MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
yoloswegmaster

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4051 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 pm

rapta wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:06 pm
In for Wild Search, great they're starting to finally do some Ringo Lam and Chow Yun-fat and also surprised they got Golden Princess stuff! Wonder if they can do any more Lam, like the '...on Fire' films for example, since they're apparently having trouble getting any of the well-known John Woo titles (I asked them once and they said they were in 'licensing limbo'). I also wonder if they can get Full Contact eventually as it seems to be with Sony according to Park Circus, so wouldn't be impossible.

PS: Other Golden Princess titles I could see them doing...Peking Opera Blues, The Swordsman.
I don't think Golden Princess have the rights to any of the "...On Fire" films, besides "Prison on Fire II". Hopefully they can get the rights to 'Full Contact', 'Wicked City', or 'Peking Opera Blues'.

Calvin

#4052 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:11 pm

Peking Opera Blues would be brilliant. They'd have a hard time topping the Hong Kong Rescue 'release' but at least it would be above board.

The Hong Kong titles must be a great money-spinner for Eureka, they seem to be the main focus of the label now.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4053 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:19 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 pm
I don't think Golden Princess have the rights to any of the "...On Fire" films, besides "Prison on Fire II". Hopefully they can get the rights to 'Full Contact', 'Wicked City', or 'Peking Opera Blues'.
Golden Princess was wound up in the '90s after Lawrence Louey (the company's main backer) died and his heirs decided to pull out of the entertainment business. The Historical Dictionary of Hong Kong Cinema says its library is split between Mei Ah and Fortune Star. I believe the latter has the Cinema City stuff, including Peking Opera Blues and the On Fire films. The Dictionary also claims that Star TV only acquired their rights for the 38 Asian territories where the service was operating at the time, which might explain why those titles are in limbo for some markets but apparently not others, like Japan and Korea.

The Wicked City isn't with either company, Tsui and Nansun Shi held onto the rights for that one themselves.

yoloswegmaster

#4054 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Golden Princess was wound up in the '90s after Lawrence Louey (the company's main backer) died and his heirs decided to pull out of the entertainment business. The Historical Dictionary of Hong Kong Cinema says its library is split between Mei Ah and Fortune Star. I believe the latter has the Cinema City stuff, including Peking Opera Blues and the On Fire films. The Dictionary also claims that Star TV only acquired their rights for the 38 Asian territories where the service was operating at the time, which might explain why those titles are in limbo for some markets but apparently not others, like Japan and Korea.

The Wicked City isn't with either company, Tsui and Nansun Shi held onto the rights for that one themselves.
Since I can't find 'Wild Search' on the Fortune Star site, would it be safe to assume that 'Wild Search' is being licensed from Mei Ah or is it with a different company?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4055 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm

Probably Mei Ah unless there's something else going on with the UK/international rights. The Hong Kong BD from CN Entertainment credited it to Mei Ah and this was also the case with PTU.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4056 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:39 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm
The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Since I can't find 'Wild Search' on the Fortune Star site, would it be safe to assume that 'Wild Search' is being licensed from Mei Ah or is it with a different company?
The Hong Kong Blu-ray for Wild Search lists the license from Mei Ah.

rapta

#4057 Post by rapta » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:06 pm

Ah interesting. Perhaps Eureka tried to license some Ringo Lam from Fortune Star (such as the ...On Fire films) and were denied so they looked into other companies to license some from and now have a deal with Mei Ah too? That or they're waiting on restorations for the Fortune Star titles, of course, or some other rights issues.

Full Contact seems quite likely if they have Sony, Mei Ah and Fortune Star deals active at the moment and it's both Ringo Lam and Chow Yun-fat. And would surely be the ideal kind of title to release after things like Time and Tide. In fact as much as the Sammo Hung stuff seems quite fun, I'm more interested in the HK action stuff personally and definitely hope they continue with it!

Calvin

#4058 Post by Calvin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 am

Mei Ah also own Patrick Tam's My Heart is That Eternal Rose, which would be a great Eureka title.

Maltic

#4059 Post by Maltic » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Calvin wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 am
Mei Ah also own Patrick Tam's My Heart is That Eternal Rose, which would be a great Eureka title.
Any word on Love Massacre and Nomad? Presumably they would require even more work to be done, though.

Finch

#4060 Post by Finch » Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm

The Valiant Ones Restoration Trailer
Expect this maybe later this year or in early 2022.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4061 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu May 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm
The Valiant Ones Restoration Trailer
Expect this maybe later this year or in early 2022.
Is this confirmed? The previous King Hu releases came from the Taiwan Film Foundation and Fortune Star. I don't think the Hong Kong Film Archives has licensed to anyone else, but it would be a dream if they did. They briefly released that restoration of Ann Hui's The Secret that went out of print incredibly fast.

yoloswegmaster

#4062 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Announcements are tomorrow, and as usual, the titles have leaked on Amazon:
SpoilerShow
John Frankenheimer's Prophecy
Early Universal Vol. 1 boxset (No titles have leaked but some cast members include Reginald Denny, Laura La Plante, Neil Hamilton, Dorothy Gulliver, and James Murray)

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4063 Post by soundchaser » Wed May 19, 2021 2:22 pm

That second one is definitely intriguing. Wonder if they'll be all silents or early talkies?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4064 Post by Drucker » Wed May 19, 2021 4:04 pm

Probably to be drawn from this series and maybe we get talkies and silents at different times.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4065 Post by swo17 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:05 pm

Edward Cahn please!

What A Disgrace

#4066 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 20, 2021 12:49 am

The James Murray title is almost certainly Wyler's The Shakedown, unless I'm mistaken about the company that produced that film. I'd like to think The Cat and the Canary is the Laura la Plante film. Anyway, I'm really excited about this announcement whatever it is, and even more so that it's only a volume one!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4067 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 20, 2021 12:11 pm

It is indeed the Shakedown plus Skinner's Dress Suit and the Shield of Honor -- the first two have been released on Blu by KLSC

Calvin

#4068 Post by Calvin » Thu May 20, 2021 2:00 pm

swo17 wrote:Edward Cahn please!
That would be a dream come true.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4069 Post by swo17 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:10 pm

FWIW none of the announced titles came from the list Drucker posted

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4070 Post by Drucker » Thu May 20, 2021 2:47 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:10 pm
FWIW none of the announced titles came from the list Drucker posted yet

L.A.

#4071 Post by L.A. » Tue May 25, 2021 2:40 pm

Beaver and DVD Compare reviews for The One-Armed Boxer

Orlac

#4072 Post by Orlac » Thu May 27, 2021 2:35 pm

L.A. wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:40 pm
Beaver and DVD Compare reviews for The One-Armed Boxer
It's a brilliant release of a personal fave of mine!

L.A.

#4073 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:16 pm

DVD Compare review for Encounter of the Spooky Kind

yoloswegmaster

#4074 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 am

The image is from 'Duel to the Death'

L.A.

#4075 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am

At first I thought it was from The Sword (1980).