Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Maltic

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3301 Post by Maltic » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:27 pm

That's fitting, since Pinkerton also did Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

captveg

#3302 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Making Contact (1985) (BD) (DVD still available)
The Missouri Breaks (1976) (BD) (DVD still available) (Had sold out before, but returned briefly)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#3303 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:33 pm

I’ll patiently wait for the Indicator release of Thunderbolt. I think Nick Pinkerton is an excellent writer, but the few commentaries I’ve heard by him have been so-so, so I’m curious out the Indicator release will be. I previously saw this years ago on a VHS rip, so looking forward to a proper HD scan.

captveg

#3304 Post by captveg » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Lisa (1990) (BD)

L.A.

#3305 Post by L.A. » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am

Coming July 20th!

The Plainsman (1936)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

From Cecil B. DeMille, the iconic director of The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific, Reap the Wild Wind, Unconquered and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic western starring screen great Gary Cooper (Beau Geste, High Noon) as legendary gunman Wild Bill Hickok. Teaming up with his lover Calamity Jane (Jean Arthur, A Foreign Affair, The More the Merrier), as well as Buffalo Bill Cody (James Ellison, The Undying Monster), Hickok helps to pacify the frontier in a period of immense change for the Old West. At the same time, behind the scenes, we see the political decisions undertaken by President Lincoln (Frank McGlynn Sr., Captain Blood) that gradually shape America in the period after the Civil War. Charles Bickford (The Big Country) and Anthony Quinn (The Ox-Bow Incident) round out the superb cast in this sweeping epic packed with thrilling action, powerful drama and spectacular set pieces.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3306 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 am

Really loving the love DeMille is getting. When I first bought MOC's Cleopatra I loved it, and was quickly disappointed in how few of his films seemed available on blu ray at the time, especially considering what I perceived to be his stature. So I've been picking all of these up.

Glowingwabbit

#3307 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:57 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am
Coming July 20th!

The Plainsman (1936)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

From Cecil B. DeMille, the iconic director of The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific, Reap the Wild Wind, Unconquered and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic western starring screen great Gary Cooper (Beau Geste, High Noon) as legendary gunman Wild Bill Hickok. Teaming up with his lover Calamity Jane (Jean Arthur, A Foreign Affair, The More the Merrier), as well as Buffalo Bill Cody (James Ellison, The Undying Monster), Hickok helps to pacify the frontier in a period of immense change for the Old West. At the same time, behind the scenes, we see the political decisions undertaken by President Lincoln (Frank McGlynn Sr., Captain Blood) that gradually shape America in the period after the Civil War. Charles Bickford (The Big Country) and Anthony Quinn (The Ox-Bow Incident) round out the superb cast in this sweeping epic packed with thrilling action, powerful drama and spectacular set pieces.
If they're gonna mention The More the Merrier in their press release I hope they plan to release it. I'm enjoying all these Jean Arthur releases and hoping for that one. The Talk of the Town would be nice too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3308 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 pm

That's with Sony, which I don't think KLSC currently has a relationship with?

captveg

#3309 Post by captveg » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:52 pm

Cadillac Man (1990) (BD)

captveg

#3310 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:26 pm

Night Angel (1990) (BD) (DVD still available) (Had sold out before, but returned briefly)
Queen of Blood (1966) (BD)
Star Crystal (1986) (BD) (DVD still available)
To All a Goodnight (1980) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)
War-Gods of the Deep (1965) (BD) (DVD still available)

EddieLarkin

#3311 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 am
The Kino March Madness Sale has started.

Between this and the Warner Archive sale starting tomorrow, I've decided to try out Stackry to reship them to the UK. It would be easier if they just offered international shipping but alas.
Thanks for the recommendation Calvin! I purchased 18 titles from the WAC and 18 from Kino, paying about £7 for each one. Shipping and consolidation through Stackry was about £30. I did falsify the customs note to keep things under £135, and sure enough it got through customs with no questions asked (clearly no one cares about stuff below this amount anymore, instead just assuming all shops are charging 20% at checkout). So in total I paid less than £8 a disc. Even during a DeepDiscount sale a UK importer can expect to pay double that. I look forward to the next Criterion Flash Sale, where I expect to get a bundle of US exclusive Criterions for around £16 each, which is a huge saving considering what it costs to get a US Criterion to the UK these days (£25-£30 easy).

hearthesilence

#3312 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:49 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm
Calvin wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 am
The Kino March Madness Sale has started.

