Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Ribs

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#751 Post by Ribs » Mon May 30, 2022 12:56 pm

$5 off voucher (one use only, $20 min): halfway5

Assuming you’ve already placed an order, they have a “add to order” option so you don’t need to pay for shipping again. If you use this code they’ll send an additional code for $10 off for next month’s partner only line-up. (And you can’t cancel orders to replace with this code)

I was absolutely beyond done but this got me to add Sister, Sister for not quite the price it’ll be at it in November but close enough to tide me over.

Something I didn’t realize when I ordered Cloak and Dagger a few weeks ago is that in addition to it being a lower price before the sale (which I knew!) is that you could get free shipping by meeting their minimums they have in place the rest of the year which are not usually in place for the sale, and just adding to existing order for the actual sale orders. So that effectively adds net $6 savings automatically.

As is very clear from them selling 10,000 copies of a $60 box set dedicated to one film that had only recently recieved a directly competitive release, they’ve definitely figured out how to get people excited to buy, this late coupon code an additional example of it!

Glowingwabbit

#752 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon May 30, 2022 2:50 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 am
pianocrash wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 2:43 am
Otherwise, the AGFA releases (a majority of which are being reissued within the next year, some with upgrades)
Do we have any details about this? It's the first I'm hearing of it.
AGFA stated late last year on Facebook/Twitter that they would be doing reissues of their OOP titles (minus SATANIS) with slipcovers and potential new content (about 3-4 a year). 2022 is the following: WICKED WORLD (just rereleased); BAT PUSSY from a new restoration; SATAN'S CHILDREN (w/o Satanis)

therewillbeblus

#753 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 31, 2022 6:03 pm

To my surprise, I thought Flesheaters was a lot of fun- definitely one of the better awfully-trashy, low-budget, poorly-acted and written zombie flicks I've seen. The pace and structure is strangely offbeat- where a gruesome kill occurs at enough of a rate to keep one invested but the film's narrative pivots in a loose form and stalls on shamelessly banal T&A exhibitions with characters who haven't been introduced yet without any death payoff to eclipse the left-field presentation. None of the way this moves in its trajectory really makes any sense, though that's kind of what I loved about it- the filmmakers themselves just forsake any care whatsoever in a skeleton of plot to account for whatever mood they were in to shoot what they wanted to that day. As plainly bad as the film is, there are some clever gags, like how absurdly contrasted tones are between the silly and unapologetically violent one-two punchlines in a scene where a little girl answers the door on Halloween night to find the initial giant zombie at the step. This is basically like Romero's Dawn of the Dead if made on a budget the size of Night of the Living Dead and without a central focal point to drive its thematic or narrative or character interests, because it has none.

therewillbeblus

#754 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:26 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:56 am
SpoilerShow
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:43 am
Also, cool spoiler in the art, VS Bro
It's not actually a spoiler until you say that. On that note, I guess I don't remember the movie well enough to know what it could be spoiling.
I literally just watched this today and have no idea what the spoiler is after scanning the cover for several minutes

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#755 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:36 pm

He answered that on the top of the page following the quoted post

therewillbeblus

#756 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 pm

Gotcha, I see that now. That's what I figured the reference was but
SpoilerShow
there's nothing in their demeanor to signify their duplicity- and before the reveal, it appears that the old couple are going to potentially be fun supportive allies on the opposite end of the age spectrum (I kinda wish the film took this trajectory- for while I figured they were going to be left-field villains once we got into the car, there was a promising dynamic brewing with the elderly woman acting atypically hip for her age in aiding the kid just before). I guess what I'm saying is that it works to feature them prominently on the cover because the lead-up to their inclusion in the narrative raises no red flags, and since the film is a continual movement through setpieces accruing the involvement of new characters into the plot on the fly, it's fitting to passively wonder when so-and-so will come in. I mean, the central pic is the dad emerging from the fire at the very end, but I wouldn't call the existence of an explosion to be a spoiler!

criterionsnob

#757 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:53 pm

Perhaps a sneak preview of tomorrow's announcement from Canadian International Pictures?
SpoilerShow
Forbidden Love (1992)

yoloswegmaster

#758 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:16 pm

Partner Titles for June are up:

Air Doll (Dekanalog)
Apocalypse After (Altered Innocence)
Final Flesh (AGFA + Drag City)
Forbidden Love (Canadian International Pictures)
Je Brule de Partout (Pulse Video - WARNING: Very NSFW cover)
Night Ripper (Culture Shock)
Out of Order 4K UHD (Subkultur USA)
Poly Styrene: I Am a Cliche (Utopia)
Potato Dreams of America (Dark Star)
Red Lips (Saturn's Core)
Superior (Factory 25)

Grand Wazoo

#759 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:22 pm

Also perhaps the most exciting release of the year, The Time Bending Mysteries of Shahram Mokri

agnamaracs

#760 Post by agnamaracs » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:35 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:16 pm
Apocalypse After (Altered Innocence)
This also came out from Mondo Macabro. Also, in what I think is a VinSyn/OCN first, they only printed 500 of the limited slipcover.
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:16 pm
Je Brule de Partout (Pulse Video - WARNING: Very NSFW cover)
Pulse Video is synonymous with NSFW.
Grand Wazoo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:22 pm
Also perhaps the most exciting release of the year, The Time Bending Mysteries of Shahram Mokri
From Deaf Crocodile who are getting more and more interesting.

