The Alternate Oscars: Best Picture (1969-Present)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Matt

Re: The Alternate Oscars: Best Picture (1969-Present)

#226 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 pm

jindianajonz wrote:Regarding Chris Cooper's homophobe being gay: I know it has become a cliche now to assume that people who rail against homosexuality the most may be closeted themselves (thank you, countless GOP congressmen) but was the idea at least fresh at the time this movie was released?
No. In fact, latent or repressed homosexuality was a popular Freudian explanation for "homosexual panic" in the early part of the 20th century. Here's an excerpt from an abstract of an article in the journal Psychopathology from 1920:
The mechanism of the homosexual panic (panic due to the pressure of uncontrollable perverse sexual cravings) is of the utmost importance in psychopathology, because of the frequency of its occurrence wherever men or women must be grouped alone for prolonged periods. The acute homosexual panic may well be considered a distinct stage in the psychoses. It may be diagnosed as readily as paresis by certain cardinal symptoms: (1) panic and the autonomic reactions which accompany grave fear; (2) the defensive compensation against the compulsion to seek or submit to assault; (3) the symbols used by the erotic affect and the disturbances of sensation it causes. The prognosis of a homosexual panic in a soldier or sailor is usually favorable for that episode, but the future of that individual is most insecure unless he obtains insight and a fortunate sexual adjustment.
"Homosexual panic" was also termed "Kempf's disease" after the author of that article.

zedz

#227 Post by zedz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:12 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:The stupidest thing about American Beauty is Chris Cooper's hard-as-nails, homophobic Army guy being *shock* secretly gay!
Though that's really just the worst example of the same "breaking my arm patting myself on the back for being so liberal (but I'm actually really conservative)" attitude that infects the entire film. The whole film is so transparently contrived to deliver certain button-pushing scenes and messages from the sponsor that I find it unwatchable. Smug and dumb is not a winning combination.

It was one of the films that had me questioning my principle of not walking out of movies.

Mr Sausage

#228 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:29 pm

jindianajonz wrote:Regarding Chris Cooper's homophobe being gay: I know it has become a cliche now to assume that people who rail against homosexuality the most may be closeted themselves (thank you, countless GOP congressmen) but was the idea at least fresh at the time this movie was released?
The idea that someone's virulent hatred of something is a cover is very, very old (Queen Gertrude's line, "The Lady doth protest too much, methinks" has for decades been repurposed to mean exactly this).

colinr0380

#229 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:07 pm

domino, I would praise Hallström rather than the Weinsteins for the feel of The Cider House Rules, although they played a big part in the Oscar push. His 1970s contemporary-set dramas are my favourites of his work (Happy We, Father To Be, A Lover and His Lass etc), but I like Cider House Rules too, and The Shipping News. Not so much Chocolat though.

On American Beauty I completely agree with how schematic that film is, though seeing Life As A House a few years later really showed how much worse American Beauty could have been! Life As A House is the one where Kevin Kline is a newly-redundant and diagnosed with terminal cancer architect who decides to build his dream home and reconnect with his estranged family whilst doing so, including a sullen goth (with piercings, dark clothes and eyeliner!) teenage son played by Hayden Christensen who does a glue sniffing and auto erotic asphyxiation scene over the opening credits (it plays kind of like a glossier version of Ken Park) followed up later on by a jawdropping gay-panic scene of turning tricks in a parking lot for cash before backing out at the last minute, and if I remember correctly getting beaten into a pulp by his frustrated client! Which is the turning point to show just how low he has fallen without having a real father figure around, having being brought up by an incapable mother and distant stepdad, and the point at which he gets the opportunity to turn his life around, helped by a gruffly paternal Kline showing him the value of an honest days work and the obligatory hetero shower scene with Jena Malone to prove that he was definitely not gay and only fooling around with men for the noble goal of cash to fund a drug habit!

