Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4726 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:43 pm

That's not Criterion's website. That the Janus Films site.

Bluray.com is using the touring poster as a placeholder. No guarantee that will be the bluray cover art.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#4727 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:08 pm

Bill Sienkiewicz just posted on Facebook that he’s working on an upcoming Criterion edition of Shaft.

Pavel

#4728 Post by Pavel » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:08 pm
Bill Sienkiewicz just posted on Facebook that he’s working on an upcoming Criterion edition of Shaft.
I've never seen the original Shaft (just the two Samuel L. Jackson films) but I have seen Shaft's Big Score, so it'd be cool if this release included that film (maybe even a set featuring Shaft in Africa)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4729 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:25 am

Gordon Parks did also direct that one. Warner Archive already put them all out in a three-fer

dwk

#4730 Post by dwk » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:12 am

Possible UHD?

yoloswegmaster

#4731 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:06 am

Is this the first title to be released by Criterion after receiving a WAC release?

FrauBlucher

#4732 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:15 am

Well, George Feltenstein said on the most recent The Extras podcast that releasing UHD titles is cost prohibitive for them at this point. So look for Criterion to pick up WAC titles that they can release on UHD.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#4733 Post by Ribs » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:15 am

Yes (on Blu, anyway) though an important caveat is that the WAC release was only in the three pack and it was the original WHV disc that WAC simply rereleased, so it’s more of a tier with like, the Big Parade or Mutiny on the Bounty then Hudsucker Proxy or anything WAC did itself. I’m not sure any of those titles particularly seem like something Criterion would jump at except maybe What’s Up Doc though that only very recently got its rerelease.

Robert Chipeska

#4734 Post by Robert Chipeska » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:41 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:31 pm
Happiness was quite scandalous when it came out. I don't see any way in which it has "aged poorly" for our current cultural moment. There are no scenes that you would watch today and say "oof, what were we thinking passing this off as entertainment in the '90s?" It was then and plays still as a provocation with important things to say about what we value in life. Anyone who doesn't release it is a coward
Surprised "Our Man in Havana" Yoloswegmaster2525 hasn't already reposted this from the blu-ray.com boards, but:

https://www.maddygtv.com/happiness

Legit or a sticky bootleg, who knows?

Calvin

#4735 Post by Calvin » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:54 pm

I'm surprised that Criterion haven't yet broken out The Last Picture Show from the BBS set but hopefully, in light of Bogdanovich's death, they prioritise a release of that and Texasville.

therewillbeblus

#4736 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:14 pm

I thought they were intending to break up the set when it was going/expected to go OOP due to Head's rights, but it remained in print after all(?) so maybe that's why plans for a release halted? I never saw any other reason for the delay- especially since it would be an easy title to unload as no. 5 in a busy month, as the others didn't have new transfers or extras and (I believe) reprinted essays from the big set...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4737 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:24 pm

Robert Chipeska wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:41 pm

Huh. Found this review on Reddit:
Just got it and tested it. It's not quite HD. Looks almost like a HDrip put on a disc, or an upscaled DVD. It's certainly watchable. No subtitles are included. Still glad I bought it.
Also apparently a BD-R. The original DVD is really weak and non-anamorphic though, so this may still be worth upgrading. Classy-looking outfit too, this maddygtv

Calvin

#4738 Post by Calvin » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:30 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:14 pm
I thought they were intending to break up the set when it was going/expected to go OOP due to Head's rights, but it remained in print after all(?) so maybe that's why plans for a release halted? I never saw any other reason for the delay- especially since it would be an easy title to unload as no. 5 in a busy month, as the others didn't have new transfers or extras and (I believe) reprinted essays from the big set...
I wonder if they were intending on releasing it as another set with Texasville rather than a standalone at all, which may have been the hold up.

It would be nice to get more extras than what were on the BBS set as well; I'm particularly surprised that they didn't include the theatrical cut on their first go - while the director's cut may be superior, the theatrical cut is the one that got eight Oscar nominations and is in the National Film Registry.

dustybooks

#4739 Post by dustybooks » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 pm

The theatrical cut hasn’t been available since the laserdisc era so it would certainly be an interesting addition for those of us who love the film but have never gotten to see it.