Grand Wazoo

#761 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:47 pm

For the Jess Franco fans who catch his movies like pokemon, the site exclusive Je Brule de Partout is already down to 400 copies and won't have a standard edition or be re-pressed.

Glowingwabbit

#762 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:04 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:40 pm
That Mokri release would be vital even if it only presented Fish & Cat in a watchable transfer. Careless Crime is also brilliant and I'm looking forward to catching up with the other two.

For those that earned it, the $10 coupon doesn't take effect until the 10th, but Ilya Muromets is already down to less than 50 copies. I'm hoping it works for me to place a partial order now including both low stock items and pre-orders, and then add to it next week once the code is active
No, adding to an order is only available during the sale and to subscribers

therewillbeblus

#763 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:26 pm

Where/when did you guys get your $10 coupons? I can't find mine in any emails and I used the $5 code during the last sale

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like we won't get them emailed for another week. But can we expect it to work on pre-orders (i.e. the already significantly discounted Shahram Mokri set)?

agnamaracs

#764 Post by agnamaracs » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:32 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:47 pm
For the Jess Franco fans who catch his movies like pokemon, the site exclusive Je Brule de Partout is already down to 400 copies and won't have a standard edition or be re-pressed.
I wonder if this is an indicator of how well the upcoming Red Lips release will do.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#765 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:38 pm

OK, so if you're planning to buy enough stuff, the optimal strategy is:

1. Place an order now for at least $75 (to qualify for free shipping) that includes any low stock items.
2. Place another order for at least $75 on or after June 10 with the $10 code.

Glowingwabbit

#766 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:40 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:26 pm
But can we expect it to work on pre-orders (i.e. the already significantly discounted Shahram Mokri set)?
Yeah it will work.

denti alligator

#767 Post by denti alligator » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:27 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:22 pm
Tell me about it! I mean that for real—I have only caught some chatter on him. Worth blind buying?

Any of the 4K partner titles essential? I’m tempted by Out of Order.

Adam X

#768 Post by Adam X » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:59 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:04 pm
No, adding to an order is only available during the sale and to subscribers
Outside of their twice-yearly sale you can email them to add items to an order.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#769 Post by Omensetter » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:04 am

Yes—zedz's endorsement of Fish and Cat years ago prompted me to purchase this (alongside the Radu Jude film), with Kiarostami's endorsement making this all the more the no-brainer. I'm glad I remembered to click on the Vinegar Syndrome thread for once!

zedz

#770 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:52 pm
zedz has been a vocal supporter of Fish and Cat for years, but I hope someone tells him about this because I wouldn’t blame him for never opening this thread!
Yes, I was alerted by swo.

I can also recommend Forbidden Love from the new batch of titles. The "pulp novel cover" visual thread is a bit gimmicky, but the heart of the documentary - reminiscences about the "bad old days" from Canadian lesbians - is pure gold. It looks like it has a very impressive range of extras as well.

therewillbeblus

#771 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:28 pm

Has anyone seen any of the films in The Other French New Wave Vol. 1 set to either recommend or not?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#772 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:58 pm

I'll be getting it on the strength of Cat in the Bag, haven't seen the others

Glowingwabbit

#773 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:10 pm

Just a heads up that they are finally beginning to charge sales tax to states that collect it.

therewillbeblus

#774 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:29 pm

zedz wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 pm
I can also recommend Forbidden Love from the new batch of titles. The "pulp novel cover" visual thread is a bit gimmicky, but the heart of the documentary - reminiscences about the "bad old days" from Canadian lesbians - is pure gold. It looks like it has a very impressive range of extras as well.
Thanks for the rec, this was fantastic. The "heart of the doc" you're talking about is practically the whole shebang, and it's an incredibly insightful, dramatic, funny collage of digestible anecdotes. Light and heavy tones are edited with equal measure in a way that feels wholeheartedly organic, and the film repurposes the resilient defense mechanism of sublimating oppressive experiences with humor into a no-filter approach that is very endearing and effectively sentimental in brief but powerful doses amidst the natural, humanistic entertainment. Very rewatchable too- I'll be picking this up ASAP

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#775 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:31 pm

If you'd like to see Elina Löwensohn (from Hal Hartley's Amateur) in a bunch of weird shorts in the vein of Borowczyk/Quays/Jarman/Strickland/Maddin, I recommend the Apocalypse After pre-release that is already half sold-out. These are by Bertrand Mandico, whose Les Garçons sauvages topped Cahiers' top 10 list for 2018