Second Sight Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
rapta

Re: Second Sight Films (UK)

#926 Post by rapta » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:27 pm

Nope, it was through Icon, whom Second Sight often license from (e.g. Drive, The Babadook, The Mummy, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, It Follows, The Guest). There are several other Icon titles I'd love to see them release one day, but no idea if they're possible (Ghost World, The Road, Y tu mama tambien, Babylon).

Somehow I forgot that Second Sight were also licensing from Altitude, as their release of Titane has been 'in the works' for what seems like forever, so Green Room was a nice surprise (although kind of annoying as I finally bought the Altitude disc just a month ago). There are others I could see them interested in though, namely The Florida Project (they already did Tangerine), Moonlight, Pig, Mandibles, and obviously Talk to Me (but that's had a recent 4K release, so probably not for a while).

Rupert Pupkin

#927 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:15 pm

Do you think there is a chance that Second Sight also release Brandon Cronenberg's second movie "Infinity Pool", in UHD+Blu-Ray disk in its uncut version ?

Finch

#928 Post by Finch » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:03 pm

I think the film was distributed by Universal in the UK so it shouldn't be difficult to license.

Finch

#929 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:34 pm

On April 8

LE Bluray
standard BD
Director: Elliot Goldner

Starring: Robin Hill, Gordon Kennedy, Aidan McArdle

A small team of Vatican investigators arrive at a remote church in hopes of demystifying the buildings unusual goings on, but what they discover is more disturbing than they could ever imagine.

Special Features

New audio commentary by Actors Robin Hill and Gordon Kennedy, Producer Jennifer Handorf and Special Effects Artist Dan Martin
Dressed the Part: a new interview with Robin Hill and Gordon Kennedy
Losing Faith: a new interview with Jennifer Handorf
Monster Goo: a new interview with Dan Martin
Archive featurette: Behind the Scenes

Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Christopher Shy
70-page book with new essays by Tim Coleman, Martyn Conterio, Shellie McMurdo and Johnny Walker
6 collectors' art cards

Catalogue number: 2NDBR4212

Certificate: 15

Region: Region Free
Language: English

Subtitles: English for the Hearing Impaired

Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

What A Disgrace

#930 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:57 pm

With Second Sight releases, I am often as happy to save shelf space by not purchasing something as I am to eat up shelf space by purchasing something.

therewillbeblus

#931 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:46 am

When should we expect another SS announcement? Looks like it's usually the first or second Friday of the month, but they also skipped last month(?)

rapta

#932 Post by rapta » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:33 pm

They seem to be semi-random these days. I'd imagine they're deciding if they can finally announce The Hitcher or not, but there are a few others also to get out this year I'd imagine (namely Possession, Titane; I also wonder if they're going to upgrade Assault on Precinct 13, and whether they'll do Day of the Dead as well).

therewillbeblus

#933 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:41 pm

I sold my Assault on Precinct 13 blu of theirs a while ago in anticipation, so hopefully! But Possession would be my priority, especially if you’re competing with other companies releasing it on 4K

Finch

#934 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 pm

When The Hitcher gets announced eventually, I reckon that because of the stipulations imposed on them already by Warner of not releasing the film sooner at the request of a third party, and akin to the Dawn of the Dead situation, Second Sight may not honor direct orders from outside the UK (I think there was one other film where they cancelled and refunded non-UK preorders) and that whoever releases the film over here, may be requesting from DiabolikDVD and Orbit that they not stock this title, as is happening already with some titles from Vinegar Syndrome that have had a concurrent UK release (Grindhouse were the only US boutique retailer stocking Radiance's Szulkin set, for example).

therewillbeblus

#935 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:36 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 pm
(Grindhouse were the only US boutique retailer stocking Radiance's Szulkin set, for example).
swo's recent alternative recommendation, Atomic Movie Store, is only stocking Radiance's set FYI

perkizitore

#936 Post by perkizitore » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:39 pm

Is there a chance they release Stop making sense in 4K? A24's release is very expensive.

