1175 Inland Empire

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
therewillbeblus

Re: Forthcoming: Inland Empire

#551 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 07, 2022 12:28 am

Saw the new restoration tonight, which looked great- obviously within the limitations of the DV format. This was the first time I watched the film with a crowd (I've seen it three times alone) and while I remembered the first hour being funny, the collective laughter really emphasized the idea behind this act of the film- if one reads it as
SpoilerShow
a Hollywood fantasy, where Nikki and her life is the/an illusion/dream
Jeremy Irons adds a lot of humor, but it's Harry Dean Stanton who kills, and the way Lynch blocks and stages some interactions of a running joke involving him recalls comedy gold from the golden age. There's melodrama, suspense, and all the splashes of cinema in digestible "expected" form, including pre-90s Lynchian dread, before the film really goes off the rails.

colinr0380

#552 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 07, 2022 1:30 am

therewillbeblus

#553 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 07, 2022 12:24 pm

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, but never realized the depths of how intelligently crafted it is until I saw it with a packed theatre! Also, it really does lend credence to the reading of this part as fantasy or movie-influenced dream, coupled with other deliberate comic moments divorced from any rationale (i.e. Irons communicating with the gaffer, played by an off-screen muffled Lynch!) and mainly how they’re all fading in and out without connective tissue. Although the rest of the film also does that to some extent, there’s no reprieve like these casual isolated scenes, offering safe escapes from one another.

colinr0380

#554 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 07, 2022 1:11 pm

I seem to remember that a scene or two later there is the amusing pay-off to that scene where Laura Dern looks over and sees Stanton in long shot doing exactly the same spiel with yet another person!

therewillbeblus

#555 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 07, 2022 3:55 pm

Yeah that's the best punchline- it's a group of three-four young kids, transforming it from an absurdist one-off interaction into a running joke

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 1175 Inland Empire

#556 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:48 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#557 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:03 pm

Looks like most everything from the original DVD made it over here, but does David Lynch no longer endorse quinoa? Sad

Roscoe

#558 Post by Roscoe » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:09 pm

Dammit -- I was hoping the complete uninterrupted RABBITS would be included. My interest is significantly lessened.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#559 Post by soundchaser » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:42 pm

Not sure a single new interview makes this a worthwhile upgrade from the existing DVD. The uncompressed soundtrack is nice, I suppose.

mteller

#560 Post by mteller » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:44 pm

I have never held on to a disc that I'm upgrading, but I will miss that quinoa feature.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#561 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:45 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:42 pm
Not sure a single new interview makes this a worthwhile upgrade from the existing DVD. The uncompressed soundtrack is nice, I suppose.
Remember though that the film has been meticulously upscaled and should provide a completely different viewing experience from the DVD. Not authentic to the original presentation of course, but I'm still interested to see it

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#562 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:57 pm

I saw this new version theatrically and it is in fact a pretty remarkable upgrade in terms of clarity and definition; whether that’s a positive or not is another question, but there’s no doubt it’s a different experience

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#563 Post by soundchaser » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:00 pm

I will keep my miniDV noise where it belongs - which is everywhere, in every shot.

colinr0380

#564 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:08 pm

The most important thing of all is that "More Things That Happened" is on there. That may be even better than the main film because, being a collection of deleted scenes, it kind of becomes a collection of free-form dream spaces to linger in without having to worry about where it is all going anymore.

hearthesilence

#565 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:12 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:48 pm
BD Mar 21
Is that "4K" restoration correct info? It would be crazy because they originally took the SD video and outputted it to HDCAM-SR tape and then to 35mm film; for the 4K restoration, instead of going back to the first-generation source (which again is SD), they used the "upscaled" materials and downscaled those to SD, then upscaled again using the GaiaHD algorithm. I was under the impression this resulted in a new HD master, but if it was actually pushed up to 4K, did they take the 4K output and downscale yet again to HD? Quite a bit of see-sawing in the resolution department.

Regardless, I'm sticking with the BD of the original presentation, I didn't like the look of the new master anyway.

therewillbeblus

#566 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:19 pm

I didn't think it looked as radically different in theatres as either you or DI, but I'm curious what your issues with the new master are? It looked great and I thought retained the feel of the original presentation in all the right ways

hearthesilence

#567 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:36 pm

FWIW, I found the notes, which seem pretty thorough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the theatrical projection of the new restoration have something that looked like film grain that was applied? I remember wondering if it was applied digitally or if it was leftover from the 35mm blow-up, but they apparently used the HDCAM, so I guess it was digitally applied.

Anyway, I shouldn't have been too hard - people should view both and see what they like. Just as a personal preference, I liked the old Blu-ray more (essentially the old DVD but without the DVD compression). It's hard to articulate, but the restoration still felt like it was substantially worked on. It may have more detail, but to me it had something that reminds me of AI work I might see elsewhere, where it feels like the details are being fabricated and filled in or approximated.

EDIT: Let me give it a shot - imagine if the frame is made of clay and the details are all diffuse. If you could put your fingers into the clay (or use some kind of fine instruments) and squished certain bits together, like you're trying to make the outline of things clearer or the texture smoother, just to give things more definition, that's kind of what I think it looks like, albeit in a milder or subtler way.

therewillbeblus

#568 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:47 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:36 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the theatrical projection of the new restoration have something that looked like film grain that was applied? I remember wondering if it was applied digitally or if it was leftover from the 35mm blow-up, but they apparently used the HDCAM, so I guess it was digitally applied.
Hmm I don't recall noticing applied film grain or anything unnaturally-imposed, but I think the whole film intentionally looks unnatural and that's part of its appeal and aesthetically-informed themes, so maybe I wouldn't be as sensitive as others to what I perceive to be different strokes of the same brush

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#569 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:58 pm

It's mentioned in the tech details pdf posted here in March that they also applied a slight layer of grain on top of the final 4k master.

hearthesilence

#570 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:55 pm

tenia wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:58 pm
It's mentioned in the tech details pdf posted here in March that they also applied a slight layer of grain on top of the final 4k master.
Ah, I see it now - it was further down the page I linked to.

Boosmahn

#571 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:04 pm

I caught this in theaters earlier this year and wasn't sure what to make of it, so it's good to know I can revisit this restoration soon. (Also, that day, I got a friend who had never seen a Lynch film before to come and see it -- bad idea.)

Randall Maysin Again

#572 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:28 pm

I'd rather have the original unnatural, ugly look of this film courtesy of David Lynch and his original camerawork than what I assume would be the unnatural, ugly, self-conscious digital work self-consciously and un-germanely plastered over the void left from the digital removal of the original unnatural, ugly video noise. Um yah hi Criterion, original ugly video noise plz!!! No sale!!!

Noiretirc

#573 Post by Noiretirc » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:31 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:08 pm
The most important thing of all is that "More Things That Happened" is on there. That may be even better than the main film because, being a collection of deleted scenes, it kind of becomes a collection of free-form dream spaces to linger in without having to worry about where it is all going anymore.
Precisely!!

But this is on the original DVD release, right? I'm trying to find a good reason to get this Criterion version of Lynch's most under-appreciated film.

Noiretirc

#574 Post by Noiretirc » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:36 am

"Applied film grain" to a digitally shot film is now a thing?

I'll retire to bedlam.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#575 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:05 am

Noiretirc wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:36 am
"Applied film grain" to a digitally shot film is now a thing?

I'll retire to bedlam.
This is a fairly usual technique at this point. To give one example among many, the final version of The Batman was dirtied up visually by printing the finished movie onto film, then scanning it back onto digital. It looks fine, and so does the restoration of the Lynch (any applied grain effect is very slight)