ryannichols7

Re: Criterion Collection Store

#1301 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 pm

black&huge

#1302 Post by black&huge » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:44 am

agnamaracs wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:01 pm
Is this going to be another sale where when it's over, we find out that a bunch of stuff has gone out of print?
Yep so you better be prepared to buy every available in print title just in case.

Finch

#1303 Post by Finch » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:34 pm

I already got Nightmare Alley and The Gunfighter from Amazon a few days before but in today's haul, I included The Cameraman since who knows whether Amazon will continue to license MGM titles from now on. Do Criterion do this sale twice a year? I seem to recall they had a 24 hour sale earlier in the year. I'd like to try accrue the 300+ points for the $50 gift card and therefore possibly sit out the B&N sale in November.

I should probably get Tree of Life and Budapest Hotel before Disney pull the plug on licenses.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1304 Post by Drucker » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:41 pm

They do this sale twice a year.

Also: I feel like this is at least the second year in a row where MOC, Arrow, Kino, Indicator, and Criterion all have sales that fall within a week of each other (maybe even WBShop had a sale last year?) I think I'm about to do 80% of my disc buying for the year during this two week period.
Last edited by Drucker on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#1305 Post by dwk » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 pm

The Cameraman is owned by WB, so you could have waited on that one.

In addition to all those other labels having sales, Scream Factory also has one starting on Friday.

ryannichols7

#1306 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:34 pm
I already got Nightmare Alley and The Gunfighter from Amazon a few days before but in today's haul, I included The Cameraman since who knows whether Amazon will continue to license MGM titles from now on. Do Criterion do this sale twice a year? I seem to recall they had a 24 hour sale earlier in the year. I'd like to try accrue the 300+ points for the $50 gift card and therefore possibly sit out the B&N sale in November.

I should probably get Tree of Life and Budapest Hotel before Disney pull the plug on licenses.
considering Amazon aggressively licenses their own titles to Criterion I think you're going to be okay there.

ditto for movies by two directors that have very close relationships with the label

hearthesilence

#1307 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 pm

My guideline has always been, if you can afford it and you know the transfer wasn't messed up (really wanted to get Flowers of Shanghai....sigh), just get it during the flash sale or B&N sale as soon as you can. For a variety of reasons, the cost of buying Criterion discs have only gone up, and not just for titles now out-of-print. 10 years ago was perfect - there were no sales taxes, B&N memberships gave an additional discount, and I got more cashback from some deal Discover made with BN.com. One by one, all of those things have gone away.

Finch

#1308 Post by Finch » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 pm

Yeah, I forgot Malick's and Anderson's ties to the company (ditto Cameraman being with Warner). Ended up getting TTOL and GBH before I got back on here. No regrets though as things can change in an instant and at least I'll have my copies.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1309 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:44 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 pm
For a variety of reasons, the cost of buying Criterion discs have only gone up, and not just for titles now out-of-print. 10 years ago was perfect - there were no sales taxes, B&N memberships gave an additional discount, and I got more cashback from some deal Discover made with BN.com. One by one, all of those things have gone away.
Although MSRP for Blu-rays has stayed level over 13 years of inflation

black&huge

#1310 Post by black&huge » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:32 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 pm
My guideline has always been, if you can afford it and you know the transfer wasn't messed up...
I love this reasoning as it is my own but I'm a little more lax I guess on the messed up transfer rule as I wanted Death in Venice so badly I finally pulled the trigger on it with this flash sale. That being said I mulled over the caps for the better part of nearly a year and I just really don't care all that much. It does look harsh in caps but in motion may be a different story plus I'm not one to have a migraine over scrutinizing transfers that much. The blu-ray forum taught me not to do that as it is absolutely insane the expectations some people have for home video presentations of their "favorite" films. That is to say if it's not perfect in everyway according to their standards it may as well be considered the worst thing ever.

