New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Mr Sausage

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#751 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:10 pm

I didn't see the point until I read this line: "[it] is intended to reignite Night of the Living Dead as a franchise". So that's it. They want their own cinematic universe. Seems unnecessary--horror is one of the few things that remains consistently profitable without needing a larger IP umbrella. People will even go see 2.5 hour sequels to indie horror films they've never heard of (ie. Terrifier 2).

Stefan Andersson

#752 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:54 pm

News:
https://www.fotogramas.es/noticias-cine ... -los-ojos/
https://www.20minutos.es/cinemania/noti ... 3-5083780/

Off-topic but interesting for Erice aficionados -- texts about Erice´s screenplay "La promesa de Shanghai", written in the late Nineties, based on the novel Shanghai Nights by Juan Marsé; the project was abandoned:
http://braidednarrative.com/wp-content/ ... -essay.pdf
https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ontext=etd
https://www.revistadelibros.com/la-prom ... tor-erice/
https://riunet.upv.es/bitstream/handle/ ... sequence=4

Erice published the screenplay in Spanish in 2001: La promesa de Shanghai, Plaza & Janés (Areté), Barcelona, 398 p.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#753 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:37 am

colinr0380

#754 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:38 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:28 pm
Elizabeth Banks directed a thriller called Cocaine Bear, inspired by true events that took place in 1985 Kentucky, during which a 175-pound black bear ingested 88 pounds of pure cocaine and went on a murderous rampage. A star-studded cast includes Keri Russell, Margo Martindale, Alden Ehrenreich, O’Shea Jackson Jr., and the late Ray Liotta
OK, that sounds a lot more interesting than Pitch Perfect 2.
And here's the trailer.

thirtyframesasecond

#757 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:16 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:38 pm
thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:28 pm
Elizabeth Banks directed a thriller called Cocaine Bear, inspired by true events that took place in 1985 Kentucky, during which a 175-pound black bear ingested 88 pounds of pure cocaine and went on a murderous rampage. A star-studded cast includes Keri Russell, Margo Martindale, Alden Ehrenreich, O’Shea Jackson Jr., and the late Ray Liotta
OK, that sounds a lot more interesting than Pitch Perfect 2.
And here's the trailer.
Cocaine Bear was good fun, particularly if you're watching with an audience that goes along with the sheer ludicrousness of the film. There isn't much to explain really as the title tells you all you need to know. It's completely absurd and the cast play it pretty seriously, and at just over 90 mins, it moves at a fair lick too. Not sure I'd rewatch at home, but chalk it down as a fine cinema experience.

colinr0380

#758 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:29 pm

As long as Cocaine Bear is at least as good as Grizzly Rage I will be happy.

The Narrator Returns

#759 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:28 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:49 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:48 am
Don't know how I missed this, but Brady Corbet is in pre-production on his next film, titled The Brutalist, with a terrific cast including Joel Edgerton, Marion Cotillard, Mark Rylance, Sebastian Stan, Issach De Bankolé, Vanessa Kirby, Alessandro Nivola, as well as Vox Lux's Raffey Cassidy and Stacy Martin.
Any word on if this project is still happening? It still reads as in pre-production online with no updates since 2020, and I have to imagine this cast isn't going to wait around forever...
The agency representing Lol Crawley (Corbet's DP) posted a news item about it adding crew members a week ago, with at least the top three of Edgerton, Cotillard, and Rylance still being attached.

EDIT: The CV of the newly-hired costume designer doesn't list Edgerton but has Cotillard, Rylance, and Kirby, plus Adrien Brody and Felicity Jones.

therewillbeblus

#760 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:03 pm

Well that's the least brutal news of the day, thanks!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#762 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:09 pm

yoloswegmaster

#763 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:57 pm

Cineuropa is reporting that Mati Diop's next film is a documentary about the return of the royal treasures of Abomey in Benin, snatched away by colonial plunder, to a country that has had to build itself up and come to terms with their absence.

therewillbeblus

#764 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:28 pm

Ari Aster apparently has two films in development. A few days ago, he said his next film would likely be a "western."

