BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

L.A.

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1426 Post by L.A. » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11 pm

Daredevils from Filmoteka Narodowa, Eureka’s Straight Shooting & Hell Bent and now Piccadilly...🍾

patreig

#1427 Post by patreig » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:23 am

It's been a full year since Richard Strauss music fell in public domain. Why is BFI sitting on "Dance of the Seven Veils"?

MichaelB

#1428 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:44 am

patreig wrote:It's been a full year since Richard Strauss music fell in public domain. Why is BFI sitting on "Dance of the Seven Veils"?
It’s the BBC’s property, not theirs, so I imagine they’re not in control of any timetable.

L.A.

#1429 Post by L.A. » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:51 am

colinr0380

#1430 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 am

Very excited to hear about Radio On and Piccadilly getting the Blu-ray upgrade.

rockysds

#1431 Post by rockysds » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:41 am

Pat Murphy's Maeve is also coming in May.

Ribs

#1432 Post by Ribs » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:35 pm

One of Our Aircraft Is Missing coming in June

ellipsis7

#1433 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 pm

And Peter Wollen''s FRIENDSHIP'S DEATH on dual format also in June...

therewillbeblus

#1434 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:21 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 pm
Nice, we knew this was coming but I believe it's been delayed several times within the last year - the only circulating copy I was able to see recently is godawful so this is most welcome

beamish14

#1435 Post by beamish14 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:22 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 pm

One of my holy grail titles. I hope the BFI can eventually get Conceiving Ada with Swinton as well.

Calvin

#1436 Post by Calvin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 pm

rockysds wrote:Pat Murphy's Maeve is also coming in May.
This is the upcoming title that I'm most looking forward to - it's a fascinating work that uniquely (or, at least, I'm unaware of any other examples) provides us with a feminist perspective on The Troubles. Extras appear to still be TBC but it feels like the kind of release on which the BFI will serve up some goodies from the archive but we have to wait and see.

Pat Murphy's follow-up, Anne Devlin, recently placed at number 3 on The Irish Times' list of Top 50 Irish films - behind Barry Lyndon and Huston's The Dead, so it was the highest placed work by an Irish filmmaker. It was also recently restored, so hopefully will see a release from somebody.

rapta

#1437 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:31 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:35 pm
One of Our Aircraft Is Missing coming in June
Not coming in June but later in 2021; was apparently incorrectly listed at HMV somehow. Still, much like Targets it'll be very appreciated!

hearthesilence

#1438 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Wow, totally missed this, but I'm thrilled they're releasing Targets. Last I checked the OOP DVD was pretty expensive, so if you're a U.S. consumer who owns it and is region-free, now's the time to unload it.

I may get Blue Sky, which I've never seen in its entirety. What a crazy history - I think Orion produced it but went under before releasing it, sending it in limbo for a good two or three years. Jessica Lange and Tommy Lee Jones were both great IIRC.

beamish14

#1439 Post by beamish14 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:14 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:01 pm
Wow, totally missed this, but I'm thrilled they're releasing Targets. Last I checked the OOP DVD was pretty expensive, so if you're a U.S. consumer who owns it and is region-free, now's the time to unload it.

I may get Blue Sky, which I've never seen in its entirety. What a crazy history - I think Orion produced it but went under before releasing it, sending it in limbo for a good two or three years. Jessica Lange and Tommy Lee Jones were both great IIRC.

Proceed with caution. Yes, Lange and Jones are both very good in it (and so are the young actors who played their daughters), but it's kind of a mess, and its two narrative strands of a housewife being constricted by Cold War-era conformity and the danger of nuclear proliferation don't entirely congeal, and it becomes borderline campy when
SpoilerShow
Jones is forcibly institutionalized and administered a massive amount of tranquilizers as a result of being a whistleblower.
Somebody on Letterboxd described it as A Streetcar Named Desire meets Erin Brockovich, which is a relatively fair assessment, but you also add a dash of A Woman Under the Influence

Ribs

#1440 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:25 pm

hearthesilence wrote:

The craziest thing to me is that Richardson died shortly after production in late 1991 - and the film continued to sit on the shelf and ultimately win a Major Oscar in the fall and winter of 1994/1995, over three full years later.

