Bardo, falsa crónica de unas cuantas verdades (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2022)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

Re: Alejandro González Iñárritu

#2 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 pm

A user at the AwardsWorthy forum linked this Mexican newspaper article, which describes camera tests done with Iñárritu and Young present, along with lots of imagery from Mexican TV shows from the 70s and 80s

Never Cursed

#3 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Iñárritu's next film, tentatively titled Limbo, has begun a supposed five-month shoot in Mexico City with a tentative plan to release the film late this year. Daniel Giménez Cacho is the lead of a supposedly ensemble cast, and Darius Khondji has replaced Bradford Young as cinematographer.

Never Cursed

#4 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Production on Limbo, which was apparently extremely arduous, has wrapped
Last edited by Never Cursed on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never Cursed

#5 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:28 pm

Limbo now titled, uh, Bardo (or False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths)

The Fanciful Norwegian

#6 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:40 pm

I'll say this for it, it doesn't have the same issue as the original title (it would've been the third feature film in as many years to be released under that title).

therewillbeblus

#7 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 pm

I realize this is my OCD talking, but it bothers me that Iñárritu is not being consistent with his placement of the word "or" between his two single-B-word-followed-by-bloated-parentheses titled films

black&huge

#8 Post by black&huge » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 pm

He should just call it "False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths". What does he think he is, an artist?

The Narrator Returns

#9 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:05 pm

Perhaps this could be its own false chronicle of a handful of truths, but there's a tweet going around saying that AGI ignored COVID protocols left and right making Bardo and "is about to be sued by large swaths of the crew".

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:50 pm

World of Reel is alleging that the main impetus for the suit is multiple crew members who contracted COVID on set… and died from it. Which seems extremely severe and it’s hard to see how it could be defended.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:34 am

The crew on the film painstakingly worked overtime hours, in crowded places and the nastiest bit of it all has many of them being forced to show up on-set with symptoms.
Yikes

Big Ben

#12 Post by Big Ben » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:06 am

Boy I thought the shit John Landis pulled on the Twilight Zone was bad. Forcing people to show up to work even when sick with COVID is downright messed up.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:13 am

Is there any actual reputable source reporting this? Zero surprise FilmTwitter wants this to be true

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:51 am

Not that I can see. Though one of the first things I found in an internet search was that he apparently donated a bunch of money last year for COVID relief to the very same kind of workers. Which is, like, the opposite of killing them

Never Cursed

#15 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:22 pm

Bardo has been bought by Netflix and will have a theatrical rollout in time for awards season. Interestingly, it was shot in 65mm.
Netflix's marketing department wrote:...the film is a nostalgic comedy set against an epic personal journey. It chronicles the story of a renowned Mexican journalist and documentary filmmaker who returns home and works through an existential crisis as he grapples with his identity, familial relationships, the folly of his memories as well as the past of his country. He seeks answers in his past to reconcile who he is in the present.
First image, spoiled for sizeShow

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:56 pm

I hope this silences the smear campaign. After the last couple weeks I doubt Netflix would be pursuing anything that could give them another black eye in the press

beamish14

#17 Post by beamish14 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:15 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:22 pm
Bardo has been bought by Netflix and will have a theatrical rollout in time for awards season. Interestingly, it was shot in 65mm.
Netflix's marketing department wrote:...the film is a nostalgic comedy set against an epic personal journey. It chronicles the story of a renowned Mexican journalist and documentary filmmaker who returns home and works through an existential crisis as he grapples with his identity, familial relationships, the folly of his memories as well as the past of his country. He seeks answers in his past to reconcile who he is in the present.
First image, spoiled for sizeShow
Fingers crossed it becomes Netflix’s second feature to receive 70mm prints

yoloswegmaster

#18 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:19 am

Poster for the film:
SpoilerShow
According to this tweet, AGI is going to be the film's Producer, Director, Writer, Editor, and Composer.

Never Cursed

#19 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:55 am

The film also has a bit of an oddball release schedule:

Mexican wide release: October 27
Limited release in the US, Spain, and Argentina: November 4
Global wide release: November 18
Streaming: December 16

yoloswegmaster

#20 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:19 pm

A first look at some footage for Bardo. Looks to be another technical marvel, as if anyone would be surprised by that.

Persona

Re: Bardo (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2022)

#21 Post by Persona » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:19 am

Not feeling those shots, compositionally and otherwise. Very awkward framing with an excessively digital look, though I presume that that's probably what Inarritu and Khondji are going for as those two know what they're doing on the technical side of things.

Mr Sausage

Re: Bardo, or False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2022)

#22 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 pm

He likes these faux 18th-century novel titles.

yoloswegmaster

Re: Bardo, or False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2022)

#23 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:37 pm

The film had its premiere today, and to what I'm sure is not a surprise to many people, it has received very mixed reviews.

I know that Iñárritu has a sizable, and very vocal, population of detractors, so I'm sure this pleases them but this strangely makes me even more excited for the film. Though I will say that some of negative tweets have made me laugh, like the last sentence of this tweet.

Never Cursed

#24 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:44 pm

This movie could be complete dogshit and I would still hope that it wins Best Director just to piss off Film Twitter. Most of the negative hot takes just seem to be variations on "I don't get it" or "It's too long," neither of which inspire confidence in their veracity (like the atrocious Deadline review, which devotes maybe 1/5 of its space to discussing the actual quality of the film in question)

knives

#25 Post by knives » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:06 pm

Or, “I don’t like it because AGI is pretentious.”