Between this and the Warner Archive sale starting tomorrow, I've decided to try out Stackry to reship them to the UK. It would be easier if they just offered international shipping but alas.
Thanks for the recommendation Calvin! I purchased 18 titles from the WAC and 18 from Kino, paying about £7 for each one. Shipping and consolidation through Stackry was about £30. I did falsify the customs note to keep things under £135, and sure enough it got through customs with no questions asked (clearly no one cares about stuff below this amount anymore, instead just assuming all shops are charging 20% at checkout). So in total I paid less than £8 a disc. Even during a DeepDiscount sale a UK importer can expect to pay double that. I look forward to the next Criterion Flash Sale, where I expect to get a bundle of US exclusive Criterions for around £16 each, which is a huge saving considering what it costs to get a US Criterion to the UK these days (£25-£30 easy).
I just realized between the growing value of the pound vs. the dollar and the absence of U.S. sales tax, it really is quite a deal if you can get these through without the customs headache!

captveg

#3313 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:03 pm

Grizzly (1976) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)
The Pied Piper (1972) (BD) (DVD still available)
The Purple Plain (1954) (BD)
Report to the Commissioner (1975) (BD)
Something Big (1971) (BD)

captveg

#3314 Post by captveg » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:58 pm

The Passage (1979) (BD)

dwk

#3315 Post by dwk » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:07 pm

Kino announced a L'Amour Braque Blu-ray
Coming July 27th!

L’Amour Braque (1985) aka Mad Love
• 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Audio Commentary with Director Andrzej Zulawski and Writer Daniel Bird
• Becoming Marie: Interview with Sophie Marceau
• Interview with Director of Photography J.F. Robin
• Archival Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Interviews with Zulawski and Stars Marceau & Francis Huster
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles Supervised by Director Zulawski
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

beamish14

#3316 Post by beamish14 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:07 pm
Kino announced a L'Amour Braque Blu-ray
Coming July 27th!

L’Amour Braque (1985) aka Mad Love
• 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Audio Commentary with Director Andrzej Zulawski and Writer Daniel Bird
• Becoming Marie: Interview with Sophie Marceau
• Interview with Director of Photography J.F. Robin
• Archival Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Interviews with Zulawski and Stars Marceau & Francis Huster
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles Supervised by Director Zulawski
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

WOW. I wonder if they're going all-in on Zulawski. I don't really know if we need an Ellinger commentary given how comprehensive the Zulawski/Bird one is.

MichaelB

#3317 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:19 pm

She's writing a book on Zuławski, so I suspect she has a fair bit to add.

beamish14

#3318 Post by beamish14 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:34 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:19 pm
She's writing a book on Zuławski, so I suspect she has a fair bit to add.

I stand corrected. I thought Daniel Kremer, who they've hired for a number of commentaries, had a Joan Micklin Silver biography in the works, so I hope they get him on more of her films, should they acquire them.

What A Disgrace

#3319 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 pm

I'm going to be keeping my Mondo Vision DVDs, but no way am I missing out on any of them which get bumped to Blu-ray. I hope La femme publique follows.

MichaelB

#3320 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:29 pm

You could always stick the new Blu-rays in the Mondo Vision packaging, which is pretty much what I've done with the big (but DVD-only) Andrzej Wajda box - handily, the extras are on separate discs so I can simply replace the barebones feature DVDs. I haven't quite managed to replace everything yet, but I've done the vast majority now.

captveg

#3321 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:46 pm

They Call Me MISTER Tibbs! (1970) (BD)
Zaza (1923) (BD) (DVD still available)

beamish14

#3322 Post by beamish14 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:56 pm

Does anyone know who holds the rights now to Tian Zhuangzhuang's The Blue Kite (1993), which Kino released once upon a time on DVD? It would be great if it could migrate to Criterion a la Come and See and The Tin Drum

dustybooks

#3323 Post by dustybooks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:06 pm

With the KL Insider gone from these shores I missed that Kino had released The Producers this week, though I see that an abandoned UHD was discussed a while ago. Anyway, Beav's review looks like an improvement on the Shout! release (which I never picked up).

captveg

#3324 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:45 am

The First Power (1990) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)