Kino: Miklós Jancsó Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Calvin

Kino: Miklós Jancsó Collection

#1 Post by Calvin » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:13 am

I'm also going off Google Translate, but it seems that there's more (albeit non-Criterion) good news further down the page - Kino releasing 6 films by Miklós Jancsó for his centenery this year and Arbelos in negotiations for György Kovásznay's Habfürdö

Glowingwabbit

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:41 am

Calvin wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:13 am
iKino releasing 6 films by Miklós Jancsó for his centenery this year
I remember when they announced the acquisition of those along with other Hungarian films so it's great to hear they are on the way this year (although I'm still hoping Second Run upgrades them first)

kekid

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3 Post by kekid » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:44 pm

I recall reading that Kino is planning to release several Jancso Blu Rays. Have any specifics been announced?

Ribs

#4 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 am

I imagine they will do a theatrical tour of them as they did the Szabos and that probably held it up.

These are the titles they acquired: “The Red and White,” “The Confrontation,” “Elektra, My Love,” “The Round-Up,” “Winter Wind” and “Red Psalm,”

Glowingwabbit

#5 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:34 am

From Kino Lorber's Twitter:
New 4K restoration of The Round-Up
by Hungarian master Miklós Jancsó will screen at @TheNYFF. We’ll be bringing it and four other restored Jancsó films to theaters, digital, and home video soon. #NYFF59
They originally announced acquiring 6 titles so the other four would be these minus one: The Red and White, The Confrontation, Red Psalm, Winter Wind and Elektra, My Love. (Elektra already has a gorgeous region free release so at least in terms of home video I wouldn't mind if it was the odd man out)

L.A.

#6 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:16 am

The Hungarian DVDs of The Red and the White and The Round-Up are stacked with extras which are English-friendly. Hopefully those could be added.

hearthesilence

#7 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:36 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:34 am
They originally announced acquiring 6 titles so the other four would be these minus one: The Red and White, The Confrontation, Red Psalm, Winter Wind and Elektra, My Love. (Elektra already has a gorgeous region free release so at least in terms of home video I wouldn't mind if it was the odd man out)
Second Run's Elektra is advertised as a new restoration, but it looks disappointing - I'm not sure if it's grain management or what, but it's kind of soft and lacking in detail. It's not waxy, more like the kind of HD transfer you'd expect from a really early Blu-ray. Regardless, at least it's available, so while I would like a better transfer, they should definitely drop that one if they had to lose something and there was no better master available.

EddieLarkin

#8 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:40 am

It's because Second Run have unfortunately authored it in the wrong video levels:

Even the black bars are grey instead of black.

Glowingwabbit

#9 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Wow. I've watched it a few times and thought it looked amazing. I had never seen it before and found it to be a revelation. Ill happily purchase another version.

FrauBlucher

Re: Kino

#10 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:40 pm

Glowingwabbit

#11 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:37 pm

Update; no details (coming soon though) but these will be coming to blu-ray in April. It will be a boxset (which I actually prefer as I was.likely going to buy all of them anyway)

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:13 pm

Good to know. Metrograph is both streaming them for members and projecting DCP's, but given the $17 price of admission for each, I'll probably just stream a few and pick this up if the transfer looks good. (Or stream them all if the transfer looks bad.)

Matt

#13 Post by Matt » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 pm

Marvelous. I was expecting Kino to release each one individually and to demand $120 or more to get all six.

Glowingwabbit

#14 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:12 pm

I can't remember how long the films are but I suspect it will be 3 discs with a pair of films on each. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks something like the Joaquim Pedro de Andrade set. But I'm just speculating.

goblinfootballs

#15 Post by goblinfootballs » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:24 am

Pre-order for Miklós Jancsó Collection up!

They also have a separate release of just The Round-Up and The Red and the White.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:28 am

Wow that MSRP is crazy low

hearthesilence

#17 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:32 am

And it's also 40% marked down! $29.97 is a ridiculously good deal, you'd be crazy not to jump on this.

goblinfootballs

#18 Post by goblinfootballs » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:18 am

With commentaries for all six films plus seven shorts!

MichaelB

Kino

#19 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:57 am

I’m looking forward to hearing the other commentaries. To say that Jancsó is a tough gig would be putting it mildly, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we took substantially different approaches.

(Which would probably be a good thing anyway; I deliberately refrained from going into too much detail about the 1967-74 period except in passing reference, as I assumed it would be covered elsewhere.)

Incidentally, this means that what with Second Run’s Silence and Cry and Agnus Dei, all of Jancsó’s Hungarian films from 1966-74 will be available on BD - and Jancsó needs high definition for full appreciation.

TMDaines

#20 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:23 am

Buyers in the UK can usually get very competitive prices for Kino box-sets on Amazon UK. Single releases tend to be very expensive, but boxsets are well priced. Hopefully this gets listed soon with that sort of discount.

Grand Wazoo

#21 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:18 pm

Does anyone know if I paired a purchase of the Jancso set with some While Supplies Last items, will the WSL discs be held until the pre-order ships or do I just have to hope they don't go out of stock until then?

fdm

#22 Post by fdm » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:29 pm

They hold an order until everything is in stock, and they reserve all that you order up front so you should be fine. (Every once in a while they screw up, but doesn't seem to happen very often.)

ryannichols7

#23 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:52 pm

worth mentioning that (I believe) KLI confirmed the other site that there would be a Kino sale in March, which lines up with their usual one per quarter model. if this is 40% now, I'm sure it would be then as well, if not lower. even then, the MSRP is really impressive. I'm pleased to see Kino join the UK labels in releasing these affordable boxsets of 4-6 films per director and even including commentaries with all of them. there's a certain label who should certainly be doing that over here in the states too, but that's for another topic...

truly pleased for this release and I can't see any reason to not pick this up and support more endeavors like this. hopefully Glauber Rocha gets a similar treatment.

mteller

#24 Post by mteller » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:41 pm

Just got this email:
Unfortunately, we just learned that our expected April 12th release of MIKLÓS JANCSÓ COLLECTION (4 disc Blu-Ray set) will be delayed. We are now planning to release MIKLÓS JANCSÓ COLLECTION on Blu-ray on May 10th, 2022. This will delay the shipment of your order until we are closer to the May 10th release date of MIKLÓS JANCSÓ COLLECTION (Blu-Ray) and all the items in your order are in stock and ready to send. As a reminder, we do not split orders.

Mel

#25 Post by Mel » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:16 pm

mteller wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:41 pm
Just got this email:
Unfortunately, we just learned that our expected April 12th release of MIKLÓS JANCSÓ COLLECTION (4 disc Blu-Ray set) will be delayed. We are now planning to release MIKLÓS JANCSÓ COLLECTION on Blu-ray on May 10th, 2022. This will delay the shipment of your order until we are closer to the May 10th release date of MIKLÓS JANCSÓ COLLECTION (Blu-Ray) and all the items in your order are in stock and ready to send. As a reminder, we do not split orders.
I'm curious if Second Run is planning to do a similar boxset? The only movie I would've loved to be included is My Way Home. But it really looks like a great boxset. I'm happy to import this one.