Severin Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
black&huge

Re: Severin Films

#301 Post by black&huge » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:02 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:54 pm
They also showed a teaser reel for 2022 and it appears that the mystery Argento title they have is Five Days of Milan.

Other 2022 titles teased Hard Rock Zombies, Caligula 2: The Untold Story and Black Demons.
Hard Rock Zombies is the one film out of every film ever made that needs top priority HD treatment. I am so happy about this. How Citizen Kane got a 4k before this even gets a blu ray? consider that a federal crime.

L.A.

#302 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:20 pm

Caligula 2: The Untold Story is something I have wanted to see for a long time. Has this ever gotten a decent release before? I can only guess the ancient German DVD from X-Rated Kult (in that oversized case) being uncut and including two different cuts(?).

Mr Sausage

#303 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:42 pm

L.A. wrote:Caligula 2: The Untold Story is something I have wanted to see for a long time. Has this ever gotten a decent release before? I can only guess the ancient German DVD from X-Rated Kult (in that oversized case) being uncut and including two different cuts(?).
Jesus, Joe D’amato and George Eastman ripping off Brass’ Caligula? This is going to be unwatchable, isn’t it?

MichaelB

#304 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:37 am

black&huge wrote:Hard Rock Zombies is the one film out of every film ever made that needs top priority HD treatment. I am so happy about this. How Citizen Kane got a 4k before this even gets a blu ray? consider that a federal crime.
Does Citizen Kane have a scene in which a woman picks up her boyfriend’s recently severed head and asks him if he’s OK? I think not.

(That’s literally the only thing I remember about it.)

Finch

#305 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:04 pm

Severin's Black Friday titles are:

House at the Edge of the Park [3-Disc Limited Edition Blu-ray w/Slipcover + CD Soundtrack] $38/Region Free
Night of the Demon [2-Disc Blu-ray w/Slipcover] $34/Region Free
Bloody Pit of Horror [Blu-ray w/Slipcover] $24/Region Free
Black Candles [Blu-ray] $23/Region Free
The Halfway House [Blu-ray] $20/Region Free
Ballad in Blood [Blu-ray w/Slipcover] $25/Region Free
The Forbidden Door [Blu-ray] $23/Region Free

PS.: the following titles will be 50% off.

The Dungeon of Andy Milligan Collection
The Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee
Perdita Durango
Day of the Beast
Nosferatu in Venice
A Scream in the Streets
Grizzly
Day of the Animals
Deep Blood
Santa Sangre

black&huge

#306 Post by black&huge » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Btw how are the films and the series in the Lee set? Overall midtier or just kinda all over the place in terms of his best and work?

Glowingwabbit

#307 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:33 pm

For those that were bummed about missing out on Blood on Satan's Claw they will have a limited amount of convention stock available during the sale (it won't be on sale itself though).

therewillbeblus

#308 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:51 pm

Is the Blood for Dracula UHD/blu-ray that shows a release date of Jan 2022 on Amazon, DeepDiscount, etc. another version of the LE, or a standard edition (and if the latter, what is omitted)? It seems to include all three discs (so I imagine this includes the CD) but I can't find info about a separate edition or the differences online anywhere

Adam X

#309 Post by Adam X » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:02 pm

therewillbeblus

#310 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Yeah, looks like it's all the same features with different packaging- Thanks!

Finch

#311 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:06 pm

black&huge wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:45 pm
Btw how are the films and the series in the Lee set? Overall midtier or just kinda all over the place in terms of his best and work?
trailersfromhell review of the set

dwk

#312 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:54 pm

February 's slate:
Caligula: The Untold Story
Caligula & Messalina
Stone

yoloswegmaster

#313 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:51 pm

Pre-order Link for 'Out of the Blue'"

Special Features:
Disc 1:

Audio Commentary With Director Dennis Hopper, Executive Producer Paul Lewis And Distributor John Alan Simon
Audio Commentary With Film Scholar Kate Rennenbohm
Audio Commentary With Film Writer Kat Ellinger
Gone But Not Forgotten — Remembering Linda Manz
Subverting Normality: Linda Manz Comes From Out Of The Blue — Video Essay By Amanda Reyes And Chris O’Neill
Terminal City Blues — Vancouver Onscreen In OUT OF THE BLUE
MAINSTREET SOLDIER — A Short Film by Leonard Yakir
Partial Commentary With Director Leonard Yakir On MAINSTREET SOLDIER
Restoration Trailer
Theatrical Trailer
Jack Nicholson Radio Spot