And, as the title suggests, the plastic bag dancing on the breeze metaphor has been changed into the just as mawkish housebuilding one (though neither are quite as bad as that 'pies as a metaphor for life' spate of films from the late 2000s!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Sausage

#230 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm

colin wrote:...and if I remember correctly getting beaten into a pulp by his frustrated client!
Something even more pathetic happens: another car suddenly pulls into the empty parking lot, prompting Darth Vader to jump out of the john's car with his pants still around his ankles and alternately run and tumble his way down a hill in his underwear. But all this does lead to a cathartic moment at the end where the john turns out to be the local asshole getting in the way of the house's completion, so there's a crowd-pleasing blackmail scene.

colinr0380

#231 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

I think I must have been getting the turning tricks scene mixed up with the much better one involving Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights! Which seems to be where Life As A House took its inspiration from for that section!

Mr Sausage

#232 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:46 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I think I must have been getting the turning tricks scene mixed up with the much better one involving Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights! Which seems to be where Life As A House took its inspiration from for that section!
A great scene because you can tell the guys aren't using the sight of a man naked as an excuse for violence, but violence as an excuse to see a man naked. Not that it's hard to do better than that lamentable scene from Life is a House.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#233 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:19 am

domino harvey wrote:Minor points awarded for being reminded of Doug Hutchison's current fantastic trainwreck of a life every time he was on-screen, though.
NOOOOOOOOOO

knives

#234 Post by knives » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 am

He was the stereotypical Kingian bad guard, right?

colinr0380

#235 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:44 am

knives wrote:He was the stereotypical Kingian bad guard, right?
Ah, now I think I can place him. Was he playing the guard who didn't wet the sponge down to ensure a quick electric chair death for one of the prisoners that had laughed at him?

knives

#236 Post by knives » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:33 pm

That's who I am thinking he is/ was.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#237 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes, that's him. He may be best known as Tooms on the X Files

flyonthewall2983

#238 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:20 pm

He's also pretty good as one of the corrupt cops in the Darabont-produced The Salton Sea. Last thing I saw him in was that awful Punisher sequel, hamming it up with Dominic West.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#239 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:40 pm

the Color Purple The mere fact that this is any good at all is some kind of miracle, as the idea of Steven Spielberg telling a story of the black experience brings to mind lots of tedious prestige trappings, only some of which are present here. There is plenty to praise in the film-- the performances are all well-executed, particularly those of a subdued Whoopi Goldberg and a scene-stealing Oprah Winfrey, and there are great set pieces, particularly the wonderful showdown/hoedown between a juke joint crowd and the Sunday congregation-- but ultimately I struggled with why this film needed to be made. It is a study in abject cruelty and degradation, observed well but mercilessly and for great length. After a while I realized that the film was piling on the outrages not to address the nastiness but merely to pay-off last minute emotional "wins," and thus the cynical nature of the big finish prevented the delivery of any catharsis it might have otherwise provided.

Kiss of the Spider Woman One of the little independent films that could. William Hurt won an Oscar for playing an effeminate homosexual sharing a Brazilian cell with macho Raoul Julia's political prisoner. To pass the time, Hurt recalls in detail a German propaganda film his mother'd seen, the plot of which mirrors the plot of the film… which is all well and good, but there's not a lot here that I'd fondly recall. I could never decide if Hurt, who I generally like, was helping or hurting with his nancying performance, and the switch Julia makes near the end is unconvincing. The whole thing peters out into a mess and while I'm sure that's the political intent of the filmmakers, it doesn't make for a good pic.

Out of Africa One of the most tedious and least engaging Best Picture winners of all time-- up there with Cavalcade and Around the World in 80 Days on that score. Yes, this bland muck about Meryl Streep and Robert Redford looking at each other in Africa for almost three hours really is that bad in the most disengaged and lifeless way possible. I try not to use the word "boring," but if I take that away what else is there left to say about this one? At least it has that great titular line going for it.