But then, he also has Acting Class in development with Emma Stone, Christopher Abbott, and potentially Joaquin Phoenix in talks for roles (Stone is likely a lock for a working relationship, having moderating a Q&A with Aster the other day, and she and Abbott have been spotted with him in the wild - plus they've been rumored as attached to this project for several months now). It'll be an adaptation of Nick Drnaso’s novel, with the following synopsis:
Ten strangers are brought together under the tutelage of John Smith, a mysterious and morally questionable leader. The group of social misfits and restless searchers have one thing in common: they are out of step with their surroundings and desperate for change. A husband and wife, four years into their marriage and simmering in boredom. A single mother, her young son showing disturbing signs of mental instability. A peculiar woman with few if any friends and only her menial job keeping her grounded. A figure model, comfortable in his body and ready for a creative challenge. A worried grandmother and her adult granddaughter; a hulking laborer and gym nut; a physical therapist; an ex-con. With thrumming unease, the class sinks deeper into their lessons as the process demands increasing devotion. When the line between real life and imagination begins to blur, the group’s deepest fears and desires are laid bare.

bdsweeney

#765 Post by bdsweeney » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:56 pm

It looks like the fashion house Saint Laurent is launching a film production outlet. Already announced colaborators include David Cronenberg, Abel Ferrara, Jim Jarmusch, Gaspar Noé, Paolo Sorrentino and Pedro Almodóvar. Saint Laurent Launches Production Banner With Cannes-Bound Movies by Pedro Almodóvar, David Cronenberg’s New Film

therewillbeblus

#766 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:31 pm

A lot if not all of these artists have already directed ads/shorts for them over the last few years

Big Ben

#767 Post by Big Ben » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:51 pm

John Hillcoat is adapting Blood Meridian. Yes, that Blood Meridian. This will be nuts if he can actually pull this off.

willoneill

#768 Post by willoneill » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:59 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:51 pm
John Hillcoat is adapting Blood Meridian. Yes, that Blood Meridian. This will be nuts if he can actually pull this off.
Blood Meridian is one of those films that’s been announced enough times that I refuse to believe the news until I see a trailer.

therewillbeblus

#769 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:02 pm

We read this instead of No Country for Old Men in a Western film studies class in college as supplementary reading for revisionist westerns, and I'll never forget devoting half a class to discussing the crucial element of casting for the Judge to make the film version successful. My teacher advocated for John Malkovich and I haven't been able to get the idea out of my mind since

flyonthewall2983

#770 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:05 pm

Tom Noonan. I’ve only just started the novel but that’s who came to mind.

Mr Sausage

#771 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:18 pm

Cameron Britton from Mindhunter.

flyonthewall2983

#772 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:20 pm

oh that’s good
Connie Nielsen returns. Interesting that Spencer Treat Clark isn’t reprising his role, as he’s still a working actor.

Finch

#773 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:46 pm

For Blood Meridian, I always wanted to see Ian MacShane as the judge but Noonan would look and sound the part too. I like The Proposition but I didn't care for The Road. I kinda wish Lynne Ramsay was directing it instead because I believe she expressed interest at some point.

therewillbeblus

#774 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:09 pm

Not thrilled with Hillcoat at the helm either. I'm not sure MacShane possesses the natural temperament the role requires, which to me is not only elasticity in performance but a chilling unreadable, intangible disposition. MacShane's smile inherently channels menace- he's a pretty defined emotional performer, so that tangibility destroys a lot of the power the character possesses that makes them so unnerving. He's not quite Klaus Kinski, but he's closer to him than the abstract horror the part demands. Noonan is a great choice, and Cameron Britton is inspired too

Finch

#775 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:06 pm

That's a fair argument against McShane. I'm struggling a little to see Malkovich in the role.