Disc 2:

Remembering OUT OF THE BLUE
Me & Dennis
Straight To Hell — Alex Cox Recalls OUT OF THE BLUE
Dealing With Demons — Brian Cox On Acting And Dennis Hopper
AFI Q&A With 4K Restoration Producers John Alan Simon And Elizabeth Karr

therewillbeblus

#314 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:35 pm

Any details on how this release compares to the BFI in terms of source print? The BFI's special features appear to be superior

cdnchris
Site Admin

#315 Post by cdnchris » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:15 pm

I'd have to assume they're using the same 4k restoration BFI uses, which looks great. But you know what they say about assuming things...

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#316 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:17 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:15 pm
I'd have to assume they're using the same 4k restoration BFI uses, which looks great. But you know what they say about assuming things...
Severin can be inconsistent on their encodes. That said, their Blood for Dracula release last year looked excellent, so perhaps they're getting better.

brundlefly

#317 Post by brundlefly » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:21 pm

Looks like the same Kickstarter-funded restoration used in the BFI and Potemkine. According to the comments page, the campaign creators are also responsible for a bunch of the supplements. Which explains why there's so much overlap.

Karr also says they continued to work on supplements after the BFI release, perhaps the Manz and Vancouver pieces. The Yakir short could be intriguing and is obviously related. May be worth weighing this against the BFI booklet and three hours of Hopper interviews and their curated shorts.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#318 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:54 pm

Yes, I participated in this Kickstarter and it's the same restoration team responsible for all three releases

Adam X

#319 Post by Adam X » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:01 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:35 pm
Any details on how this release compares to the BFI in terms of source print? The BFI's special features appear to be superior
The latest episode of Severin’s podcast discusses this release.

dwk

#320 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:21 pm

April's Blu-ray releases:
Mardi Gras Massacre
The Big Sleazy Jack Weis Double Feature: Crypt of Dark Secrets and Death Brings Roses
Hey, Stop Stabbing Me!

therewillbeblus

#321 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:02 pm

Hey, Stop Stabbing Me! is a great title for a slasher, which should be more self-aware as a general rule

yoloswegmaster

#322 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30 am

According to the latest Kickstarter update, Out of the Blue is now getting a 4K UHD release as well

dwk

#323 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:10 pm

Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum posted a scan of the Back of Severin's 2022 catalog that advertises The Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee Collection 2 and Jess Franco's Faceless

dwk

#324 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:57 pm

May's releases:
The Return of Captain Invincible
The Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee Collection 2: Uncle Was a Vampire. The Secret of the Red Orchid, Dark Places, Dracula and Son, & Murder Story (with bonus film Mask of Murder)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#325 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:05 pm

dwk wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:57 pm
May's releases:
The Return of Captain Invincible
Free advice: Don't let curiosity get the better of you here! My writeup from the 80s List
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm
the Return of Captain Invincible (Philippe Mora 1983) Here's a movie that embodies the textbook definition of something working on paper and not translating at all to the screen. The comic premise here is sound: Cast Alan Arkin as a superhero. That mismatch could indeed be hilarious. Now make him a washed up superhero from the Golden Age who must retrain to fight a modern menace in the form of Christopher Lee. Again, could be good fun. But this movie has too many ideas on a conceptual level and yet no ideas on how to follow through in practice. And so we get a bizarre slog of Arkin's drunk prepping for his American battle in Australia and, oh, did I forget to mention that twenty minutes in the film pulls the rug out and turns into a musical? And the first song is just the word "Bullshit" repeated over and over in rhythm to a funky beat? These numbers too are problematic: In theory, the only thing funnier than Alan Arkin as a superhero is Alan Arkin as a singing superhero. But the numbers other than the first two with MIchael Pate as the president are played straight and without much zest, with the only good song being Lee's humorous ode to alcoholism (penned by the Rocky Horror Picture Show scribes no less). This is a noble failure, but it's such a spectacular mess with no conceivable intended audience that I'm surprised it doesn't have a cult following (or, if it does, a larger one).