The Pursuit of Happyness (Gabriele Muccino, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
obloquy

#1 Post by obloquy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:58 pm

Any theories about the title of this movie? "Happyness?" Am I ignorant of some meaningful reference?

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:24 pm

Wikipedia wrote:The word "Happyness" in the title has been taken from the misspelling of "Fun Joy Happyness" on a mural children have painted on the Chinatown daycare center where Chris Gardner takes his son, Christopher. When Chris points out the mistake, Mrs. Chu replies that it is not important to the pre-schoolers how the word is spelled, only that they have happiness. This leads Chris to contemplate the inclusion of the concept of the individual's right to "pursuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, and how to pursue a happier, more emotionally secure childhood for his son, than his own had been.

davebert

#3 Post by davebert » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:04 pm

And I'm sure it will warm the shit out our hearts.

Travis

#4 Post by Travis » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:33 pm

I can hardly wait for all the comparisons of Will Smith to Jimmy Stewart.

obloquy

#5 Post by obloquy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:15 am

Nice research, Matt. If there were currently a poll for worst movie titles, this would get my vote.

brownbunny

#6 Post by brownbunny » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:14 am

come now, who could possibly revile such an infantalized word as "happyness." i think it's positively peeseful.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:42 am

Matt wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The word "Happyness" in the title has been taken from the misspelling of "Fun Joy Happyness" on a mural children have painted on the Chinatown daycare center where Chris Gardner takes his son, Christopher. When Chris points out the mistake, Mrs. Chu replies that it is not important to the pre-schoolers how the word is spelled, only that they have happiness. This leads Chris to contemplate the inclusion of the concept of the individual's right to "pursuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, and how to pursue a happier, more emotionally secure childhood for his son, than his own had been.
this literally makes me want to vomit

marty

#8 Post by marty » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:52 pm

I saw this film last night and thought it was pretty good and better than what I thought it would be. Many reviewers are claiming this as Will Smith's best performance but the only other credible performances he has given was in Ali and Six Degrees of Separation. Having said that, he is terrific in this film.

I liked the way the film never felt rushed. This is probably due to its Italian director, Gabriele Muccino (The Last Kiss, Remember Me). It had a lesser Hollywood feel about it. I overheard a few people in the foyer after the film commenting how slow the film was. Given Will Smith is the star of the film, many would have anticipated a much funnier and more commercial film, I think. The film didn't have the over-sentimental and sloppy moments I was expecting and this is largely due to the director just controlling the emotions and knowing when enough is enough. I was waiting for the ending to be this hugely manipulative moment when he finally gets his break in life but it was more sedate than what I was expecting and the film ends in a quiet and beautiful way.

Michael

#9 Post by Michael » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:33 am

God, I could NOT sit through this film. It's honestly got to be one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Belmondo

#10 Post by Belmondo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:04 pm

Michael wrote:God, I could NOT sit through this film. It's honestly got to be one of the worst things I've ever seen.

And that's pretty much all you need to know. I wanted desperately to like this movie because the story is true and it proceeds completely without regard to race - the characters are black but the issue of race is never raised and we actually have a movie that "talks up" to the audience by showing a common humanity to the characters - let's have a lot more of this. Unfortunately, the movie is merely unsettling and depressing where it should be inspiring. All of us have seen movies with depressing subject matter that result in thoughtful and rewarding moviegoing experiences. This ain't one of them.