currently unavailable" on the Criterion store. Is that the same as out-of-print? Personally I'm crossing my fingers that this means they're planning to reissue it in a single-disc/plastic case edition.

therewillbeblus

#359 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Persona is now listed as "currently unavailable" on the Criterion store. Is that the same as out-of-print? Personally I'm crossing my fingers that this means they're planning to reissue it in a single-disc/plastic case edition.
Probably just another example of discontinuing a dual format release to repackage with single Blu/DVD versions on the horizon

Wigs by Leonard

#360 Post by Wigs by Leonard » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:14 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
King of the Hill is another spine within the span of dual-format releases with the same status - which appears on a few dozen titles after every flash sale and only means they've depleted stock temporarily. It usually disappears fairly quickly, unless it's a dual-format spine that's sold out its print run. Persona is almost certainly coming back as soon as possible with separate Blu and DVD editions. Same is likely for King of the Hill, as Soderbergh hasn't mentioned it to my knowledge in his recent interviews about rights reverting back to him for some films, although I am curious if Kino's upcoming head-scratcher of a standalone release of The Underneath may mean that that film would be absent from the second printing's special features.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#361 Post by barryconvex » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:09 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Just curious-why is this important to you? I always thought the dual format packaging for Persona was really gorgeous..

FrauBlucher

#362 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:09 pm

Via Email Criterion did indeed say that Persona is getting a repackaging and I'm sure that's true for King of the Hill (I didn't ask about this title) as well. Within the first quarter of 2021 was suggested as to when it will be released

BTW... It's been listed that way since the Flash Sale ended

black&huge

#363 Post by black&huge » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:29 am

barryconvex wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:09 pm
Just curious-why is this important to you? I always thought the dual format packaging for Persona was really gorgeous..
I will admit myself that i'm hanging onto my individual release mostly because of the digipak even though I have the Bergman set

ianthemovie

#364 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:16 am

barryconvex wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:09 pm
ianthemovie wrote:
I agree that the dual-format package design is beautiful but I prefer the single-disc editions in plastic cases because they scuff less easily and take up far less room. (My shelf space for movies is currently limited to a single 5' x 3' bookcase, so every centimeter counts!) I'm hoping that Criterion will follow suit with Jules and Jim, Breaking the Waves, and Y Tu Mama Tambien.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#365 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:47 pm

I do love some of the DF releases and am too keeping Persona despite having the Bergman set but yeah, those 3-discs digipacks are taking quite more space than the usual Criterion release.

Blutarsky

#366 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:11 pm

La Dolce Vita, Rosemary’s Baby, Days of Heaven, and Don’t Look Now are all listed as OOP. La Dolce Vita is still included in the Fellini boxset though, which is still in stock.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#367 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:19 pm

As is Harold and Maude

ShempTCat

#368 Post by ShempTCat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:20 pm

Nashville is listed as OOP

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#369 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:28 pm

And Friends of Eddie Coyle is Currently Unavailable but may very well be the next Paramount title on the chopping block

black&huge

#370 Post by black&huge » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:40 pm

so the paramount titles are in fact going OOP? is Election at risk as well?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#371 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm

I mean, they just put a Paramount title out this month (the Parallax View), so it's probably a timing thing with certain titles not being renewed (presumably unexpectedly-- my understanding is that there's a new head of home video at Paramount, so this shift may come from them)

FrauBlucher

#372 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:00 pm

With the state of physical media this an odd and surprising development from Paramount. Especially since Paramount was the weakest studio in releasing back catalogue for many years. Could this be tied into their Paramount Plus streaming platform?

Edit:
Domino wrote:(presumably unexpectedly-- my understanding is that there's a new head of home video at Paramount, so this shift may come from them)
This explains a big part of it
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

therewillbeblus

#373 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 pm

This is bananas, what a rug-pull. I've been putting off buying The Friends of Eddie Coyle forever, though, so I guess that's on me

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#374 Post by soundchaser » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Grim situation, especially because it's such a surprise (unlike, say, Fox titles going OOP). Who are all these goons taking over home video departments lately? Between Fox, Warner, and Paramount it feels like we're in trouble.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#375 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:08 pm

Harold and Maude and Rosemary's Baby are still available from Amazon. Medium Cool (also prob next on the block) isn't though