I also got Kes, Mona Lisa, High Sierra and Ratcatcher. Kept it light especially compared to last year (finally got the bergman and varda sets last October), stayed within my budget and my buy list so I'm pretty damn happy.

hearthesilence

#1311 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 am

black&huge wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:32 am
I love this reasoning as it is my own but I'm a little more lax I guess on the messed up transfer rule as I wanted Death in Venice so badly I finally pulled the trigger on it with this flash sale. That being said I mulled over the caps for the better part of nearly a year and I just really don't care all that much. It does look harsh in caps but in motion may be a different story plus I'm not one to have a migraine over scrutinizing transfers that much. The blu-ray forum taught me not to do that as it is absolutely insane the expectations some people have for home video presentations of their "favorite" films. That is to say if it's not perfect in everyway according to their standards it may as well be considered the worst thing ever.
For a while, I did get compromised transfers simply because it was the "only" option available, but I generally can't enjoy those BD's because the compromises wound up being too distracting (completely wrong color, horrible artifacts, plastic/waxy-looking DNR, etc.). It made buying them pointless, and I'm fortunate enough to live around NYC where there are much more repertory theaters than elsewhere, so I wasn't going to miss out. Flowers of Shanghai is heartbreaking because according to tenia the DCP looks like that, and it's all apparently the director and DP's doing, so this may be how this film will look to everyone from here on out. I've seen it projected from film prints prior to this "restoration" multiple times, and the PQ is like 99% of what makes this film work and makes it so great - not to sound pretentious, but I'd rather live with the memories of what it looked like rather than obscure them further with the fresh memories of something that looks so awful.
swo17 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:44 pm
Good point, though physical media in general doesn't seem to increase or decrease with inflation anymore, at least not in recent memory. I imagine there are a lot of reasons for it. (The fluctuating cost to produce something, which may get cheaper when the format is less "new," to the price settling somewhere to maintain a certain demand despite the drop of demand in general for physical media, etc.)

dwk

#1312 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:48 am

Except Arrow's limited editions have gone up in price. The chipboard box limited editions started out, in the US with a MSRP of $39.95, then they started charging $49.95 and now they are $59.95.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1313 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:50 am

My comment was only addressing Criterion.
hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 am
swo17 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:44 pm
Good point, though physical media in general doesn't seem to increase or decrease with inflation anymore, at least not in recent memory. I imagine there are a lot of reasons for it. (The fluctuating cost to produce something, which may get cheaper when the format is less "new," to the price settling somewhere to maintain a certain demand despite the drop of demand in general for physical media, etc.)
That's certainly true that it's costing Criterion less to manufacture discs now and that they haven't reduces prices accordingly, but I was directly addressing your wording that "the cost of buying Criterion discs have only gone up." If you can believe it, the average person is now earning 27% more than in 2008, when Criterion first introduced Blu-rays. In that sense, the 25% higher UHD MSRP for a premium video product in the best format currently available is not even quite keeping up with inflation!

hearthesilence

#1314 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Very true. I also wonder if I'm taking the stable prices for granted due to age? That may sound strange, but I feel like the sticker shock of "high" prices on mundane items I rarely buy became one of the first major signs of getting older. Like in my mind, I recall going to McDonald's and getting value meals for the same ridiculously cheap price, but years later I went back thinking "holy shit, why are these so high now?" when high school was a long time ago.

omegadirective

#1315 Post by omegadirective » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:42 am

How many times a year do they have the 24 hour flash sale?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1316 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am

Usually once in February and once in October

jguitar

#1317 Post by jguitar » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:11 pm

I just received some blus from the recent Criterion Flash Sale and need to take the pulse of the forum on something that bugs me. Two of the discs arrived in less than perfect condition: After Life had become unmoored and has a few light scratches on the playing surface, and High Sierra has a nice, big, juicy thumbprint on it. What do you all do in these cases? The last time I ordered from the Criterion Store, I got a very seriously damaged Flowers of Shanghai which they replaced, but only after some pushback on my part to their initial reluctance and some photo documentation. These current cases are less serious, and I haven't attempted playback yet, but still. Part of my reluctance is realizing how much of a first-world problem this is. So, any thoughts are very welcome.

