Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#1551 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:24 am

Maybe they meant Imprint (which released Twilight)?

TechnicolorAcid

#1552 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:28 am

The new Vinegar Syndrome Labs release is going to be an 80s Polish masterpiece in it's English language debut. Chances are that it's probably going to be Sexmission but we'll just have to wait and see.

MichaelB

Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#1553 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:44 am

I immediately assumed Sexmission, partly because of the symbol, but mostly because there really aren’t that many other 1980s Polish titles that would be plausible Vinegar Syndrome releases!

Although I daresay The Curse of Snake Valley has potential there too, but the symbol doesn’t fit in the same way. It’s also decidedly not a masterpiece, unless “masterpiece” is synonymous with “gave its name to the Snakes, the Polish equivalent of the Razzies”.

(I have no involvement with this release, whatever it turns out to be.)

Aunt Peg

#1554 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:00 am

The Polish Blu Ray of Sex Mission has English subtitles. I really enjoyed it back in the 1980s at a crowded film festival screening but watching it again recently at home it really hasn't aged well.

Thornycroft

#1555 Post by Thornycroft » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:44 am
Although I daresay The Curse of Snake Valley has potential there too, but the symbol doesn’t fit in the same way. It’s also decidedly not a masterpiece, unless “masterpiece” is synonymous with “gave its name to the Snakes, the Polish equivalent of the Razzies”.
I watched The Curse of Snake Valley earlier this year having been impressed with Piestrak's Wilczyca and this piece of trivia is both very funny and entirely unsurprising given the quality of that film.

MichaelB

#1556 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:28 pm

For another bit of trivia, that's one of the only two Polish films that my wife has seen - she just happened to be in the living room when I was reviewing it for Sight & Sound, and was mesmerised by how terrible it was.

The other one is Andrzej Wajda's Wałęsa: Man of Hope (or Lech The Movie, as she calls it) on its original cinema release, as she was interested in the subject matter, having a vivid recall of the time when Poland led news bulletins on a regular basis in 1980-81.

Oh, and having mentioned my S&S review, it's only fair to reproduce it - it was part of a review of Telewizja Polska's sci-fi DVD box set that came out a dozen years ago:
Offsetting the other films’ philosophical seriousness, The Curse of Snake Valley is an absolute hoot. A would-be Polish Indiana Jones travels to Vietnam at the behest of a mercenary with the intriguingly Sierra Madre-ish name of Bernard Traven, while a female journalist tags along to supply screaming and gratuitous nudity, usually when encountering venomous snakes that appear whenever an ancient manuscript is unfurled. Lacking a decent literary source this time, director Piestrak blithely tosses in saffron-robed Buddhists, statues with deadly laser eyes, liquids triggering hideous mutations, and a papier-mâché giant serpent that would have disgraced even a 1950s Corman cheapie.
The "decent literary source" that Piestrak had worked with before was the Stanisław Lem adaptation Pirx's Test Flight (1979), which I really do unreservedly recommend.
Superior in every way [to the dreary Signals - An Adventure in Space] bar production values (unashamedly Blake’s Seven level), Pirx’s Test Flight adapts Lem’s ‘The Inquest’, which anticipated both Alien and Blade Runner in its scenario of a space mission crewed by humans and uncannily lifelike androids. Commander Pirx (Sergiusz Desnitsky) is aware of this, but not of individual colleagues’ origins, and cannot predict how they’ll respond in a crisis. Aleksandr Kaidanovsky, Tarkovsky’s Stalker, is his most enigmatically intense colleague, while Arvo Pärt’s score fuses generic sci-fi cliché with the tintinnabular style that he was developing at the time.
Just to keep this vaguely on topic, I can envisage both getting VS releases (they'd fit right in), although I'm not aware of any concrete plans.

TechnicolorAcid

#1557 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:58 pm

Perhaps Curse of the Snake Valley or Pirx’s Test Flight could sorta fit in with Terror Vision’s output considering you’ve listed a collaboration with them for some Polish film, implying they are interested in them. Or perhaps even a Deaf Crocodile release maybe. Though I’m just guessing here.

MichaelB

#1558 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:06 pm

The Terror Vision project is something totally different (decade, genre). But it would certainly fit their catalogue, and of course Deaf Crocodile's.

In fact, given that there's a restoration of Pirx's Test Flight out there (and, I believe, a German Blu-ray), it wouldn't surprise me at all if it came out sooner rather than later - it must be a rather easier sell than quite a few other eastern European genre films. (The original Arvo Pärt score is a marketing hook on its own!)

TechnicolorAcid

#1559 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:35 pm

Well in any case I will be supporting the TV release purely out of my fondness for Polish genre cinema and Michael B. commentaries.

dwk

#1560 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:13 pm

Altered Innocence posted that the two titles announced tomorrow will be their last two with Vinegar Syndrome/OCN Distribution.

