cantinflas wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 4:28 am
Lance Oppenheim is quickly becoming one of my favourite filmmakers and I'm yet to see a single film from him!
I hope his documentaries are better than his feature film debut, because
Primetime cinematically fails in just about every way possible.
Matt wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 2:40 am
Surprised to see not a single sentence of discussion about
Primetime, but maybe it's only Extremely My Kind of Thing and not anybody else's.
Well, this isn't something I ever expected to bring up here, but I'm a die hard TCAPist. I loved the show from its original network run, to MSNBC reruns, and especially in its resurgence during the glorious years of JustinTV (streaming/with running chat commentary). TCAP now lives on in various weirdo forms ranging from forums (Temple of TCAP), sub Reddits, and hilarious contributions on Youtube that include commentaries (Walls) and phony phone calls (Candidfelow).
I love TCAP so much that I once bid as much as $5,000 a few years ago to work on a sting with Chris Hansen. I love that Chris doesn't see that he sold out a semblance of journalistic integrity for ratings. He's a bit of a creep, but he's my creep. Hansen's reputation will be fine - or will at least remain as is... Last year's documentary,
Predators, gave it to him much worse.
Pattinson is what matters most in this movie, and for the most part he's fine, and as Matt noted in his
not-so-spoiler section, he's best when he's perfecting his line readings for the broadcast. If the movie centered on that earlier we might have had something. Instead he's a creep from beginning to end. Perhaps if he had a better director, this movie could have been framed better - but maybe not, because the script gives us nothing to care about it... Merritt Wever is your token tv producer, in that she's only ever pure television. Newcomer Skyler Gisondo is played in such a naive way that by the time he feels any guilt for taking part in a predator's suicide, it's more because the story tells this event has affected him. I was left unpersuaded by whatever critique this film attempts to make.
The score is shooting for a drama thriller vibe...but it too is as overwrought as the direction. For all of the effort that went into achieving the visual look - it comes off as hollow as the movie, or Chris Hansen himself. I did laugh a few times...and one wonders if someone with a better sense of humor helmed this project it could have really been something.