FrauBlucher

#4740 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:53 pm

I guess we'll probably have announcements tomorrow. Monday is a Holiday.

criterionsnob

#4741 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:08 pm

Just finished listening to the latest Dead Pixel podcast. I don’t think it’s been reported here, but in the last few seconds of the podcast, Lee Kline mentions a title coming up in the next few months that involves Ed Lachman. I guess that’s probably Mississippi Masala.

Robert Chipeska

#4742 Post by Robert Chipeska » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:08 pm
Just finished listening to the latest Dead Pixel podcast. I don’t think it’s been reported here, but in the last few seconds of the podcast, Lee Kline mentions a title coming up in the next few months that involves Ed Lachman. I guess that’s probably Mississippi Masala.
Ken Park or GTFO

FrauBlucher

#4743 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:58 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:08 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:43 pm
Mira Nair's Twitter feed
Promise you, my dears, Janus and Criterion are releasing Mississippi Masala this coming spring 2022. Here’s to a happy and hit new year 🙏🏽♥️🎥👏🏽👏🏽

ryannichols7

#4744 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:05 am

it's certainly Mississippi Masala, and as exciting as that is, I can only imagine the spontaneous combustion if it ended up being one of this board's most long requested titles, The Limey

Matt

#4745 Post by Matt » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 pm

With High Sierra crowned the top 2021 Criterion release and Colorado Territory the best bonus film in The Only Poll That Matters™, I hereby call upon Criterion to get to stepping on releasing the Raoul Walsh film The Strawberry Blonde. Who could resist:

Director: Raoul Walsh
Screenwriters: Julius J. and Philip G. Epstein (Casablanca)
Cinematographer: James Wong Howe (Hud, Seconds)
Cast: James Cagney (The Public Enemy, Yankee Doodle Dandy, White Heat) in a rare romantic comedy
Olivia De Havilland (The Heiress, The Snake Pit, Gone with the Wind, The Adventures of Robin Hood)
Rita Hayworth (Gilda, The Lady from Shanghai, Cover Girl)

and you could again include an unrestored 4K scan of a Walsh color remake: One Sunday Afternoon from 1948 with Dennis Morgan and (the still living) Janis Paige

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#4746 Post by Omensetter » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:23 pm

Oh gosh, I wish. That's the direction I thought they were going in when it was known they were to release a Walsh. Frankly, I'm still holding out hope that they'll get the keys to a major Minnelli, of which it would seem to have to be The Clock at this point.

bad future

#4747 Post by bad future » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:34 pm

Omensetter wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:23 pm
Oh gosh, I wish. That's the direction I thought they were going in when it was known they were to release a Walsh. Frankly, I'm still holding out hope that they'll get the keys to a major Minnelli, of which it would seem to have to be The Clock at this point.
I know Warner catalog titles often appear in HD digitally in advance of a Warner Archive BD release, but does anyone know if that tends to hold true when Criterion has one? (Wish I had thought to take note of Bringing Up Baby's digital availability before that was announced.) Asking because I feel like I check on The Clock about every 2 or 3 months, and it seems to still be SD-only... I'd be ecstatic if Criterion dropped that one unexpectedly.

Pavel

#4748 Post by Pavel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 am

Stuff like Toni and Devi were SD-only on the Channel until the Blu came out, so I think that doesn't necessarily rule out The Clock (though I think the Renoir and the Ray were Janus-owned)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4749 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:18 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:24 pm
Robert Chipeska wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:41 pm

Huh. Found this review on Reddit:
Just got it and tested it. It's not quite HD. Looks almost like a HDrip put on a disc, or an upscaled DVD. It's certainly watchable. No subtitles are included. Still glad I bought it.
Also apparently a BD-R. The original DVD is really weak and non-anamorphic though, so this may still be worth upgrading. Classy-looking outfit too, this maddygtv
I bought and sampled this and would go as far as saying that, compared to zooming in the non-anamorphic DVD, this BD-R presents maybe a 2% better viewing experience. (Motion looked a little less smeary but the picture is still digital garbage.) I say the DVD edges this release out because it has the awesome original poster art on the cover. That's how sad this Blu-ray is

yoloswegmaster

#4750 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:23 am

The webpage for 'For All Mankind' has now been updated to add new screenshots, as well as a scene from the film. They only add new screenshots to a page when it's going to be upgraded, so expect this to be a 4K release.