hearthesilence

#1441 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:38 pm

Ribs wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:25 pm
hearthesilence wrote:

The craziest thing to me is that Richardson died shortly after production in late 1991 - and the film continued to sit on the shelf and ultimately win a Major Oscar in the fall and winter of 1994/1995, over three full years later.
Probably worked out for Lange. If it came out in 1991 or 1992, it would have been tough going up against Jodie Foster, Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis in 1991 (tough year!) or up against Emma Thompson's star-making turn in 1992 when the Academy was swooning over Merchant-Ivory productions. Hell 1993 would have been tougher (Holly Hunter in The Piano with Miramax's notorious publicity machine).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1442 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 am

Def go for Blue Sky— here’s my writeup from the War List
domino harvey wrote:
Sat May 10, 2014 10:46 pm
Blue Sky (Tony Richardson 1994) Tony Richardson joined the elite club of esteemed directors who went out on a high note here, even if he didn't know it-- the film's release was held up for three years after his death thanks to the bankruptcy of the original studio. But as many of you no doubt recall, once it did come out, Jessica Lange flipped a switch and all of the year's major acting awards came rushing towards her person. And it probably goes without saying but Lange deserved it for her truly manic performance of a deeply troubled military wife who confuses her troubles with outward sexual energy and self-conscious aping of Hollywood starlets (the film takes place in the late 50s)-- one of the funniest moments in the movie comes from Lange greeting her new Alabama military home with Bette Davis' infamous line from Beyond the Forrest, and she often slips into a breathy Marilyn Monroe "Daddy." But I found the whole cast uniformly excellent, particularly the two young girls playing Lange and Tommy Lee Jones' children. Amy Locane as the older and more skeptical of the two is especially good at conveying what her character would be going through, and there's a great moment in the film where Locane and Lange get into an emotional fight and you'd swear she was her blood relation daughter! I also liked the scene where she and Chris O'Donnell sneak off to have sex and their impulsive act is preempted by a far more violent symbolic manifestation! The nuclear coverup storyline of the film is properly twisty, the cast provide grand entertainment along the way, and Richardson films it all with great verve. Highly recommended.

L.A.

#1443 Post by L.A. » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:14 pm

therewillbeblus

#1444 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:43 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:14 pm
10 great films about dreaming
I love the inclusion of Nobody’s Daughter Haewon on such a shortlist(!) but will admit that I never considered it a film about dreaming, though it's fitting for a Hong film, where the stand-in protagonist is both fated to be a dreamer and trapped in self-conscious reality even within their dreams!

L.A.

#1445 Post by L.A. » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:34 am

Finch

#1446 Post by Finch » Tue May 11, 2021 3:06 pm

We don't seem to have a Ordering BFI discs thread so this seemed the best place to put my question: which UK retailer are US based folks using for BFI? Their own website and Amazon UK are charging an extortionate amount for shipping, and HMV sadly don't ship to the US so it looks like Zavvi may be the only sort of reasonable option?

hearthesilence

#1447 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 11, 2021 4:11 pm

Rarewaves, which also sells through Amazon.co.uk and ebay, and for some reason they can offer much lower shipping on Amazon.co.uk. (With ebay and Amazon, you have the additional buyer protection that comes from those sites, but since they take a cut, the prices will be a bit higher.)

Also, if any US citizens ever take a trip to the UK, go to Fopp, and don't forget to get a VAT exempt form and save your receipts. When you get to Heathrow, you can get those taxes back that way. But even with taxes, the prices at Fopp are great, and I splurged while I was there.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1448 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm

Rarewaves can offer cheaper shipping because they just drop your Blu-ray into a plastic bag and call it a mailer

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1449 Post by swo17 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:55 pm

I've actually received some orders from them in boxes. And I've received refunds/replacements for items that have come damaged

Cash Flagg

#1450 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue May 11, 2021 5:01 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:11 pm
Rarewaves, which also sells through Amazon.co.uk and ebay, and for some reason they can offer much lower shipping on Amazon.co.uk.
The prices (at least for the titles I browsed/purchased) were slightly cheaper on Rarewaves site, as opposed to Amazon UK. And my Dietrich BFI set arrived (undamaged) in a box. Also, if you subscribe to their mailing list, you can get 10% off your first order.