Matt

#1561 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:39 am

I wonder what is leading these partner labels to jump ship. It is breadth of distribution? The percentage of sales taken? Lack of publicity?

TechnicolorAcid

#1562 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:57 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:39 am
I wonder what is leading these partner labels to jump ship. It is breadth of distribution? The percentage of sales taken? Lack of publicity?
This is just my idea but with something like TerrorVision I imagine it's so they branch out of one title per month and with Altered Innocence gaining a lot of recognition under their OCN partnership, they probably feel it's best that they should start releasing more titles now that they feel they have enough publicity to allow them to, after all they were one of the first Partner Labels under OCN so I'm just surprised they decided to do it now rather than earlier. I hope that kinda makes sense.

What A Disgrace

#1563 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:06 pm

Pretty sure The Bloodstained Shadow isn't really a "forgotten giallo".

ryannichols7

#1564 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:30 pm

love how they cornered Diabolik and Orbit to not carry the Radiance edition of The Horrible Dr. Hichcock and then charged $10 more for their own edition. predatory!

also I don't know why Film Movement is now a partner label but naturally they continue this bizarre migration of labels coming under one roof. The Early Films of Asghar Farhadi is their first release

Finch

#1565 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:42 pm

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I don't see a dropdown option to choose the standard edition of the Southern Comfort 4k. The month's other title that I want, the BD of The Tune, has it. Are they not offering regular editions on their 4ks now until after the slips sell out?

Edit: I think I have my answer. Southern Comfort and Daryl are sold from VS Ultra in magnet books. Anyone know if standards will follow?
Last edited by Finch on Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What A Disgrace

#1566 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:44 pm

Stephen Broomer, founder of Black Zero, is contributing a commentary track for Canadian International Pictures' release of Robin Spry's One Man, so that's a keeper. I haven't had reason to associate Broomer with anything other than jewels after last year. And Deaf Crocodile's The Tune continues the trend of packing their animated films releases with an insane amount of supplements, including a new restoration of Windsor McCay's The Flying House: Dream of a Rarebit Fiend, so hopefully this is the start of a beautiful relationship between Deaf Crocodile, Bill Plynpton, and McCay, because they've a fair bit of ground to cover on all fronts (and this being Plympton's first feature - I have a good feeling).

Finch

#1567 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:49 pm

Re Film Movement joining can only be a good thing in that it hopefully allows them to release a greater number of titles a year.

EDIT: Justin LaLiberty confirmed on BR that the number of releases will increase and that Film Movement will now have the option to release in 4k as well. Dare I dream of a Farewell My Concubine UHD?
Last edited by Finch on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What A Disgrace

#1568 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:50 pm

In February, Vinegar Syndrome will release a 4K Blu-ray of Saul Bass's Phase IV.

TVC15

#1569 Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:57 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:30 pm
love how they cornered Diabolik and Orbit to not carry the Radiance edition of The Horrible Dr. Hichcock and then charged $10 more for their own edition. predatory!
The Radiance edition isn't 4K UHD

Glowingwabbit

#1570 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:08 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
It's UHD. Of course it would cost more.

beamish14

#1571 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:15 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:50 pm
In February, Vinegar Syndrome will release a 4K Blu-ray of Saul Bass's Phase IV.

I have the R2 release that includes his essential shorts like Quest and Why Man Creates. I’ll consider it if they FINALLY release it with the intended ending attached to the feature instead of as a supplement

Finch

#1572 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:18 pm

They do mention multiple cuts for Phase IV.

Blip Martindale

#1573 Post by Blip Martindale » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:20 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:50 pm
YES!

Also:
ryannichols7 wrote:
The evolution of VS has been very fascinating, is there any article or interviews (who runs the company? two or three dudes, right?) that detail their ambitions and choices? I could (can and do) see accusations of careerism and indeed "predatory" behaviour lobbed their way, and it's possible their influence has spread to other labels like Severin. But the film preservation, the sub-label diaspora, the retail stores, the move into licensing major studio films... all very important and yet peculiar. A great label in general. I just hope they don't go the way of Alamo Drafthouse, but then Alamo was never anty sort of deep or real alternative to the mouthbreathers, and they would never have a "Hardcore Fuckfest" night once a week, ha.

beamish14

#1574 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:22 pm

I hope Phase IV and D.A.R.Y.L. are the start of a large number of Paramount acquisitions

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1575 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:33 pm

beamish14 wrote:I hope Phase IV and D.A.R.Y.L. are the start of a large number of Paramount acquisitions
The Miramax titles (Prophecy trilogy and eXistenZ) are from Paramount as well, so it looks like they got a good thing going with them.