Prizzi's Honor An odd film and an odd fit for this category in any year, this is John Huston playing with old hat studio conventions and techniques while still being dicey enough to keep all the assorted mafia backstabbings and bloodletting and other products of then-modern filmmaking. Sometimes it works-- there's a daffy energy to the second act's series of double-crossings, and Angelica Huston is a lot of fun in her Oscar-winning role-- but the film is sloppy, frequently ugly to look at, and the ending doesn't work at all. John Huston is a director I still don't have the fullest grip on even as I turn the corner on his entire filmography, and this film unhelpfully contains prime examples of both arguments for and against him!

Witness This is the last nominated film I watched for 1985's round-up and I went in sweating a bit, as I didn't care enough for any of the other nominees to willingly cast my vote in their direction. Luckily Witness more than makes up the difference. Responsible for much of the public's knowledge and impression of the Amish for decades afterwards, the film offers a peek at another world that is neither disrespectful nor overly fawning-- it isn't even particularly curious, with the narrative content to release details slowly and as needed. That lackadaisical methodology might damn a lesser film, but it works here due to the story being less an exploitation vehicle ("Let's gawk at a different culture!") and more a classic star-crossed affair, with subtle but strong central performances by Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis as the pair who know it could never work out but lie to themselves for as long as possible. There's a respect at play for both the scenario and the audience with this relationship, and in a year where I was left shaking my head at so many of the creative choices in the other films nominated, this is one where I was nodding along!

My Vote Witness

the Accidental Tourist I originally watched this miserable flick for the last incarnation of the 80s List and described the film as a "drab dollhouse of sleepy actors," which is one of my better lines. William Hurt is a good actor and the Academy loved him in the mid 80s, but nothing about this mopey and illogical star vehicle works, especially not Geena Davis' saintly single mother who of course somehow walked away with an Oscar. Most lousy films that nevertheless receive widespread lavish praise or awards attention still make some sense for me in terms of intended or imagined appeal, but this is an exception. I do not understand what anyone got/gets/will get out of this movie.

Dangerous Liaisons I have to confess to being the philistine 90s Kid who saw this story the first time around as Cruel Intentions. What we have here is all right, I suppose, but all a bit of flutter about nothing. If the material was half as wicked as it thinks it is, this would be a ribald good time. As is, it's a pleasant-enough diversion but hardly Best Picture material. The only real point of interest is that the film casts two ugly actors as the leads, who are by title and place in society given an innate appeal that apparently is sexually irresistible. It could be clever class commentary if I thought for even a second it was intentional.

Mississippi Burning Protestations of historical inaccuracy (which of course only seem to pop up when being against the depiction serves a larger political function, huh) miss the spirit of the film's gist, one I found convincing and powerful. I have no investment in the facts of the inspiration, only the evidence of the film in front of me, and on a narrative level this crime film succeeds. Alan Parker's brutal tendencies, put to poor use in Midnight Express, here thrive with urgency and just moral outrage. Gene Hackman gives one of his best performances as a former good ol' boy FBI man who John Waynes his way through one stonewall after another, alternating between beleaguered exasperation and sheer bravado. This is a powerful film, one reliant on emotional, instinctual responses over intellectual adherence to rigid perimeters. The film not only endorses Hackman over Willem Dafoe in a practical sense, it embodies the difference in its filmic approach. I'm sure there is a nuanced take on all this material yet to be told. I'm also sure a story and especially a setting like this is better suited to this approach!

Rain Man A truly offensive film if you think about its function. Here is a "feel good" movie that won all the major awards it was nominated for, made a ton of money, and gave birth to 25 years and counting of bad impressions, and yet the central purpose of the film is the equivalent of a geek show. Come see Hoffman's wacky autistic savant! Isn't he quirky?! Isn't he cute?! Isn't it sweet how he doesn't understand what's going on?! But that's the problem: all the emotional beats are projected onto him by Tom Cruise within the film and by the loving audience outside of it. Hoffman's Raymond only exists to pleasure the mentally superior audiences who are delighting in his crippling mental and personality issues as though they were adorable quirks. His character has no concept of what's actually going on. Thus the film is merely feel good masturbation, performed by and for those attuned to the level it pitches, and endured by all others with the same amount of enthusiasm anyone would feel for being forced to watch someone else jerk-off for two-plus hours.

