Awards Season 2021

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Awards Season 2021

#101 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:05 pm

Pavel wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 pm
So the new frontrunner is Nicole Kidman, right?
I would think Lady Gaga, actually, though I’m still holding out hope that the Academy rights the ship for Stewart

Matt

Awards Season 2021

#102 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:11 pm

swo17 wrote:Do people resent her for springboarding her career with the Twilight films?
I think they resent her for doing so and bad-mouthing the films afterwards once she started making “art” films (“so ungrateful!)

I also think there’s a good deal of sexism involved in why women are vilified for this (“difficult; ungrateful”) while men, like Joaquin Phoenix, are praised (“dedicated to his craft”), and it’s been like this forever.

Lady Gaga will never win a SAG or an acting Oscar, she’s an interloper.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#103 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:38 pm

My understanding is that no one has worked harder than Kidman this awards season. She’s reportedly been hosting countless Zoom calls with voting members of the various award bodies, and voters have always liked and rewarded special treatment. Not a guarantee of a win in a larger voting body like the Oscars, but definitely enough to get a seat at the table

Stewart is seen as someone who doesn’t play the game. Sometimes the Academy rewards people who don’t want it (or pretend not to, at least), like Mo’nique or George C Scott. But I don’t know that Stewart’s performance is widely respected enough to get across the finish line— it’s been reported that the industry didn’t like the film nearly as much as critics, and the SAG snub may be further evidence of that

hearthesilence

#104 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:41 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:50 am
How is it not surprising? Unless I missed the memo the SAGs aren’t based on an audience rotten tomatometer- even those who loathe the film have been quick to praise Stewart’s perf, she’s well-liked and respected within the industry, and she’s playing beloved Princess Diana in a biopic of sorts. All green lights here..
Brian already said it best:
Brian C wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:00 pm
My impression has always been that a lot of people simply think she sucks at acting. I don’t have strong feelings about her one way or the other, but there’s a lot of hostility to her out in the world and it would be weird if that didn’t carry over to her peers to some degree.

therewillbeblus

#105 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:44 pm

I am reading the thread, thanks

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#106 Post by lacritfan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:45 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#107 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:55 pm

The Gomez, Martin, and Short trio seems to be a popular but somewhat unusual suggestion, so I imagine the Academy leaked it to float responses beforehand

felipe

#108 Post by felipe » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:30 pm

About Stewart, I'm not even sure her Hollywood peers take her seriously as an actress. Sure, she's been critically acclaimed for some art films that the general public has never heard about, but I think for most people she's the Twilight actress. Her name is most often brought up when it's other actresses and comedian making fun/impersonating her awkward persona.

Black Hat

#109 Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Brian C wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:00 pm
swo17 wrote:Do people resent her for springboarding her career with the Twilight films?
My impression has always been that a lot of people simply think she sucks at acting. I don’t have strong feelings about her one way or the other, but there’s a lot of hostility to her out in the world and it would be weird if that didn’t carry over to her peers to some degree.
Not to mention her films haven't exactly lit the box office on fire.

hearthesilence

#110 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:11 pm

I feel like Robert Pattinson has been subjected to a similar bias against him - it could be a Twilight bias compounded by the fact that both admirably chose to focus on art films for a long stretch. When Pattinson was cast as Batman (which I don't hold against him - he had a good run of arthouse fare that wasn't exactly glamorous high-paid work) it was apparent he had a lot of skeptics who willfully ignored arthouse fare, arguing that he "hadn't done anything" since Twilight. Regardless, both him and Stewart already won me over with their dedication, the kind of thing you'd see from performers like Deneuve, Delon, Binoche et al who focused on the best directors and projects to build up an impressive film legacy.

therewillbeblus

#111 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 am

Are these impressions based on passerby/internet backlash in our own peripheries, or from evidence of perspectives from those in the industry? I certainly noticed that Twilight-bias early on for both Stewart and Pattinson as they started to get serious, but same with Gyllenhaal and Efron etc etc, and I've experienced (both from those around me and my impressions from those in the industry, from what little I can observe from interviews etc) that most people are willing to be elastic in judgments and appreciate skillsets revealing themselves against previous scoffing. I find it very cynical to assume that the Hollywood circle is collectively branding an artist with a scarlet letter regardless of talent and artistic mobility, not to mention something I just don't believe. Some people have chips on their shoulders but I think that's usually an individualized problem rather than a collective one these days, with plenty of people wanting to change their stances and see development in their peers. Also, it's not like this is a new thing- plenty of our modern 'serious' actors got their feet wet in "embarrassing" work, i.e. stupid sex comedies in the 80s, so if someone struggles to 'remember when' that's on them, and humility in consciously and vocally valued, even if not always practiced, in these communities

