Page 264 of 266
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2026 7:02 pm
by hearthesilence
I saw the 35mm print screened at Lincoln Center's excellent Lancaster retrospective a decade ago - it looked great but unfortunately I don't remember it beyond that broad assessment. If it was shot full-frame/academy and cropped for 1.66:1, I would be curious to see it in academy just to see how it improves the picture quality as it would mean packing more image capture (or grain density or whatever the appropriate term would be) into the same window of pixels. I vaguely recall Kino's original Blu-ray looking a bit soft, but that could have a lot to do with the encode rather than what was scanned.
Anyway, I think the film's fine but it's absolutely worth seeing for Lancaster, who deserved the Oscar he won for it. His career is full of wonderful performances, but this one could be his best.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2026 7:26 pm
by domino harvey
I’ll go you a couple better, I think all four main characters give Oscar worthy perfs (and Shirley Jones at least also won, even if Jean Simmons and Arthur Kennedy were shockingly not even nominated)
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2026 7:27 pm
by domino harvey
Also here’s the source since I think wherever I originally posted it has a dead image link anyways

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2026 8:16 pm
by hearthesilence
I double-checked too. I have no idea if the AFI Catalog is known to be 100% accurate, but if you look under the DETAILS tab, it indeed lists
Elmer Gantry as
1.33:1.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2026 2:50 am
by senseabove
I saw the restoration at Bologna and it was pretty stunning. This will be a very easy upgrade for me—if Kino doesn't botch something, of course. Unfortunately, it was my second to last screening of the festival, so I'm afraid my attention was a bit shot and I don't recall what ratio it was in...
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2026 4:37 am
by DeprongMori
I’m pretty certain Elmer Gantry was screened in Bologna’s DCP in 1.37:1. I recall being a little surprised because my memory of my previous viewing was a wider ratio. The Bologna catalog is not forthcoming on the matter.
And FWIW, I’ve found the AFI catalog much more accurate than many other sources.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2026 2:23 am
by Jameson281
The new Amazon MGM 4K restoration of ELMER GANTRY is 1.33:1.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 3:24 pm
by FrauBlucher
They're on a small streak of good titles for a change...
Coming Soon on 4KUHD!
The Fortune Cookie (1966) Starring Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Ron Rich & Judi West – Shot by Joseph LaShelle (Laura) – Music by Andre Previn (Irma La Douce) – Written by Billy Wilder & I.A.L. Diamond (Some Like It Hot) – Directed by Billy Wilder (Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17, The Apartment).
• Oscar Winner: Best Supporting Actor (Matthau)
• Oscar Nominee: Best Screenplay / Best Cinematography / Best Art Direction
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 4:40 pm
by therewillbeblus
The last Wilder I would have picked!
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 11:05 pm
by ChunkyLover
I'm surprised that The Fortune Cookie is somehow a more "4K worthy" title than something like Witness for the Prosecution or even Irma la Douce.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 11:50 am
by Drucker
ChunkyLover wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2026 11:05 pm
I'm surprised that
The Fortune Cookie is somehow a more "4K worthy" title than something like
Witness for the Prosecution or even
Irma la Douce.
Almost certainly a by-product of when a 4k master became available, not the quality of the films.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 3:36 pm
by dwk
Coming Soon on 4KUHD!
Patch Adams (1998) Starring Robin Williams, Monica Potter, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Daniel London, Bob Gunton, Josef Sommer, Herve Presnell, Peter Cayote & Michael Jeter – Shot by Phedon Papamichael (Ford v Ferrari) – Music by Marc Shaiman (South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut) – Written by Steve Oedekerk (Bruce Almighty) – Directed by Tom Shadyac (The Nutty Professor, Liar Liar, Dragonfly).
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2026 10:09 pm
by Jameson281
Drucker wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2026 11:50 am
ChunkyLover wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2026 11:05 pm
I'm surprised that
The Fortune Cookie is somehow a more "4K worthy" title than something like
Witness for the Prosecution or even
Irma la Douce.
Almost certainly a by-product of when a 4k master became available, not the quality of the films.
Correct. Amazon MGM remastered THE FORTUNE COOKIE for its 60th Anniversary, so Kino is simply taking advantage of the fact that a 4K master exists.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 2:25 am
by The Fanciful Norwegian
The Chinese theatrical release of Witness for the Prosecution last December was billed as a 4K restoration. No idea if that was accurate, though.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 6:41 pm
by acidgoat
Did anybody besides myself receive an email today about the Kino Lorber Membership Program which will go into effect on Tuesday, August 25?
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 9:21 pm
by kekid
I got a similar email from Kino Lorber.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 10:37 pm
by hearthesilence
I got one.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 11:31 pm
by jazzo
Me too
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 11:36 pm
by senseabove
It doesn't seem like there's any real change except... you get a 10% on non-sale titles? Otherwise, the email points out that you don't get order history or wish lists or other features of having an account without being a member, but all you need to be a member is an account, and you've always needed an account for those features. Coupled with the very legal "Change of Service Notification" subject line, it's more than a little befuddling why they announced it this way...
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 12:37 am
by dwk
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 12:41 am
by CSM126
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 1:26 am
by James Stock
I wouldn't expect anything else from them to be honest.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 8:51 am
by TMDaines
No-one is buying outside of their quarterly sales anyway.
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 1:28 pm
by Drucker
Did they spend the money they could have spent on better encodes on McKinsey associates, instead?
Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2026 3:12 pm
by FrauBlucher
Coming Soon on 4KUHD!
Running Scared (1986) Starring Billy Crystal, Gregory Hines, Steven Bauer, Darlanne Fluegel, Joe Pantoliano, Dan Hedaya, Jon Gries, Tracy Reed, Don Calfa & Jimmy Smits – Shot by Peter Hyams (Narrow Margin, Sudden Death, The Relic) – Written by Gary DeVore (The Dogs of War, Raw Deal) & Jimmy Huston (Dark Sunday, Final Exam) – Directed by Peter Hyams (Busting, Capricorn One, Outland, The Presidio).