Working Girl Tremendous female-driven romantic comedy that encapsulates such a universal desire of achievement and recognition of one's own merits while serving as both a clever commentary on the politics and economics of the 80s and presenting a distinctly feminist film with obvious and clever appeal to a female audience. This movie is, in its fashion, a masterpiece, a descendant of Kitty Foyle in this category 48 years prior but with true agency to accompany the warmth and humanistic approach-- A Woman's Picture in the best sense of the term, in the spirit of the Women and not, uh, the remake of the Women. I always wondered in the back of my head what this was doing here but now the answer is obvious: this is the ultimate zeitgeist film of the period, and I loved every minute of it. Bonus points awarded to Harrison Ford, who is given a somewhat thankless role in the narrative of Melanie Griffith's doofy hunk of a boyfriend and just jumps right into his comic perf with real and charming fearlessness.

My Vote Working Girl

matrixschmatrix

#240 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:23 am

I'd always understood the objections to Mississippi Burning being not unlike your own to 12 Years a Slave- it's a movie that's theoretically about black history, yet the only characters given any complexity are the white ones. It's certainly something to make a movie about the civil rights struggle in which the conflict in how to get anywhere is framed as being between one white guy and another white guy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#241 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 am

Mississippi Burning is a film about white racism, a perfectly valid subject matter, and one that doesn't need complex characterization towards the Other to make its points. A film about the equality struggle in this time and place as experienced and told by its victims is an interesting and worthy topic, but is also a different film. This is a movie about why there was a struggle-- attaching charges of racism to the film itself is ludicrous and a product of not engaging the film on its specific terms. The prob with McQueen's film is it does devote more screentime and narrative importance to black characters while telling a story concerned with the racially-charged black experience in America and yet it's the white characters who are given more characterization and insightful focus. I would have no problem with McQueen making a film focused on the white slave owners, the thing is that engaging the film on its own terms yields the problematic observation that he didn't but still did. Mississippi Burning has far clearer intent, purpose, and execution and is, if we're going to compare apples and oranges, a superior film by any metric of quality
matrixschmatrix wrote: It's certainly something to make a movie about the civil rights struggle in which the conflict in how to get anywhere is framed as being between one white guy and another white guy.
I mean, does anyone who frames this film within that false and misleading perimeter know anything about the South during this time period? Mississippi Burning is hardly a film where the white man is presented as a savior. The film's only decent figure, Gene Hackman's character, is often dispassionate and defeatist towards the racial attitudes-- don't bother, he says to the idealistic Willem Dafoe, you're not going to change anything. Indeed, Dafoe frequently makes things worse and the film is clear that the white presence of outside authority made things worse for blacks living in the area. If you think black people in this era in this part of the country had the level of agency and freedom to singlehandedly affect change within communities where groups of marauders were given free reign to assault their property and person at will, you are essentially Willem Dafoe's character, playing a game by the wrong set of rules just because it's "right" or PC or whatever. What's more, the film goes out of its way to show that no matter how clever or forthright Hackman is, the overall effect he is able to impart is minimal and certainly not the commendable work of white liberators who've made things any better. Racism is so ingrained into the institutional faculties of those who lived in this time and place that there's not much else one can do, and the final montage is of Z-level futility despite Hackman's eventual investment. Hackman's challenging of the status quo and doing what needs to be done outside of the acceptable perimeters of his position (both in terms of his career and his social status) is indicative of the fight most involved in the movements of the era will have to carry on / continue, but the end result is less satisfying than the process suggests. This isn't a story about winning as much as an observation of a period that didn't allow for satisfying victories.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#242 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 pm

An Unmarried Woman An average character piece elevated to this category on the strength of Jill Clayburgh's brilliant performance-- and then the Academy doesn't even give her the Oscar! Classic. Other than the Lib-inspired ending, not much else here to single-out-- Mazursky could churn out these small, observational films in his sleep, and this one is no exception.