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#112 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:34 pm

The SAG snub shows how Stewart is seen by her peers in the industry. It’s hard to spin it any other way. Like when Jim Carrey tried to go serious, some people in the industry can’t get over their initial biases

therewillbeblus

#113 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:42 pm

I guess I’m confused on how much of the SAG voting body represents Stewart’s “peers”- my only anecdotal experience of a SAG voting member is my friend’s 95-y/o grandma who isn’t in the industry but did some charity work or something around the NYC art scene after retirement. Either way it’s a bummer

Jack Kubrick

#114 Post by Jack Kubrick » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:34 pm
The SAG snub shows how Stewart is seen by her peers in the industry. It’s hard to spin it any other way. Like when Jim Carrey tried to go serious, some people in the industry can’t get over their initial biases
Same with the award snubs for Adam Sandler and Jennifer Lopez in 2020. There is certain industry biases for actors who work in popular faire that will never get the recognition even if they were giving it all.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#115 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:56 pm

Lopez is a great parallel, as like Stewart she was widely seen as the eventual Oscar winner before not even getting nominated (which is now a possibility with Stewart)

Black Hat

#116 Post by Black Hat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:42 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:11 pm
I feel like Robert Pattinson has been subjected to a similar bias against him.
The difference is he's an incredibly down-to-earth, well-liked, chill dude. The story of his GQ cover is a good example.

felipe

#117 Post by felipe » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:56 pm
Lopez is a great parallel, as like Stewart she was widely seen as the eventual Oscar winner before not even getting nominated (which is now a possibility with Stewart)
True. Many had Lopez as the winner that year before she failed to get a nomination.

By the way, nobody is talking about it but I was surprised to see Rachel Zegler getting snubbed. I assumed she was a sure nod.

Pavel

#118 Post by Pavel » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 pm

The ASC noms for Best Cinematography. Pretty big miss for West Side Story, though I'm pleased Nightmare Alley got in. Both of those getting Oscar noms (at the expense of Belfast) would be great

Calvin

#119 Post by Calvin » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:16 am

César nominations

Xavier Giannoli's Lost Illusions leads with what looks to be a record-breaking 15 nominations. Titane doesn't make it into Best Picture and Vincent Lindon is absent as well.

Pavel

#120 Post by Pavel » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:59 am

Calvin wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:16 am
César nominations

Xavier Giannoli's Lost Illusions leads with what looks to be a record-breaking 15 nominations. Titane doesn't make it into Best Picture and Vincent Lindon is absent as well.
Lost Illusions is fine, but the two supporting actor noms instead of Lindon are pretty crazy (and I didn't even really like Titane). BAC Nord also did pretty well here, though I found it rather unremarkable. I can understand the noms for Annette and Happening even though they didn't really work for me. I missed some of these films at festivals like De son vivant and the Audiard and I plan to catch-up with a couple more soon, but altogether a decent enough set of nominations

Matt

#121 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:35 pm

Calvin wrote:Xavier Giannoli's Lost Illusions leads with what looks to be a record-breaking 15 nominations.
Is it any good (or worth watching at least)? Pretty boys in 19th century dress is like catnip to me, but this also seems to have the golden hues, fluttering fans, and long running time typical of César-bait.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#122 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 pm

Music Box will be releasing it later this year, so they must have seen something in it to suggest wider appeal here

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#123 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 pm

These PGA nominations are pretty grim

Pavel

#124 Post by Pavel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:15 pm

The ACE Eddie noms for Best Editing. Big miss for West Side Story and in it's place... No Time to Die. If it had also gotten a PGA nom, it would've had a pretty convincing case for being the 10th BP Oscar slot

Pavel

#125 Post by Pavel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 pm

WGA noms. As always, lots of stuff wasn't eligible