hearthesilence

#1318 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:11 pm

jguitar wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:11 pm
I just received some blus from the recent Criterion Flash Sale and need to take the pulse of the forum on something that bugs me. Two of the discs arrived in less than perfect condition: After Life had become unmoored and has a few light scratches on the playing surface, and High Sierra has a nice, big, juicy thumbprint on it. What do you all do in these cases? The last time I ordered from the Criterion Store, I got a very seriously damaged Flowers of Shanghai which they replaced, but only after some pushback on my part to their initial reluctance and some photo documentation. These current cases are less serious, and I haven't attempted playback yet, but still. Part of my reluctance is realizing how much of a first-world problem this is. So, any thoughts are very welcome.
I think they used to be better about replacing stuff, but policy has since changed. Last time I tried to exchange some scratched DVDs and I was sent a lengthy email basically saying the discs were probably still fine and to try the following methods to help them play (i.e. unless playback is clearly impacted, don't expect a replacement).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1319 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:16 pm

My copy of Virgin Suicides also had a thumbprint damaging the plastic and sleeve of that case. They asked for photos and after I emailed the pictures said they'd replace it minus the disc in two-four weeks.

hearthesilence

#1320 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:16 pm
My copy of Virgin Suicides also had a thumbprint damaging the plastic and sleeve of that case. They asked for photos and after I emailed the pictures said they'd replace it minus the disc in two-four weeks.
Cases they're much better about. I've had two that were slashed somehow (in the warehouse?) and they also replaced them (and the damaged inserts) in a similar manner.

therewillbeblus

#1321 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:27 pm

My World on a Wire blu-ray wouldn't play across about an hour of chapter stops on the second disc when I revisited the film earlier this year. There were no scratches on the blu-ray, and I had only watched the film once when I got it maybe five-six years earlier, never taking it out during that time. When I reached out about a replacement, they asked to see a picture of the disc/case to ensure I owned it, walked me through a cleaning process first, and once that didn't work, they replaced the disc no problem. There's definitely a process now, but I'd be surprised if they didn't issue replacements upon proof of ownership, and after efforts to check the boxes they are probably mandated to implement first as a sign of good will and collaboration.

Now I'm anxious to open my bundle from this last sale. Normally I wait until I watch a film to unwrap it, but this is not a surprise I want to encounter down the road.

hearthesilence

#1322 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:37 pm

I should add, I open all of my discs and check them the day they arrive. It's especially a good idea to do so now just because of their new policies, but years ago, I waited to open Army of Shadows which eventually fell out-of-print, and though the packaging and sticker clearly marked it as a Blu-ray, to my surprise it was a DVD. I forgot how I got it sorted out, but it wasn't easy and had I waited a few more months, the title would have fallen out-of-print and it would've been even tougher.

therewillbeblus

#1323 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Yeah I used to be more rigid around my own policy, but I've since resigned the desire to unwrap each disc like a present upon first watch (fun as it was), if only to check if features are really on the disc as advertised (i.e. Imprint's commentaries) or look for booklets damage (or existence at all), etc.

DeprongMori

#1324 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:08 pm

The copy of High Sierra I was sent from the Flash Sale had a visibly soiled cover underneath the shrink wrap with “Blu-ray” sticker. I was initially going to just ask for a replacement cover, but decided I better open it and check out the whole thing. Good thing I did, as the plastic sleeve that hold the cover in place was torn, and there were fingerprints on the disc surface. I’ve asked for a replacement for the whole thing. We’ll see how it goes.

therewillbeblus

#1325 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:39 pm

At this point I just check the disc itself for fingerprints/scratches. I used to ask for replacements for damaged packaging, but at a certain point it's not worth the hassle. The thing is gonna sit on my shelf and get worn as it is, though I am rather anal about the disc's cleanliness

Edit: Alright after all the 'older' releases I purchased showed no damage, and seeing a slew of reports about problems with the new ones, I've only opened all of my new releases and sure enough scratches and a thumbprint on two discs. We'll see about their playability- not something one should have to settle for, but these days I'm just too exhausted to pick many battles.