Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Orlac

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3726 Post by Orlac » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:58 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am
For the benefit of those who didn't follow my link, the poster that Orlac/[Redacted] was berating so needlessly aggressively was talking about the BFI's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which as far as I'm aware doesn't suffer from any technical problems over and above the fact that it's an elderly transfer from less than optimum materials.
That's low, even for you.

Orlac

#3727 Post by Orlac » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:02 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am
For the benefit of those who didn't follow my link, the poster that Orlac/[Redacted] was berating so needlessly aggressively was talking about the BFI's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which as far as I'm aware doesn't suffer from any technical problems over and above the fact that it's an elderly transfer from less than optimum materials. Which I'd argue is a different situation from the Silence of the Lambs one, which would appear to be an unambiguous technical cock-up that should have been spotted at the QC stage.
No-one on here needs to know any names I use on different forums.

If you have a problem with how I am on other forums, feel free to criticise me on those.

Of course you can't, because you burnt your bridges on those forums and can't participate on them.

So you attack me on here, where I can't block you because you enjoy admin priviledges. Which frankly, you are abusing.

Not acceptable.
Last edited by Orlac on Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3728 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Orlac, I’ve removed mentions of your username on other forums, as that’s certainly not pertinent to this discussion. As for the other posts, look, both of you do this back and forth a lot. I’d invite you both to just ignore each other’s posts moving forward… which I believe I’ve requested before. Please consider listening this time

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3729 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Orlac wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:02 pm
Of course you can't, because you burnt your bridges on those forums and can't participate on them.
Quite an unfair way to frame what happened on blu-ray.com, which was/is part of both a much larger and very specific issue with someone in their staff. I mean, that's the place which banned both Michael AND Nick Wrigley.

MichaelB

#3730 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:53 pm

For the record, I don't have moderator powers either here or in the vast majority of other Criterion Forum subforums, so even if I was inclined to abuse them, I wouldn't be able to.

And even in threads where I do have such powers, I use them exclusively for tidying up posts in the BFI and Indicator threads - I honestly don't think I've ever done anything else.

(Aside from accidentally but irretrievably deleting someone's post many years ago, for which I apologised immediately and profusely.)

vsski

#3731 Post by vsski » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:37 pm

Getting back to the actual thread about Kino’s shoddy QC, while of course everyone can choose to buy their discs as they please, I for one stopped buying them altogether, even if it’s a title I may be interested in. Instead I’m typically waiting / hoping that one of the UK labels publishes the same title, as based on my experience in many cases it turned out to be superior than the Kino one (thinking of many of the Eureka silent films here as an example). I believe Domino is correct that by now they have a volume strategy and most of what they are putting out is acceptable, but seldom outstanding or reference quality. And if you combine this with the atrocious behavior of their reps, I see no reason to spend my money on this label. At it stands, every month there are more discs put out than I have the money to buy or time to watch, so since I have to make a selection anyhow, why would I buy a title from a label with a questionable track record over an equally interesting title from a label I trust more. And yes, I can hear people say Kino has put out some titles no one else did, and of course if this is one that’s been on someone’s top of the list, they will by it. I for one no longer want to deal with this label.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3732 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:18 pm

Eh, if it's the best available version of a film I'll still buy it, and occasionally they'll put out something like this year's Ken Jacobs set, which I would consider both essential and unlikely to be replicated by another label (at least in its entirety)

Finch

#3733 Post by Finch » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:51 pm

To add to swo's point, no one in the UK has released Nothing Sacred, never mind twice, or the Tyrone Power Mask of Zorro. And the Kino BD of Five Graves to Cairo is the best available disc of the film though that is admittedly more due to Universal sending the older master to MoC by mistake than of Kino's own doing. They also put out a very respectable release of Confidence which I don't see Second Run topping. They have sales frequently enough that I feel like grabbing their WC Fields releases (unless Indicator or another UK label come through within the next 12 months) down the line. I've been lucky enough that the titles I wanted from them haven't had flawed masters or Kino futzing with them for the worse (a la Bitter Moon) but I'm definitely not preordering any title from them.

dwk

#3734 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 pm

As Finch said, they have so many sales that the discs are often cheap enough that, even if the release is a little below average, you usually don't feel ripped off.

