Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

dwk

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1776 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:53 am

Someone at the blu-ray.com forums said they had a postcard for A Tale of Two Sisters in their Graveyards of Honor set.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1777 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:39 am

Was this in the U.S. or the UK? In the U.S. Kino Lorber acquired the Palisades Tartan library and they've kept some of their DVDs in print, including this one. I'm wondering if Kino might finally be letting go of those titles. Oldboy doesn't seem to be available from them in any form anymore except, bizarrely, on Vudu.

dwk

#1778 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:44 am

It was posted in the UK thread.

I asked the Kino Insider about the Vengeance Trilogy and they told me they didn't own them, they were just selling off the stock. But I did notice that the clips for Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance in the Criterion Channel's intro to New Korean Cinema were credited to Kino, so who knows.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1779 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:53 am

It's definitely more than that—they also do theatrical bookings for those two films and they're part of their digital library on Kino Now. A Tale of Two Sisters isn't on Kino Now, but it is listed as one of their theatrical titles and it's up on Kanopy with KL listed as the provider.

MichaelB

#1780 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 pm
As it’s licensed from Cohen, I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t able to do a new release/their license could conceivably have run out and need to be renewed.
Very possibly the latter, since it came out just under five years ago. I can't remember the licensing terms (it's not really something that concerns the people at the production end), but five years isn't at all unusual - and while they usually get an option to renew, there's a cost attached and they may have decided to just let it lapse.

dwk

#1781 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:39 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:53 am
It's definitely more than that—they also do theatrical bookings for those two films and they're part of their digital library on Kino Now. A Tale of Two Sisters isn't on Kino Now, but it is listed as one of their theatrical titles and it's up on Kanopy with KL listed as the provider.
I guess it is possible that they thought I was only asking about Oldboy, but it is odd as Lady Vengeance appears to only be available on DVD, while Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is only available on Blu-ray.

While I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I recall that the A Tale of Two Sisters clip on the Criterion Channel intro wasn't credited to Kino. Also, it doesn't have a theatrical option on Kino's site

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1782 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:07 pm

dwk wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:39 pm
guess it is possible that they thought I was only asking about Oldboy, but it is odd as Lady Vengeance appears to only be available on DVD, while Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is only available on Blu-ray.
I've always assumed the ex-Tartan titles that Kino still sells on physical media are just leftover old stock, since the packaging has never been updated. If that's the case then the explanation would be that they sold out of their Mr. Vengeance DVDs but still have some Blus left over, and vice versa for Lady Vengeance.
dwk wrote:While I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I recall that the A Tale of Two Sisters clip on the Criterion Channel intro wasn't credited to Kino. Also, it doesn't have a theatrical option on Kino's site
You're right, though I know firsthand that Kino did theatrical bookings for it in the past. To complicate things a bit, it's still listed on their site for nontheatrical bookings, but maybe that's out of date.
Last edited by The Fanciful Norwegian on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvin

#1783 Post by Calvin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:10 pm

dwk wrote:here is the updated schedule

a later tweet clarified
Sorry HW should be crossed out as in deleted. Other crossed out titles go to 2022.
I assume HW was Hardware
'ATTS' was scheduled for October and seemingly brought forward. I'm guessing that was for A Tale of Two Sisters

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1784 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Seeing all the love for Yusuzo Masamura coming from Arrow recently, I’m going to make the guess that November’s “BB” is Blind Beast.

What A Disgrace

#1785 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:07 pm

Be pretty swell if LEUHD was a Lemora UHD.

dwk

#1786 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 am

A postcard for Fulci's Massacre Time was recently found in a copy of Crash

Cash Flagg

#1787 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:26 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:46 pm
Kim Newman tweeted that Arrow is releasing the Daimajin Trilogy
This (or one of the films) was a postcard in my US BD of A Ghost Waits, so the release will assumedly be both US and UK (the Newman tweet only mentioned the latter).

yoloswegmaster

#1788 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm

Someone had also found a postcard for Shinji Sômai's 'Sailor Suit and Machine Gun'. I also received a postcard for 'Children of Corn' in my copy of the 'King of New York' UHD, which is strange since Arrow has already released this. I'm guessing that a 4K UHD release will be coming soon?

