Page 1 of 1

Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:41 am
by domino harvey
Severin has been teasing a 60+ film box set of Grand Guginol-related movies, from the silent era through modern times. I imagine this is where that Maurice Tourneur title Ann Harding teased is showing up

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:28 pm
by Calvin
domino harvey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:41 am Severin has been teasing a 60+ film box set of Grand Guginol-related movies, from the silent era through modern times. I imagine this is where that Maurice Tourneur title Ann Harding teased is showing up
and also Jean Gremillon's The Lighthouse Keepers!

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:32 pm
by therewillbeblus
Calvin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:28 pm Jean Gremillon's The Lighthouse Keepers!
Wow, what a get - I've watched The Lighthouse Keepers twice this year and it's mesmerizing even with shoddy quality. Can't wait to see it restored!

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:33 pm
by domino harvey
Wow, now that’s a box set!

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:36 pm
by swo17
therewillbeblus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:32 pm
Calvin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:28 pm Jean Gremillon's The Lighthouse Keepers!
Wow, what a get - I've watched The Lighthouse Keepers twice this year and it's mesmerizing even with shoddy quality. Can't wait to see it restored!
Since it's presented as a bonus film, should we lower our expectations?

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:37 pm
by domino harvey
Am I missing the release date?

EDIT NM late December

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:43 pm
by domino harvey
Here’s my write ups of the films on the Hossein disc (though I think their connection to this theme is rather tenuous)
domino harvey wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2026 7:36 pm Image

La menace (Gerard Oury 1961) A half decade before actor turned director Oury would make the highest grossing French film of all time, he was associated by some with the New Wave, and a film like this, his second as director, shows why. Rebellious teen Marie-Jose Nat tries to impress some local “wastrels” by implicating Robert Hossein’s chemist in the murder of a young girl, a crime she did not witness as she claims. While the story is the creaky stuff of pulp fiction, there are elements here that complicate what we think of when we designate a film nouvelle vague or not. This was, unsurprisingly, panned across the board by Cahiers, but on paper there’s little to distinguish it from many of the markers one uses to discuss the movement: We have a story of young people of the moment, we have movie references (the moped punks love Cocteau and there’s a Bresson poster prominently displayed, plus an amusing A bout de soufle riff), we have location shooting, we have a jazzy score, we even have a dynamically shot sequence in which Nat stands in full knight's armor with a rose in her mouth as the gang encircle her on their bikes in an attempt to pry the flower from her lips… but we also have stars who are associated with mainstream cinema, a director who used to be one of them, and a rather dubious view of the youth culture it depicts. Still, there’s something here for future study, because this Is a hard film to write off as not belonging to the movement, even with its flaws. To some degree, those films which solidified into the canon and even the appendages of more obscure outputs are the result of gatekeeping. Obviously a guy who starred in mainstream films and cast mainstream actors couldn’t be trusted by some, but looking at it with enough distance and without the biases of the era, I’m not so sure I can advocate writing it off and sweeping it out of the movement so lightly… Is anything here really as tone deaf and mainstream as Cahiers' own beloved Rendez-vous de juillet, for instance? [P]
domino harvey wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2025 5:27 pm Le Vampire de Düsseldorf (Robert Hossein 1965) A meek day laborer spends his nights in pre-war Germany pining after a cabaret singer and murdering women who look like her. Hossein’s direction is fine if unremarkable, but he is woefully miscast as the killer. Hossein is one of the great on-screen pricks, and you don’t put him in a movie like this and have him act vaguely autistic instead of lashing out violently with the full-force of his capacity for assholedom. On one hand I admired the film’s initial restraint at eliding the violent crimes themselves, but eventually this too goes away. I also found it entirely unlikely and more than a little self-serving to have the cabaret singer actually fall for Hossein's character. A couple scenes of Nazis tormenting Communists while ignoring Hossein on the street are, I’m sure, Totally Deep.

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:13 pm
by therewillbeblus
Should we expect Orbit et al. to get this, or at least DeepDiscount; or is it a website exclusive?

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:16 pm
by swo17
I'd expect it to be as widely available as the All the Haunts Be Ours sets

Re: Severin Films

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:19 pm
by therewillbeblus
swo17 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:36 pm
therewillbeblus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:32 pm
Calvin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:28 pm Jean Gremillon's The Lighthouse Keepers!
Wow, what a get - I've watched The Lighthouse Keepers twice this year and it's mesmerizing even with shoddy quality. Can't wait to see it restored!
Since it's presented as a bonus film, should we lower our expectations?
Well its lack of clean visuals is part of the charm, so I don't expect a substantial upgrade, but I also doubt it'll be presented in the state you can currently find it in

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:15 pm
by senseabove
This may be the first time I've ever been disincentivized by an LE disc exclusive?

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:28 pm
by soundchaser
I can't believe I'm going to drop $250 for the one Grémillon, but here we are. No idea what merits its inclusion in this particular set, but then I haven't seen most (if any) of the other films on offer.

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:36 pm
by zedz
soundchaser wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:28 pm I can't believe I'm going to drop $250 for the one Grémillon, but here we are. No idea what merits its inclusion in this particular set.
It was the only film produced by Grand Guignol Productions, apparently.

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:59 pm
by therewillbeblus
Wait, so if you want The Lighthouse Keepers, you have to buy direct from Severin?

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:06 pm
by Glowingwabbit
therewillbeblus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:59 pm Wait, so if you want The Lighthouse Keepers, you have to buy direct from Severin?
I don't think so as that's on disc one. Only the Wizard of Gore disc is listed as LE.

My guess is disc one will get a solo release at some point since it has David Gregory's doc on it.

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:14 pm
by dwk
In the past, they have released standalone editions of the documentaries from the big boxes, but if they do that here, who knows if it will be the same disc as the one in the box or if it will drop The Lighthouse Keepers.

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:19 pm
by zedz
senseabove wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:15 pm This may be the first time I've ever been disincentivized by an LE disc exclusive?
Two versions of Wizard of Gore isn't so much a "run don't walk" scenario as a "back slowly away" one.

Nevertheless, I'm in, because the rest of the set looks like fun.

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:20 pm
by therewillbeblus
dwk wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:14 pm In the past, they have released standalone editions of the documentaries from the big boxes, but if they do that here, who knows if it will be the same disc as the one in the box or if it will drop The Lighthouse Keepers.
That would be very obnoxious. A gamble!

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:39 pm
by denti alligator
I like the focus on pre-1930s cinema, so this is definitely a draw. I don't care about the LE disc, so the question is: what will the price of the SE be and how much can we expect to find it for discounted (when it arrives--which will be....when?)?

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:57 pm
by Lowry_Sam
I’m sure there’s a market for such an all-encompassing Goth Box, but I would be more interested in the silents as standalones and maybe the mid-century World Noir too. Given the economy, I think I can easily pass on the limited box.

Re: Severin Films – Morbid Pleasures: A Compendium of Grand Guignol & the Grand Guignolesque

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 10:00 pm
by domino harvey
There’s so much stuff here that I missed there’s a new Dave Foley and Scott Thompson comedy short included