Page 1 of 1
Forthcoming: Dead Souls
Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:35 am
by Adam X
Alex Cox has a new Kickstarter for
My Last Movie.
My "last movie" is a Western version of Nicolai Gogol's "Dead Souls". This is a great book, full of irony, mystery and meaning. I plan to shoot in two locations – Almería, Spain, and Tucson, Arizona.
[…] In some ways my last movie is a classic European or “Spaghetti” Western. But it’s other things too. It’s a celebration of the tenacity of its protagonist, of Gogol's novel, and of the fantastic landscapes of Tucson and Tabernas… As with some of my other films, there is both humour and politics. Plus weirdness.
[…] So please, if you enjoyed "Repo Man" or "Straight to Hell" or "Walker", consider backing a "last movie" in the same vein. Cheers!
Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2026 1:11 am
by brundlefly
Adam X wrote: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:42 am
Alex Cox has a new Kickstarter for
My Last Movie.
My "last movie" is a Western version of Nicolai Gogol's "Dead Souls". This is a great book, full of irony, mystery and meaning. I plan to shoot in two locations – Almería, Spain, and Tucson, Arizona.
[…] In some ways my last movie is a classic European or “Spaghetti” Western. But it’s other things too. It’s a celebration of the tenacity of its protagonist, of Gogol's novel, and of the fantastic landscapes of Tucson and Tabernas… As with some of my other films, there is both humour and politics. Plus weirdness.
[…] So please, if you enjoyed "Repo Man" or "Straight to Hell" or "Walker", consider backing a "last movie" in the same vein. Cheers!
Trailer.
Re: New York City Repertory Cinema
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2026 7:39 pm
by hearthesilence
Alex Cox's final feature film,
Dead Souls, will open this weekend at Roxy Cinema and
he's scheduled for one Q&A.
Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 9:47 am
by Forrest Taft
Per the latest Kickstarter-update, Powerhouse has picked up Alex Cox’s Dead Souls for UK distribution.
Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:03 am
by JamesF
From Alex Cox’s latest newsletter for backers of his “last movie”
Dead Souls:
And I'm pleased to report that we have a UK distributor: Powerhouse Films. Powerhouse also distribute Rosi's Lucky Luciano so we are in good hands. The first British screening will be at the Mockingbird Cinema in Birmingham, on 5 November; and the second will be at Home in Manchester, on 6 November. I will attend both screenings. With luck, there will more to follow.
Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 1:41 pm
by swo17
JamesF wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:03 am
From Alex Cox’s latest newsletter for backers of his “last movie”
Dead Souls:
And I'm pleased to report that we have a UK distributor: Powerhouse Films. Powerhouse also distribute Rosi's Lucky Luciano so we are in good hands. The first British screening will be at the Mockingbird Cinema in Birmingham, on 5 November; and the second will be at Home in Manchester, on 6 November. I will attend both screenings. With luck, there will more to follow.
An email today says this will also receive a physical release from Indicator next year, with more details coming soon
Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:11 pm
by Adam X
Very happy there’ll be no need to buy Kino’s release. While I was more than fine with supporting the Kickstarter, it’ll be nice to get a more well-rounded release; and as a bonus, isn’t a BD-R.
Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:23 pm
by hearthesilence
JamesF wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:03 am
From Alex Cox’s latest newsletter for backers of his “last movie”...
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but when he was here in NYC to promote the film, the moderator asked him point blank if it's really his "last" movie, and the diplomatic answer is that it
could be, but while he was more than happy to use that as a fundraising tool, he's already trying to launch his next project. (I'm not sure if this was serious as I wasn't there, but apparently he said it was going to be a
Repo Man sequel.)
Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:25 pm
by Adam X
Yeah, I’m fairly sure there’s already a script for the sequel. It’s one of those ‘in the works for a while now’ sort of films. I think he’s said he’s hoping to go the more traditional funding route for it rather than crowdfunding again. I imagine like a lot of directors of his generation, he’s finding it a lot harder to get his films funded these days.
Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 3:10 am
by beamish14
Adam X wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:25 pm
Yeah, I’m fairly sure there’s already a script for the sequel. It’s one of those ‘in the works for a while now’ sort of films. I think he’s said he’s hoping to go the more traditional funding route for it rather than crowdfunding again. I imagine like a lot of directors of his generation, he’s finding it a lot harder to get his films funded these days.
Repo Man has had two distinctly different sequel paths. One was a 1995 attempt that was set up at Universal and was supposed to have both Emilio Estevez (who, like Ed Harris and Gary Oldman, Cox had a major falling out with) and Harry Dean Stanton. This take became the basis for Cox’s graphic novel
Waldo’s Hawaiian Holiday, which itself was going to be directed by another filmmaking team and THEY had a major rift with him.
The other proposed sequel is a more recent script