Coming Home Strong central performance by Jon Voight, who earned his Best Actor statue, and a somewhat less impressive turn from Jane Fonda, who most definitely did not earn her Oscar. I think Fonda's a gifted actress, but she does roles like this all the time and the award was classic Academy forgiveness for her anti-war tack in the first half of the decade. Outside of the primary performances, there are a couple memorable sequences and the film is moderately engaging, but I didn't find this to be quite the powerhouse others saw. The filmmaking is generally competent but the use of popular soundtrack is frequently lazy and distracting and neither effectively underscores nor serves as some form of commentary with regards to its bad fit. It just-- ***cue up the Beatles again***

the Deer Hunter Time hasn't been entirely kind to this film's reputation, but I was pleasantly engaged by the film and think the Academy backed the right horse. Cimino's use of on-screen time is exceedingly clever and bears favorable comparison to Rivette-- the first seventy five minutes are fantastic and well-observed and a great antidote to all the pointless looseness of much of the era's output. Here I believed and trusted every second up on screen and was rewarded for my investment by the end of this sad, long epic. The infamous scenes of Russian Roulette which haunt the film's narrative are appropriately stressful and terrifying without ever delving into exploitation. This is powerful stuff all around, and if the Academy was only ever gonna award one Vietnam film, it-- well, okay, it should've been Apocalypse Now or Born on the Fourth of July, but this is at least leagues better than Platoon!

Heaven Can Wait Remaking the virtually perfect Here Comes Mr Jordan (and oddly naming it after a Lubitsch film of the same era) isn't the best idea in the world, and all of Warren Beatty's charm can't mask the needless nature of this film. That said, there's one reason to watch this movie and it's the brilliant comic performance by Charles Grodin. He got passed over for a Best Supporting nom in favor of Academy favorite Jack Warden, but Grodin handily walks away with every scene he's in, to the point that I wished the film followed his conniving cad instead.

Midnight Express Thoroughly unpleasant portrayal of life in a Turkish prison. I have no earthly idea why this movie was nominated, as it's not uplifting or a case of mistaken / railroading prosecution (the guy did try to smuggle several kilos of hash) nor is it particularly artistic or aesthetically pleasing or gifted by interesting performances. No, it's just kind of there, a series of ugly scenes that play out over the course of a couple hours for no discernible purpose. Even for the Academy, this is a beguiling choice...

My Vote the Deer Hunter

A Room with a View This project is doing a number on my preconceived notions. Either I've just caught two atypical productions or it turns out Merchant-Ivory movies are actually quite good, with a pleasantly droll comic attitude (even more pronounced here than in Howards End) and wonderful performances pitched at exactly the right levels. The opening twenty or so minutes to this film is a total riot, with a justly nommed Denholm Elliott stealing the movie every time he's on screen with his eye-rolling outcast. A young Daniel Day Lewis pops up in the second half as the hilariously effete intellectual fiancé and takes over the scene-stealing for a while. There's also a bizarre mid-movie sequence that offers what polite period pieces often forget: full frontal and dorsal male nudity!

Children of a Lesser God Strong and effective "different worlds" romance, here fascinatingly set in the world of the deaf. William Hurt's speech teacher falls for Marlee Matlin's troubled deaf custodian, a woman who angrily refuses to learn how to talk or read lips. All of the details of Hurt's day-to-day work and his interactions are wonderfully observed and the problems that arise from his romantic relationship with Matlin are intriguing and bring up many aspects I'd never really considered. This isn't a case where the Oscar was thrown at the poor victim role, Matlin earned her Best Actress award in a role that succeeds even while being mostly undercut by Hurt's incessant translation. Perhaps having a grand talent like Hurt essentially adding to your acting for most of the movie acts like salt on a dish that could use it, I don't know, but it all works and is a marvelous and entertaining process all the while.

Hannah and Her Sisters I saw this early on in my Woody Allen kick and ever since I've been mystified by its lofty status among both Allen fans and the general populace at-large. But, that was years ago and the film was due a re-viewing, and since I've already been pleasantly surprised by many of my rewatches for this project, I knew I had to give this one another shot before submitting this year's entries. And while I still don't rate it as highly as most, I can say with confidence that I've turned the corner on it and recognize it as an effective, frequently warm, and often funny film that, contrary to my earlier assessments, would no longer rank at the bottom of his output for me. Funnily enough, I remember being under-enthused by Dianne Wiest's perf last time around and of course here I am years later and I think she's the best thing about the film. It's like I'm her and Woody Allen at the end of the film in the record store, my personality and tastes changed by all that living that happened between Point A and Point B. I've seen every Woody Allen film save his latest and after I finish this arduous viewing exercise, I look forward to revisiting all of Woody Allen's films for reappraisal/appreciation/flat-out enjoyment-- he was the first American auteur I devoured after discovering film and who knows what other great works need to be seen again in a new light? Maybe I should end each viewing with holding the DVD case up to the mirror and lovingly kissing it just to make sure.

the Mission Pretty to look at at times, but a muddled mess about Jesuits converting and defending the local indian tribes in South America in the 1750s. Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons headline, but they do so little with so little that anyone could have taken their place and no one'd notice. Cheap sentimentality rubs up against restrained narrative thrust, giving contradictory notions of how to process the stimulus of the film. As a result it is almost scientifically impossible to give a damn.

Platoon A functional, serviceable Vietnam film that does not bring much new to the table yet still made it across the finish line. I don't fault the film for being average (many films nominated in this category aren't even that), but it's hard to approve of its trophy haul either. What else can even be said about this one? Give me a couple episodes of China Beach instead.

My Vote Children of a Lesser God

I've picked up some additional books on the Oscars that I'll try to squeeze in between the remaining films as I barrel my way towards completion: Inside Oscar and Inside Oscar 2 by Damien Bona and Steve Pond's the Big Show. I'll report back if these are worth anyone else's time

knives

#243 Post by knives » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 am

I would say those two are not atypical at all. In fact I find Howard's End to be roughly the middle point of Ivory's work as a director (as a producer he's committed to some terrible movies especially those actually directed by Merchant).

colinr0380

#244 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:54 am

domino harvey wrote:There's also a bizarre mid-movie sequence that offers what polite period pieces often forget: full frontal and dorsal male nudity!
Have you seen the opening sequence to Patrice Leconte's Ridicule? Now that's the way to begin a period film!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#245 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:51 am

Who knew there was such a prominent flaccid penis element to some of these period pieces!

zedz

#246 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:Who knew there was such a prominent flaccid penis element to some of these period pieces!
This penis is both prominent and flaccid. It's an ironic penis.

Room with a View may be the quintessential Merchant / Ivory film, and it does what they do best without getting unduly bogged down in their weaknesses. For me it's primarily marred by the presence of the consistently godawful Julian Sands. I'm by no means familiar with all of their work, but it seems that popular opinion is largely accurate: the films that are best known / most successful / Oscar-nominated are the best ones. No undiscovered masterpieces. Though this being the internet, some passionate defender of the completely opposite opinion is bound to be along in a couple of minutes.

matrixschmatrix

#247 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Dunno about Merchant/Ivory films actually directed by Merchant, but I quite liked Simon Callow's Ballad of the Sad Cafe