ChunkyLover

#1789 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:16 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm
I also received a postcard for 'Children of Corn' in my copy of the 'King of New York' UHD, which is strange since Arrow has already released this. I'm guessing that a 4K UHD release will be coming soon?
Arrow's postcards have always been random. I've received postcards for titles that have been available for years (I ordered "Sleeping Dogs" not long ago and it came with a postcard for..."Sleeping Dogs").

What A Disgrace

#1790 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:00 am

I got a Children of the Corn postcard in a UK disc, and its a US title...so far.

Calvin

#1791 Post by Calvin » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:34 am

We've had some discussion re: Sailor Suit and Machine Gun over on the Shinji Somai filmmaker thread, but needless to say I'm very pleased that a label is finally taking a chance on Somai. I'm actually suprised that Arrow took so long to get round to it, as the title is a great fit for them and Kadokawa put it out in a wave of 4K restorations they released back in 2014 (along with some others that would be good for Arrow, such as Obayashi's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time).

The Japanese BD had two cuts - theatrical (111 min) and extended (130 min) that was released in 1982 following its initial success, presumably with Somai's participation and blessing but I'm not actually sure what his feelings were. There are barely any other extras though I think previous releases have had a lengthy interview with star Hiroko Yakushimaru, and Yosooi no Machi - a TV drama that was shown as a double bill in theatres with Sailor Suit's extended edition.

M Sanderson

#1792 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 am

dwk wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 am
A postcard for Fulci's Massacre Time was recently found in a copy of Crash
Nice!

I know it was restored in 4k and released in Germany on Blu ray not long ago.

black&huge

#1793 Post by black&huge » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:27 am

I was open about my thoughts of Arrow's 2020 output being very lackluster and uninteresting in fact I only picked up one new release which was The Woman but good lord they seemed to have been saving it for this year. So far the first half of this year has brought and is bringing the heavy hitters and news of a probable Massacre Time release? I hope more Fulci is in the pipeline before the year is up.

yoloswegmaster

#1794 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:41 am

Someone received a postcard for 'Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge'. Zack Davisson also revealed on Twitter that he was filming an interview for a Yokai Monster boxset. There is a "Y Boxset" listed on Fran's sheet and I can't see any other company releasing this, so I think it's safe to assume that Arrow will be releasing it.

Edit: Zack did confirm that it was Arrow who were going to be releasing this. https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status ... 0006776845

Calvin

#1795 Post by Calvin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:06 am

Interesting - I'm surprised Arrow have managed to turn around Yokai Monsters this quickly seeing as they didn't have it around the time of the Gamera release owing to a lack of HD masters.

There's a new Yokai Monsters film coming out from Takashi Miike this year, so perhaps Kadokawa had restorations planned anyway. It will be interesting to see if Arrow releases the Miike films as well.

yoloswegmaster

#1796 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 pm

Someone has found listings on the BBFC website for Children of the Corn II and III that were recently submitted by Arrow.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1797 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:09 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:41 am
Someone received a postcard for 'Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge'.
I remember this one from one of the Trailer Trauma collections. In addition to being a hilariously unwieldy title, the trailer kept trying to make the name "Eric" intimidating by repeating it with laughable nefarious intonation throughout

Adam X

#1798 Post by Adam X » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:13 am

(redundant post)
Last edited by Adam X on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvin

#1799 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:59 pm

A clue for this Friday's announcement:

It's a stock photo for 'train on railroad track'. Coupled with Fran's clue list, it seems likely to be pointing towards Lars Von Trier's Europa (part of the 'VT Box Set' that's due).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1800 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Fingers crossed for £40 RRP deluxe edition of Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat