Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

AidanKing

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#551 Post by AidanKing » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

Thanks for reminding me of that 'Allonsanfan' article! Outside of the big three in the Arrow set, I have only seen 'Good Morning, Babylon' and 'Fiorile'. As you say, they are clearly not as good, but I do like the way 'Babylon' manages to successfully bring together actors from different countries, usually speaking their own languages, and yet still works effectively as a coherent piece. I also remember an interview with the Tavianis where they were asked if they saw themselves as artisans like the Italian masons and they wittily replied that, no, they saw themselves as more like Griffith.

Arrow released 'Fiorile' on DVD a while ago, and I enjoyed things like the anachronistic use of music (in the ball scene, I think), which I suppose has some similarities with Tarantino making use of Morricone's music, although any connections probably end there.

I missed 'Night Sun', unfortunately. It appears to have a terrific supporting cast (Nastassja Kinski, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Rudiger Vogler) and I do like Julian Sands too, although I understand his acting sparks divisive reactions among viewers.

Calvin

#552 Post by Calvin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:31 am

Considering Arrow discounted their Taviani box set down to £7.50 in one sale before it sold out, I think it's unlikely that they'll be dipping into that well again.

I do remember there being mention of Indicator having plans for an English-language film by a European director and I don't think one that meets that criteria has been announced since; I remember thinking it might be either Lars Von Trier's Dancer in the Dark (via Film4) or Wim Wenders' Hammett (via Studio Canal).

MichaelB

#553 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:35 am

I'm as proud of the Taviani box as I am of anything that I worked on, but I was never expecting it to race up the sales charts.

It didn't help that Arrow was changing their PR company at the time and it fell through the cracks, getting virtually no reviews aside from one in Sight & Sound that I personally engineered - which led to the absurd situation of the Cohen Taviani box polling much higher in the Beev's 2016 poll even though the Arrow edition included literally everything that was in the Cohen box, plus four hours' more extras, plus a 100-page book showcasing the six Pirandello stories that fuelled Kaos, at least half of them in world premiere translations. (Handily, Pirandello is in the public domain, so I only had to pay for a translator.)

But them's the breaks.

AidanKing

#554 Post by AidanKing » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:28 pm

Well, the Taviani box from Arrow is undoubtedly one of the best items in my DVD and BluRay collection, both in terms of the films themselves and the contextualising extras, so it's a shame if its relatively slow sales, in what is not really expected to be a fast-selling market, have scuppered the chances of any more of the brothers' films getting a similar release.

Having to some extent derailed the discussion by mentioning films not really within Indicator's remit, I did notice that Ken Loach's 'Land and Freedom' doesn't appear to have a BluRay release. However, I suspect that it would already be on Indicator's radar if the rights holders are ones the company sometimes works with.
Last edited by AidanKing on Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvin

#555 Post by Calvin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:58 pm

Land and Freedom was supposed to be coming from 'Works Film Group' back in 2017 but never materialised along with the other titles they announced (A Prairie Home Companion, Shortbus). So as far as I can tell it's totally OOP.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley is the Loach film that I'd most like to see get an upgrade. It was a Fox title through their relationship with Pathe, but the ever-reliable Wikipedia seems to answer the question I had over what would happen to those titles in light of the Disney buy-out - namely that the rights reverted to Pathe in 2020. So in theory it, along with the likes of Ratcatcher and Hunger, could now be available for licensing...

Ribs

#556 Post by Ribs » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:38 pm

A Kino title I’ve avoided buying even as it’s been in multiple sales entirely because it seemed like exactly the type of thing Indicator would do is Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment, which inexplicably was like one of the first movies I prioritized watching when I really fell into real movies and I haven’t seen it since. As an underseen British SC title starring one of Britain’s great actors in a rare and early leading role, I figure it seems more likely than most, though I expect if something hasn’t popped up by the next time it’s in a sale I’ll bite the bullet.

rapta

#557 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:28 am

Thought announcements would be next Thursday as per last month but the May slate has just suddenly been announced as Columbia Noir #3 and Someone to Watch Over Me and the newsletter clue is Putney Swope! What a month! :D

What A Disgrace

#558 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:47 pm

They're going to magic up some spectacular garbage extras and convince me to sell my Vinegar Syndrome disc before I even watch it.

Calvin

#559 Post by Calvin » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:20 pm

It wasn't very long ago that I imported the Vinegar Syndrome release but I'm excited to see what Indicator can put together for Putney Swope...fingers crossed that they can put a release together similar to the Downey Sr. Eclipse set.

Cash Flagg

#560 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Reposted from Classic Horror Film Board:
from John Walsh, a trustee of the Ray and Diana Harryhausen Foundation

"I'm working with Indicator/Powerhouse on a new Harryhausen box set which will for the first time bring together all of Ray's films under one box set umbrella, never been done before. There's new extras, I found test footages, animation footages of Pegasus, Medusa, Kraken and so on, and we maybe doing, I hope we doing, the 4K of Clash of the Titans next year's 40th anniversary."

What A Disgrace

#561 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 pm

If Indicator now has a bona fide Warner Bros. deal beyond just the Harryhausen films, that might explain why the Columbia Noir sets are about 100 spines ahead of everyone else.

Ribs

#562 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:39 pm

WB has been willing to play ball for filmmakers or estates that push for it, see the Oliver Stone TT releases or Arrow’s Cruising - I would not expect any particular reason to think this would be an exception.The jump in spine numbers is in all likelihood just a quirk of Indicator commiting to the Columbia Noir sets in force fast after they had been licensed rather than just arbitrarily waiting around for numbers that don’t matter to catch up to them.

rapta

#563 Post by rapta » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:32 pm

I assumed the leap in spine numbers was due to another large Sony package deal, as they reportedly sign dozens of titles at a time in good faith (plus probably a few handfuls of Universal, StudioCanal, Screenbound, Film4 ones). Perhaps the Noir titles were some of the last ones they signed off on, but the first they fast-tracked for release? I agree that I wouldn't expect a Warner Bros deal beyond anything the Harryhausen Foundation allowed.

MichaelB

#564 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm

If I remember rightly, the release dates of the Columbia Noir boxes were significantly brought forward because they presented far fewer Covid-19-related challenges with regard to production - although copious, the extras generally consisted of off-the-shelf archive material or self-recorded commentaries. It's filming people (especially elderly people, as is often the case) under lockdown conditions that's been the big logistical headache over the last year, so this was a nifty way of alleviating this.

Spine numbers have generally gone haywire over the past year compared with the far more sequential 2016-19, but this is pretty much entirely due to the pandemic playing havoc with planned release schedules.

yoloswegmaster

#565 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:03 pm

Indicator is saying that there will a big announcement next week regarding their June titles. I can see the mega Harryhausen boxset as being the big announcement.

therewillbeblus

#566 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Please let it just be California Split

knives

#567 Post by knives » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Just rewatched it so that would make sense by forum logic.

beamish14

#568 Post by beamish14 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:56 pm

knives wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:11 pm
Just rewatched it so that would make sense by forum logic.

Well, I just saw Remember My Name, so let's all believe in miracles.

rapta

#569 Post by rapta » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:04 pm

Likely to be the Harryhausen set because they could release it the day before his 101st birthday...and also I can't think of an announcement that would be postponed this much (they're usually the first Thursday of the month, rather than the third). They're surely getting some last minute details ready?

Huge if they can get all his films - including those from Warner Bros (and StudioCanal) - but would kinda make all the previous Harryhausen box sets now redundant, wouldn't it? I guess they'll have a plan for that, whether they offer simultaneous separate editions or not.
Last edited by rapta on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L.A.

#570 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm

Josef von Sternberg’s Thunderbolt is coming from Kino Lorber in July. Just double-checking, was this coming from I. as well?

CSM126

#571 Post by CSM126 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:55 pm

L.A. wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm
Josef von Sternberg’s Thunderbolt is coming from Kino Lorber in July. Just double-checking, was this coming from I. as well?
Yes, it was in a newsletter clue recently

L.A.