(edit: and by Merchant, of course I mean Ivory. I have brain problems.)
Last edited by matrixschmatrix on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#248 Post by knives » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:55 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Dunno about Merchant/Ivory films actually directed by Merchant, but I quite liked Simon Callow's Ballad of the Sad Cafe
Don't forget Meyer's The Deceivers which is a pretty excellent example of what he does well. Also since we haven't mentioned it yet, Maurice is easily Ivory's best film.

colinr0380

#249 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 pm

That Stiff Upper Lips film is kind of a Scary Movie-style trip through all of the Merchant Ivory or period film clichés, including giving a hefty kicking to A Room With A View and its nude frolicking scene in the process.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#250 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:07 pm

2007:

Atonement
Unfairly maligned, gut-punch of a story that absolutely deserved its spot in this list of nominees, which makes me feel silly for moaning and groaning back when Zodiac wasn't nominated in lieu of this - it turns out it's my third favorite film of this group, I was just weary of what I thought would be a dull sit. In reality, it's the schizophrenic Joe Wright turning in something that's more Hanna than The Soloist, a confident, mature picture with an outstanding cast. Accusations of it being a stagnant period picture were likely all from folks who didn't actually take the time to sit down and watch it.

Juno
A film that hasn't aged well, but perhaps that's because I saw it with nearly every group of friends I had back upon its release - FOX did a huge push with tons of early screenings, and I was captivated by this film - I still think it's very good, but can certainly see the issues that people have with its early moments. It'd be great to have gotten off on a more confident foot with regards to humanizing its main character, the way it does so well later on. There's a reason a crowd pleaser like this got so much attention, and Diablo Cody justified her Oscar when she was snubbed for the criminally underseen Young Adult a few years later.

Michael Clayton
I never felt like I latched onto this film - something about the corporate moralizing without a shred of humor (done so well later on in Soderbergh's The Informant!) didn't sit well with me. One I need to revisit, sure, but I'm confident enough in my gigantic shrug in its direction when I saw it theatrically that I didn't feel like I needed to take it in again to remark here that it's just not the film for me. Not this year, not out of this list.

No Country for Old Men
This film is so tightly constructed, so smartly executed - the Coens clearly realized the gold they had here, and went out of their way to engineer it as perfectly as they could. The moments cut out from the book are the correct moments to cut out, and the characterization of Anton Chigurh by Javier Bardem is just right - he has just enough of a sneaky sense of satisfaction with his work that he seems even more invulnerable and terrifying than he would have if he were a blank slate of a killing machine, a Terminator who is programmed to kill anyone in his path. Tommy Lee Jones' through line seems to be what gives folks the most trouble with this film, but the monologue at the end completely pulls things together into a coherent and poignant explanation of why we saw what we just saw. You can take it at face value as a Hitchcock-quality chase film, or you can roll around in the misery of its subtext. Or you can do both, and realize that this film is an absolute masterpiece.

There Will Be Blood
Timeless. Like No Country for Old Men, it's a film that has gotten flack for some of the elements that work best for me: Paul Dano's excellent performance, the film's economical use of its long runtime, the startlingly sparse score. While Daniel Plainview will be remembered for his outbursts, it's how Daniel Day Lewis plays him when he's merely annoyed that makes the portrayal so memorable for me: When Eli tries to hold his hand to pray, when he blesses the newly built well, when H.M. Tilford tries to tell him how to raise his child. Sure, the ending is a firecracker of pure cinematic energy, but it's the moments when Plainview's black blood bubbles to the surface that make this film feel so memorable. Paul Thomas Anderson is the best young (not so much anymore though, I suppose!) director working today, and this is probably the film from his oeuvre that our great grandchildren will still be watching in 100 years. It's an instant classic in a year when two other American films (I'm still upset about the lack of a nomination for Zodiac, can't you tell?) were too, but it just happens to be the best of the group.

My Vote: There Will Be Blood, by the narrowest of margins
Last edited by mfunk9786 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.