nicolas

#937 Post by nicolas » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:40 pm

perkizitore wrote:Is there a chance they release Stop making sense in 4K? A24's release is very expensive.
They already confirmed that they aren’t, sadly.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#938 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:06 pm

Is there any way to get A24 releases outside A24's store?

ryannichols7

#939 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:45 pm

nicolas wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:40 pm
perkizitore wrote:Is there a chance they release Stop making sense in 4K? A24's release is very expensive.
that genuinely shocks me, I wonder if it's a rights issue or they don't think it'd sell? cause if it's the latter I'd be seriously stunned. really don't want to give A24 money ever
swo17 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:06 pm
no, they love charging hypebeast prices

nicolas

Second Sight Films (UK)

#940 Post by nicolas » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:54 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
nicolas wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:40 pm
that genuinely shocks me, I wonder if it's a rights issue or they don't think it'd sell? cause if it's the latter I'd be seriously stunned. really don't want to give A24 money ever
swo17 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:06 pm
no, they love charging hypebeast prices
I‘m not sure what the issue is. I thought it was a rights thing with A24 now owning the film (similar to Pi) or at least the new restoration itself just like Turbine and The Frighteners’ four-year exclusivity. However there’s a German BD of the new Stop Making Sense 4K master in the works by a very, very small label that simply doesn’t have the budget for anything massive. By now, this label almost exclusively releases films by Christian Petzold on barebones BDs and DVDs. Therefore, I can’t imagine the problem being money related. Maybe A24 have UK rights as well. Hopefully we’ll get something from France or Italy.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#941 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:35 pm

A24 are notoriously overcharging France for distribution rights because oui are ze country of sinémah, like, overcharging by so much several movies are stuck because no distributor are going to pay that considering the box office they'll do. I'm not sure if that's the case of home video rights, but it might very well be the case. And then, there'll be the issue for Stop Making Sense that Carlotta already released it on BD 5-6 years ago and they're not really upgrading movies this way, so it looks unlikely except if the rights change hands.

nicolas

#942 Post by nicolas » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:35 pm

tenia wrote:A24 are notoriously overcharging France for distribution rights because oui are ze country of sinémah, like, overcharging by so much several movies are stuck because no distributor are going to pay that considering the box office they'll do. I'm not sure if that's the case of home video rights, but it might very well be the case. And then, there'll be the issue for Stop Making Sense that Carlotta already released it on BD 5-6 years ago and they're not really upgrading movies this way, so it looks unlikely except if the rights change hands.
You just crushed all my hopes. :(
Sad that this keeps happening re. A24 being greedy. We’ll see how ze German BD turns out but I’m not expecting much. The label Piffl Medien that got the rights messed up Petzold’s Afire in more ways than one as we saw once I made the comparison with the Janus BD (low-pass filtered picture, color alterations and heavily compressed audio), all of which could affect Stop Making Sense, too. I’m definitely waiting for reviews and bite the bullet if no miracle happens and SS announce a UHD in the coming months.

therewillbeblus

#943 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm

New titles are up (all blu-ray, no 4K):

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum
The Sacrament
Heimet

Is this just a re-release of Heimet? Looks the exact same as the previously-OOP blu-ray set

willoneill

#944 Post by willoneill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 pm

According to their newsletter, it's just a new standard edition version of the same set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#945 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 pm

Where's Heimat 2?!

therewillbeblus

#946 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 pm
Where's Heimat 2?!
That's what I'm wondering

What A Disgrace

#947 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm

I'm sure the logistics of a Heimat 2 release is formidable. That's at least a 10 disc set, probably more.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#948 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

They released it on DVD

What A Disgrace

#949 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 pm

I thought that was Artificial Eye and/or Tartan? In any case, they haven't released anything close to that size in recent years.

I'm not saying they won't release it, I'm just saying that It's probably a challenge to their current model.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#950 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 pm

Second Sight have definitely released it and I thought I remembered something about a Blu-ray being forthcoming, which prompted me to sell off the DVD set. Also, they routinely put out super-thick multi-disc sets