I hate to admit, but as my viewing habits have changed, I don't really need oodles of extras for every disc I buy. So often I'd prefer a light on extras disc for $10 over a disc that is loaded with interviews that need to be edited (coughshoutfactorycough) that costs $25. But, as the market continues to shrink, I don't know how sustainable the light on extras, high volume of releases model is. I assume most people would prefer buying digital instead of buying a Blu-ray that only has a commentary track.

nitin

#3735 Post by nitin » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:31 am

I only buy Kino titles in their sales, usually at a price that means I dont feel ripped off if there is a cockup or a much superior edition is released elsewhere. Having said that, I did order 100 titles from their recent sale simply because I cant see too many of them getting other releases.

Calvin

#3736 Post by Calvin » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 pm

In other Kino news, they've confirmed that they have John M. Stahl's When Tomorrow Comes

Red Screamer

#3737 Post by Red Screamer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:59 pm

Wonderful news, an all-time great melodrama!

Finch

#3738 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:45 pm

I've not seen When Tomorrow Comes but it sounds intriguing (weird though that they haven't also gotten the other Irene Dunne/Charles Boyer pairing, Love Affair)!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3739 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:52 pm

It’s public domain, they may not have resources or desire to do so

Red Screamer

#3740 Post by Red Screamer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:28 pm

MoMA just restored Love Affair, is playing the print in December, and planning on a home video release, sez Dave Kehr.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3741 Post by soundchaser » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:40 pm

In a two-pack with their restoration of Rosita, no doubt. (Which is to say: don’t hold your breath.)

Ribs

#3742 Post by Ribs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:11 am

With the announcement of Dressed to Kill coming soon, Kino has really dove headfirst into former Criterion MGM titles with potentially problematic crossdressing plotlines on UHD, this making the third such title.

bfaison

#3743 Post by bfaison » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:01 pm

vsski wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:37 pm
while of course everyone can choose to buy their discs as they please, I for one stopped buying them altogether, even if it’s a title I may be interested in.
I've been "boycotting" Kino for years, buying only second hand or not at all. I totally understand people who still buy their products, but I personally won't support them directly and cringe whenever a film I might want in my collection is bought up and spit out by them. Doubt I'm hurting their pockets any though, reading the blu-ray forum after every new debacle is like observing cases of Stockholm syndrome.

dwk

#3744 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:41 pm

Ribs wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:11 am
With the announcement of Dressed to Kill coming soon, Kino has really dove headfirst into former Criterion MGM titles with potentially problematic crossdressing plotlines on UHD, this making the third such title.
I have to admit I always chuckle when I see replies to Kino's MGM UHD announcements about how they are "destroying" Criterion by getting the rights to release these on a format that is still barely cracking 7 or 8 percent of the market. Followed by the inevitable bitching that Kino screwed up the audio/etc. when said titles are released.

Calvin

#3745 Post by Calvin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:56 pm

Kino have said on Facebook that they asked for Blow Out but it was unavailable

dwk

#3746 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:00 pm

It is possible that Criterion were able to get the UHD rights to Blow Out when they got the UK rights.

Finch

#3747 Post by Finch » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:26 pm

Hopefully at least some reviewers will pay proper attention to the Dressed to Kill disc. I have the Arrow and skipped the Criterion.

dwk

#3748 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:53 pm

Kino also said that Carrie is with another label.

nitin

#3749 Post by nitin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:53 pm

Hopefully Arrow have Carrie then. Also hopefully release Dressed to Kill with proper mono instead of a downmix of the 5.1, which is bit of a botch job.

black&huge

#3750 Post by black&huge » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:26 am

dwk wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:53 pm
Kino also said that Carrie is with another label.
If not Shout then a 4k criterion release would be the perfect opportunity to reintroduce it into the collection