#572 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:20 pm

CSM126 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:55 pm
L.A. wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm
Yes, it was in a newsletter clue recently
Thanks.🙂

rapta

#573 Post by rapta » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:24 pm

Just to confirm, these are the upcoming Indicator titles confirmed so far thanks to newsletter teasers, magazine adverts (mostly in Sight&Sound) and promotional flyers:

Thunderbolt (Josef von Sternberg, 1929) - could also mean An American Tragedy as well...
She Done Him Wrong (Lowell Sherman, 1933) - generally thought to be part of a possible Mae West box set
Knock on Any Door (Nicholas Ray, 1949) - mentioned in the initial Columbia Noir announcement, could even be a Bogart-focused volume?
Corruption (Robert Hartford-Davis, 1968)
Putney Swope (Robert Downey Sr, 1969)
Diary of a Mad Housewife (Frank Perry, 1970)
The People Next Door (David Greene, 1970)
California Split (Robert Altman, 1974) - heavily delayed of course, due to rights issues out of Indicator's control, but recently added to the Criterion Channel so hopefully things are looking up...
Mad Dog Morgan (Philippe Mora, 1976)
The Brute (Gerry O'Hara, 1977)
Dracula (John Badham, 1979) - supposedly a special edition with multiple cuts (like the Shout Factory edition)
Jagged Edge (Richard Marquand, 1985)
Ishtar (Elaine May, 1987)

And of course there are more Hammer and Columbia Noir sets on the way, plus some kind of 'Harryhausen Centenary Collection' which according to at least one source will include 'all of Ray's films under one box set umbrella' as well as newly resurrected test footage in the extras. I imagine there will be at least one other box set we don't know anything about too.

Cannot wait for some of these - in particular California Split and Ishtar - but also particularly looking forward to Putney Swope, Diary of a Mad Housewife, Thunderbolt, Jagged Edge and Mad Dog Morgan. And of course any more Columbia Noir is always a no-brainer purchase (especially with names like Nicholas Ray and Humphrey Bogart), and I'm personally hoping they'll continue that to do more noir sets (perhaps Universal or Paramount?) and maybe even a couple of Columbia Western sets as well (there are enough to make at least one or two, and I loved the Boetticher set). Indicator have even curated these Hammer sets so well I couldn't even resist (so far I own Volumes Two, Four, Five, and have pre-ordered Six as well, and bought standard editions of the ones I missed out on).

PS: Occasionally I notice titles mentioned in the blurbs of other titles, if that makes sense, that can feel so specific that they may be hinting at an upcoming release. Some of these include: Jigsaw (Val Guest), The Horror at 37,000 Feet (David Lowell Rich), Voices (Kevin Billington), The Whisperers (Bryan Forbes), An American Tragedy (Josef von Sternberg), Auto Focus (Paul Schrader), One False Move (Carl Franklin), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (Peter Greenaway), Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song (Melvin Van Peebles), Twisted Nerve (Roy Boulting), My Name Is Joe (Ken Loach), Goodbye Gemini (Alan Gibson), Connecting Rooms (Franklin Gollings), X the Unknown (Leslie Norman), Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (Karel Reisz), The Man Who Had Power Over Women (John Krish), All the King’s Men (Robert Rossen), Bonjour Tristesse (Otto Preminger), Letter from an Unknown Woman (Max Ophuls), Scarlet Street (Fritz Lang), Sorry, Wrong Number (Anatole Litvak) and so on. Of course these might not all come from Indicator, but several of them seem likely (if I had to guess: An America Tragedy, Auto Focus, One False Move, X the Unknown, All the King's Men, Bonjour Tristesse).

therewillbeblus

#574 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 pm

rapta wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:24 pm
California Split (Robert Altman, 1974) - heavily delayed of course, due to rights issues out of Indicator's control, but recently added to the Criterion Channel so hopefully things are looking up...
Not to burst your bubble (and mine; this has gradually become perhaps my favorite American film ever, and I'm antsy as hell) but I'm pretty sure the issues come down to streaming/theatrical vs. physical media rights. At least that's what the article posted here indicated, and why it's been available without a headache in the full cut to stream on Amazon Prime vs. the DVD that was three minutes short or from Criterion/Indicator after years of tease

Finch

#575 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:13 am

Scarlet Street was mentioned on the previous page. Given MoC's love of Lang and their release of the companion film The Woman In The Window, I'd be surprised if Indicator got to Scarlet Street first.